jermyang
I've Seen the Saucers.
+38|6748|Norcal, usa
i always say danke instead of thanks, or thank you.
DK_Vision
Self-loathing narcissist.
+41|6378|QUT, GP.
Artische Kriegfuhrungsanderthalbliterflasche

Took me three days of continuous repetition to remember that word, only to find out two years later that it doesn't mean what I thought it did...
djphetal
Go Ducks.
+346|6344|Oregon

ImposedThreat wrote:

um yeah i know, i said it probably because people would recognize it more. No need to get pms over it.
oh no... i wasn't talking about you... I was agreeing that it's poorly translated because of how many people think that it means the wrong thing.
I would have posted the same thing because people would recognize it. In fact, i'm going to give you karma because I should have in the first place because i agreed with you because because because.
And the "get with the picture" thing was mockery of my own "pmsing" about it... but mockery and sarcasm show up very poorly online. Sorry for the confusion.
Skorpy-chan
+127|6353|Twyford, UK
Well, according to the site I get the lyrics and translations from (www.herzeleid.com), 'du hast' is 'you have', while 'du hasst' is 'you hate'. The difference is small in German, but a long stretch in English.
However, the lyrics make barely any sense as 'hate'. (You, you hate, you hate me tied down, etc. etc.) The song is supposedly a twisted parody of wedding vows, which sounds a bit wierd to anyone not German. Considering the German sense of humour (or percieved lack thereof), it makes perfect sense.

As does the subject matter of most of their music, being either something that would carry a 'parental advisory' sticker were it in English and have fundies up in arms over it, or retellings of fairy tales the way they were originally written (dark and morbid and depressing), it's all an ironic joke on their fans, rewarding their translation or learning of German with dirty lyrics.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6773|Dallas
I was always partial to "buettfooker"
Da_Killer_NoooooooB
Bloom County Bound!
+5|6571|San Diego MCRD Plt# 3027
Hello, uh Gesundheit?!?
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6783|Noizyland

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but "Schadenfreude" is a big one. It means taking pleasure in other people's suffering.

FUBAR is an acroynym for "Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition, (or whatever else you want to replace the 'R' with.) It has no grounds in German at all.
Krauser you're thinking of Saving Private Ryan where Corporal Upham was out of the loop while the rest of the squad were using the term. He stated "Hey y'know I've looked up Fubar in my German dictionary and it dosn't seem to be there."
Once Upham had become more a part of the squad, Private Mellish revealed to him what FUBAR meant.

I studied Saving Private Ryan in my last year of school.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Coolbeano
Level 13.5 BF2S Ninja Penguin Sensei
+378|6771

Vilham wrote:

Gawwad wrote:

Uber is american.
Dumbass
No, sir.

You, sir, are the dumbass. Sir.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6755|The United Center
Pimmel.
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6481|Kakanien

UON wrote:

wiener
u americans used to call hot dogs "frankfurter", till ww1. then u changed the name because u were a little bit angry about us germans

reminds me of freedom fries!

Last edited by cl4u53w1t2 (2007-01-14 04:47:57)

cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6481|Kakanien

Skorpy-chan wrote:

Shaudenfreude. Happiness from the misfortune of others, and the root of all humour.
schadenfreude
Skorpy-chan
+127|6353|Twyford, UK

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Skorpy-chan wrote:

Shaudenfreude. Happiness from the misfortune of others, and the root of all humour.
schadenfreude
Now that doesen't look at all right. I would try and look it up on wiki, but these bloody german loanwords and names take multiple tries.
Umibozu_IT
+15|6656|Italy
raus

usually told to dog to tell them to fuck off. why dogs should understand german is beyond me though

srsiouly, too many. btw i speak german so i'm kinda biased

Last edited by Umibozu_IT (2007-01-14 12:30:32)

Nessie09
I "fix" things
+107|6678|The Netherlands

Ty wrote:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but "Schadenfreude" is a big one. It means taking pleasure in other people's suffering.
One quote about this one I'd like to share:
- Schadenfreude, is that some kind of Nazi word?
+ Yes, it's german for: happiness at the misfortune of others
- That IS german

(From the musical Avenue Q)
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6481|Kakanien

Skorpy-chan wrote:

cl4u53w1t2 wrote:

Skorpy-chan wrote:

schadenfreude
Now that doesen't look at all right. I would try and look it up on wiki, but these bloody german loanwords and names take multiple tries.
you're wrong. this word has been adopted directly into the english language

ps: is it true that the word schnaps is used more often than boozer?
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6851|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Snitzel
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6724

Umibozu_IT wrote:

raus

usually told to dog to tell them to fuck off. why dogs should understand german is beyond me though

Raus means out you do know that right?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Umibozu_IT
+15|6656|Italy

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Umibozu_IT wrote:

raus

Raus means out you do know that right?
that's why it's told to dog to tell them to go away. but why should the dog understand?
B00MH3ADSH0T
Fresh NoobCaeks Here
+118|6399|Penrith,Nsw, Aus

Vilham wrote:

Gawwad wrote:

Uber is american.
Dumbass
Whats more funny that guy made a lame attempt to cover his stupidity up by pretending it was a joke.. shame
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6481|Kakanien
reviving one's own old threads is pure win GO ME!!

in an american essay on the cold war i read the word "Realpolitik"

on tv, i heard an american warden in a boot camp say: "sometimes i'm like a Feldwebel!"

a propos warden, do you english guys use the word "Aufseher"?

Last edited by cl4u53w1t2 (2009-03-03 12:54:55)

Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6482|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Und keine eier!
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|5551|Toronto
Das Boot.

Surprised nobody said it. Twas a kick-ass movie.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6501|N. Ireland
Hitler
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6629|London, England

Pochsy wrote:

Das Boot.

Surprised nobody said it. Twas a kick-ass movie.
How is "Das Boot" a word directly adopted into the English language? It was a good film though I'll hand you that.

The point is that any word from any language can be adopted into the English language, especially when people want to try to sound smart/upper class they often replace English words with German/French words, especially French. So like when someone says Shaudenfreude or Raison 'd'etre or however they're fucking spelt. There's a word for everything in every language and it's easy to replace words in Modern English with words from another language just to sound smart or posh.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6462|The Twilight Zone
strudel
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard