Parker
isteal
+1,452|6404|The Gem Saloon
can i get some help from all of you guys that know what the hell you are doing?
i found some barebone computers at tigerdirect.com
i think they have everything except video cards ram stuff like that which isnt to hard to do.
so could i get some help from you guys if i decide to do this?
The Stillhouse Kid
Licensed Televulcanologist
+126|6652|Deep In The South Of Texas
I'm game.
LockerFish
+47|6716
Don't buy from TigerDirect. There's unfortunate rumors about them.
spud924
+12|6463|The Sticks, WA, USA
first buy from newegg.com and second of course we'll help you just post your question
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

Parker wrote:

can i get some help from all of you guys that know what the hell you are doing?
i found some barebone computers at tigerdirect.com
i think they have everything except video cards ram stuff like that which isnt to hard to do.
so could i get some help from you guys if i decide to do this?
I don't know how many times I've given people this link, but:

https://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0789734044.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V58692539_.jpg
Upgrading and Repairing PCs (17th Edition)

If the basics in this book confuse you at all, stop and have someone else do it.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-12-30 18:58:19)

darthazeem
+7|6482
what bad things have you heard about tigerdirect?

https://www.bf2player.com/sig/67240774-539.png
LockerFish
+47|6716
That they're run by arab companies(not that that alone is necessarily bad) and there was a raid or something of a suspicious factory somewhere in chicago because locals were reporting a lot of suspicious looking Middle easter people going to a fro and into the warehouse and of course, they assumed the worst, which wasn't far from the truth in this instance. It ended up being one of the TigerDirect "distribution centers"but there was a lot of fraudulant activity going on. Also they've been known to partake in shady business dealings. Put it this way, you hear a lot of rumors about drug sales going to fund terrorism, why couldn't that be happening with a computer parts resaler? 

Long story short, you could be buying stolen merchandise and just look at their catalog, there are so many spelling and grammar mistakes, would you trust someone that can't spell with your money?
Reciprocity
+721|6591|the dank(super) side of Oregon
go to newegg and build it yourself.  start with cpu, then mobo, ram, gpu(s), power supply, hard drive(s), DVD drive(s), case.  top end rig will be >$1600, ~$1300 for mid range, <$1000 for a lower end, not counting the monitor.

biggest thing to remember is mobo compatability. cpu socket, ram type and voltage range, gpu interface, HD interface.

and dont skimp on the psu.  If it comes with your case, it's shit, don't even bother using it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

Reciprocity wrote:

go to newegg and build it yourself.  start with cpu, then mobo, ram, gpu(s), power supply, hard drive(s), DVD drive(s), case.  top end rig will be >$1600, ~$1300 for mid range, <$1000 for a lower end, not counting the monitor.

biggest thing to remember is mobo compatability. cpu socket, ram type and voltage range, gpu interface, HD interface.

and dont skimp on the psu.  If it comes with your case, it's shit, don't even bother using it.
To be specific on voltage, also check with the motherboard's downloadable manual and the RAM manufacturer to verify compatibility, as well as tech sites for possible test results using said combo. You also forgot to mention the importance of getting a good PSU and (usually), a battery backup. Additionally, I've never cared for the word "interface" being attached to "GPU" and "HDD." Usually, you'd just assign "interface" concepts like that as being a function of the operating system.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-12-30 20:40:59)

SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6670|The darkside of Denver

LockerFish wrote:

That they're run by arab companies(not that that alone is necessarily bad) and there was a raid or something of a suspicious factory somewhere in chicago because locals were reporting a lot of suspicious looking Middle easter people going to a fro and into the warehouse and of course, they assumed the worst, which wasn't far from the truth in this instance. It ended up being one of the TigerDirect "distribution centers"but there was a lot of fraudulant activity going on. Also they've been known to partake in shady business dealings. Put it this way, you hear a lot of rumors about drug sales going to fund terrorism, why couldn't that be happening with a computer parts resaler? 

Long story short, you could be buying stolen merchandise and just look at their catalog, there are so many spelling and grammar mistakes, would you trust someone that can't spell with your money?
Link me an article or something!!! thats nuts!
theknuck
It's pronounced Knuck, like in Knuckle!!
+45|6622|balls
will lend my .02 when you ask.  as for the whole tigerdirect bullshit, i've been running my evga 7900gt (not refurb) perfectly since christmas.  you telling me i'm supporting terrorism by buying from them???  stfu and stop smoking so much dope.  i lived in naperville, il for a year (where they have a distribution center) and never heard of such bs until reading your post.  if they can get me my item (i live in madison, wi now) in less than 24 hours, unlike newegg, then i guess they are doing something right.  get a clue dude.
Reciprocity

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

To be specific on voltage, also check with the motherboard's downloadable manual and the RAM manufacturer to verify compatibility, as well as tech sites for possible test results using said combo. You also forgot to mention the importance of getting a good PSU and (usually), a battery backup. Additionally, I've never cared for the word "interface" being attached to "GPU" and "HDD." Usually, you'd just assign "interface" concepts like that as being a function of the operating system.
the last sentence I wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

well, when I say interface, I'm talking about the physical connection between the component and the mobo, but I suppose that for the completely inept, it may be a little confusing.  although most unknowledged people don't even know what GUI means.
jsnipy
+3,276|6532|...

I'll provide constructive, serious help if you proceed. Step 1 should be to determine an overall budget and to decide what you now that will be used (for example, a monitor). I would also add, go with Newegg.com for parts.

Last edited by jsnipy (2006-12-30 21:22:19)

Reciprocity
yep, setting a budget is the very first step.  and remember, shipping may be anywhere from free to $50.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

Reciprocity wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

the last sentence I wrote:

Reciprocity wrote:

Completely missed that in my rush to run out for Mexican food. Sorry.

well, when I say interface, I'm talking about the physical connection between the component and the mobo, but I suppose that for the completely inept, it may be a little confusing.  although most unknowledged people don't even know what GUI means.
Actually, for the completely inept, the word "interface" will serve only to draw blank stares. And GUI? Some of the people I work with struggle with the concept of "icon." You can try to explain something, but unless they ask they usually don't even want to know.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-12-30 22:09:15)

Parker
isteal
wow, thanks for all the responses thus far.
newbie, i read some of the stuff and while i dont understand what everything does, i do understand that your basically connecting a whole bunch of components to a mobo.
i make knives for a living, so i know how to work with my hands and im a very quick learner.
the things im having trouble with is if i get type A processor then what type of other components does that limit me to? i just dont understand how i am supposed to choose between so many different types of the same component.
like ram for example. ddr2, ddr3, all the mhz shit. i dont know what any of that means and i dont know how it will effect my pc.
anway, my budget for this PC is $1000 american.
i already have keyboard/mouse/monitor so ill just need the tower.
im sorry if i seem retarted, this just isnt my thing yet. thanks again for the help so far guys.
spud924
+12|6463|The Sticks, WA, USA
basically you have two choices Intel or AMD.
as for the ram you will probably go for some ddr2 because ddr will become outdated and the new motherboards coming out mostly only support ddr2.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

Parker wrote:

newbie, i read some of the stuff and while i dont understand what everything does, i do understand that your basically connecting a whole bunch of components to a mobo.
i make knives for a living, so i know how to work with my hands and im a very quick learner.
the things im having trouble with is if i get type A processor then what type of other components does that limit me to? i just dont understand how i am supposed to choose between so many different types of the same component.
like ram for example. ddr2, ddr3, all the mhz shit. i dont know what any of that means and i dont know how it will effect my pc.
im sorry if i seem retarted, this just isnt my thing yet. thanks again for the help so far guys.
What you don't understand is it doesn't stop at "connecting a bunch of components to a mobo." But alright, it sounds like you want to learn. Great! Let's give you a leg up:

https://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0789734044.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V58692539_.jpg

These books are great. You're sure to find some oddball version of this one on most any tech's shelf, and they're popular for tech college courses. It's surprises me that I haven't been banned for "advertising" yet.

And whatever you decide to go with, be sure someone somewhere has tested your desired configuration before you commit to a purchase, otherwise you'll have to sit through a nightmare of RMA. Just remember: do your bloody friggin' research.

spud924 wrote:

as for the ram you will probably go for some ddr2 because ddr will become outdated and the new motherboards coming out mostly only support ddr2.
It's more complex than that. The names "Intel and AMD" alone cover a gigantic spectrum of products, some of which are more outdated than a grandmother's quilt. I can't count how many times I've seen people tell newcomers to the custom-building industry to go with Intel, then seen the newbies come back with "alright, I found a Pentium 3" or some other such "for sale." Then there's the video cards. "dud go nvidia" sometimes, yes, even in 2006, results in an "alright, now what about this 5200?" And while I agree that DDR is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, what with the failure of top-notch DDR to significantly drop in price, there are many kinds and brands of DDR2 to choose from, some of which are slow and unreliable and some of which are blazingly fast. Then there's the motherboard itself. You'll be looking at what chipset it has, what (sometimes) revision it's in, and what all memory has been proven to run stable with it. For a headache-free experience, every component should be analyzed online for potential issues and solutions. Then the fun begins...installation of the OS. If all goes well, great! Now you just have to get all of your drivers and network settings installed and configured without difficulty. And, if you haven't done your research, sit there with a disgusted look on your face while some random component fails while you try to figure out which one it is.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-12-30 22:43:08)

spray_and_pray
+52|6501|Perth. Western Australia

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Parker wrote:

What you don't understand is it doesn't stop at "connecting a bunch of components to a mobo." But alright, it sounds like you want to learn. Great! Let's give you a leg up:

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0 … 92539_.jpg

These books are great. You're sure to find some oddball version of this one on most any tech's shelf, and they're popular for tech college courses. It's surprises me that I haven't been banned for "advertising" yet.

And whatever you decide to go with, be sure someone somewhere has tested your desired configuration before you commit to a purchase, otherwise you'll have to sit through a nightmare of RMA. Just remember: do your bloody friggin' research.

spud924 wrote:

It's more complex than that. The names "Intel and AMD" alone cover a gigantic spectrum of products, some of which are more outdated than a grandmother's quilt. I can't count how many times I've seen people tell newcomers to the custom-building industry to go with Intel, then seen the newbies come back with "alright, I found a Pentium 3" or some other such "for sale." Then there's the video cards. "dud go nvidia" sometimes, yes, even in 2006, results in an "alright, now what about this 5200?" And while I agree that DDR is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, what with the failure of top-notch DDR to significantly drop in price, there are many kinds and brands of DDR2 to choose from, some of which are slow and unreliable and some of which are blazingly fast. Then there's the motherboard itself. You'll be looking at what chipset it has, what (sometimes) revision it's in, and what all memory has been proven to run stable with it. For a headache-free experience, every component should be analyzed online for potential issues and solutions. Then the fun begins...installation of the OS. If all goes well, great! Now you just have to get all of your drivers and network settings installed and configured without difficulty. And, if you haven't done your research, sit there with a disgusted look on your face while some random component fails while you try to figure out which one it is.
Dont intimidate any future PC builders research yeah sure but im quite sure you can put off a lot of people from building their own PC which is better then buying a constructed one. And research is a must but it seems like you set them up with too much problems as long as your system covers the requirements and you have bought a legal OEM of XP not a 2nd hand one or even a non OEM XP it will all be ok. And as long as you RTFM you will be ok. (Read the freakin or f*ckin manual) (most Linux users are used to this)
arson
+99|6647|New York
Get the Antec 900 case.
Parker
isteal
unnamednewbie,
you know when someone asks for help, it doesnt really accomplish anything by trying to act cool cause you know about computers.
every response youve had to this thread has been some smart ass reply about "you dont know how many times blah blah blah" then dont fucking post.
just because i dont know how to build a computer doesnt mean shit.
just because i make badass knives for living and shoot machine guns on a weekly basis doesnt mean shit.
just because you know how to build computers and do whatever it is that you do doesnt mean shit.
your no better than anyone else because of your knowledge.
so thanks for your responses, but you can shove it up your ass. i hope you feel smarter, or superior or whatever false sense you were trying to achieve.
have fun with your computers, and please the next time you want to feel smart try actually doing something, instead of trying to belittle people.
Reciprocity
you can do much more today with $1000 than you could even a year ago.  its a good place to start.
jsnipy
+3,276|6532|...

Parker wrote:

$1000 ... so lets get a compatible mobo+proc+memory selected. Currently, as a fact Intel is C2Ds are the fastest.

$224 processor, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6819115004
$145 mobo, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6813131142
$276 memory 2GB,  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820145153 x2
-----------
$645 so far
lets use this as a base line to work from, obviously this wont work since we have not gotten a video card, case, and psu

Last edited by jsnipy (2006-12-30 23:45:56)

Riddick51PB
+21|6518|Lincoln.ne.us
make sure you max out your graphics card(s) solution.

remember, you want the cpu to offload the intensive graphics processing to --- you guessed it --- the graphics card(s) to process.

then let the cpu handle other stuff like actual gameplay.  2GB of fast ddr ram also.  gl
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

Parker wrote:

unnamednewbie,
you know when someone asks for help, it doesnt really accomplish anything by trying to act cool cause you know about computers.
every response youve had to this thread has been some smart ass reply about "you dont know how many times blah blah blah" then dont fucking post.
just because i dont know how to build a computer doesnt mean shit.
just because i make badass knives for living and shoot machine guns on a weekly basis doesnt mean shit.
just because you know how to build computers and do whatever it is that you do doesnt mean shit.
your no better than anyone else because of your knowledge.
so thanks for your responses, but you can shove it up your ass. i hope you feel smarter, or superior or whatever false sense you were trying to achieve.
have fun with your computers, and please the next time you want to feel smart try actually doing something, instead of trying to belittle people.
Look, if you want a kiss-up, just go find a sycophantic salesman somewhere who's willing to foist some junker on you.

• When you ask for help and someone tries to give it, it doesn't really accomplish anything by trying to act cool by shoving it all their face.
  • Just because you don't know how to build a computer does mean shit. I don't go around building cars with a rough idea of how they're put together. If I had to, I'd learn first.
  • Just because you make badass knives for a living and shoot machine guns on a weekly bases doesn't mean shit. I can agree with you there, so don't try the "I'm cool and you're not" argument.
  • Just because I know how to build computers does mean shit, as this category is dedicated to computing.
  • I didn't say I was better than everyone else, or try to belittle people (even the ones who don't understand icons; it's just not their thing). I had actually guessed that you were willing to learn. Not everyone is. It was a compliment, though perhaps premature...
  • If I was going to post something useless, I'd go with a single-word /fail.

I don't mean this as a counter-flame, but your post is a whiny antithesis to what you're trying to tell me to do. Go have fun with whatever decision you make, and don't bother to follow any suggestions. If by some miracle everything pans out, then PM me and I might you a cookie.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-12-31 02:25:48)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard