Fahrenheit
+0|6779

Flyboy63 wrote:

www.avast.com - best AV ever.
Toyally agree with you there, i use to use AVG but both my comps got compromised cos AVG didnt spot the virus...it also use to crash my system after so many updates...i use microsoft anti spy as well. Zone alarm also hogs resources (for me it did anyway) use to cause mass lag....Bro in law tried Nortons and he swears he got more viruses than ever!!! either Nortons is really good or they send u them so u think its good...lol AVAST does use a bit of sys resources but you can change the settings, ive had no probs since installing it a month ago, and it even picks up viruses in the e-mails, unlike AVG, with AVG i got loads of mail with attachements but it never scanned em till i did it manually....still if it works and ur happy.
psychotoxic187
+11|6709

BlackLegion42 wrote:

Tagmaestro wrote:

BlackLegion42 wrote:

[...]Ad Aware SE Personal and Spybot S&D[...]
LOL.

If you want antispyware that works, download Microsoft's Antispy. It, unlike Adaware and spybot, will actually remove malware from your system.

For anti-virus, go with Norton. McAfee doesn't come close.
I resent Microsoft, they GIVE more ad and spyware than remove it. I could try it, but spybot and adaware removes the crap as well. Just don't trust effing Microsoft.
Where are you getting that Microsofts anti-spyware gives spyware? I use that, and spybot, adaware, spyware doctor, AVG, and I also have etrust internet security suite, I have never had a problem with any of them. I turn them all off when playing games as well. it's also good to have a few of each, as usually 1 thing will not detect everything.
Leatherface-TCM
The Saw is Family
+0|6821

nitro92 wrote:

i downloaded a cracked version of norton 2006 systemworks and it works like a 100% legit copy if u want it i can give u links for it as well as office 2003 PRO
That is smart - download a cracked version of security software - do you ever wonder what the crackers may have added to the little cracked patch you downloaded and installed.
I would never use a cracked version for AV or Security - you are just asking for problems/trouble.
As for other cracked programs - go for it!
Leatherface-TCM
The Saw is Family
+0|6821

OSS-CAPT-SPEIRS wrote:

Just curious, as I have Norton Internet Security 2005 and Webroot Spy Sweeper.  I think one or both of these is really sucking up my system resources.  I am considering going to NOD32 for anti-vrus as people seem to likr it alot and it does not supposedly hog resources, but  I have not heard any direct opnions on it.  I looked at CNET reviews, but I swear it looks like they get $$$$$ from Symantec to give their products top reviews.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Webroot Spy Sweeper is the one EATING all your system resources - it is nuts.
I have it but only run it when needed or once a week/month - if you leave it set to startup with Windows your system will be as slow as shit from a bull moose!

Try disabling it and you will see a HUGE performance/speed increase.

edit:
I use eTrust InoculateIT (enterprise version) but disable it when playing BF2

Last edited by Leatherface-TCM (2006-01-03 10:49:05)

TC><Injecter
+4|6828|Berlin, Germany
Best Scanner: GData ... Best scanner which doesnt take up many resources... NOD32!!!! BTW NOD32 has the best results for virusses it has no defs for... (best heuristik)
StickyBombs
+8|6757|Sacramento, CA (USA)
I used Norton Internet Securty 2006.  I used to use Norton Anti Virus 2005 but everytime I was playing BF2 I would lag out for a sec or two.  Now with 2006 I don't get that.  If you are still having issues with it, just disable to active protection and you should be fine.
SGT_Squirtle
+13|6716
Also something to be aware of when choosing an spyware program is that I read an article that claimed the both Adaware and Spybot had started taking money from advertisers to exclude them from their search. Not sure if this is true or not but it does seem kind of strange that you can run them both and they'll find different things. Whoever said to use the MS Antispyware utility hit it right on the head, I haven't found anything it won't remove. as for AV I use Symantecs Corporate client edition... no annual fee and it catches most everything
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6771|Atlanta, GA USA
I use Norton Internet Security 2006, but I disable it when playing any online games (I also have a hardware firewall).  I have used Norton for a while, and never had any problems with viruses.  I haven't looked into its resource usage.
For spyware detection, I use Spybot and ad-aware.  I had the Microsoft one installed, but it only worked correctly for my Windows user account; it wouldn't load for the other users!
As to others, I have heard that AVG is good (especially since its free).  I know of a few people that had problems with Zone Alarm.  It worked right for a while, then just crapped out.
section9
+9|6848|USA
some free adware stuff
Home
Section.80
+447|6848|Seattle, Washington, USA

I use Norton Anti-Virus, Ad-Watch SE (The purchased version). Ad-Watch is awesome, blocks EVERYTHING. I use Ewido for scanning, and highly reccomend it. After scanning with both Norton and Ad-Aware, I scanned with Ewido and found 150 more items. (The only reason I get these is those times I turn Ad-Watch off or forget to turn it on.)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard