ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6534
ok so i have 1 gig of ram right now and i want 1 more. can i just get any 1 gig stick and put it in or do i need a 2 gig set? im a complete computer noob so help a brotha out.
INFERNO552
One shot wonder
+62|6452|canada
well if you have an open slot you can just get another stick
ig
+1,199|6534
i probably do, but where do i look?
INFERNO552
One shot wonder
+62|6452|canada
ig
+1,199|6534
thanks bro, +1
motherdear
+25|6663|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
go into <my computer<right click and select settings< go into the hardware area of the setting and then you press the unit handling button or something like that< find the ram in there and you can see the model and speed.

your new ram must not exceed the old rams speed because the rams speed is always decided by the slowset ram.  so you may have a really fast ram stick but it will get slowed down by the slow one. the ram stick must also be of the same type like DDR so that they can work together with each other.

hope i didn't make you even more confused, and i hope it helped you.
Dizik
It tastes like burning
+23|6827|Moore, OK
What kind of motherboard and memory do you currently have? This will help us out with suggesting something for you.

=Edit=
Download CPU-Z and give us screenshots of all the tabs, just in case.

Last edited by Dizik (2006-12-20 23:00:16)

tehz
<3 Bosnia
+11|6512|gulf of oman
looks as if you have 4 x 256 meg sticks (also mismatched in speed, not that it really matters)
chances are you can only host 4 sticks, so you would need a pair of 1 gig sticks to make you up to 2 gigs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820220079

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820609058

etc.
ig
+1,199|6534
k, thats what i thought because thats what my friend told me who gave me the comp.
i was just getting other info from other people on my team. thanks.
Dizik
It tastes like burning
+23|6827|Moore, OK
Your motherboard is a little hard to determine if it's an MSI Neo2 or Neo3, as search results for MS-6728 on MSI's site give you 9 results. This isn't a big deal, as all of the listed motherboards have 4 DIMMS for memory, and all are slated to run at a maximum of DDR-400.

Looks like you have four sticks (256MB x 4) of OCZ's DDR-500 already in it (at least in the first slot), as tehz mentioned, bringing you to 1GB.  Your motherboard is only rated to run a maximum of DDR-400. So your memory is currently not being used to its full potential. It's not running at DDR-500 speeds (2 * 250 MHz), but DDR-400 speeds (2 * 200 MHz). It's being underclocked thanks to the limits of the motherboard. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because if you want to overclock your memory, you'll have more overhead to do so.

So if you wanted to run 2GB, then I'd throw in 4 x 512MB sticks, or 2 x 1GB sticks, depending on what's cheaper. Newegg has a variety of options to choose from, so use that as a guideline.

=Edit=
Didn't see your edit adding additional CPU-Z screenshots. Yeah, having mismatched memory isn't that big of a deal. The only thing that will happen, as I mentioned, is your DDR-500 will be downclocked to match the other DIMMS you already have, which are DDR-400. Everything else I said still holds true.

Last edited by Dizik (2006-12-21 00:42:32)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard