Charmin
+1|6709
Not to be cocky but I know i have tactical skills, In BF though i have never played commander yet simply cuz i dont know how it all works. And dont want to bother anyone playing.

So from all you experienced commanders, what would be a good start to learn the basics.
hurricane2oo5
Do One Ya Mug !!!
+176|6781|mansfield
just get online and be comander mate. thats the best way to learn
xbw_shane
+-1|6864|Australia
yep when people abuse you, you're doing the wrong thing, when they're quiet, you must be doing ok
Charmin
+1|6709
hahaha you guys are allright, then ill just do that......but how do I apply for the position???
D3xter
+1|6710
You have a few main functions as a commander:
1. UAV
2. Artillery
3. Supplies
4. Scan / Mark
5. Command the Squads

You best set the UAV where the main fight is going or if you see someone/a squad taking an occasion and attacking the enemies main base which would give you a huge advantage (vehicles, position, attack from the back etc.)...usually your teammates are running like lemmings to one single point at the front everyone wants to capture and maybe 1-2 tries something else, mostly even COMMANDING them to attack another point fails... I had squads that denied every single order I gave them.

Best to use Artillery where the enemies main force is or tactically...say you do a scan and you see a single guy or two are trying to cap a tactical position, bombard it and thwart their attack , coming to Scan...it's probably the most important of the "commander tools"...you'll always see when single individuals run somewhere hidden on the map to cap your own main base and you can "spot them" on the 3D-map directly as commander for everyone else to see them and command a squad to attack them...futhermore you can detect and mark snipers and if you defend your main base as commander it will be a lot easier with a Scan.

Commanding is pretty much left to you and your tactical "finesse"...you can command squads to defend, attack, demolish something, repair something or move somewhere as you probably know and I usually don't try to nerve them with obvious things...like one enemy base is left and commanding them all to attack it or something like that, I keep it to tactical decisions...like trying to pass the main force and capture a flag or order them to repair/demolish something etc. Sometimes they listen, usually they don't
emperorphoenix
+5|6791|Westeren Australia
click the apply in the comander box then away u go
elite
+89|6730|Sheffield, England
man you get the most abuse being commander, if ya drop artillery and youre men get killed because they ran into it, they blame you, if you go into battle while commander you get shouted at because you cant do your job properly, if you stay back, against you get shouted and for hiding and doing you job properly.Basically you cant win.
AirForce2076
+1|6758|MN
just practice in singleplayer
Daxmann
+0|6727|Denmark

Charmin wrote:

Not to be cocky but I know i have tactical skills, In BF though i have never played commander yet simply cuz i dont know how it all works. And dont want to bother anyone playing.

So from all you experienced commanders, what would be a good start to learn the basics.
Hey.

You can take a look at this side http://www.secretsofbattlefield.com/command2.php

Last edited by Daxmann (2006-01-03 07:50:01)

Charmin
+1|6709
hey thankx for all the help, im gonna get into this for sure.

What are your thoughts on this, it is something i have experienced during Airsoft combat, when my team was "loosing" (being shot severely or not being able to capture our goal) we just buckled down and went for frags instead of the main objective.
Now every time im in a loosing round, i see everyone still so focused on the CP's instead of just getting frags.

Wouldnt a wise commander command his troops near the end (like 30-40 points) to forget about the CP's and just create a savage crossfire?!
Ub3r-ElitE
Teargas wh0re
+2|6737
Err i'm not meaning to bust your bubble but in public bf2 you're actually not the man who controls it all. Your team isn't listening to you. Never. To be a good commander you just need to support your team. Drop supplys, place UAV and arty wisely, spot every enemy that you see and tell them via chat/voip if someone attacks one of your bases.

The whole strategy part is for clanwars and that stuff
Hyper
Banned
+154|6767

hurricane2oo5 wrote:

just get online and be comander mate. thats the best way to learn
pls do NOT practice online
sheeshus
same as a plane...a chopper
learn to play in SP then go online
Obiwan
Go Cards !!
+196|6711|The Ville
Not true, the best way to practice being a commander is threw single player, You can control the difficulty settings and bump it up a knotch to see if your commander skills can be up to the challenge. Everytime you apply for commander in the single player you get it. Hints no artillery when your not the commander. If you haven't played the single player yet a good cheat would be to log on as commander and control the whole field while killing people hehehhe (medice preferred choice). Use the Uav and supplies to your advantage and you will win.
Charmin
+1|6709
haha i think ill try it all, ive applied online but since im not a very high ranking i never get the job, not that i care much. I ve just gotten into medic, its wicked fun. Just started joining squads although only few use voice comms to communicate a strike.....all but last night, this one guy joined my team just so we could fly together at dalian plant, he stole a chopper picked me up from the carrier and later i was squadleader....apperently you get semi commander isseus at to ask for a UAV drop and such, the manual doesnt say alot about how to use all that. Never the less, gaming has gotten a whole lot more fun since i discovered this team stuff.
GeneralReedy
+0|6706|United Kingdom
commanding is relatively easy once you start playing. just make sure you avoid dropping artilery on your teamates (they show up on the map) and make sure you use uavs and supply drops

your teamates also prefer it if you actually fight as well - many commanders just stay at a base and hide, which i think is stupid!

the best commander is the one that fights like everyone else - captures flags etc - and gives orders and artillery etc.... - my highest score was through doing this, and it is really easy, as you just do something (capture a flag) then every few minutes send the artillery on its way, then carry on fighting until its ready again
as for pratice, you just need to find a decent server (so you get the position), or you ask your team if you can go commander, or simply play in single player

before long youll have your command ribbons and badges like me :p
Daxmann
+0|6727|Denmark

GeneralReedy wrote:

commanding is relatively easy once you start playing. just make sure you avoid dropping artilery on your teamates (they show up on the map) and make sure you use uavs and supply drops

your teamates also prefer it if you actually fight as well - many commanders just stay at a base and hide, which i think is stupid!

the best commander is the one that fights like everyone else - captures flags etc - and gives orders and artillery etc.... - my highest score was through doing this, and it is really easy, as you just do something (capture a flag) then every few minutes send the artillery on its way, then carry on fighting until its ready again
as for pratice, you just need to find a decent server (so you get the position), or you ask your team if you can go commander, or simply play in single player

before long youll have your command ribbons and badges like me :p
Hey.

You don't go and fight with you'r teammate as commander, because you don't get point for killing or captures flags, you'r quest here is to guide you'r teammate and show them where the enemy is.

You can see the enemy but you'r teammate can't.
GeneralReedy
+0|6706|United Kingdom
no the points get added to you command points - trust me i know

and it is much better to help your team, as your an extra player - you can fulfil your duties as a commander and play, its not that hard - only took me a few hours to get my vet commande badge, and staff officer ribbon

it is relativley easy to check the command screen every minute, to carry out your actions, while actually giving your team support on the ground
Daxmann
+0|6727|Denmark
Okay i see ther is hundred of ways playng as a commander, and if it works then go for it

we have all our ways to be a commander
Camp Freddie
+0|6731
Most people don't seem to realise that you can spot enemies as the commander and call them out to the team.  Please, rightclick->spot on the red blobs after you've run a scan.

Even fewer people realise that you can see all enemies in the zoomed in commander view and spot them for the team, even without an active scan/UAV.  An active commander can cover one flag with the UAV while manually spotting around another flag.

Personally, I think that you are a much better team asset if you sit around spotting instead of fighting.
If your team know where the enemies are, it's a hell of a lot easier to kill them.  It's a much more useful asset than just an extra fighting man, especially on 32 and 64-man servers.

I don't get pissed off at fighting commanders (unless they're in a jet/helo), but I always prefer a stay-at-home commander.
Charmin
+1|6709
wow seems to be well filled job that commander stuff, last night i noticed one commander at peninsula who dropped a supply box right next to his HQ so that when i blew it up it would be there again a few seconds later. Ofcourse i was fine with blowing it up again and again and again but it got boring so the supply box went up in smoke too, just to see another one coming down LOL

it was my lucky day
Ryan
+1,230|6859|Alberta, Canada

Yeah, easiest thing, just put UAV everywhere, all the time. scan when ur uav is down, and dont place atry where a bunch of teammates are lol. if theres a group of bad guys, say like 10, you might think, awesome 10 points for me if i drop arty on them, but if you have a bunch of teammates around there, let them take care of the threat.

drop arty at bases that the enemy is trying to take over as well. when the arty hits, a bunch of people could spawn and then get hit by your arty.

remeber, just right click on the squad screen, and thats where you can tell people to repair things, put mines down, and other useful things. you can also tell the squads to attack or defend a certain area, by right clicking on it, and press attack or defend.

also, if you right click the squad on the left, you can commend them, rebuke them, let the squad leader know of any uav, arty, or supplies are available and so on.

i bet i have repeated what most people have said, but i didnt take the time to read every post. hope this helps!
k61824
+0|6700
I don't think you get points for

killing ppl with arty (it's counted as kills but no actual point, good for earning every combat badge except knife, pistol, transport and explosives)
or doing repairs (doing repairs yourself is only good so you can send supply to front instead of using them to repair your base when you know the attacking spec op is just refilling his C4 there)

so I think in the best the commander's interest, according to UBAR and BF2Wiki, is to let the other people have an easier time earning their points (winning is important now that your score is 2x when you win) since your commander score is incremented through the rest of them team per teammate alive, so clear the target CP before your teammates run into them, stop/spot those 1-man squad from the sneak attack and, if your teammates read the radar when fighting, spot all those people around them.  Also keep the APC and armors alive [slightly longer] by the use of supplies (jets and helis... they know the drill; transports... they don't live long anyways) and you'll notices your tank is racking up points for YOU.

I don't think single player is a good place to practice... afterall, I don't expect every team follows orders (there are more stupid things the AI does on a regular basis, on the other hand)
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6805|Singapore

May I direct all you lost sheep to BF2S Wiki.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6733|Riva, MD
Play single player as commander.
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6822|Portland, OR, USA

AirForce2076 wrote:

just practice in singleplayer
Exactly.

k61824 wrote:

I don't think you get points for killing ppl with arty (it's counted as kills but no actual point, good for earning every combat badge except knife, pistol, transport and explosives)
No, it's the other way around. You get teamwork points, but no kills for arty.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard