Sgt_Sieg
"Bow Chicka Bow Wow." The correct way.
+89|6771
Well I just say a hiphop thread so, why not make a punk rock thread? It's mainly for people who like punk to discuss artists and albums, so I won't explain as much, but as Krappyappy did, I'll post the most common forms of punk:

Classic Punk
Post-Punk
Hardcore Punk
Oi Punk
Pop Punk
Straightedge Punk
Anarcho Punk

Just for kicks, feel free to discuss and ska you like too.

I'm partial to Hardcore, Oi and Straightedge myself. My all-time favorite album is probably Damaged (by Black Flag). Some of my preferred bands:
Black Flag
Against Me!
DKM
Whole Wheat Bread
Rancid
Hot Water Music
Suicide Machines
some really early Offspring stuff
Refused

And Ska:
Streetlight Manifesto
Voodoo Glow Skulls
Sense Offenders
The Aquabats

What say you, fellow punkers?
splixx
ChupaCABRA
+53|6735|Omaha, Nebraska
I used to be into the straight edge scene way back in like 86-90 I think it was. Still have all my old first 7" presses of Judge, Side By Side, Billingsgate, GB, Unity and so much more... I so wish I could have seen the GB concerts this last summer. Sigh I had no idea till I looked on ebay I just don't keep up that much with that stuff anymore.
unholypoo
unholy what?
+10|6378
Dude, you forgot Catch 22, the Fratellis, Save Ferris,  Real Big Fish, Millencolin, Less than Jake, and The Skeletones.

Last edited by unholypoo (2007-01-10 15:29:02)

Sgt_Sieg
+89|6771

unholypoo wrote:

Dude, you forgot Catch 22, Real Big Fish, Millencolin, Less than Jake, and The Skeletones.
"Some"
Ryan
+1,230|6839|Alberta, Canada

I love punk.
Any kinda of hardcore, fast, punk rock, like Rise Against, Anti-Flag, Chiodos, Behind Crimson Eyes, the Clash, Less than Jake.

What else are we supposed to discuss?
Home
Section.80
+447|6844|Seattle, Washington, USA

I don't listen to punk much, but I've heard of Ska and I'm wondering what it is and how it differs from other styles of Punk. Could anyone explain?
unholypoo
unholy what?
+10|6378

Sgt_Sieg wrote:

unholypoo wrote:

Dude, you forgot Catch 22, Real Big Fish, Millencolin, Less than Jake, and The Skeletones.
"Some"
Well save ferris doesn't really do ska anymore, but they were pretty good when they did.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6593|Seattle

Homeschtar wrote:

I don't listen to punk much, but I've heard of Ska and I'm wondering what it is and how it differs from other styles of Punk. Could anyone explain?
Ska is more happy, hippy stuff.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
unholypoo
unholy what?
+10|6378

King_County_Downy wrote:

Homeschtar wrote:

Ska is more happy, hippy stuff.
With horns. like trumpets, not like goats.
Sgt_Sieg
+89|6771

Homeschtar wrote:

It's kinda like sped up reggae (played more intensely) with horns. Punk-Ska is kinda like a cross between the two. Tomas Kalnoky is the lead singer/guitarist/songwriter for Streetlight Manifesto and they are, in my opinion, the best ska band together now (  http://www.myspace.com/imfeelinggoodeno … rmothertom is a fan site, listen to Keasbey Nights, awesome song).
unholypoo
unholy what?
+10|6378

Sgt_Sieg wrote:

Homeschtar wrote:

It's kinda like sped up reggae (played more intensely) with horns. Punk-Ska is kinda like a cross between the two. Tomas Kalnoky is the lead singer/guitarist/songwriter for Streetlight Manifesto and they are, in my opinion, the best ska band together now (  http://www.myspace.com/imfeelinggoodeno … rmothertom is a fan site, listen to Keasbey Nights, awesome song).
You have to listen to 'Dear Sergio' also.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6593|Seattle

Why has no one mentioned NOFX yet. They'r eone of my all-time favorite bands. Best albums IMO are White Trash, Two heebs, and a Bean; Punk in Drublic; Heavy Petting Zoo; and "I Heard they Suck Live"

Good shit Maynard. I like how short punk songs are too. You'll rarely find one over 1 or 2 minutes long.
Home
Section.80
+447|6844|Seattle, Washington, USA

Sgt_Sieg wrote:

Homeschtar wrote:

Ahhh, I see, I've heard that stuff before. Pretty good.
Sgt_Sieg
+89|6771

King_County_Downy wrote:

Why has no one mentioned NOFX yet. They'r eone of my all-time favorite bands. Best albums IMO are White Trash, Two heebs, and a Bean; Punk in Drublic; Heavy Petting Zoo; and "I Heard they Suck Live"

Good shit Maynard. I like how short punk songs are too. You'll rarely find one over 1 or 2 minutes long.
Slipped my mind. And yeah, just listen to a Minor Threat album, 10 or 12 songs in 15 minutes. Good shit.
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6593|Seattle

Sgt_Sieg wrote:

Slipped my mind. And yeah, just listen to a Minor Threat album, 10 or 12 songs in 15 minutes. Good shit.
I don't wanna hear it, nah, it's bullshit!

I <3 Minor Threat!!!!!
Jasp
Bongabilla
+171|6658|The Outer Circle

Homeschtar wrote:

Dead60's FTW!

Last edited by TPM-J45P3R- (2007-01-10 16:22:43)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/11882/holteendersig2.jpghttps://forums.bf2s.com/img/avatars/11508.gif
Knifey McStabstab
Don't lock my topic!
+32|6505|Indiana
If you like ska, you should probably check out the Specials, or go even farther back to Toots and the Maytals. That's some good shit right there. Or how about Bad Brains and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

Cougar, what do YOU think about ska? I heard you're a big fan.
47man
+46|6420|Cali
Old AFI... i.e. before Black Sails... is how punk is meant to be.
Sgt_Sieg
+89|6771

47man wrote:

Old AFI... i.e. before Black Sails... is how punk is meant to be.
Indeed, I love Very Proud of Ya. The Offspring's first two albums are punktastic as well.. and some of Ixnay on the Hombre. Davey Havok and Dexter Holland probably my favorite punk singers. Tim Armstrong is pretty good too.

Last edited by Sgt_Sieg (2007-01-10 17:02:39)

Skorpy-chan
+127|6341|Twyford, UK
Any punk music after the original few bands fails to hold my attention for long.

The nu-punk stuff was fun at the time, but got old quickly.

Recorded punk music gives me the urge to go back to metal, I believe it's best to go see local bands playing live gigs at a club.

So ends my list of opinions on punk. We need a metal thread.
Vampira_NB
Trying is the first step to failing
+76|6670|Canada Eh?
OMg a punk thread.

I love most types of punk except for that new shit that dumb kids call punk, I'M LOOKING AT YOU SIMPLE PLAN!

Top Punk Bands For Me:
The Misfits (How I got my gamertag)
NoFx
Dead Kennedys (W/Jello Biafra, without him... well you know)
Black Flag (All Hail Rollins,Dez and Robo)
Sex Pistols
The Ramones (This one is obvious)
Anti-Heroes
Anti-Flag
Bad Religion
Rancid
Gob (Pre-that shitty album with "I Hear You Calling")
AFI (I know I know, but listen to their early albums and demos and you'll understand)
The Descendents
Minor Threat
... Ok I named enough

Note: Don't mind my sig, Ive been in an ultra mellow mood as of late, and my tastes are kinda eclectic

Last edited by Vampira_NB (2007-01-10 19:15:17)

Sgt_Sieg
+89|6771

Vampira_NB wrote:

OMg a punk thread.

I love most types of punk except for that new shit that dumb kids call punk, I'M LOOKING AT YOU SIMPLE PLAN!
omg All American Rejects! Hahaha... seriously though...
TeamZephyr
Maintaining My Rage Since 1975
+124|6526|Hillside, Melbourne, Australia
Do any of you people know what punk is?

Some people quoting NOFX, Rancid as PUNK BANDS?!?!?!??!?!
47man
+46|6420|Cali

TeamZephyr wrote:

Do any of you people know what punk is?

Some people quoting NOFX, Rancid as PUNK BANDS?!?!?!??!?!
Better than someone calling Simple Plan a punk band... seriously... if anyone here likes Simple Plan, I suggest you fall on a knife quickly.
AchangelTyreal
360 owns my soul
+31|6505|Behind You
Techno>Punk

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard