Fredrik
i hate you all
+201|6649|Norway

Lt Dan's Legs wrote:

What?  The engines give the airplane speed which creates windflow over and under the wing.  The wheels are what make it go.  This is not a rocket we are talking about.  Without the wheels you would not be able to get enough airspeed to generate enough airflow over the wings to create lift.

norge wrote:

anyone that thinks the planes momentum is caused by the wheels is a fucking retard and needs to be banned asap.
:p
Lt Dan's Legs
Banned
+0|6329|Your Mom's House

Fredrik wrote:

Lt Dan's Legs wrote:

What?  The engines give the airplane speed which creates windflow over and under the wing.  The wheels are what make it go.  This is not a rocket we are talking about.  Without the wheels you would not be able to get enough airspeed to generate enough airflow over the wings to create lift.

norge wrote:

anyone that thinks the planes momentum is caused by the wheels is a fucking retard and needs to be banned asap.
Ok.  Take the wheels off the plane.  Do not adjust anything, just remove the wheels.  Forget the treadmill. Would it fly?
Psycho
Member since 2005
+44|6776|Kansas, USA

Lt Dan's Legs wrote:

Fredrik wrote:

Lt Dan's Legs wrote:

norge wrote:

Ok.  Take the wheels off the plane.  Do not adjust anything, just remove the wheels.  Forget the treadmill. Would it fly?
The wheels do not make the plane go. the wheels reduce the friction between the airplane and the runway. Sea planes have skids and no wheels, but they can fly right? Do the skids make the sea plane go?
Sk
stat padding is for girls
+41|6389
you don't need to do the real test.
you can just apply physics and work it out for youself....
It'll move, it'll fly.

can we stop now?
Lt Dan's Legs
Banned
+0|6329|Your Mom's House

Psycho wrote:

Lt Dan's Legs wrote:

Fredrik wrote:

Lt Dan's Legs wrote:

The wheels do not make the plane go. the wheels reduce the friction between the airplane and the runway. Sea planes have skids and no wheels, but they can fly right? Do the skids make the sea plane go?
Take the skids and floats off.....will it fly?
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6352|uk

thats not the point
that is irrelevant.

That is the same as saying stop the treadmill. will it fly

Last edited by Titch2349 (2006-12-29 11:01:03)

Sk
+41|6389

Lt Dan's Legs wrote:

Psycho wrote:

Lt Dan's Legs wrote:

yes... yes it will.

https://icons.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/d/Duffer37/0.jpg - no floats

https://www.nauticalniche.com/images/air/1.jpg - no floats

but, for the last time, so PLEASE get it into your head....

sea planes and ground planes are different.
I am willing to admit a seaplane may NOT take off.. this is do to it receiving CONSTANT / PERSISTANT FORCE whilst IN the river.

A ground plane's wheels are able to rotate, so do not recieve CONSTANT / PERSISTANT FORCE.

If you don't understant this, say so and I'll try and explain it better.

Last edited by Sk (2006-12-29 11:14:22)

norge
J-10 and a coke please
+18|6470

spray_and_pray wrote:

norge wrote:

spray_and_pray wrote:

You yourself are being dumb by spamming a topic and are ignoring other peoples point of view. You FAIL at proper discussion . Keep it nice and responsible or people wont take you seriously.
you fail at logic.  the reason i ignore other peoples points of view is because they are wrong.
You cannot prove they are wrong what you are saying is only theoretical and not a fact it is not solid evidence drawing up a diagram. Such an experiment would have to include a real life aircraft and over a few hundred tests with different variables. You failed at science? And at making me fail.
rofl.  okay so heres how it goes.  you take what we know from physics. (friction and lift and drag and all that other shit) and combine it with common sense (the wheels turn with minimal friction, causing a slight drop in the planes max speed, subtract that force of friction, and you would get(if the top speed of the plane was 200) a measurement of about 198.  then as soon as the plane got to the end of the treadmill at 198 mile per hour, it would lose that force of friction and reach max speed, and take off. however, a planes max speed is not the speed required to take off.  a plane will take off muhc sooner than that, so the plane will fly.
norge
J-10 and a coke please
+18|6470

Lt Dan's Legs wrote:

Psycho wrote:

Lt Dan's Legs wrote:

roflmao.  wheels have bearings, which allow the force of friction to be reduced by a huge amount.  if you took the wheels off a plane, it might still fly if the engines are strong enough to overcome the force of friction.  and a water plane without floats will not fly, because it will sink DUMBASS
Lt Dan's Legs
Banned
+0|6329|Your Mom's House

norge wrote:

Lt Dan's Legs wrote:

Psycho wrote:

roflmao.  wheels have bearings, which allow the force of friction to be reduced by a huge amount.  if you took the wheels off a plane, it might still fly if the engines are strong enough to overcome the force of friction.  and a water plane without floats will not fly, because it will sink DUMBASS
No need to be rude about it.
GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6763

https://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2762/airplanetreadmilljy0.jpg
Key thing to note is that the coefficient of friction between the wheels and asphalt is somewhere around .015 (For contrast, CoF for rubber and asphalt for a car is probably around .75). The force that the friction applies is negligible compared to the two huge jet engines on a plane. Give it up people, it will fly.

(Data derived from Wikipedia, Flight Simulation software formulas, and Physics 101)

Last edited by GotMex? (2006-12-29 13:11:40)

Lt Dan's Legs
Banned
+0|6329|Your Mom's House
I guess what I am having a hard time understanding.......

The treadmill is matching the speed of the tires in the opposite direction right?

If that is the case, then the plane would be stationary one would quickly assume.  You guys are bringing up all this scientific stuff which is good and helpful, just a little confusing for me I guess.
Titch2349
iz me!
+358|6352|uk

Okay.... the plane is staying put, because the wheels are free floating.... they do not affect the speed of the plane

They do not speed it up... they have no gears, all they do is go up and down, and give the plane something do move around on.

Because of this, when the tread mill is moving, it is only dragging the wheels, not the plane
Lt Dan's Legs
Banned
+0|6329|Your Mom's House

Titch2349 wrote:

Okay.... the plane is staying put, because the wheels are free floating.... they do not affect the speed of the plane

They do not speed it up... they have no gears, all they do is go up and down, and give the plane something do move around on.

Because of this, when the tread mill is moving, it is only dragging the wheels, not the plane
Just clicked.  I see now.  Thanks.
zeidmaan
+234|6415|Vienna

Easiest explanation to understand, and Ill PM it to everyone who doesn't read it but still posts.
If it was posted already than sorry, but I couldn't read 17 pages of this.
And also EASY with the name calling, its a legitimate brainteaser and not every one can get it as fast as you.

Imagine a Plane in the air flying in a straight line from left to right with a speed of 500 Mph, with wheels down.
And its flying and flying and flying. Than all of a sudden a huge magical treadmill starts rising from the ground slowly towards the plane. It is also parallel to the plane. The treadmill is running at 500 mph in the opposite direction. It goes up and up until it comes 5 cm from the plane. At this point the plane is flying 500 mph from left to right, and the treadmill at 500 mph from right to left. The plane is still not touching the treadmill but it keeps flying at 500 mph because its huge engines are moving it forward. Now the treadmill rises another 5 cms and touches the wheels. What happens???? The wheels start spinning madly but the plane keeps flying like nothing happened. If the treadmill increases its speed the wheels start spinning even faster, but the plane continues flying like nothing happened. OK?
Sk
+41|6389

Lt Dan's Legs wrote:

The treadmill is matching the speed of the tires in the opposite direction right?

If that is the case, then the plane would be stationary one would quickly assume.  You guys are bringing up all this scientific stuff which is good and helpful, just a little confusing for me I guess.
not quite.
the treadmill is matching the speed of the PLANE - not the tyres

I'd have to think a bit more about it if the treadmill was matching the tyre speed, as we'd quickly reach an infinite speed, so the friction greated would be infinite (until the tyres exploded, bearings fused etc)... so that's a bit more complicated.

But like I said many pages ago, the initial thread clearly states that the treadmill will match the PLANES speed, so this only means the wheels will spin at twice the rate the plane is moving
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6529|Global Command

Sk wrote:

Lt Dan's Legs wrote:

not quite.

I'd have to think a bit more about it if the treadmill was matching the tyre speed, as we'd quickly reach an infinite speed, so the friction greated would be infinite (until the tyres exploded, bearings fused etc)... so that's a bit more complicated.

But like I said many pages ago, the initial thread clearly states that the treadmill will match the PLANES speed, so this only means the wheels will spin at twice the rate the plane is moving
A plane
is standing on a runway that can move (like a giant conveyor
belt). This conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane's
speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but
in the opposite direction).

you are correct my son.
Sk
+41|6389

ATG wrote:

Sk wrote:

Lt Dan's Legs wrote:

not quite.

A plane
is standing on a runway that can move (like a giant conveyor
belt). This conveyor has a control system that tracks the plane's
speed and tunes the speed of the conveyor to be exactly the same (but
in the opposite direction).

you are correct my son.
cheers bud
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6493|N. Ireland
Depends on what plane.

A harrier in real life? Yes.
F-35B in BF2? Yes.
A320? No.
707-777? No.

.. you get the point
spud924
+12|6453|The Sticks, WA, USA
lol the treadmil matches the speed of the tires but DOES NOT change the airspeed so if the airspeed is the same then the jets will pull the plane through the air no matter how fast the fucking ground moves
[RDH]Warlord
Quakecon Attendee
+17|6659|SLC, Utah, USA
This'll never die.  The people who claim it won't take off never bother reading our posts about why it WILL take off, just seem to quietly drop out, or repeat that it won't with NO evidence to back them.

We just need to keep refuting their claim with evidence.  I probably posted the first explanation with NUMBERS way back on page 6 (http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 1#p1088631) and nobody replied to it.  While my numbers may have been a little low, they could still be doubled with no real change in the equation.

Last edited by [RDH]Warlord (2006-12-29 17:33:22)

arson
+99|6636|New York
Ok refute this,whats the speed of a standing object?  We can go forward from there.
[RDH]Warlord
Quakecon Attendee
+17|6659|SLC, Utah, USA
Side note, I don't really feel like going back over 8 pages of posts (that's how much I read today to catch up from last time I was here) to find out who posted that Schrödinger's treadmill question.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger%27s_cat)
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6848|"Frisco"

NO THE PLANE WILL NEVER TAKE OFF.

That IS the answer. If you think it isn't, please go take a physics class and present your findings in an oral report so everyone can laugh at you and your messy hair.

I'm closing this -- I think 6 pages is enough. Sheesh.
Kung Jew
That one mod
+331|6745|Houston, TX
/runs out of popcorn...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard