usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

I am just wondering when you guys are squad leaders, do you like getting orders from the commander or not?  I do not like giving orders to squad leaders or receiving them.
notorious
Nay vee, bay bee.
+1,396|6748|The United Center
well, usually the commander sees more than anyone else on the battlefield, so he would know best.

when i'm commander, i usually type out or speak why a squad should go somewhere, then give out orders.  i.e. if i see an important flag is undefended, then i'll tell a squad or two or eight to go there and cap the flag. 

if it's something stupid like "repairs needed here" and my team consists of spec ops and medics...then no, i dont like getting commands.  but if its something good like "defend here" when the commander sees a unit moving toward a flag then yes, i'll obey.
Aegis
Sailor with no BF2 Navy
+19|6746|I'm worldwide, beotch

ThomasMorgan wrote:

well, usually the commander sees more than anyone else on the battlefield, so he would know best.
While he sees more, his position does not denote intelligence!

And now a quote from my other favorite forum : "Your new rank makes you much smarter and far more handsome."
oJmHo
I want the pink mist
+0|6809
I only give commands when its necessary...I don't like stating the obvious when I see squads doing something before I command them to do so.
Kamikaze17
Over the line!
+70|6750|Mark it zero.
i only like to recieve orders when its a commander that knows what he is doing. once in a while i'll give commands to people if they are needed.
DakotaDoc64
+0|6793|Omaha, Nebraska
Yes I give orders when commander.  Only when I see the strategic advantage.  And I back them up with UAV and/or Artillery.  Often when I start doing that I get squad leaders asking me for orders because they can tell that what I am trying to get them to do is working.  The commander has a unique view of the battle field that only one other person has, and they are on the other team.

I hate, above all else, those that take the commander position and don't command.  They just want to ride to the 2X "if" their team wins.  Most likely those that don't try and command will only help their team loose.
usmarine
Banned
+2,785|6763

Good point.  I guess I hesitate on giving orders since I hate getting them.  But in all fairness, sometimes commanders are busy fending off the enemy attacking the assests or busy repairing them.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6776|Noizyland

What i hate is being a commander and giving orders, recieving a roger that, and then have a squad doing whatever the fuck it wants.
If a commander gave me an order as a squad leader, I would do it if I thought it was a good idea, or if it was tangable. If I didn't think it was, I would say negative, and lead my squad to do something more productive.

I don't mind people refusing my orders, as long as they have reason, and they actually tell me that they're not going to do them. I have tried some of the other commands, particularly the malicious "You have your orders soldier."
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Parambulator
+0|6723
I Do give orders as commander and alot of times it is *Roger that* But the squad wont do what they just recieved to do... When I am squad leader and I get a command from a good commander.. Il obey and I just hope the Squadmembers will spawn on me
-=THC_RU=-
+0|6710
Yes give orders

the only thing is, u have to see who u give ur orders to, i.e. when I am in a bomber and u give me command attack there, u better make sure that there are no friendly soldiers around, otherwise I will kill everyone, get a bunch TKs/punish, and therefore will not follow ur orders anymore.
Eckzack
The east-german Fuxxer
+37|6846|Germany / Saxony
I´m hating this commanders, wich gives me orders, while I´m in an airplane...
I can´t attack flags or capture them. I can only shoot down other jets, choppers and I can bomb groung troops. But for that I need NO advice from my commander. It´s just nerving...
https://bf3s.com/sigs/384f5f7318c23ecb5909f14b157d6d31e8b5a332.png

IRNV-Field 3... New School Shit...
Mike<Eagle23>
BF2sEU old school admin - I don't care who you are
+359|6729|Germany

I only give orders if it is necessary. If the squads are doing a good job I let them do what they want to do. I hate commanders who give a squad orders every minute just to send them into the opposite direction a few seconds later.
But when there is an important flag, some enemy units and no defenders, I send someone to it (or try to defend it with arty). In that case I choose squad(s) that are next to the position or has a high mobility (for example a BlackHawk crew).
And:

[ohne was gegen meinen Vorredner sagen zu wollen]

I also give (defend here) orders to squad leaders who are pilots. They may not be able to take flags, but they can bomb the enemy who tries to take it.
I have no problems with pilots who do not follow orders (they have a reason), but at least squad leaders can press page up to send the orders to their squad.

Last edited by Mike<Eagle23> (2005-12-31 18:20:58)

thinner44
+1|6811

usmarine2005 wrote:

But in all fairness, sometimes commanders are busy fending off the enemy attacking the assests or busy repairing them.
Or maybe some of the not so obvious, like going to the toilet, eating/drinking, answering the door or phone, or one that really made me laugh, 'mom said I had to take the trash out', it happens from time to time

For your orininal post though, yep, I like to get orders if they're clear and likely to contribute to a team win, what I don't like and often happens, is when they shout 'attack here' at one end of the map and 10 seconds later shout 'defend here' at the other end of the map... to the same squad. All in all though, they do a great job under difficult conditions and most commanders are 'spot on'.
FireTiger
+0|6771
The commander can see everything, if he gives you an order, he depends on you and trusts you. If I am commander and everybody follows my orders exact I almost certainly win. The problem is that most squad leaders doesn't listen at all. Then it's hard to be a commander.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6773|Atlanta, GA USA
I prefer to have a commander who gives orders (if they make sense).  Part of the commander's job is to direct the troops.  Issuing commands is vital to this.  The commander should also try to provide UAV and arty support when sending a squad in to take a CP.  Also, I dislike commanders who ignore supply, UAV and arty requests.
I also want a squad leader who issues orders so we know where we're going.  When I am the SL and the commander doesn't give orders, I make my own.
I dislike it when commanders give orders I obviously can't follow (i.e. Repair when I don't have an Engy in my squad), however I don't mind so much if he follows up with "Hey, can you respawn as an engineer next time and take care of that?"
One other feature that a lot of SLs and Commanders fail to utilize is the VOIP.  I almost never have a commander who actually talks to me.  I don't want him to talk my ear off, but it is much clearer what he wants me to do if he talks to me.
Lastly, if you plan on flying a jet, why are you an SL?  You can't lead a squad from the air.  You can't issue orders or be used as a mobile spawn point.
Knochenmann_AUT
+1|6728
Fact: A squat needs a target. The squat leader have to set up a goal for the squat, and the mebers of that squat should follow that orders and NOT only use the leader as a mobile spawn point from time to time.

If you are a member: Ask for orders. If you have orders: follow them.
If you are a leader: Give accurate orders, and give new orders when the situation is changing. Ask the commander for orders if there is no logical target.
If you are a commander: Give oders, but only 1) if the the sqout is requesting orders, 2) or the squat leader is using orders and 3) if there is a GOOD reason for an order.

Follow that, and everyting will be ok.
Viper86DK
+1|6691
The commander should a capable person.

IMO there should be some kinda Commander school or something like that. No not just a 1 hour course but a long and hard course with learning to be a commander and ONLY the commander, not just someone who whats the time as one.

Also learning to give the right orders at the right time, place the arty at the right place and time, announcing it also.

Scan the terrain ALL THE TIME, keeping an eye on the enemys movements, and again KEEP announcing it to the sqaud leaders.

And remember sqaud leaders, there is a seperat Radioline FOR the commander so you ONLY speak to him an only him, use it. Tell him if you have seen something

Just a little bit from me

Last edited by Viper86DK (2006-01-03 05:03:36)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard