Spiers.ckz
+10|6566

JeSTeR_Player1 wrote:

The Average FPS player can get a KDR of 1.45

Meaning anyone below 1.45 KDR is poor at BF2.
that, or they dont mind taking one for the team. Anyone can get a KD ratio of 10 by just commanding and dropping arty, or camping as a sniper.
Apoc-SAS
rebmeM
+39|6425|Scotland
0.x may be a positive number but is not a positive kdr. A positive kdr is more than 1. When people say positive they mean the ratio not the number.
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6510|Kakanien

Ur-Jack wrote:

Think everyone has their own anal annoyance.  Mine is when people say 24/7/365 when there aren't 365 weeks in a year, should be 24/7/52.
i hate hippies. and rockabillies. and uneducated bastards. and many more
GetOuttaMyChopper1
+7|6582
I believe that the word "negative" when used in describing one's KDR really means that if it is less than 1, then that player is "negatively" affecting the teams ticket count.  Meaning he is losing more tickets than he is taking from the other team.   That is why I use the term, "Negative KDR" and I don't feel as if I need to prove that I took 10th grade math to everyone by pointing out that 0.x is not a negative number.
[Hive]-Twist
+13|6403

Moggle wrote:

nlsme wrote:

umm no that would be negative, in the fraction then it wouldnt be zero it would be one,5 over 5 would be one so anything less then 5 would be a neg ratio.
Oh boy, let's try again slowly shall we...I'll speak slowly for you so you can catch it.
Any      real     number     greater     than     zero     (including    things    like   1/2,   1/3,   4/5,   1,   2, etc.) is    a    positive    number.   That    means    a   kdr    of     0.anything    is    still     positive    .

I know that many ancient civilisations took a long time to discover / understand the concept of negatives and the null (zero) number, so I'd estimate that you are only about 2000-3000 years behind the rest of the world.
Okay; that is true yet we are still going to call it positive instead of 'Hey billy, my kdr is over one!'
TheBelcorwyn
The Man With the Golden AK
+21|6678|Gainesville, FL

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Every player in the game has a positive K/D ratio....

EVERYONE....Negative numbers are less then 0, not less then one. You would have to either have a negative amount of kills, or a negative amount of deaths for it to be positive...

I know what you mean....and yes its a very stupid thing to bitch about, but its just fingers on a chalk board to me for some reason...
Am I the only one lame enough to be annoyed by this?
Think about it less in the mathematical sense and more in the ability-appraisal sense, wherein 1:1 represents a metaphorical zero, and being on either side of that 1:1 is either good/bad -- positive/negative.  If your K/D is greater than 1:1 (the metaphorical zero), your skill represents a positive while if it is less than a 1:1, it represents deficient skill, and therefore a negative. 

Besides, the ratio is used to assess something's or someone's impact on a bottom line, in which the above example is naturally transferred.  For instance, in economics, if I save 1 dollar for every dollar I spend (1:1), it's breaking even, or zero.  If, however, I save only 1 dollar for every 2 dollars I spend (1:2), it's called deficient spending, or negative spending, which results in an overall negative impact on my bottom line.  Contrarily, if I save 2 dollars for every 1 dollar spent (2:1), my bottom line is affected positively.  Again, the 1:1 ration represents a metaphorical zero, so while my digits remain technically positive integers, they have either a positive or negative representation based on their relationship to one another.

Thus, the term positve/negative K/D.

Belcorwyn

Last edited by TheBelcorwyn (2007-01-04 08:30:14)

Stormscythe
Aiming for the head
+88|6587|EUtopia | Austria
THE WHOLE PROBLEM IS THE FIRST GUY WHO BROUGHT UP A RATIO!

Because what we're talking about is well a ratio, but positive - in this case - can only be a difference
VicktorVauhn
+319|6429|Southern California
wow, this thread got dug back up out of nowhere huh?
arson
+99|6674|New York

Ur-Jack wrote:

Think everyone has their own anal annoyance.  Mine is when people say 24/7/365 when there aren't 365 weeks in a year, should be 24/7/52.
they are referring to days...
Ur-Jack
+4|6414|England
In your interpretation perhaps.  My interpretation reads that it goes up in stages as it just makes more sense to me.  A right or wrong isn't really in my mind, more just what I see in it, and detailing it as my gripe when others see it in their way - which is kind of what the thread was about.  Granted the O.P. had a more quantative discussion and could be discussed as correct or incorrect, mine was a little more open to artistic license but the way in which it nibbles I felt was the same.

Last edited by Ur-Jack (2007-01-04 13:24:49)

GetOuttaMyChopper1
+7|6582
my cats breath smells like cat food
millhous
+39|6674|OREEGONE, USA
mi ratio is teh pwn.
TheBelcorwyn
The Man With the Golden AK
+21|6678|Gainesville, FL

Ur-Jack wrote:

In your interpretation perhaps.  My interpretation reads that it goes up in stages as it just makes more sense to me.  A right or wrong isn't really in my mind, more just what I see in it, and detailing it as my gripe when others see it in their way - which is kind of what the thread was about.  Granted the O.P. had a more quantative discussion and could be discussed as correct or incorrect, mine was a little more open to artistic license but the way in which it nibbles I felt was the same.
Yeah, after giving it some thought, you're interpretation makes more sense... it would end up being 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year.  Otherwise, it would have to be 24 hours a day, 365 days a year--completely bypassing the week classification.

Belcorwyn
[KXK}Karkinos
+2|6522

ryan_14 wrote:

It's just a phrase.
Actually, it's an "idiom".  We cannot take the literal definition of the phrase "positive k/d ratio" or "negative k/d ratio."  Because we all refer to our k/d ratios in such a manner, we know the non-technical definition is applied.  The widespread acceptance makes it an idiom.
Apoc-SAS
rebmeM
+39|6425|Scotland

arson wrote:

Ur-Jack wrote:

they are referring to days...
he knows but its illogical

24 hours in a day
                      |
       ------------
       |
7 days in a week
                     |
       -----------
       |
52 weeks in a year.

Board footer