acEofspadEs6313
Shiny! Let's be bad guys.
+102|6702|NAS Jacksonville, Florida
Ok, I'm on a very small amount of cash right now for this, and I was wondering what I should upgrade out of these:

MoBo: ECS PT800CE-A (1.0) Socket 478 VIA PT800CE ATX Intel Motherboard
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT 128MB
RAM: GeIL 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory (Two of these)

Many thanks in advance for all of you tech guys who help me!

Last edited by acEofspadEs6313 (2007-01-17 21:27:39)

Volatile
+252|6714|Sextupling in Empire

No need to upgrade until Crysis comes out.

But if you need to spend money, I'd say ram.

Edit: Actually, just save for a few months and buy a whole new pc if possible. You'll just be prolonging the inevitable by spending money on your current rig.

Last edited by Volatile_Squirrel (2007-01-17 21:34:45)

CommieChipmunk
+488|6579|Portland, OR, USA
You should probably just go kill yourself

ESC mobos suck, horribly
6600gt, pretty old school
1 GB you need two.

my advice, save up for a whole new system.
acEofspadEs6313
Shiny! Let's be bad guys.
+102|6702|NAS Jacksonville, Florida

CommieChipmunk wrote:

ESC mobos suck, horribly
1 GB you need two.

Well, I'm only 17, and I'm gonna be shipping to Boot Camp in August. I'm just looking for something to hold out my system until Christmas or so since my brothers will still be using it. I'm planning to buy a new system for them this Christmas.
Reciprocity
+721|6590|the dank(super) side of Oregon
right now, unless you go all out with a new system,  it is sorta pointless to upgrade.  Don't waste any money on a mobo.  unless your upgrading from onboard video to a card, it's not worth it.  ram might be your best bet, but nothing new will takes ddr,  so you cant carry it over.  1 gig is good, but for most recent games, 2 gigs is much better, especially BF2/2142.

Last edited by Reciprocity (2007-01-17 21:59:57)

B00MH3ADSH0T
Fresh NoobCaeks Here
+118|6400|Penrith,Nsw, Aus
Ok well vid card and ram is what you need. 1 more gb should do or maybe a 7600gt or 7800gt or an ati card.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6579|Portland, OR, USA

acEofspadEs6313 wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

ESC mobos suck, horribly
1 GB you need two.

Well, I'm only 17, and I'm gonna be shipping to Boot Camp in August. I'm just looking for something to hold out my system until Christmas or so since my brothers will still be using it. I'm planning to buy a new system for them this Christmas.
Boot camp that's too bad...

I'd either go for a 6800 gt, which is a really nice video card, or another 1 gb of ram
MrPredictable
+14|6696
ram would be best, the vid card should last you a while more.
RiceKrispie
+27|6397|Ottawa, ON
512 RAM is pretty weak, so more RAM would likely give you the most noticeable boost. However, like it's already been said, buying DDR memory is a bit pointless since everything new uses DDR2. Honestly, it's a bit late to be upgrading that sort of system. If stuff is playable on the machine as it is now, you're better off saving your money.
{RR}SinisterCaesarSalad
+1|6762|Appleton, WI

RiceKrispie wrote:

512 RAM is pretty weak, so more RAM would likely give you the most noticeable boost.
I think he said he has 2 of them, which would be 1 Gig, right?  If you have any more RAM slots, get at least 1 more 512.  There isn't much you can do elsewhere for improvement.  BF2 makes the older P4's cry.  More RAM will help with load times and the shuddering at the begining of each match.  should be able to pick a stick up for under $50.
If you have decent cooling for your case, you can download NVidia's forceware software and overclock the videocard a little bit.  Even a 10% overclock shouldn't risk the card, but squeeze a few good frames per sec out of it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard