• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Does setting a new resolution for my monitor cause BF2 to crash?
Pisacis
+1|6408|UK
At the moment I'm lucky enough to have one of those amazing 21 or 22 inch Mac screens, widescreen. It's incredible. To get it to its best, I've changed my resolution to 1280x1050. However, when I try to load BF2, I get a splash screen and an instant crash to desktop. It's the only change that I can think of since I last played it. So - does BF2 spazz out if your screen resolution is too high?
Brasso
+1,549|6656

Resolution takes a big toll on graphics cards.  So probably yes.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6464|King Of The Islands

BF2 does not support widescreen. There's a lot of piss-farting about you have to do to get it going.

First you will have to delete ALL of your video.con files in My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles. Also to get BF2 started in widescreen (as you can't choose it in game)

Code:

"C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1050
in your bf2 shortcut
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
brome
brap.
+244|6613|Accidental, TK

Pisacis wrote:

At the moment I'm lucky enough to have one of those amazing 21 or 22 inch Mac screens, widescreen. It's incredible. To get it to its best, I've changed my resolution to 1280x1050. However, when I try to load BF2, I get a splash screen and an instant crash to desktop. It's the only change that I can think of since I last played it. So - does BF2 spazz out if your screen resolution is too high?
lol.no. Wide-screen isn't the problem - I've played it on a wide-screen monitor.  Maybe it's just allergic to the macciness? And I well want one of those screens... they're so out of my league.  Guess what I'm gona tell you to do?

reinstall.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6464|King Of The Islands

brome wrote:

reinstall.
Didn't have to for my mate's Samsung 205BW.
?
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Pisacis
+1|6408|UK

haffeysucks wrote:

I dunno, I have dual Geforce 7950 GX2s and 4+ GHz of processor. It should at least try to run it, surely.

Cheez wrote:

BF2 does not support widescreen.
I had no joy with this, the screen just flashes black for the most splittiest of secondses. Then nothing - no BF2.exe in Task Manager.

brome wrote:

Maybe it's just allergic to the macciness? ... reinstall.
Maybe. Which would be a shit seeing as this screen is the fucking nuts, but won't be mine forever, so I guess isn't the end of the world. As for reinstalling, fun and games. Out of curiousity, what would that do to my SF installation?

I'm gonna try switching down to 1280x768 to see if that works.
Pisacis
+1|6408|UK
Yeah dropping the resolution gets it going, but I have to say the quality is shit in comparison. How hard is it to update a widescreen aspect ratio, EA? Christ. Anyway, if it's relevant that high resolutions crash the game, is there a repository for information like this on the site? It could do with being added.
Inspect@hDeck
+23|6451|Browntown

haffeysucks wrote:

Would having my resolution at 1680x1050 hurt my FPS?
fannwong00
+6|6718|Paris, France (Sporean)

Inspect@hDeck wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

Would having my resolution at 1680x1050 hurt my FPS?
depends on your video card. i am hitting 100+ fps with my 7800gtx at 1024x768. i tried switching to 1280 and it crashed. i am on a mac 20inch. i'm going to try the command string thing when i am back home and see if it works. the native rez of this screen is 1680x1050 and i'll love to see if i can get it to work at that setting. anyways, i think anything >60fps is wasted as the screen refresh is 60mhz.
  • Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Does setting a new resolution for my monitor cause BF2 to crash?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard