Brasso
+1,549|6640

I want to connect directly to my modem because my router is crap.  K?  I figure, get a LAN cable splitter and I'll be able to connect directly (using one of the split ports) and still keep the house wireless up (using the other port).  This is the one I was looking at: http://www.action-electronics.com/ppkeysto.htm#Splitter

1) Does this look okay?
2) Are there any others you would recommened?
and most importantly 3) Will this affect my performance in any way?

Thanks.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
King_County_Downy
shitfaced
+2,791|6607|Seattle

Good to go dog.

There's 8 wires in a cat5 connection and only 4 are in use. You'd need a router or a hub if you wanted to go 3 or more pc's on one cat5 cable.
Sober enough to know what I'm doing, drunk enough to really enjoy doing it
Brasso
+1,549|6640

Thanks Downy.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Shadovve
+10|6613|Columbus, OH
You cannot split a network cable the same way you can a phone cable.  You will need a hub, or switch in order to split the network signal after you modem in order to allow it to go to your PC and your router.
spud924
+12|6463|The Sticks, WA, USA

internet wrote:

Not For LAN-For RJ45 Cat5 Telephone Systems
two061vbma
Banned
+22|6386|Lenox MA
thats for ethernet? dosent look so to me
jcurts
+25|6375|Coventry, UK
If what you mean is:

____  PC   
                                  /                                Wireless Network
Modem --------- Splitter                               /
                                  \_____ Router -------\  Wired Network

It cannot be done. The reason is that your modem wouldn't be able to resolve the host for the ip address, cause its being split and has 2 Mac address to work with. Besides, its a data cable, and you need peer to peer connection, you cant randomly split and expect it to work.

Why is it that your router is shit? What router do you have? What isn't working that is making you thy this nonsense?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard