Sud
+0|6738
I don't know how many of you guys notice this, but what's up with these tank/APC whores who just sit around, doing nothing for the team?  The pick a nice cozy spot and just start killing enemies.  Sure, that's all fine and good when your team has all the flags, but what about getting a flag?
No. The purpose of heavily armored units is not light recon and scouting. It's meant to be the backbone of the battle and as such needs to be on the front lines. The vehicles which are for capturing flags are called transports - fast vehicles suitable to getting in enemy territory and providing enough threat with a decent driver and gunner to hold back light resistance, which would be the typical 1 or 2 flag defenders not on the front. A tank is a heavily armored behemoth there to do just as you say - frag people, as well as its top priority being to stop enemy vehicles. An APC offers some more options when it comes to troop transport, but its main function is also to fight, its advantage being in its higher top speed than a tank (though lower acceleration) can allow it to get from point A to B quicker. The APC also performs very well against infantry.

Since you're using Karkand as an example, all the flags should be captured by at least 2 people in a TRANSPORT - for US, this would mean blitzing by the initial MEC hotel force to take square, or if square is too unsafe, take suburbs (and possibly infiltrate further). When you go taking flags with tanks, not only do you take the tank out of its most effective environment (fragging and earning tickets for your TEAM), you're putting it out on its own with no infantry support, vulnerable to people spawning on it with C4 while it tries to capture the flag, or enemy MEC vehicles detouring to the tank that's trying to capture the flag for a first shot advantage (you can be guaranteed if the MEC commander isn't a complete moron he'll be spotting the lone tank trying to capture one of their flags).

Armor works hand in hand alongside infantry to push back the enemy and capture flags by brute force, not stealth and evasiveness, which is what transport is for. Flags are nice for counters, but the games tend to rely more on who's getting more kills, and a tank who is killing en masse for your team is making a significant contribution for your team.
Pineapple_Pez
+2|6735

FoodNipple101 wrote:

Css = Gay....people In Armor = Gay

Go Play Css
And he's a stat padder.  He made a post earlier asking "if he was good at BF2" by looking at his stats.  Seriously, he has victims with over 200 kills and they all have "Nipple" related names.  He's a joke.

But back to this thread...Vehicle whores should get some balls and try and take a base rather than camp all day.  People who sit back and shoot anyone who approaches do suck...thats one thing we agree on.
Fahrenheit
+0|6770
maybe i missed some posts here, but i dont read any pertaining to base camping in vehicles...i think it would be fair to say that some people do it and that most would agree with that...in my opinion most of the posts here regard using the tank/apc as a teamplay objective i.e. working hand in hand with footies to capture flags..."you go in and ill cover you"...i get your point to some degree! but there are those who think defending a flag in a tank etc is camping...i aint gonna pound ground to get to the far reaches of kubra dam if a vehicle is handy and if im in a tank apc or aa vehicle i hate getting out to cap a flag because once too often the enemy has acquired the vehicle and inflicted lots of damage on our team...(except when im spec opps and booby trap the tank lol) ...but i do not agree with those who sit outside an uncap base and just spawn camp, it happens but what the hell its just another aspect of the game we all gotta contend with...as for what is considered whoring...in my mind the only way ur a whore is if u kill (tk) for a vehicle... anything else is just using a vehicle for a tactical advantage...face it the tank is gonna be the main target while the footies cap the flag....
SE7EN
+0|6708|Virginia
Esker and SUD hit it right on the head.  The tank was initially designed as a mobile pillbox/bunker to smash through static enemy defenses allowing the follow-on infantry to capture and secure ground.  Later, as other nations fielded their own version of the tank, it's primary function shifted to that of an anti-tank role.  Kill enemy tanks first then smash through the static defenses. 

It has wheels/tracks for a reason....mobility.  Strike deep, disrupt the enemy and allow the infantry to seize and hold terrain.  There are always situational exceptions but mobility, armor, and firepower are best used in open terrain on the attack- and terrain is the key.  In wide open terrain tanks are the king of battle.  Once you deploy into wooded or urban terrain the roles are reversed.  These types of areas favor infantry in that they afford cover, concealment, and even more importantly, angles.  Even with a top gunner a tank is hard pressed to monitor all of the potential angles from which a bad guy might shove C4 or a missile up his exhaust pipe. 

From my personal experience you create quite the dilemma for the enemy when a tank is supporting infantry by covering the best avenues of approach while they cap a flag.  They're immediate priority is defense of the flag but they're often faced with 120mm shells, .50 cal and 7.62 rounds raking them as they attempt to dislodge the infantry.  If they focus their firepower on the tank, the flag gets capped.  Focusing on the flag usually results in lots of casualities.  Focusing on both, well, that's just silly.  Positioning a tank near a flag long enough to cap it in a contested area allows them to mass their firepower on the tank AND the defense of the flag.

What I don't understand, and would like to see more often, is the massing of vehicle firepower in the attack.  I've found that a great many players travel either solo or in very small packs that come together out of chance.  Has anyone truly stood their ground when several armored vehicles and transports arrive at a flag or objective at the same time?  And, if so, how long did you survive?

Last edited by SE7EN (2006-01-01 10:08:01)

B.Horning2
+0|6684|USA
This is not CS, Not a frag fest, actually takes some thought to be succesfull
paranoid101
Ambitious but Rubbish
+540|6731
The only time i try and cap a flag in Armour, is if the UAV is running.

Other wise i will stand off and cover the Infantry as they try to cap it or take on other Armour.

Its almost Suicide to try and cap a flag in Armour without the UAV running, with all the C4 users, mine layers and Anti-tank shooters about.

But don't get me Wrong, there is nothing worse than just trying to rack up points in Armour, rather than covering Infantry or taking out other Armour.

And if your Sat in a Enemy Uncap Base, when other flags are there for the taking or defending, than I am afraid you are a Points whoring loser, who is not using Armour right or for the benefit of your team.

Also Please if you are going to use Armour go Engineer, you can then repair yourself and other Surrporting Armour.

Just one last note please don't use Armour as a taxi to the Plane or Helicopters, its need else where on the battlefield.

https://sig.nsvr.info/000000/FFC525/FFFFFF/4/45958845.gif
-=Meshekal=-
+2|6733|United Kingdom

Teckademics wrote:

im talking about capping the flag you have to sit close to it meaning YOU HAVE TO SIT THERE i mean 10 feet of space isnt a lot.
If you see that Spec-Ops dude running at you with C4 in his arms, GET OUT. I'm sick of seeing people who will sit there, letting themselves get blown up, because they don't want to lose the vehicle they are whoring.

Another tip. It's really REALLY easy to spot Spec-Ops coming for you when capping a flag. Push F10. You now have a 3rd person view of your vehicle and surrounding area. But, only do this if you are willing to GET OUT YOU FILTHY WHORE.

It really amazes me when tanks and APC's get blown up by Spec-Ops when there is a UAV over head...I mean, shit guys, look at the sodding radar! That red dot running at you? That's either B. Johnson with a knife, or a dude whose going to turn you into a fireworks display.

And if you can't spot the Mines, your not being careful enough.

And before you moan,; yeah, I use Armour occasionaly, not my preferred choice anymore, but still use it. And yes, I do follow what I said above, and yes, it does work. Plus it helps if you yourself are Spec-Ops when in a vehicle. So if you do need to get out quick, and that other dude gets in thinking he's clever having worried you out of a vehicle, your can flip that little red switch and send his smirking face to hell. I've done that alot.

Last edited by -=Meshekal=- (2006-01-01 11:19:41)

SE7EN
+0|6708|Virginia
Whoah.  The was just spooky.
psychotoxic187
+11|6700

-=Meshekal=- wrote:

Teckademics wrote:

im talking about capping the flag you have to sit close to it meaning YOU HAVE TO SIT THERE i mean 10 feet of space isnt a lot.
If you see that Spec-Ops dude running at you with C4 in his arms, GET OUT. I'm sick of seeing people who will sit there, letting themselves get blown up, because they don't want to lose the vehicle they are whoring.

Another tip. It's really REALLY easy to spot Spec-Ops coming for you when capping a flag. Push F10. You now have a 3rd person view of your vehicle and surrounding area. But, only do this if you are willing to GET OUT YOU FILTHY WHORE.

It really amazes me when tanks and APC's get blown up by Spec-Ops when there is a UAV over head...I mean, shit guys, look at the sodding radar! That red dot running at you? That's either B. Johnson with a knife, or a dude whose going to turn you into a fireworks display.

And before you moan,; yeah, I use Armour occasionaly, not my preferred choice anymore, but still use it. And yes, I do follow what I said above, and yes, it does work. Plus it helps if you yourself are Spec-Ops when in a vehicle. So if you do need to get out quick, and that other dude gets in thinking he's clever having worried you out of a vehicle, your can flip that little red switch and send his smirking face to hell. I've done that alot.
I do the exact same thing ALL the time, I will switch between f10, and f11 views and constantly monitor the area around me.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6765|Noizyland

I'm not going to read all of this, but in response to the initial statement.

If I am in a tank or APC and I have secured the area around a flag, I don't want to go in a capture it. Why? Because my sight is worse than an infantry man if I am in the middle of a point. On the outside, I can see all of it, and destroy any potential threat for my teammates. Tanks and APCs were never meant to capture flags, infantry are. If I'm in the middle of a point, capturing it, it is SO EASY for someone to plant C4 on me, or shoot me with AT rockets without them being seen. From the outside though, I can see them before they can get to me, so I shoot them, and anyone else, thus leaving the way clear for someone on foot to capture the point.

Fair enough?
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
freebirdpat
Base Rapist
+5|6744

-=Meshekal=- wrote:

Teckademics wrote:

If you see a guy running at you with C4, DO NOT GET OUT. That is the worst thing you can do. I don't even want to get into how many vehicles I have stolen that way, and on a map like Karkand losing a vehicle for the entire game is definitely something you do not want. And the worst thing to be in a vehicle is a spec ops, always be an engineer. It allows you to heal yourself and other armor. You want to stay in combat as long as possible keeping armor out of combat for a minute or more is not going to help you win.
Kamikaze17
Over the line!
+70|6740|Mark it zero.

Mj.Blindfisch wrote:

No,no,no!!!!

If you have a vehicle,drive around the flag and provide coverfire till your buddies cap the flag!
yes thats how you should do it.
Ub3r-ElitE
Teargas wh0re
+2|6711

Bingo wrote:

I don't know how many of you guys notice this, but what's up with these tank/APC whores who just sit around, doing nothing for the team?  The pick a nice cozy spot and just start killing enemies.  Sure, that's all fine and good when your team has all the flags, but what about getting a flag?

I most typically see this at Karkand where people just try to frag with their armor instead of going for a flag.  We all know it's sure as hell a lot easier to capture a flag with a vehicle than on foot.  So why don't these morons just run over the infantry, get some kills along the way, and get a damn flag?  There's an extra 4 points in it for them.

I've noticed this for a while, as I'm always the seemingly lone guy who takes an APC down the road at Karkand to the rear MEC bases.  But I guess since this game is full of ex-Counter-Strike players, all they want to do is shoot 'em up bang bang.
Uh great idea. Capping a crowded flag with a tank you got a 95% chance of getting

-C4ed
-Eryx/SRAWed
-n00b-tubed
-granaded
-TOWed
-APCed
-Tanked

or having a madass knife guy stabbing you in your tires.
topal63
. . .
+533|6709

Ub3r-ElitE wrote:

Bingo wrote:

I most typically see this at Karkand where people just try to frag with their armor instead of going for a flag.  We all know it's sure as hell a lot easier to capture a flag with a vehicle than on foot.  So why don't these morons just run over the infantry, get some kills along the way, and get a damn flag?  There's an extra 4 points in it for them.

I've noticed this for a while, as I'm always the seemingly lone guy who takes an APC down the road at Karkand to the rear MEC bases.  But I guess since this game is full of ex-Counter-Strike players, all they want to do is shoot 'em up bang bang.
Uh great idea. Capping a crowded flag with a tank you got a 95% chance of getting

-C4ed
-Eryx/SRAWed
-n00b-tubed
-granaded
-TOWed
-APCed
-Tanked

or having a madass knife guy stabbing you in your tires.
Ditto - what you said. . .

It is a stupid idea to try and CAP flags with vehicles unless:

What one guy said - there is a UAV on your area.
+
It is a flag that has a reasonable site distance to enemy-cover-spawn-areas.
+
There are other guys helping you CAP that flag.

Else give yourself some distance and take some enemy troops out. . .

The only reason tanks and APC survive so long is not enough AT kits are used in game. Sometimes it is me and just one other guy. We get 3-5 hits on a tank (before getting spotted and blammo-ed) it goes down sometimes but others not because there is either a supply crate or other engineer fixing that tank. IF there were more AT-kits used it would make using a tank more difficult. The problem is a SHOT-GUN (AT-kit) is not a midrange or long-range weapon, and players don’t like feeling helpless at those distances so they don’t use this kit that often (me included).
cablecopulate
+449|6729|Massachusetts.
Who wants to cap flags in a tank? You're driving a fucking cannon. Go blow some medics up, leaving just enough of them to fit in an envelope. Killing is way more fun than watching a flag rise.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard