Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6642|132 and Bush

I would like to just reiterate it is important to embrace those few who are speaking out. Despite how you may feel personally towards their culture, the greatest ally the west has in the struggle against Radical Islam is the Moderates. The only way the terrorism ideology can be defeated is when the Moderates themselves do so. We must support them when they do step forward.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 17, 2007
16:57 MECCA TIME, 13:57 GMT

https://stormsurge.us/Store/ll.jpg
Students said they would continue to attend classes despite
the threat of violence [AFP]

Iraqi students condemn bombings          
Students said they would continue to attend classes despite the threat of violence [AFP]

Dozens of Iraqi students have protested against Tuesday's twin bombings at Baghdad's Mustansiriya university that killed 70 people and wounded nearly 140 others.

Around 60 students from the University of Technology staged a sit-in in the district of Karada demanding more protection for students, professors and teachers.

"We condemn the terror attacks against students," said a banner held by one student.

Others shouted: "We want the government to protect the students and professors from terrorists," as security forces sealed off the area.

One of the students, Yasmin Mohammed, said: "This attack is not targeting a specific sect. The university has students who are Shiites, Sunnis, Kurds and Christians. It is a war on everything associated with Iraq."

She added that Tuesday's attacks will not deter her from attending classes despite her family's objections.

"I insisted, as [boycotting] would give a victory to the terrorists," she said.

Another student, Yasir Mohammed, said universities needed to continue to function.

"Despite the ugliness of the act, education in Baghdad will not stop.

"Such an act is not the first of its kind in Iraq nowadays. It is however different as it was meant to stop the wheels of education. But we will pursue our study until the last professor and last student."

Violence continues

Police sealed off the renowned Mustansiriya university campus as the education ministry ordered three days of mourning and told its institutions to conduct prayers for the victims.

Dozens of Iraqis donated blood for the victims of the attack, which marked the deadliest bombing since a series of car bombs ripped through the Shia area of al-Sadr City on November 23, killing 202 people.

The double bombing came as university students, professors and other employees headed home at the end of the day, leaving corpses littered in the street and charred bodies in vehicles.

Violence in Iraq continued on Wednesday as at least 14 people were killed and 42 injured in a bomb blasts in the northern city of Kirkuk and Baghdad.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/ … 371CCD.htm
(Yes I visit aljazeer's website, I also watch foxnews.. go figure)

Assalamu Alaikum

Last edited by Kmarion (2007-01-18 05:04:19)

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6486|The Land of Scott Walker
Thanks for posting this, good story.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6642|132 and Bush

Stingray24 wrote:

Your Welcome.
Can you imagine standing up against something like that to go to school? I had a hard time going and I had nothing like that going on. They are very courageous.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
thtthht
maximum bullshit
+50|6372|teh alien spaceshit
Wow, they're braver than any of us. Here, we find a knife and the school is closed for a year. We have to learn from them.
Stingray24

Kmarion wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Your Welcome.
Can you imagine standing up against something like that to go to school? I had a hard time going and I had nothing like that going on. They are very courageous.
Agreed, you are exactly right about the moderates being the best way to combat the extremists.  Kudos to everyone who had the courage to step up.  That's the only way democracy is going to work.  I'd give you karma if I hadn't earlier.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6642|132 and Bush

thtthht wrote:

Wow, they're braver than any of us. Here, we find a knife and the school is closed for a year. We have to learn from them.
Unfortunately we take education for granted at times.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Stingray24
It would be nice if our media in the US would pick this up, but it's not likely.  Why?  Doesn't fit the "country is mired in civil war" mantra.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6570|Global Command
Excellent!

Everybody team karma Kmarion.
Stingray24
Sadly I will have to wait until tomorrow before I can team karma.
462nd NSP653
Devout Moderate, Empty Head.
+57|6725
Very courageous...I agree with your point of supporting them as well. Hopefully a snowball effect will occur...

Begs a question though. 

Should the US (my country) openly praise/support this?

On one hand, if there is a chance this could lead to some degree of peace in the region and a step towards sovereignty for the Iraqis, should we not stand in visible support of a courageous act?

Or...

On the other hand, given our lack of popularity throughout the Muslim world, would it discourage this type of future effort if it looks like the US has an interest in it?

[edited for grammar]

Last edited by 462nd NSP653 (2007-01-17 20:35:21)

crimson_grunt
Shitty Disposition (apparently)
+214|6695|Teesside, UK

Kmarion wrote:

Iraqi students condemn bombings
Well done to them must have took a tonne of courage.  Must be difficult to speak out like that after all those years under Saddam's rule.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6622|SE London

Oh what's this? Could it be yet another example of muslims condemning the actions of radical islamic terrorists?

I thought this never happened ever (at least that's what I've been told by assorted neo-cons).
rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6601

Bertster7 wrote:

Oh what's this? Could it be yet another example of muslims condemning the actions of radical islamic terrorists?

I thought this never happened ever (at least that's what I've been told by assorted neo-cons).
Don't be so smug. This is not enough. It's a great start but not enough. What we want to see is a 200,000 man march led by all the imans chanting down with alSadr and down with the bombings. That would really change Iraq for the better.
Major_Spittle
Banned
+276|6696|United States of America

Bertster7 wrote:

Hmmm, college students condemning the people that blew up fellow students?  You are brilliant, way to look like an ass.

Maybe you should wait until a real example of muslims condemning the actions of radical islamic terrorists that doesn't  effect themselves or other muslims.  Like:

if they were condemning attacks on American troops who are there trying to stop the violence and protect the country and infrastructure.

You failed.

Last edited by Major_Spittle (2007-01-18 15:32:16)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6622|SE London

rawls2 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Don't be so smug. This is not enough. It's a great start but not enough. What we want to see is a 200,000 man march led by all the imans chanting down with alSadr and down with the bombings. That would really change Iraq for the better.
There is loads more of the same all over the world. The fact that you don't seem to get any exposure to media coverage of it isn't my fault, it's yours.

Here are just a few examples:

In Morocco
https://adloyada.typepad.com/adloyada/images/lon18boybanner.jpg
No to Terror, Down with Terror and Zarqawi
https://adloyada.typepad.com/adloyada/images/lon18moderate.jpg
Yes to the moderate and tolerant Islam

In the US
Which wasn't an enormous success and was the first ever one in the US. Which might explain why Americans seem to have little experience of Islamic anti-terror marches.

In Jordan
https://powerlineblog.com/archives/capt.sge.gre38.181105204822.photo01.photo.default-384x256-thumb.jpg
Where 200'000 people demonstrated against terrorism and al-Zarqawi.

There was one in London too, I saw it.

I could go on, but I think you get the point.

Then of course there are all the senior muslim figures who have condemned all acts of terrorism in the name of Islam. Which is virtually all of them.
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6757
The children of the world are societies only hope... Hopefully they choose peace and understanding... nice article K
Love is the answer
CameronPoe
+2,925|6596
That's un-fucking-believable! You mean there are people in Iraq protesting the fact that people want to blow them up? Jeez - the world is a crazy crazy topsy truvy place...
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6622|SE London

CameronPoe wrote:

That's un-fucking-believable! You mean there are people in Iraq protesting the fact that people want to blow them up? Jeez - the world is a crazy crazy topsy truvy place...
You'd think they'd at least be a bit gratefull.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6642|132 and Bush

CameronPoe wrote:

Yet you have to go to Al Jazeera to hear about it.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
CameronPoe
+2,925|6596

Kmarion wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Al Jazeera, despite misconceptions on the part of many, do actually have a relatively impressive level of journalistic integrity. They criticise their own as much as they criticise the west.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6642|132 and Bush

CameronPoe wrote:

Kmarion wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

Al Jazeera, despite misconceptions on the part of many, do actually have a relatively impressive level of journalistic integrity. They criticise their own as much as they criticise the west.
I read their site everyday. And yes you are right.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6403|Vancouver

rawls2 wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Are no actions against radical Islam good enough for those who attack Islam?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard