DumDiDiDum
+0|6686
I think the sniper is unfairly penalised in the game. I have been been playing sniper for some time now and found some seriously descrepancies.

My main grief is that it takes two shots to kill any player, except if a head shot is applicable. This means from any distance. However, and here is the problem, if my enemy has spotted me, he fires with his standard gun, or upgrade, and kills me very easily. I never could understand this untill I played with the other kits. When pointing the gun at any enemy it changes crosshairs whenever the sight is over the target. This allowed me to kill even guys at long distances, even enemy snipers, easily... no problems..... Naturally the sniper rifle does not have this.

I thought that the sniper rifle and sniper should be more accurate and thus more deadly, but this is not so! Either remove the crosshair changes on the other guns or allow single shot kill for the sniper! (not only head shots) There must be a difference! If the bullet can penetrate armoured glass it should also be able to penetrate personal armour! In real life I would mainly use armour piercing bullets if that is what it takes. C'mon!

The problem of team punishment by claymore mines is rediculous. These are the only means by which a sniper can protect himself. If you buddies are to stupid to watch where they are going it is their problem and they should be punished for that. They can clearly see the mines and thus stay away. The sniper has enough problems defending himself in close combat!

In a few post down I agree with the guy regarding kills in turrets. I have shot many enemies that just dont want to die...die....die....die.... please DICE ....fix this. This is an error in software, not in that the enemy is already dead.

I hope that the new sniper rifle unloack in the next patch is a great improvement.

BTW. If you play commander, the kit that you are in gets the time. This is stupid because I have played commander as a sniper and now my time in that kit got a mayor boost. The commander time should not contribute to a certain kit but should be kept seperately!

(Just my little rant)
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6739|The United Center
i agree with you on some fronts and disagree with you on others...but first off, i just want to say thank you for posting your rant in a mature manner.  you didnt swear or get all annoyed...and you gave reasons to back up your opinions...so...good work.  seriously.

about the claymore TK punishments...i couldnt agree more.  the same goes for AT mines as well.  these items are placed and if a teammate gets killed by them, its more his fault than it is yours.  the only thing about this i dont like is one time in karkand i had a teammate putting claymores on the hummers at our main spawn as USMC, intentionally TKing me and my team.  however, this was only one time and he was kicked and banned after the third TK.

i've seen people talk about the sniper rifles not being accurate or not being powerful enough before and i have to disagree.  the m24 is insanely accurate.  it will hit anything in its crosshairs, even from a distance.  i love that the sniper rifles take skill to use and that there are no one-shot kills other than headshots.  everytime i'm sniped i know it was because i was killed with skill or with one lucky shot.  if the m95 were turned into a one-shot kill then BF2 would just be a better looking version of counter-strike.

you brought up the new sniper unlock and i saw that too...i'm really curious to see what the weapon is going to be.  personally i think it'll be a huge mistake if they make it a one-shot kill weapon if it hits you anywhere other than the head.  then again, i cannot imagine a rifle being more accurate than the m24.  i also think that an auto-sniper rifle that can fire through glass would be a mistake and overpowered...i have a feeling i'm going to be disappointed by whatever the weapon is, unless its something i've overlooked.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6767|Noizyland

A new Sniper rifle unlock? I havn't heared about it.

Sadly, you obviously suck as a Sniper. I say this because only someone who sucked as a Sniper would suggest such thing as Sniper rifles being one shot kill. No. Very no.

Okay, first things first.
You are a Sniper. You remain unseen at all times. If you are shot at repeatedly you are a bad Sniper.

Secondly, you blame Dice for making some error when it comes to shooting Humvee/Vodnik gunners or whatever.
No.
You are just missing.
There is such thing as bullet drop. At a long distance, which can be determined by skillful estimations and the mini-map , using the center point on your crosshair will make you miss our target. It is not the programmers fault, it is your fault. Learn to shoot.

Thirdly, yes getting punished for idiots walking in front of or climbing up to claymores is annoying. People punish for this, it is unfair but true. We all have to get over it. If the punish option was taken away, arseholes would be dropping claymores when a team mate is in front of them and getting a no punish kill.

Fourthly, or something.  The armour on a Humvee's roof is designed to take anything but armour piercing bullets. You want to shoot through metal? Shoot someone who's on the other side of a corrugated iron fence. That worked for me. The M95 may have .50 Cal bullets, but they are not armour piercing. They can go through armoured glass, which is considerably weaker than armoured metals.

Forget the numbers, next point. They are going to be thinning out the M95's crosshairs a bit in the new patch.

For the sake of sanity, Sniper rifles shoud never ever be made into one shot kill weapons. Imagine the chaos as you round a corner only to be shot be some random who only had to click to secure a kill. Forget aiming, you shoot a guy in the foot and he'd be dead. Snipers would dominate every map, but they wouldn't be Snipers, they'd be infantry with one shot kill weapons. It'd be like n00b-tube problem times 1000. More than that even.

My tip: Get skill. Being a good Sniper is the hardest skill in the game. Work at it, it's not simple. If you find that being a Sniper is not your gig, find something else. From the looks of your calls for one shot kill weapons, I suggest going as Assult with a grenade launcher.

(Just my little rant)

Edit: I hope the new Sniper unlock will be a bolt action rifle. I don't like the Semi-Autos, they lack the skill of placing one shot right where it's supposed to be. Any dumbass can rattle off multiple shots in someone's torso, a Sniper uses one bullet only, or two if he messes up, (Don't look at me, I know my Sniper Rifle accuracy is only 41.6% or something.)

Last edited by Tyferra (2005-12-30 02:19:50)

[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
DumDiDiDum
+0|6686
My complaint was not realy the sniper rifle per se or the fact that it takes two shots to kill an enemy. I do my share of killings with or without a single shot and I am not that bad a shot. I have my places and I do not reveal it unnecessary. Pot shots are OUT!!!

It is the point that I am killed by some other kit with a standard weapon much easier. I did it myself with the other kits. There should be a difference between the capability of the weapons. If it s a long distance rifle it should behave as such, The same goes to the other weapons, They are much shorter distance weapons. My real opinion is that the change in crosshair on the other weapons should be removed, not really the sniper rifle. Make if fair! The sniper is expected to operate in real life but the other kits have added game tools.

The problems with shots into humvee positions/terrets in covered in
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=8892

Thge new sniper onlock is covered in an interview with someone from DICE. I forgot the link but it is covered somewhere here. Serach for it.

I am not looking for an easy game. I just want it to be fair, fair to play the kit that you want.....

To the guys that become rude.... what makes you such experts? Unless you have excessive experience, points or whatever, you have no case and are frowned apon. I do not give you any recognision or value your opinion....... WTF

(Edit)
BTW I am starting to like the spec op kit especially for the unloack gun and the change in crosshair feature. I am startiong to like killing snipers.... hahahahaha......

Last edited by DumDiDiDum (2005-12-30 02:51:07)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708
the sniper rifle is too under powered imho, the M24 needs or at least m95 should have 1 shot 1 kill capabilities
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6767|Noizyland

I never meant to be rude. How you took it is no fault of mine.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
ferryman5330
+0|6730|london
just a note the semi auto sniper rifles at least soviet an other european armies french  for instance use semi auto rifles not in the true westerern sence of the word sniper but, rather as a platoon addition to increase the range of the platoon from say 300mt increasing the platoons range out to 600 metres, each platoon would have 2 or more sharp shooters where as say british an american armies have sniper sections or platoons attached to recce.
ex 2bn royal green jackets. light division
Tarasque
+0|6710|Norway
*Ajust / improve the hitboxes on inf.

*Give me a heart, lounge, neck head surekill.

*Abdomain, upper legs +80% hp (armored)

*Unarmoured is a surekill over the waist cept arms and calfs.

But then again, players are doing wery well with rifles as it is so it's kinda redundant.
*ToRRo*cT|
Spanish Sniper-Wh0re
+199|6736|Malaga, EspaƱa
tarasque...keep it simple

Head - 1 shot no matter wich sniperrifle
Uppertorso - M95 1 hit kill only
rest keep the Semi Rifle 3 shots, and the m24 2 shots
coz indeed when an M95 has the power to penetrate armored windows...it will really blast ur head clear off the body if we are talking about masive power...i thin Dice excuse to do this is to prevent people bitching about sniper whores
deject
Got His War On
+37|6766|Golden, CO

DumDiDiDum wrote:

It is the point that I am killed by some other kit with a standard weapon much easier. I did it myself with the other kits. There should be a difference between the capability of the weapons. If it s a long distance rifle it should behave as such, The same goes to the other weapons, They are much shorter distance weapons. My real opinion is that the change in crosshair on the other weapons should be removed, not really the sniper rifle. Make if fair! The sniper is expected to operate in real life but the other kits have added game tools.
you get killed by regular guns because you are too close and you're within their effective range.  you can shoot from much farther away than they can.  Hell, even I can be a decent sniper from 75 yards, but I could hit my target with pretty much any rifle at that range.  What you (and I) should do is learn to snipe from a much longer distance, like around 200 yards minimum.  This will help you in a lot of ways:

1) They are much less likely to see you and determine where you're shooting from.
2) If they do happen to see you, they won't be able to hit you very easily from that far.
3) If they try to advance and flank you, you'll have more time to move somewhere else.

I personally don't have the patience to sit around and wait for targets to show up though, so I am a terrible sniper.
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6781|Singapore

Dont be a 'tard. Do you seriously want to see bunny hopping AWP users in BF2?
Rizen_Ji
+41|6728|200m out and smiling at you.
wow......

i think i have just lost all faith in the intelligence of certain people...
[-CGZ-]BioRaveN
Don't make me toothpick you.
+31|6697|The beautiful hills of Sharqi
LEARN TO READ, go to totalbf2 home page, there is an interview with the man who finalizes all descisions on the patches, in 1.2 2 new weapons will be introduced, a sniper and anti tank weapon.....btw, if you cannot get a headshot the first time, sniping isnt the best thing for you, I personally aim for the head, I wait until I can see their head until I shoot, I dont snap-shoot, unless I want the purple heart.
freebirdpat
Base Rapist
+5|6745
The other thing is as a sniper you want to be at a spot where the enemy won't suspect. And by that I don't mean on the top of a crane or rooftop. Be creative, I have found lots of places that are quite fun to be at, and can net a nice amount of kills and some that don't net as many yet both allow you to remain undetected for a long amount of time.
[-CGZ-]BioRaveN
Don't make me toothpick you.
+31|6697|The beautiful hills of Sharqi
Exactly, I forgot to mention that too, NEVER get on the top of a hill, they can see your outline on the top, stay away from landmarks, try and stay by a bush....If there is a building you can be on the top of, stay in the middle of it to avoid detection....The highest place may give you the best view, but you are the most suspected up there...try and get on a good place, like on top of the mosque via blackhawk on mashtuur, or other places. If you are deep behind enemy lines, USE YOUR CLAYMORES. that was if you have to go up 2 ladders to get to where you are, you can have the enemy killed 2 times, but get away after he dies the first without him knowing.
FrEaK
+1|6775|Finland
I would like to see a rifle without the scope in it. I know it just may seem little dumb, but it would balance the close/medium distance combat a bit. Though 2-3 shots with it would be good.
I know if u read this post u may say right away that nowadays they dont use rifles, especially non-scoped ones.
But if u have played Call Of Duty, for example, u know what I mean
Capt_Flapjack
+12|6747|Kansas City, MO, USA
I haven't sniped too much, but I've read a whole lot of posts just like this one and I've formed my opinions thusly.  I think the the M95 is underpowered in the game.  In reality a .50 cal bullet will rip your head right off your shoulders, and will punch a good-sized hole anywhere on your body.  In reality, if you get popped with one of those you're dead.  If DICE doesn't want a one-shot kill rifle in the game they should remove the M95 completely, and replace it with a lower caliber or lower powered weapon.  Battlefield 2 doesn't do the M95 justice in the least.
ShowMeTheMonkey
+125|6694
Has anyone played Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising? It was fun for awhile, but just got annoying in the end.
ONE big problem with it.
Snipers.
Nearly every single sniper rifle you could use was a one shot - one kill weapon.
They could also be used a mile away with PERFECT accuracy! So when you had just spawn you were blown away by some dude on a hillside, and you couldn't find him because of the drw distance.
End of a round you got people with:
Kills - 67 Deaths - 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
0mikr0n
Airborne Clan
+19|6688
The new sniper unlock is going to be a Barrett M82A1 .50BM sniper rifle, predecessor to the Barrett M95. If you don't believe me, go open up the BF2 Editor and go to the weapon object list and go through the sniper rifles. It's fully animated and should work ingame.
iamamuts
+2|6748|Lisse, Netherlands

ThomasMorgan wrote:

i agree with you on some fronts and disagree with you on others...but first off, i just want to say thank you for posting your rant in a mature manner.  you didnt swear or get all annoyed...and you gave reasons to back up your opinions...so...good work.  seriously.

about the claymore TK punishments...i couldnt agree more.  the same goes for AT mines as well.  these items are placed and if a teammate gets killed by them, its more his fault than it is yours.  the only thing about this i dont like is one time in karkand i had a teammate putting claymores on the hummers at our main spawn as USMC, intentionally TKing me and my team.  however, this was only one time and he was kicked and banned after the third TK.

i've seen people talk about the sniper rifles not being accurate or not being powerful enough before and i have to disagree.  the m24 is insanely accurate.  it will hit anything in its crosshairs, even from a distance.  i love that the sniper rifles take skill to use and that there are no one-shot kills other than headshots.  everytime i'm sniped i know it was because i was killed with skill or with one lucky shot.  if the m95 were turned into a one-shot kill then BF2 would just be a better looking version of counter-strike.

you brought up the new sniper unlock and i saw that too...i'm really curious to see what the weapon is going to be.  personally i think it'll be a huge mistake if they make it a one-shot kill weapon if it hits you anywhere other than the head.  then again, i cannot imagine a rifle being more accurate than the m24.  i also think that an auto-sniper rifle that can fire through glass would be a mistake and overpowered...i have a feeling i'm going to be disappointed by whatever the weapon is, unless its something i've overlooked.
Hi
xX[Elangbam]Xx
+107|6690
yes i do hate it when enemies with machine guns shoot me down and it takes my 5 hits without any success but have you checked your hiding places though? Usually i sniper from far away where a couple building or mountains obscure my and my enemies view and watch them jump in confusion
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

polarbearz wrote:

Dont be a 'tard. Do you seriously want to see bunny hopping AWP users in BF2?
i think thats the reason dice underpowered the m95...

imho, the SVD is for closer range sniping than the bolt-action ones
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Sniper Complaint: Bullets sometimes ping off the edge of the building I'm camping from even though the gun appears to be poking over said edge.

That being said, I got 79 kills (streak) and 1 death as a Blackhawk gunner a few hours ago. I'm suprised nobody complains about the 'noobishness' of Blackhawks more than noobtoobing and other one-shot kills.

Sniper Unlock: What could possibly be added?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-01-01 02:06:19)

Sud
+0|6740
I can't seriously entertain a rant on sniper unless it takes into account the auto-snipers.

I get MUCH more effectiveness out of the autosnipers than I do the unlock or the american rifle. It's almost like playing a different class.

The issue is to do well with the 95 damage guns, you need to pick your targets. You need to confirm damage on the enemy, or be sure of a headshot. They are some of the better rifles for range though.

The autosnipers provide less ranged ability and stopping power, but great reliability. This is the gun that you can use to get faster, if less tactical kills, by getting somewhere semi-close to the enemy and then taking potshots at them. The autosnipers on a bullet for bullet basis have a much more accurate feel to them, and you're basically using a scoped PKM with very nasty accuracy.

No, you need to do some autosniping before you can rant about the class as a whole.

The problem of team punishment by claymore mines is rediculous. These are the only means by which a sniper can protect himself. If you buddies are to stupid to watch where they are going it is their problem and they should be punished for that. They can clearly see the mines and thus stay away. The sniper has enough problems defending himself in close combat!
No, claymores are there as a bonus and to give you a little extra tactical ability to choose your spots. Your main forms of protecting yourself is choosing an appropriately covered location and making sure your flanks aren't weak. Claymores can give you some extra options, but you assume the risks when you place one down. Snipers are a loner class. They aren't supposed to be around teammates. They fight from afar. Where you snipe from is equally if not more important as how well you actually snipe.

Last edited by Sud (2006-01-01 02:15:57)

freebirdpat
Base Rapist
+5|6745

Sud wrote:

I can't seriously entertain a rant on sniper unless it takes into account the auto-snipers.

I get MUCH more effectiveness out of the autosnipers than I do the unlock or the american rifle. It's almost like playing a different class.

The issue is to do well with the 95 damage guns, you need to pick your targets. You need to confirm damage on the enemy, or be sure of a headshot. They are some of the better rifles for range though.

The autosnipers provide less ranged ability and stopping power, but great reliability. This is the gun that you can use to get faster, if less tactical kills, by getting somewhere semi-close to the enemy and then taking potshots at them. The autosnipers on a bullet for bullet basis have a much more accurate feel to them, and you're basically using a scoped PKM with very nasty accuracy.

No, you need to do some autosniping before you can rant about the class as a whole.
I am going to disagree with the accuracy. The Chinese at distance is pretty much on spot. Just aim a hair higher, the same for the MEC sniper but the crosshair is too funny looking to find the sweet spot. I like how they put in these special crosshairs although they probably are useful towards real snipers that have to plot wind distance and crap but for us it means crap.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard