No!! Starcraft is for straight men!53%53% - 45
Total: 84
Zefar
+116|6647|Sweden

acEofspadEs6313 wrote:

Longbow wrote:

Starcraft - more skill
C&C - more fun
Yeah, all you have to do is make a horde of Dragoons or Hydralisks and it's over.
How about this tactic in red alert.

Mammoth tank <--- Like nothing could stop these, not only that the Allied only had Medium tanks for defence.

Red Alert 2

Apocalypse <--There is one tank that actually can do damage againts these but they suck vs buildings.
Prism Tanks with teleport you can easily wipe out bases and almost undefendabled to as they where so powerfull. Not only that but you could make them invincible to.

Any other C&C game you only need to come with a lot of tanks and the war is over. Nothing could stop it unless the other player had the equal or more of the same unit.

In Starcraft you could actually kill those hordes of Dragoons or Hydra Lisk if you used certain tactics. Also most maps have narrow paths so the monsters can't get in that fast. Building certain small buildings here and there will actually stop them pretty fast and shooting with Siege Tank can easily take them out.

Several Siege Tanks in Siege mode. Or get a Reaver from Protoss and it will wipe out several units at once. Like 8-9 of them.

Protoss could cast the Psi Storm and it does like 120 damage total and can wipe out quite a big group of Hydra Lisk.

Being Zerg you could use some Lurkers and it will solve most problems unless they have those that can detect.

Those dragoons had a shield that Terran could knock away with a certain skill. Making them lose half of their life.

But trying to take down 12-24 Battle Cruiser is something that's pretty hard unless you are protoss where you can freeze most of them and focus on few ones till they are all gone.

C&C don't really have any strats but it's really the guy with most units will win. In SC they balanced the game out for years and in order to win you need to be damn quick.

Also my vote goes on SC:Broowar and the next best RTS is TA for sure. :3 C&C comes third.

Last edited by Zefar (2007-01-02 08:44:53)

misconfiguration
GURU
+86|6394|Indianapolis, IN
Broodwar FTW!!
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS

Zefar wrote:

acEofspadEs6313 wrote:

Longbow wrote:

Starcraft - more skill
C&C - more fun
Yeah, all you have to do is make a horde of Dragoons or Hydralisks and it's over.
How about this tactic in red alert.

Mammoth tank <--- Like nothing could stop these, not only that the Allied only had Medium tanks for defence.

Red Alert 2

Apocalypse <--There is one tank that actually can do damage againts these but they suck vs buildings.
Prism Tanks with teleport you can easily wipe out bases and almost undefendabled to as they where so powerfull. Not only that but you could make them invincible to.

Any other C&C game you only need to come with a lot of tanks and the war is over. Nothing could stop it unless the other player had the equal or more of the same unit.

In Starcraft you could actually kill those hordes of Dragoons or Hydra Lisk if you used certain tactics. Also most maps have narrow paths so the monsters can't get in that fast. Building certain small buildings here and there will actually stop them pretty fast and shooting with Siege Tank can easily take them out.

Several Siege Tanks in Siege mode. Or get a Reaver from Protoss and it will wipe out several units at once. Like 8-9 of them.

Protoss could cast the Psi Storm and it does like 120 damage total and can wipe out quite a big group of Hydra Lisk.

Being Zerg you could use some Lurkers and it will solve most problems unless they have those that can detect.

Those dragoons had a shield that Terran could knock away with a certain skill. Making them lose half of their life.

But trying to take down 12-24 Battle Cruiser is something that's pretty hard unless you are protoss where you can freeze most of them and focus on few ones till they are all gone.

C&C don't really have any strats but it's really the guy with most units will win. In SC they balanced the game out for years and in order to win you need to be damn quick.

Also my vote goes on SC:Broowar and the next best RTS is TA for sure. :3 C&C comes third.
Tank rushes don't work as well as you think. An army of yuri clones - you're screwed.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6756|Argentina
Zefar
+116|6647|Sweden

Spark wrote:

Tank rushes don't work as well as you think. An army of yuri clones - you're screwed.
What about the other teams?
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6671|Colorado
TA ftw!
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6764|UK

Cubanpenguin wrote:

Ok now a serious post.

I agree Starcraft, along with Warcraft 2 were very good games and I did have a lot of fun playing both of them I do think however that Command and Conquer was a much more fun and also a much more influential game. I have many memories of playing C&C and wiping out the NOD with a huge division of Mammoth Tanks.

But I think another good reason C&C is a better game is the series it spawned, Red alert 1&2, Tiberian sun and even Generals to a point. They have brought a huge amount of gamers in and have been enjoyed by millions.

I Also really hope to see the new C&C blow all of the other games out of the water.

About Total Annilation I thought it was a good, maybe even great game but I can't really put it up there as the greatest. Although it was fun and challenging I think the real thing that held it back was the story, I never felt compeld to keep going when I was playing where with C&C and Star-Warcraft I always felt I had to continue just to see what the story had in store next.

But to each his own I suppose. Also don't forget about Company of Heroes, it's a great game, maybe a bit too difficult at times but still amazing.

So my ranking would have to be.

1. Command and Conquer Original
2. Command and Conquer Red Alert 2
3. Age Of Empires
4. Command and Conquer Red Alert
5. Warcraft 2
6. Starcraft
7. Age of Empires 3
8. Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun
9. Company Of Heroes
10. Total Annihilation.
11. Command and Conquer Generals
12. Age of Empires 2

Shit forgot Age of empires, Oops!
You = RTS noob. Sorry to say that but I think thats true. C&C is one of the most BASIC RTS games out there. It cant realy get more basic than that. The fact that you put AOE3 even in the top 10 is stupid. WC3 isnt in there when it clearly has one of the best mutliplayer, customs are awesome nothing in other RTS beats those customs. You put RA2 in at number 2... WTF that game was fun but no where near 2nd, Tiberian Sun was a flop for a reason, it realy sucks. TA should be much higher than 10. I could go on but I think you get my point.
Thr1lls33k4
+4|6349|Maastricht, Netherlands
Starcraft owns bigtime!!
i played this game so long now....didnt play it for a while now...but i used to be addicted...
about 8 years ago i played it single player...then after a while i started multiplayer
always played on the money maps...with unlimited minerals it wsa great gameplay and fun
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6617|InGerLand

TrollmeaT wrote:

you both /fail, Total Annihilation was the best rts ever by chris taylor period. I played it 7 years non- stop everyday. It got a crazy amount of awards one of which was best game ever.
Now he's about to out do himself again with supreme commander , its a must own for serious rts gamers because it is greatness.
Behold the game that will dominate the competition for all time http://www.supremecommander.com/ ,
the beta is going very well but it is advised for a game of this scale you will need a dual core to remain competitive, but if all your out for is the pure fun a p4 should do, at least its working for me with all settings on low. With everything on high, it's simply breath taking , Chris Taylor brings to life the games I used to play on paper. I could go on & on about this game but you get the point, one of the options though is using 2 monitors for an edge! Watch the video & remove all doubt from your minds.
i bloody hope supreme commander is good i have put a pre-order in for it already, i need the time to build up the money, so if its dissapointing i'll be pissed off
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6764|UK
Its good, trust me, im in the beta. One of the funnest RTS games ive ever ever played and ive played about 50-60 of them.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6671|Colorado
You wont be disappointed, SupCom will carry RTS into the next decade! They did the biggest expansion ever for TA, so I expect more of the same for SupCom, enjoy I am.
Ubersturmbannfuhrer
I am a fucking homosexual
+211|6605|Parainen, Finland
Jim Raynor Rules!!!!!!!!

I love this game and I´m still playing it now and then!!!!!!

The best campaign is the final Protoss Campaign where you have both humans and protoss against the Zerg!!!!!

They should make a new StarCraft game, I would buy it at once!!!!!

If there is someone who would like to play online Xfire me!!!!!
Chief_(OwNaGe)
+46|6442
Never played it but I checked the site and Blizzard=win. They made WoW, nuff said. AoE is my favorite RTS only because it's pretty much the only one I've played for a long time.
vpyroman
Aeon Supreme commander
+16|6615|UCF
You need to rate these games based on merits, and not graphical advancement, otherwise new clones of old games would win.

AoE is basic to the level of Catapult > everything, and the rock paper tactics.

CnC is great in singeplayer, but its basically the same thing, The Mammoth and Prism Tanks and equivalent > everything else, rock paper tactics. Aside from fast combat, no real innovation

Total Annihilation had true LOS, 3d terrain where position on the maps make a difference,
  User made units,
  Unit acceleration(where units don't go from still to max speed instantly).
  Tech levels(EX ages in AoE series)
  No Attrition battles

Supreme Commander - Fragility of units make mixed unit tactics and time assault necessary, and its an  actually an option(the coordinated attacks via a double click)
  The Innovative Zoom, to the point of icons instead of a rendered unit,
  Dual Battle Screens(you can watch 2 different spots on 1 map with 1 monitor)

Dawn Of War: Fast paced battles
  Instant unit spawn
  Squads of units, not single people bunched together via bandbox
  Vehicles act like truly dangerous armored units
  Visceral Combat

Company of Heroes: The same as Dawn of War, nothing changed save for controlling territory generates income, so you can't turtle, advance or die from attrition.

Never played Starcraft, so I can't comment

But based on merits(and first to be published), its
Total Annihilation
Dawn of War
Supreme Commander
tie of AoE and CnC
Monkeyman911
Dun wori, it's K.
+76|6420|California, US
Yeah I love Command and Conquer Zero Hour
I'm not to good at it online but the fact that you can just make armies of hundreds of Rangers is tight.
Shadow893
lel
+75|6690|England

TrollmeaT wrote:

you both /fail, Total Annihilation was the best rts ever by chris taylor period. I played it 7 years non- stop everyday. It got a crazy amount of awards one of which was best game ever.
Now he's about to out do himself again with supreme commander , its a must own for serious rts gamers because it is greatness.
Behold the game that will dominate the competition for all time http://www.supremecommander.com/ ,
the beta is going very well but it is advised for a game of this scale you will need a dual core to remain competitive, but if all your out for is the pure fun a p4 should do, at least its working for me with all settings on low. With everything on high, it's simply breath taking , Chris Taylor brings to life the games I used to play on paper. I could go on & on about this game but you get the point, one of the options though is using 2 monitors for an edge! Watch the video & remove all doubt from your minds.
OMG  I LOVE THIS GAME - IT IS SOOOOO COOL I THINK I STILL AHE IT AMAZING
specops10-4
+108|6741|In the hills
I played starcraft, VERY FUN!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6770|PNW

[-DER-]Omega wrote:

Company of Heroes is the best RTS to date, IMO.
Decent, but too much micromanagement. I still play it though.
Cubanpenguin
+35|6676|Kingston, Canada

Vilham wrote:

Cubanpenguin wrote:

Ok now a serious post.

I agree Starcraft, along with Warcraft 2 were very good games and I did have a lot of fun playing both of them I do think however that Command and Conquer was a much more fun and also a much more influential game. I have many memories of playing C&C and wiping out the NOD with a huge division of Mammoth Tanks.

But I think another good reason C&C is a better game is the series it spawned, Red alert 1&2, Tiberian sun and even Generals to a point. They have brought a huge amount of gamers in and have been enjoyed by millions.

I Also really hope to see the new C&C blow all of the other games out of the water.

About Total Annilation I thought it was a good, maybe even great game but I can't really put it up there as the greatest. Although it was fun and challenging I think the real thing that held it back was the story, I never felt compeld to keep going when I was playing where with C&C and Star-Warcraft I always felt I had to continue just to see what the story had in store next.

But to each his own I suppose. Also don't forget about Company of Heroes, it's a great game, maybe a bit too difficult at times but still amazing.

So my ranking would have to be.

1. Command and Conquer Original
2. Command and Conquer Red Alert 2
3. Age Of Empires
4. Command and Conquer Red Alert
5. Warcraft 2
6. Starcraft
7. Age of Empires 3
8. Command and Conquer Tiberian Sun
9. Company Of Heroes
10. Total Annihilation.
11. Command and Conquer Generals
12. Age of Empires 2

Shit forgot Age of empires, Oops!
You = RTS noob. Sorry to say that but I think thats true. C&C is one of the most BASIC RTS games out there. It cant realy get more basic than that. The fact that you put AOE3 even in the top 10 is stupid. WC3 isnt in there when it clearly has one of the best mutliplayer, customs are awesome nothing in other RTS beats those customs. You put RA2 in at number 2... WTF that game was fun but no where near 2nd, Tiberian Sun was a flop for a reason, it realy sucks. TA should be much higher than 10. I could go on but I think you get my point.
Basic doesn't mean bad, it can still be a hell of alot of fun and it's personal opinion anyway. I didn't like Warcraft 3 and I don't like Multiplayer RTS games anyway, i'll stick to skirmish anyday, I hate having someone coming at me with a swarm of tanks, dragons, planes or whatever the hell else you'd rush with. And whats wrong with AOE 3, maybe a little bit bland but I enjoyed it, more then I ever did TA.

But just because you disagree doesn't make me a noob. So what I don't like the same ones as you, and not to mention i'm rating for the time so command and conquer while basic now was revolutionary in it's day.

Edit: I forgot what should be number 2, maybe even #1 But Rise of Nations. Amazing game.

Last edited by Cubanpenguin (2007-01-07 16:05:43)

Flecco
iPod is broken.
+1,048|6663|NT, like Mick Dundee

I would have to say TA beats starcraft. A mate and I play RTS over lan every few weeks and he has far more fun kicking the crap out of me on TA than he does on starcraft. I'm shit at rts though.
Whoa... Can't believe these forums are still kicking.
SnobbyBoss
SAS Medic
+18|6738
Ee2!
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6704
Age Of EmpiresII
{DGC}{jr.}Blitzkrieg
+10|6834|Arizona
IMO I compare every RTS I play to Starcraft, personally I think the only thing that's better then SC is Company of Heroes. Tried C&C but I didn't like the way it was setup.
Brasso
+1,549|6629

Starcraft is what got me into PC gaming, really.  Even though I still can't beat the computer....

I think you fans might be interested in this: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/revolution/index.php

They're making Starcraft II and using the Warcraft III engine, for 3D models.    Also, Starcraft is on my top 3 list.

I don't have much faith in C&C III, but then again the only one I played was Generals.  Looking forward to SupCom, although it rapes my rig.

Last edited by haffeysucks (2007-01-07 18:35:23)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
jsnipy
+3,276|6521|...

As much as I like other RTS's more because of longer research trees ... Starcraft utterly wins in terms of balance.

Last edited by jsnipy (2007-01-07 19:08:44)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard