Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6653

Bertster7 wrote:

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

I doubt it. They'd have to attack across Iraq. I don't think the US would approve.
Well, the US did recently sell them 500 bunker buster bombs. I don't think they would invade either, but instead just fly over and bomb the facilities.
Surely those would be nuclear facilities not oil production facilities and wouldn't have much bearing on the switch from dollars to euros.

The French would probably shoot them down anyway, they can be awkward bastards the French
I don't think France would attack Israel. Israel, for the most part, has a more powerful military and a sizable nuclear arsenal. France, however, has the advantage of power projection through its navy and can sustain a war-time economy much longer than Israel. Also, I don't think France would want to risk US intervention or the massive casualties just for Iran.

And yes, I meant nuclear facilities. If their attack on Iraq and military action in the Middle East have shown us anything, it's that they are not a country with whom to fuck. That is especially bad for countries such as Lebanon who face full scale military retaliation for minor terrorist attacks, but Israel values its own survival first, and everything else second. Iran poses a larger threat to Israel's survival than Iraq did, mainly because Ahmadinejad has been proclaiming its destruction as if he were Nostradamus. Combine that with Ahmadinejad's Holocaust "study group", which is widely believed to have the sole purpose reducing Israeli sentiment and support, all signs are pointing towards a conflict between these two.

Last edited by Fancy_Pollux (2006-12-18 14:50:02)

Colfax
PR Only
+70|6651|United States - Illinois

Bertster7 wrote:

Colfax wrote:

It won't affect anything in the states.
It will. It will devalue the dollar. Not by much, but compounded with all the other problems and the future potential for moving a lot of oil sales to Euros rather than dollars, it could be really quite serious.
Not really.  We don't get much oil from Iran or any middle eastern country for that matter.  Most our oil comes from canada and mexico.  We have reserves so if it is gonna hurt the dollar that bad we will tap into that.  Plus oil shale, the gulf find, and if people would stop bitching about drilling in the ANWR we'd be fine.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6653

Colfax wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Colfax wrote:

It will. It will devalue the dollar. Not by much, but compounded with all the other problems and the future potential for moving a lot of oil sales to Euros rather than dollars, it could be really quite serious.
Not really.  We don't get much oil from Iran or any middle eastern country for that matter.  Most our oil comes from canada and mexico.  We have reserves so if it is gonna hurt the dollar that bad we will tap into that.  Plus oil shale, the gulf find, and if people would stop bitching about drilling in the ANWR we'd be fine.
I think things will change for the better, too, once we get a new president (like McCain, Obama, Clinton) in office.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6589|SE London

Colfax wrote:

Bertster7 wrote:

Colfax wrote:

It's nothing to do with that.

Everyone who buys oil has to pay for it in US dollars. Which means all the other countries have to buy dollars off the US to buy their oil with. This boosts the value of the dollar, which is struggling at the moment. If a few more US hating oil producing countries do the same then far fewer dollars will be bought by foreign governments to pay for their oil, they'll be buying Euros.

Oil reserves and where you buy your oil from is a totally unrelated issue.

Oh, and btw Fancy, I was joking about France - due to the recent tensions between them and Israel in their UNIFIL role, they nearly opened fire on Israeli fighters in Lebanese airspace.
jonsimon
+224|6503
Berster's got a good grasp on the situation. This one event, alone, only has minor significance, a devaluation of the dollar. The importance of the switch is that OPEC will eventually follow suit if Iran survives. The next question is when do we invade Iran, under what pretense, and where will we get the soldiers? I was really hoping this kind of thing wouldn't happen until I was out of the States.
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6638|Washington, DC

jonsimon wrote:

Berster's got a good grasp on the situation. This one event, alone, only has minor significance, a devaluation of the dollar. The importance of the switch is that OPEC will eventually follow suit if Iran survives. The next question is when do we invade Iran, under what pretense, and where will we get the soldiers? I was really hoping this kind of thing wouldn't happen until I was out of the States.
I'll lose all hope for this country if we invade over a country's dollar.
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6527|Πάϊ

Hurricane wrote:

Don't worry! I'm sure if they decide to invade they will first make sure to create a fancy pretext for it. The peoples' support is vital.
ƒ³
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6653

oug wrote:

Hurricane wrote:

Don't worry! I'm sure if they decide to invade they will first make sure to create a fancy pretext for it. The peoples' support is vital.
Because America is just like Nazi Germany, right?

oug wrote:

Its funny how the americans think they made europe a favour in WWII.

Its time to realise that you are today what germany was back in '39. So do your thing, and the rest of us will do our thing. At least the germans weren't looking for sympathy while trying to conquer the world.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6374|Columbus, Ohio

oug wrote:

Its funny how the americans think they made europe a favour in WWII.

Its time to realise that you are today what germany was back in '39. So do your thing, and the rest of us will do our thing. At least the germans weren't looking for sympathy while trying to conquer the world.
We are trying to conquer the world? Hmmm.

We are just like WWII Germany?  I guess so, since I passed a concentration camp on the way to work.

Last edited by usmarine2007 (2006-12-18 17:54:23)

crimson_grunt
Shitty Disposition (apparently)
+214|6662|Teesside, UK

usmarine2007 wrote:

We are just like WWII Germany?  I guess so, since I passed a concentration camp on the way to work.
Guantanamo is in ohio?  I thought it was down in cuba?
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6653

oug wrote:

Dude get over it already. Didn't I explain this quote? If you failed to get the PM then I can explain it again. Btw I stand by what I said both then and now.

And for the sake of the argument, no, Nazi Germany has nothing to do with this. Attacking Iran over this matter would remind me of what Athens did to its so-called "allies" a few centuries back - attacking that is, whoever decided to leave the "alliance" or whoever tried to avoid the tax imposed within that alliance.

Just imagine what might happen, should Iran get away wit this unpunished... In the future other countries might follow if they deem its in their best interest to do so. That would be devastating for the US economy. So, I think that at present it is essential to show that such actions are unprofitable to say the least. Although in my humble opinion, war is not an option.
You're right, you did explain that quote:

oug wrote:

I must however stand by what I said about Germany and the USA doing the same thing then and now. I think there's only one thing a superpower can do if they do not want to lose their status and position. So I'm not blaming anyone really, after all I think any country in your position would have the exact same policy. All I'm saying is you cannot expect the people you enslave to love you.
jonsimon
+224|6503

Hurricane wrote:

jonsimon wrote:

Start losing hope, thats why we invaded Iraq.
Dizik
It tastes like burning
+23|6822|Moore, OK

Colfax wrote:

Plus oil shale, the gulf find, and if people would stop bitching about drilling in the ANWR we'd be fine.
It's not cost effective to drill for oil shale, and the amount of oil we would get from the ANWR is insignificant compared to the rest of the world's production. So, both of those points are moot.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6608|132 and Bush

Dizik wrote:

Colfax wrote:

Plus oil shale, the gulf find, and if people would stop bitching about drilling in the ANWR we'd be fine.
It's not cost effective to drill for oil shale, and the amount of oil we would get from the ANWR is insignificant compared to the rest of the world's production. So, both of those points are moot.
The gulf is more plausible.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Dizik
It tastes like burning
+23|6822|Moore, OK

Kmarion wrote:

Dizik wrote:

Colfax wrote:

The gulf is more plausible.
Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Seems to me the past day or so has been a sort of mini Kmarion/Dizik agreement fest. Yay. +1 for, and thanks for having rational thoughts.
Sh1fty2k5
MacSwedish
+113|6717|Sweden

crimson_grunt wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

+1
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6374|Columbus, Ohio

crimson_grunt wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Are you comparing Gitmo to a concentration camp?
EVieira
+105|6486|Lutenblaag, Molvania

Bertster7 wrote:

CameronPoe wrote:

You have to admire Iranian tactics. While the US 'superpower' is bogged down in the shitfest it created in Iraq, the likes of North Korea, Syria and Iran are capitalising on every opportunity that comes by that otherwise would ordinarily have been thwarted. The question I have is this: what implications does this have for Europe?
Good ones.

It'll massively boost the European economy whilst detracting from the US economy. The Euro will rise in value and the Dollar will fall.
Which isn't necessarily good. The euro is too strong already, european made goods and tourism could suffer if the euro got stronger. A weaker dollar means more US exports, which means a desperately needed adjustment to their commercial deficit. If the dollar fell a bit, it would actually help the US.

Bertster7 wrote:

Europe will likely support these changes. If trading oil in Euros really takes off then there could be huge shifts in economic power very quickly.
The euro might finally start to be worth the effort...
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6527|Πάϊ

usmarine2007 wrote:

crimson_grunt wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

No he is not comparing it. He is naming it. And rightly so.
ƒ³
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6374|Columbus, Ohio

oug wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

crimson_grunt wrote:

No he is not comparing it. He is naming it. And rightly so.
What?
EVieira
+105|6486|Lutenblaag, Molvania

usmarine2007 wrote:

crimson_grunt wrote:

usmarine2007 wrote:

Gitmo wasn't the first. US had several during world war 2, specially for japanese in the west coast.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6527|Πάϊ
Guantanamo is a concentration camp.
ƒ³
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6374|Columbus, Ohio

oug wrote:

Guantanamo is a concentration camp.
oh my

/walks away slowly
delta4bravo*nl*
Dutch Delight
+68|6760
US is not using oil from Iran as far as I know anyway... and if they do its only a small amount.
If the euro gets stronger and the dollor cheaper than that will be a problem for both the us and europa, export products of europe are still mostly paid in USD.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petr … mport.html
crimson_grunt
Shitty Disposition (apparently)
+214|6662|Teesside, UK

usmarine2007 wrote:

If its not what is is it?

Definitions of a concentration camp:
A place for assembling and confining political prisoners and enemies of a nation.

Internment centre established by a government to confine political prisoners or members of national or minority groups for reasons of state security, exploitation, or punishment.

concentration camp, a detention site outside the normal prison system created for military or political purposes to confine, terrorize, and, in some cases, kill civilians.

a penal camp where political prisoners or prisoners of war are confined (usually under harsh conditions)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard