Poll

Would kit balance improve if medics carried carbines?

Yes47%47% - 57
No52%52% - 62
Total: 119
Jemme101
M24 Abuser
+99|6492|Valley of the Dragons
The bleeding concept is nice, because it worked in old skool Day of Defeat. You could use a bandage to stop it yourself in that game, but only if you forfeited any action for the time it took to apply the bandage.
If you would translate it to BF2 this would mean that the Medic would be more in support of a squad and less in the forefront.
Having said that it would take away from the action/fps speed of the gameplay however. When you want some more realism there are probably other games that cater to that need.

On a sidenote I think most people that play BF2 are ready for some improvements of the game in a new version of the game called BF3. On all the forums I visit I see lots of threads about similar topics as this one.
voltage
+46|6832|Sweden
It wouldn't make much difference imo.

ramsie1 wrote:

give medics smgs and problem solved
Hear hear!
Longbow
+163|6638|Odessa, Ukraine

Barrakuda777 wrote:

Medic shock paddles now no longer REVIVE a friendly, they simply save the teams ticket.
Medics can no longer restore 100% health. They can stop bleeding and recover 30% of health by directly healing a friendly (selects medpack, and pushes use )(30% is an arbitrary number)
The respawn timer is greatly reduced
That will bring reality aspect and kill gameplay aspect .

Barrakuda777 wrote:

All other roles have grenade cap reduced to 1 except assault (increase to GL and 2 grenades) and support which gets an M79 (grenade launcher)
Support SHOULD NOT carry any kind of explosives  , unless every support noob will spam them like they do with nades now .

Barrakuda777 wrote:

Bleeding introduced - beeding is simply a way of reflecting the fact that being shot really really hurts and that if untreated the bleeding will kill you! Bleed is a constant rate of health loss, solved by visiting a friendly medic. For balance sake lets say bleed is at 1 bar of health every 20 seconds. This makes support cover fire a bit more dangerous, and will probably make alot more kills mutual (think the pistol reload of the sergent in saving private ryan - at the end...). This ensures medics are as vital to a team win as they are presently and places more emphasis on their squad support role, better emphasised by them having only 1 grenade as well.

The reduction in spawn time helps make battle very hard once teams of equal numbers meet (basically the side with better teamwork or numbers prevails).  Good medics help the team by "treating" dead friendlies, reducing the death counter to 0 and spawning them back in on their squad leader to lend their fire back into the fray.
Ever heared of Project Reality mod ? I play it sometimes , It's fine mod , but : if you're in crappy team , 40 seconds to respawn = boring .
Bleeding is ok , If you play with good skilled players . If you play with noobs and you're not medic = boring .
Skorpy-chan
+127|6337|Twyford, UK
On the bleeding idea, it's entirely superfluous. Guns do so much damage compared to the health bar that any little accident or bit of splash damage will finish you off after a firefight if not healed quickly.
Marinejuana
local
+415|6577|Seattle

SmackDowN wrote:

SmackDowN wrote:

Well before there wasn't an infantry only mode, kits were balanced, cause a medic isn't worth shit when facing a vehicule... You wanted an infantry only mode, take what comes with it.
there again, IT IS NOT OVERPOWERED, it's your game mode that is.
sorry, wrong. medics also were the most powerful kit pre 1.4. assault, support, and snipers also cant kill vehicles. yet good medics make these kits their bitch because their kit is advantaged. It takes a headshot to kill a good medic because he will be gone and healing the moment you land your first shot. If medics are so difficult to kill compared to other kits, they don't need the best selection of weapons to boot.

Flecco wrote:

Marinejuana wrote:

lord_tyler_486 wrote:

This still wouldn't change the fact that medics can shred AT, engineer, sniper, spec OPs, or support at most ranges. Isn't that a little backwards?

There isn't really an issue of assault being weak. Medics just might be a bit overpowered.
Nope, I have no problem taking medics out as any class and the medic should be able to beat the shit out of everybody BUT assault.
the point isnt whether you can kill medics with other kits. believe me, lots of people here can do that. the point is that medics are pimped out, so its just a fact that as a medic, its easier to own than any other kit.

If you play smart and heal yourself/use cover, the odds are even stacked powerfully against assault. I like the kit (a lot), but the fact is that between good players, fights can take a minute, and while the assault will be on one bar of health a minute into the fight, the medic will be fresh as a daisy. you will only enjoy that extra bit of body armor as assault if a medic is willing to just lay down and trade shots openly. its easy enough to never let this happen, which is why the kits are out of balance.

voltage wrote:

It wouldn't make much difference imo.

ramsie1 wrote:

give medics smgs and problem solved
Hear hear!
ARs own the close range fights more than any other weapon (cept shotties). You give them to medics and suddenly they are face to face with everyone, leading fights, but not necessarily hanging back to do their job. ARs have potential at long range, so thankfully every medic is not mindlessly charging the CQC battle.

Giving medics SMGs would be an incredibly bad idea because then they could ONLY be useful at the kinds of ranges where they are as likely to be killed as revive a teamate. You would have a weapon that encourages the medics to be gungho and not do their job.

I specifically suggest carbines, b/c in BF2, carbines reward players that hang back and use cover a lot. Medics would find it easier to support teamates with a carbine, yet they would find it more difficult to simply charge through the map facing off with support and assault.

medics with SMGs would mean that only highly skilled players could do the job of a medic. This would mean hardly any useful medics on the battlefield. That doesn't really solve the problem now does it?
Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6541|EUtopia | Austria
In my eyes, a medic isn't 'worth' of carrying anything more than a handgun or pdw.
Carbines would come close, but an assault rifle is rather ridiculous, since the medic should be able to sprint long distances without too much weight. If EA had given them weaker (lighter) weapons, they would have also had to increase the sprint even more.

And pdws are not such a bad idea, however, they must be able to be set to semi-automatic mode and as accurate as regular pistols, if not even more accurate.
Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6353|Vancouver
I used to play nearly exclusively Assault on Wake Island. I was an amazing shot with the grenade launcher, and I did well by kills and flag capturing. I used to amaze myself with how well I did. Once, I singlehandedly attacked a base by destroying two transport vehicles, killing five infantry, a Black Hawk, all within a short amount of time. I try not to brag, but to set up how the game has evolved and how I have changed my focus.

With the change of the grenade launcher, I needed something else to get the points. I used to be all about teamwork on Wake, but now it matters less, with so many lacking teamwork. A Medic was perfect. Same gun (same power), with medical supplies to give teamwork points. Essentially, you can kill almost as well with a Medic as you can an Assault, but also gain a large amount of healing and revive points. Unfortunately, this gets abused, by medics who only revive, especially when you die repeatedly, and they return to get more points. It infuriates me, but there is little I can do. Medics also heal themselves, another great reason to be one. I agree they are better than Assault, at least for me.

Should they carry carbines? Not necessarily, but some avenues should be explored.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard