aardfrith
Δ > x > ¥
+145|6813
Why is it that people like the death sentence, want to be able to use lethal force to defend themselves or whatever but get ants in their pants when someone who's about to die is abused a little?

In places around the world, the death sentence is a legal form of punishment whereby someone that has been tried and convicted of a major crime (multiple murders, genocide, etc.) has their life terminated.  In parts of America there is wrangling going on about whether lethal injection is acceptable because the convict may suffer a bit.  In Iraq, there's consternation because Saddam Hussein was heckled whilst on the gallows.

So what?  At the end of the day, the person is a convicted criminal and is being put to death.  It's not supposed to be a pleasure cruise, it's a punishment.  The ultimate punishment.
cheshiremoe
Evil Geniuses for a sparsely populated tomorrow
+50|6730
I agree.  There is no way to get ride of all the suffering involved because some of it is mental pain.  I don't think that we should use torture methods, but that does not mean you have to go to the other extreme of babying them.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6768|The United Center
I'm against all of the above.

...your point?
d4rkst4r
biggie smalls
+72|6474|Ontario, Canada
no, death penalty is wrong. no one should be able to "do gods job".
"you know life is what we make it, and a chance is like a picture, it'd be nice if you just take it"
EVieira
+105|6499|Lutenblaag, Molvania
Because JUSTICE is not about causing pain or suffering to those who break the laws. If the punishment is death, its supposed to kill, not to torture or humiliate. It doesn't matter if the offender will die in the end.

Justice is not about revenge or things of the like.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
=KOKS=BETREZHEN
+1|6523|houston, TX

aardfrith wrote:

Why is it that people like the death sentence, want to be able to use lethal force to defend themselves or whatever but get ants in their pants when someone who's about to die is abused a little?

In places around the world, the death sentence is a legal form of punishment whereby someone that has been tried and convicted of a major crime (multiple murders, genocide, etc.) has their life terminated.  In parts of America there is wrangling going on about whether lethal injection is acceptable because the convict may suffer a bit.  In Iraq, there's consternation because Saddam Hussein was heckled whilst on the gallows.

So what?  At the end of the day, the person is a convicted criminal and is being put to death.  It's not supposed to be a pleasure cruise, it's a punishment.  The ultimate punishment.
In my opinion while the person is alive he should be treated as humanly as possible.
If death is the ultimate punishment then no other punishment should be inflicted no matter how irrelevant to the ends.

If you are about to die, would you want someone to be insulting and degrading you?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6737

aardfrith wrote:

Saves a lot on your tax dollars.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
=KOKS=BETREZHEN
+1|6523|houston, TX
actually in allot of cases it is more expensive to kill a convict than have him or her in prison all his or her life
because of the many very expensive appeal hearing that happen before the actual execution
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6737

=KOKS=BETREZHEN wrote:

actually in allot of cases it is more expensive to kill a convict than have him or her in prison all his or her life
because of the many very expensive appeal hearing that happen before the actual execution
Don't they spend their own money not the tax payers?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
CameronPoe
+2,925|6576
I'm completely against the death penalty in modern civilised society, just like most Europeans. Barbaric and needless. This is NOT the middle ages. I find it deplorable whether it be a banana republic or an advanced nation carrying out such punishment. Besides, life imprisonment is far more of a punishment than the quick release execution brings.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-01-03 10:21:02)

Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6563|Texas - Bigger than France

CameronPoe wrote:

I'm completely against the death penalty in modern civilised society, just like most Europeans. Barbaric and needless. This is NOT the middle ages. I find it deplorable whether it be a banana republic or an advanced nation carrying out such punishment. Besides, life imprisonment is far more of a punishment than the quick release execution brings.
"Barbaric & needless"

"Life imprisonment is far more punishment"

Which is more barbaric?
=KOKS=BETREZHEN
+1|6523|houston, TX

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

=KOKS=BETREZHEN wrote:

Don't they spend their own money not the tax payers?
who is they?
the convicts?
the convicts are imprisoned with tax money
CameronPoe
+2,925|6576

Pug wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

"Barbaric & needless"

"Life imprisonment is far more punishment"

Which is more barbaric?
Well with life imprisonment they feel no actual pain. Their existence is simply nullified. A siutable punishment. And if it transpired that a miscarriage of justice took place the decision can be reversed, unlike execution. I shudder to think of the Birmingham Six or Guildford Four when execution is mentioned.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2007-01-03 10:40:24)

Pug
Ahh, but what if they weren't wrongly convicted?
CameronPoe
+2,925|6576

Pug wrote:

Ahh, but what if they weren't wrongly convicted?
No great shame/loss/disgrace in incarcerating them indefinitely rather than killing them.
Pug
I think its barbaric either way, however, if the victims family's livelihood is ended with the life of the major wage earner, I find it interesting that the gov't subsides a meager living to the guilty and not the family.

Especially since the gov't will take on the medical bills of the murderer when they get old...but not those of the family.  But so much for equality.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6622|132 and Bush

I will say it seems we had more complaints from the liberal media with Saddams execution and the way it was carried out compared to when terrorist were sawing civilians heads off.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Pug
The problem isn't really with the sentence - its mostly in that the public sees it as vengence.  Unfortunately its just about impossible to separate the two.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6622|132 and Bush

Pug wrote:

The problem isn't really with the sentence - its mostly in that the public sees it as vengence.  Unfortunately its just about impossible to separate the two.
Closure is under rated.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
IRONCHEF
+385|6512|Northern California

CameronPoe wrote:

Precisely.  Well put CP.

Further, being one who lives (well, I try my best) christian principles, I can't fathom how my fellow christian brethren can accept capital punishment when it directly contradicts the principles they profess to live.  But then, I argue and cuss on message boards and swear at motorists daily..which is contradictory to christian beliefs.  But at least I know it's wrong.  Christian warmongers are the ones prophesied of in the bible saying that they love death more than life, and they draw "nigh unto me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me."

The death penalty is the mark of an uncivilized people, regardless of the manner in which they do it.  Tax spending on death row inmates, overpopulated prisons, and other side effects of our justice system are not reasons to justify this archaic expression of justice.  The day no governing body executes it's criminals is the day the people of this earth take a huge leap forward.  But that won't happen so here we sit..in our bloody barbaric world.
gbr.hitman
Fair Play!
+21|6622|Warwickshire, England
In my opinion, I think the death sentence should be implemented but only in certain cases. Such as they have to be 100% guilty i.e. caught on camera etc

I do understand other people's POV's and do respect them (to an extent), but atm I think the positives of the death sentence out way the negatives, but I don't know all the facts and information so I could be persuaded.

Also, IMO I think it is more humane to end someones' life rather than to keep them in jail with hardly, if any, outside contact.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6622|132 and Bush

When someone kidnaps, rapes, murders, puts a little girl in a black trash bag, buries the child in the ground face down with no clothes on, and confesses.. I think they should die. I know, I'm a silly bitch.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6466|The Land of Scott Walker
Huh, so Christian principles should be applied to the death penalty, but not to the rest of society because of the separation of church and state?  I can live with the death penalty being outlawed as long as the murder of babies in their mother's womb is made illegal, too.
apollo_fi
The Flying Kalakukko.
+94|6552|The lunar module

Stingray24 wrote:

Huh, so Christian principles should be applied to the death penalty, but not to the rest of society because of the separation of church and state?  I can live with the death penalty being outlawed as long as the murder of babies in their mother's womb is made illegal, too.
Remember kids, you are killers if you don't ejaculate into an ovulating woman.

*fapfapfap* is the sound of murder.
chittydog
less busy
+586|6856|Kubra, Damn it!

=KOKS=BETREZHEN wrote:

aardfrith wrote:

In my opinion while the person is alive he should be treated as humanly as possible.
If death is the ultimate punishment then no other punishment should be inflicted no matter how irrelevant to the ends.

If you are about to die, would you want someone to be insulting and degrading you?
Of course not, but I haven't murdered/tortured/raped anyone. People who get the death penalty got it because they've done something very, very wrong. If someone beats a girl to death, is it so bad if he's insulted, or has to feel a little prick of a needle momentarily? Maybe you think he should be sitting in the Hilton drinking tea instead? The death penalty lets them off easily. You only get it for doing something unforgivably heinous. These people are monsters. Feel free to insult them.

Last edited by chittydog (2007-01-03 12:06:07)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard