Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6557|UK

Very simple, clan mate of mine claims to have overclocked his CPU to 9GHZ.........  Iv never seen even an Ex6800 clocked past 5ghz without something going wrong so simply is he talking crap?  I dont know what the CPU is that can acheive this mega speed unfortunetly, I will find out.  But considering the CPU's that are out, is that even possible :S?

Martyn
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6501|N. Ireland
Indeed he is. Super overclocks with liquid nitrogen can barely hit 7. So no way has he hit 9 by overclocking.
r'Eeee
That's how I roll, BITCH!
+311|6456

wut is overclocking xD?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6501|N. Ireland
When you make your core speed faster. It processes things faster but can be dangerous.
DeCon_1
+16|6529|Atlanta, Georga U.S.A.
Hes BS because the multiplier on the X6800, which i own, only goes to 20 and is currently set at the factory default of 11. When set at 20 the max you can get is somewhere around 5Ghz. After maxing his multiplier he would have to start overclocking the motherboard. The highest recorded FSB was in a ABIT laboratory test that reached 557Mhz before the quad pump was factored in. There is no way that he could have overclocked his motherboard to a FSB speed like that to overclock his processor to 9Ghz.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6557|UK

Thought as much, though perhaps he has the Qx6700 and thinks the 2.67x4 is giving him that.......  Eventhough that is like 10 (someone cant count 8-) and I know that isnt the same as a true 9ghz processor but maybe that is what hes banking on.  I'll ask him about it tommorow and see what he says, thanks guys I was just like........... WTF how is tht possible when he said it,

Cheers

Martyn
DeCon_1
+16|6529|Atlanta, Georga U.S.A.
Its not, the cores do not run in a combines speed of 10Ghz. Each core runs a 2.67 but they don't work together unless the program running is made to use multiple cores. If no, the other cores will just sit there and run system background programs that run in windows while one core runs the users currently running program.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6590|SE London

I'm pretty sure 9GHz has been done before with an AMD Duron.

He's probably chatting shit tho.
The#1Spot
+105|6548|byah
im surprised your clan mate hasnt died from all of the crap coming out of his mouth
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

Decon have you overclocked yours yet?
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6638|Washington, DC

leetkyle wrote:

When you make your core speed faster. It processes things faster but can be dangerous.
Indeed. One time I overclocked one of those fancy quad-core Core 2 processors, it was liquid nitro cooling. It was going real well, hit around 7GHz. But that wasn't enough for my team. So we pushed her up to 8. Started heating up rapidly. To 9. Even hotter. To 10, starting to level out. When we reached 15GHz, it was hotter than it was on air cooling. We pushed it up a few more, then the heat skyrocketed and steam started shooting out of the computer. My team and I ran into our Humvees as fast as we could and drove to the hills. From there, a few miles away, we saw the explosion. The entire QRX Research facility destroyed in a few moments.

That was quite the Core meltdown.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6533|South Florida

Hurricane wrote:

leetkyle wrote:

Indeed. One time I overclocked one of those fancy quad-core Core 2 processors, it was liquid nitro cooling. It was going real well, hit around 7GHz. But that wasn't enough for my team. So we pushed her up to 8. Started heating up rapidly. To 9. Even hotter. To 10, starting to level out. When we reached 15GHz, it was hotter than it was on air cooling. We pushed it up a few more, then the heat skyrocketed and steam started shooting out of the computer. My team and I ran into our Humvees as fast as we could and drove to the hills. From there, a few miles away, we saw the explosion. The entire QRX Research facility destroyed in a few moments.

That was quite the Core meltdown.
The first 3 lines you had me going lol
15 more years! 15 more years!
jsnipy
+3,276|6531|...

he lies.
Ryan
+1,230|6851|Alberta, Canada

He is lying.
He also reminds me of my friend that said he overclocked him computer from 2GHz to 6GHz. He said his dad spent $5,000 do upgrade...

Ahah, lies, I laughed when he told me that. No way a single-core CPU could be OC'd that high.

Maybe your friend is somewhat dyslexic and meant to say 6 or something. But still, that's a stupid lie.

Last edited by ryan_14 (2007-01-07 19:08:35)

CrazeD
+368|6681|Maine

ryan_14 wrote:

He is lying.
He also reminds me of my friend that said he overclocked him computer from 2GHz to 6GHz. He said his dad spent $5,000 do upgrade...

Ahah, lies, I laughed when he told me that. No way a single-core CPU could be OC'd that high.

Maybe your friend is somewhat dyslexic and meant to say 6 or something. But still, that's a stupid lie.
I believe single-core P4's have hit something like 7.4GHz on liquid nitrogen.

The amount of cores have NOTHING to do with overclockability.
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6501|N. Ireland

Hurricane wrote:

Indeed. One time I overclocked one of those fancy quad-core Core 2 processors, it was liquid nitro cooling. It was going real well, hit around 7GHz. But that wasn't enough for my team. So we pushed her up to 8. Started heating up rapidly
You had me up into there.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard