san4
The Mas
+311|6841|NYC, a place to live
Second hand smoke is the real deal. Very bad.

Secondhand smoke causes approximately 3,400 lung cancer deaths and 22,700-69,600 heart disease deaths in adult nonsmokers in the United States each year.... Secondhand smoke is responsible for between 150,000 and 300,000 lower respiratory tract infections in infants and children under 18 months of age, resulting in between 7,500 and 15,000 hospitalizations each year, and causes 1,900 to 2,700 sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) deaths in the United States annually.

From http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dv … mp;b=35422

U.S. Surgeon General Richard H. Carmona today issued a comprehensive scientific report which concludes that there is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Nonsmokers exposed to secondhand smoke at home or work increase their risk of developing heart disease by 25 to 30 percent and lung cancer by 20 to 30 percent. The finding is of major public health concern due to the fact that nearly half of all nonsmoking Americans are still regularly exposed to secondhand smoke.

From http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2006pres/20060627.html
ghettoperson
+1,943|6802

So I guess the moral of the story is, if you see a smoker, punch him/her, as they're killing your children!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6804|USA

ATG wrote:

My stepfather and business partner came down with lung cancer four months ago.
Two months of chemo and hes aged 15 years and fading fast.

Ban tobacco now, legalize da reefer!

Its all about money, that tobacco is legal, yet the biggest cash crop in America is bud. Go figure.
ATG, I love ya man, and you know it, I am also sorry for your step dads failing health. Here's the thing though. Instead of banning all of these products, we need to be exercising some personal responsibility and not picking up habits that are known to kill us. I will us my self as an example and probably as a target. I could stand to drop a few pounds ( who couldn't?) but tell me why I should be able to blame McDonald's for being over weight? There is absolutely no difference in this analogy..

Now to address those that are gunna wanna hit me with all of addictive additives in cigarettes that are put there to get us hooked. MY response to this is, all of those that DIDN'T know cigarettes are bad for you are dead or dying. Those that picked up smoking in the last 35 years KNEW the health risks. I see teenagers smoking all day long. IT is our own individual choices, I know no one wants to hear it, but  PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY once again raises its undeniable ugly but truth filled head..

Again ATG, I hope the best for you and your Dad.

Last edited by lowing (2007-01-13 20:12:53)

PASSUBY
+30|6786|Louisiana
Well, I have to say that I was a "former" cigarette smoker until about a month ago. I have smoked for approximately 20 years.
I don't want to sound like a campaign add...But I have been on http://www.chantix.com/content/Chantix_ … mepage.jsp for a month and I have to say this is the BEST I have felt in 20 years. Thank God there are people that make medicine for people like me who were addicted to smoking. I have tried other STOP SMOKING medicines and this is THE BEST!
So, if your concerned about your health as well as others around you....Check it out..
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6714
Because it's hard to make something illegal when lots of people use it.
BVC
+325|6849
Its illegal in bars/cafes/restaurants here, and indoors at businesses.

I'd be happy if they banned it (and legalised weed ), the mere smell of it makes me sick sometimes.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard