Total: 261
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6543|Los Angeles

Commie Killer wrote:

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

GATOR591957 wrote:

In the Old Testament the following crimes deserved the death penalty:
3. Speaking a curse over parents (Ex 21:17).
6. Practicing magic (Ex 22:18).
7. Fortune telling and practicing sorcery (Lev 20:27).
9. Adultery and fornication (Lev 20:10-12, Deut 22:22).
10. If a woman has intercourse before marriage (Deut 22:20-21).
17. Homosexuality (Lev 20:13).
Do Christians believe that those crimes deserve the death penalty?

If not, why not?
Because we have advanced 2,000 years, even though religion is stupid, and this topic has already become to religious, I dont think anyone believes that those things deserve death.
Thanks, but again, I'm interested to hear from Christians. Yes, 2,000 years have passed, but does time dilute the direct instructions of God to Moses?

Is there a statute of limitations on God's word?

If not, why SHOULDN'T real Christians kill adulterers, gays, people who swear at their parents, or women who have sex before marriage?
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6584|Texas - Bigger than France
I've posted mine in this thread.  It's the same as everything, you pick what's important and follow it.

An example - the Catholics have preached the rythm method of contraception, yet the bible says the woman is suppose to be put to death.

The bible isn't literal and is up for interpretation.  Which includes everything...including the commandments.  So squaring beliefs with the bible, or more specifically their faith is really up to the individual.  It has to do with the morals which they have taken to heart or as a rationalized omission.  I'm pretty sure I didn't have to explain that.

As far as the bible goes, it's contradictory.  You can pick and choose a topic, but it's really up to individual interpretation.

Last edited by Pug (2006-12-14 12:56:14)

Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6619|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!
Kill and be killed back...Simple!

Why would we keep a murderer in jail for the rest of his day when we can kill him right now and save lots of money!
jimmanycricket
EBC Member
+56|6697|Cambridge, England
i still dont understand whats wrong with a guillotine, its quicker and only painfull for 10 seconds or so.

Do you know how much it cost to keep someone alive in jail.

Its much better to kill them, that is if they have commited murder definitivly

Last edited by jimmanycricket (2006-12-14 13:03:40)

The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6543|Los Angeles

Pug wrote:

I've posted mine in this thread.  It's the same as everything, you pick what's important and follow it.

As far as the bible goes, it's contradictory.  You can pick and choose a topic, but it's really up to individual interpretation.
Yep.

But if you are Christian and believe in the death penalty, what are your thoughts on Jesus encouraging us to go beyond "eye for an eye" and to forgive?

Do you think this teaching of Jesus' is incorrect?

Do you believe words from God's mouth > words from Jesus' mouth?

Have you never considered this teaching of Jesus because it contradicts your own opinion?

Do you ignore anything in the bible that contradicts your own opinion?

That's the sort of stuff I'm interested to hear about. I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong or right here. I'm honestly interested to hear from people who subscribe to particular religions, to understand more about how people use and interpret their religion's teachings, especially when key documents teach completely contradictory things.
smtt686
this is the best we can do?
+95|6673|USA
Its time to get rid of "death row" and create "death week".  Especially if there is a way to prove that you did it no matter what your state of mind is, I say lets take care of business.  There is NO reason to have it take as long as it does.  I am sick of paying for it everyday.  You kill someone and we should be able to kill you back.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6727|United States of America
34 minutes of chemicals getting pumped into you? I figure it actually be painful if he was getting rocks thrown at him for all that time but come on... If he wanted to die fast, guillotine or firing squad

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

I'm curious to hear from Christians in favor of the death penalty. How can you justify your support, given the fundamental teachings and beliefs of your faith?
Who is the one pulling the switch? If you don't, you haven't killed anyone.

The Shipbiulder wrote:

But if you are Christian and believe in the death penalty, what are your thoughts on Jesus encouraging us to go beyond "eye for an eye" and to forgive?

Do you think this teaching of Jesus' is incorrect?

Do you believe words from God's mouth > words from Jesus' mouth?

Have you never considered this teaching of Jesus because it contradicts your own opinion?

Do you ignore anything in the bible that contradicts your own opinion?

That's the sort of stuff I'm interested to hear about. I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong or right here. I'm honestly interested to hear from people who subscribe to particular religions, to understand more about how people use and interpret their religion's teachings, especially when key documents teach completely contradictory things.
Religion isn't a contract. You aren't forced to agree with everything that is said by it. Abortion, for instance; the pro-life people aren't all religious and the pro-choice are not necessarily all areligious.

Last edited by DesertFox423 (2006-12-14 13:20:42)

Pug

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

Pug wrote:

Yep.

But if you are Christian and believe in the death penalty, what are your thoughts on Jesus encouraging us to go beyond "eye for an eye" and to forgive?  Like I said before, there are exceptions.

Do you think this teaching of Jesus' is incorrect? Not in my interpretation

Do you believe words from God's mouth > words from Jesus' mouth? The bible is an allegory

Have you never considered this teaching of Jesus because it contradicts your own opinion? Not in my interpretation

Do you ignore anything in the bible that contradicts your own opinion? This is inherent in your faith.  What to follow, what it means, etc

Basically, you probably need to have this discussion with someone else.  You're looking for a "no way...the Bible says this" kind of guy.  Ever read the book Contact - "How come God didn't leave us a big sign proving His existance?"  "He did, he left the Bible".  I'm not the guy answering that question...  I think you take what you want, interpret it as you want, and that's good enough. 

I don't believe the bible is the last line of defense like "lets go to the bible and see what it says".  Its been translated in interpreted so many times, there is no way that people didn't try to "improve" on what was there.  So of course its contradictory. 

I'm saying the bible does not equal religion.  Faith and individual interpretation of what you believe is right and wrong is want religion is.

I use that definition for agnostics, atheists or other religions as well.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6689
You take someones life, you have no right to keep your own. Period.
Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6404|Vancouver

Ajax_the_Great1 wrote:

You take someones life, you have no right to keep your own. Period.
The executioner takes the life of the murderer. You might want to rephrase that.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6487|The Land of Scott Walker

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

. . . Clearly the Bible encourages the following:

1) Thou shalt not kill
2) lex talionis (eg eye for an eye, life for a life)
3) In certain circumstances, it's OK to kill someone else
4) Jesus says to go beyond lex talionis, and to be above all that by forgiving even our enemies

If you are Christian and have ANY opinion on the death penalty, your belief directly violates SOME teaching of the Bible. To Christians in favor of the death penalty, how and why do you choose to support "eye for an eye" when Jesus teaches that we should be above that? For Christians against the death penalty, what about the many very specific examples that God spoke to Moses of when it is OK to kill someone? Do you believe God was wrong to say this? If God instructed us to kill any woman who has sex before marriage, how can anyone deny his direct orders and still call themselves Christian?
I did not read the rest of the thread, stopped to address your questions, so I apologize if I'm repeating anything others have posted.  It is your opinion the stances you list conflict with each other.  I seriously doubt I will convince you otherwise.  Still, I will try to answer your question to the best of my ability.

Here is some pertinent info that needs to be added to the discussion:

1 - You state "clearly" the Bible says thou shalt not kill. 

A search regarding the Hebrew word in that passage will show that "kill" is better translated "murder".  Sometimes it is necessary to go back to the original language to determine the full scope of a verse. 

2 - Eye for an eye

The purpose of this was to provide fair retribution against the offender by the civil authority on behalf of the offended.  The obvious intent was to prevent the offender from carrying out his own justice, which would not be fair and in most cases probably ended up being excessive.  Example: A man sleeps with another man’s sister, so the offended kills the offender.  The punishments served to remove dangerous people from society (Deut. 19:19) and to deter potential criminals from breaking the law. (Deut.  19:20) Much more to this concept, but I don’t feel like listing it here. 

3 - In certain circumstances, it’s OK to kill someone else. 

Not sure specifically what you’re referring to here.  Basic logic would tell us that killing to defend myself is permissible.  This goes back to point #1, murder is wrong.  Any other killing must be punished based on the motivation.   

4 - Jesus says to go beyond lex talionis, and to be above all that by forgiving even our enemies.

Individually, yes, forgive our enemies.  It is not for us to carry out retribution on our own.  However, as in #2, the government has the responsibility to protect society and enforce the law so potential criminals have a reason to fear punishment. 

This is all off the top of my head and is my opinion in a nutshell on the death penalty based on my study of the Bible to this point.  I do not believe it violates any other teaching in the Bible, but I could be wrong.  A better answer could be given with a bit of study, but I don’t have time for that right now.  If I did not answer all your questions, let me know and I'll attempt to answer them.
silo1180
The Farewell Tour
+79|6464|San Antonio, TX

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

GATOR591957 wrote:

Your original question was about Christians believing in the death penalty.  I gave you proof the bible allows it.
But I wasn't interested in proof that the Bible "allows" it. I'm well familiar with the passages people use to justify their opinions. What I'm interested to discuss is people's reactions to contradictions in the document that forms the basis of their religion, and thus their worldview and system of beliefs.

Certainly as you ctrl-c ctrl-v'd from elsewhere, people who support the death penalty can quote specific passages which seem to support their stance. But others who are against the death penalty can quote other specific passages to support their diametrically-opposeing viewpoint.

Here's the thing, and I'm interested to hear from Christians with ANY stance on the death penalty.

Clearly the Bible encourages the following:

1) Thou shalt not kill
2) lex talionis (eg eye for an eye, life for a life)
3) In certain circumstances, it's OK to kill someone else
4) Jesus says to go beyond lex talionis, and to be above all that by forgiving even our enemies

If you are Christian and have ANY opinion on the death penalty, your belief directly violates SOME teaching of the Bible. To Christians in favor of the death penalty, how and why do you choose to support "eye for an eye" when Jesus teaches that we should be above that? For Christians against the death penalty, what about the many very specific examples that God spoke to Moses of when it is OK to kill someone? Do you believe God was wrong to say this? If God instructed us to kill any woman who has sex before marriage, how can anyone deny his direct orders and still call themselves Christian?
Ok... I'm not a "bible thumper and you're going to burn in hell because you don't believe what I believe type of Christian".  I believe in the death penalty.  I think (MY OPINION ONLY) I can justify the death penalty based on the fact that I am not the person actually taking the life.  If I actually killed someone (intentionally, or accidentally), that's the crime I have to live with, and that's the mark I will have to answer to when I meet my maker. 

I believe if it came down to it, and I was on a jury, if the crime was heinous enough, I could vote for the death penalty over a life sentence.  Now is this the same as actually killing the person.  Yes, I believe so.  There are going to be doubts, and there should be when a person is sentenced to death, and it's something you are going to have to dwell on for the rest of your life.  But we see so many tales of repeat offenders these days because our laws have become too liberal and it seems the criminals rights are held above the rights of the family that was wronged.

Now... as for the bible telling us to "kill any woman that has pre-marital sex"... society has become a lot more relaxed about things like this.  But most Christian's believe that it is something you will be judged by when you die.  Fortunately, there's repentance.  You can ask for forgiveness and be relieved of the sin in the eyes of the Lord.
Mr.Pieeater
+116|6666|Cherry Pie
He murdered a person.  The way I see it he should have been tortured to death.
Pug
Another literal interpretation of Christianity is absolute forgiveness.  Therefore, you can do anything you want as long as you repent.

It's a similar argument as death penalty = damnation.
The_Shipbuilder
Stay the corpse
+261|6543|Los Angeles

Stingray24 wrote:

If I did not answer all your questions, let me know and I'll attempt to answer them.
I think I get the basics of your interpretation - the "eye for an eye" should apply to governments, whereas the "turn the other cheek" should apply to individuals.

Very insightful, thanks for taking the time to answer. +1
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6502|UK
Hey if there 100% guilty do it, waste of money keeping them alive being honest. Lol at ATG's pic's jsut a little bit of fun hey maybe it will put em off .
nlsme
+48|6457|new york

RicardoBlanco wrote:

My ONLY issue with capital punishment is making sure the guy you kill is actually guilty. 100% certainty is hard to prove.
QFT how many death row convictions have been overturned. However I do beleive in the death penalty.
nlsme
+48|6457|new york

wah1188 wrote:

Hey if there 100% guilty do it, waste of money keeping them alive being honest. Lol at ATG's pic's jsut a little bit of fun hey maybe it will put em off .
Did you know that it is more expensive to execute someone than it is to keep them in prison for life. At least in America, due to the legal costs associated with this, let alone the fact that most death row inmates live for 10 to 15 yrs befoe their execution is carried out. During that time it is 5 times more costly to incarcerate the inmate due to the fact that they are more one on one then general population.
OpsChief
+101|6718|Southern California

ATG wrote:

Solution: pull one of these into the prison yard.

http://i10.tinypic.com/334hlyg.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/40emm3m.jpg

Give them a pint of vodka and some valium and rig a conveyour belt feeding them in after they pass out.
puke!!!!

I saw the results of an LA City shredder snagging a worker once and that's enough. It took only 7/10 of a second though not enough time to even register the pain before lights out.
Stingray24

Pug wrote:

Another literal interpretation of Christianity is absolute forgiveness.  Therefore, you can do anything you want as long as you repent...
If forgiveness is not absolute, what's the point? 

I can't do whatever I want.  Forgiveness does not give me the right to go around sinning my head off.  To be forgiven requires I admit I'm guilty of the sin and truly repent.  Silly humans, we think we can bs God into forgiving us when we don't mean it.
Stingray24

The_Shipbuilder wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

If I did not answer all your questions, let me know and I'll attempt to answer them.
I think I get the basics of your interpretation - the "eye for an eye" should apply to governments, whereas the "turn the other cheek" should apply to individuals.

Very insightful, thanks for taking the time to answer. +1
Glad to be of service.  Thanks for reading with an open mind.
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6695|pimelteror.de
errare humanum est

you can not be 100% sure that there isn´t a failure in the judgement.

the united states killed a lot of innocent people, because some judges/lawyers/whatever failed.

pro death penalty:
- revenge. the dumb lynchmob gets, what it wants. it is what your instinct wants, not what heart or ratio would  recommend.

contra:
- it is more expensive to execute a prisoner, than to keep him in jail for his lifetime
- you don´t kill innocent people, when you keep them in jail
- there are a large variety of murder. some of them could be done from everyone, because you can understand the reason why and might would act the same way, too (if someone rapes your mother and daughter and you get the chance the next day to revenge - who wouldn´t unload his gun into the rapist?) - but that would still be murder and murderers should get executed?
- death penalty is final. but people can change. if someone stays 30 years in prison for a murder and becomes another man - give him a second chance to pursue happiness

the main problem here is, that there are too many idiots here, who can only see black and white, yes and no, "be with us or be with the terrorists".
but all my words can´t change those, because they will not take a look on the more complicated reality. it is better to be dumb but happy, than smart and sad...
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6447|North Carolina

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

errare humanum est

the united states killed a lot of innocent people, because some judges/lawyers/whatever failed.

pro death penalty:
- revenge. the dumb lynchmob gets, what it wants. it is what your instinct wants, not what heart or ratio would  recommend.

contra:
- it is more expensive to execute a prisoner, than to keep him in jail for his lifetime
- there are a large variety of murder. some of them could be done from everyone, because you can understand the reason why and might would act the same way, too (if someone rapes your mother and daughter and you get the chance the next day to revenge - who wouldn´t unload his gun into the rapist?) - but that would still be murder and murderers should get executed?
- death penalty is final. but people can change. if someone stays 30 years in prison for a murder and becomes another man - give him a second chance to pursue happiness

the main problem here is, that there are too many idiots here, who can only see black and white, yes and no, "be with us or be with the terrorists".
but all my words can´t change those, because they will not take a look on the more complicated reality. it is better to be dumb but happy, than smart and sad...
A lot of the points you make against the death penalty would be countered by making the process a simple 2-appeal system with a bullet in the head upon failing the second appeal.

As for the statistical thing about innocents being killed....  Let's face it.  The justice system isn't really about justice, it's about revenge.  When you live in a country with an abnormally high rate of murder (for a First World Country at least), you need the death penalty.

Also, we have the highest incarceration rate per capita of any country in the world.  Our prisons are already full as it is, so we don't need serial killers taking up space.

The third thing is....  I think certain revenge killings should be legal.  If you come home from work one evening to find your spouse fucking someone else, you should be allowed to kill both of them right there.  I know I probably would.

I can say that I would certainly let a guy or girl off the hook while being on a jury, if the situation was one where I would kill someone out of vengeance myself.  Sometimes, that's what justice really is.
OpsChief
+101|6718|Southern California

[pt] KEIOS wrote:

errare humanum est

pro death penalty:

contra:

I agree sort of. I understand most prisons are the "college" level criminal education for those who have decided on an outlaw path. If prisoners can be 'changed' it is by segregating them not pooling their resources.

To execute someone there must be absolute 100% surety of guilt so the attorney razzle dazzle bit in the court rooms has to go away. But it is stupid that a 60 second execution costs more than $800,000, based on only $20k per yr over a 20 yr sentence and some prisons are more costly.

The whole system is broke.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6591|Southeastern USA

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard