R3v4n
We shall beat to quarters!
+433|6495|Melbourne

Bahiti wrote:

R3v4n wrote:

Bahiti wrote:

With your rice .. fresh ground pepper little bit of butter, some parsley flakes or even a small amount of dried basil .. bit of salt .. you're good to go.
Quite the chef there arent you Bahiti!
I love to cook.  Mostly homemade stuff.  Hubby likes it too LOL  Got tons of recipes to share.  Just made homemade minestrone with pull apart yeast rolls for supper tonight.
mmmmm...... sounds good!

think i might have chicken schnitzel and steamed Vegies tonight!

haffeysucks wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

great suggestions.  im fricking starving cant wait till i start cooking this sucker
Then how bout you get off the damn computer and cook it already?

Don't forget the ketchup.  Oh, classic ketchup, how I love you.
rolf we call that "Dead Horse" or "Tomato Source" in Aus

Last edited by R3v4n (2006-12-14 15:51:15)

~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6447|King Of The Islands

R3v4n wrote:

Salt on meat = Woolly Beef
Aussie Diggers used to eat it at war.
Don't forget Pirates.

R3v4n wrote:

rolf we call that "Dead Horse" or "Tomato Sauce" in Aus
Yeah and I think their 'Catsup' is our Ketchup.

Its the whole Jello/Jelly/Jam thing all over again. Can't we go one decade without this shit?

Last edited by Cheez (2006-12-14 15:53:55)

My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
CoconutBlitz
I've had the diarrheas since Easters
+145|6598|California U.S.A

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

great suggestions.  im fricking starving cant wait till i start cooking this sucker
Next time you get some steaks just soak/marinate them overnight in the fridge in a cheap red wine mixed  with some soy sauce just a tablespoon or so, and a  good glop of honey then cook it the next day after it soaked in the meat.

You'll need a towel and a smoke for after....
Brasso
+1,549|6638

R3v4n wrote:

haffeysucks wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Then how bout you get off the damn computer and cook it already?

Don't forget the ketchup.  Oh, classic ketchup, how I love you.
rolf we call that "Dead Horse" or "Tomato Source" in Aus
Hey, they call it catsup in the Philippines.

Last edited by haffeysucks (2006-12-14 15:57:48)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Bahiti
Respect! Give it .. Get it!
+55|6656|Land of =KBK=

Seal 3 wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

Next time you get some steaks just soak/marinate them overnight in the fridge in a cheap red wine mixed  with some soy sauce just a tablespoon or so, and a  good glop of honey then cook it the next day after it soaked in the meat.

That does sound pretty good .. will have to try that sometime.
CoconutBlitz

Bahiti wrote:

Seal 3 wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

That does sound pretty good .. will have to try that sometime.
it is!

The wine does a wierd break down of the meat. on a tender scale it off the chart!

edit: I can almost spell today.... ah well I'll leave in the typos it looks artistic

Last edited by Seal 3 (2006-12-14 15:58:02)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

whats the best way of defrosting this, im hungry.
Go into 2142 and run around in the titan, then throw it on your gpu. Careful, you don't want to burn it though.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
chittydog
less busy
+586|6843|Kubra, Damn it!

Ketchup on steak? Sorry haffy, but I'm on my way to Connecticut now to slap you. Gun, please don't cook that steak on a Foreman grill. Foreman rocks on chicken but makes your steak come out kinda grayish.
Bahiti
+55|6656|Land of =KBK=
Cool!  Nothing worse than tough steak!  Marinating alone will tender it up but the longer you do it the more tender it is.  Just be sure to serve the appropriate side dishes to totally compliment the steaks.  And don't forget the bread LOL
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

Bahiti wrote:

Cool!  Nothing worse than tough steak!  Marinating alone will tender it up but the longer you do it the more tender it is.  Just be sure to serve the appropriate side dishes to totally compliment the steaks.  And don't forget the bread LOL
Or a nice Cab.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6838|USA! USA! USA!
Make a "Hobo Dinner"! 

Thaw by whatever means necessary (like put it on the hood of you neighbor's car as soon as soon they come home)

Get some aluminum foil (usually found easily in a neighbors trash)

Cut up the meat (you might be able to find something sharp in the trash too)

Put the rice in the foil with the cut up beef with some butter or some kind of greasy substance (either off some old chicken or off your neighbor's axle)

Add any other seasoning you found in the trash

Wrap it all up tight and throw it back in the trash can and light it on fire (note: try to hide the fire for as long as possible because the neighbors will call the fire department and police)

When the sirens start getting close, knock the trash can over and get your foil wrap, then run for the hills.

By the time you're far enough away it should have cooled enough to eat, so tear a small hole in one side and slowly dump the contents into your mouth.  Be sure to have your brown paper bag handy to wash down any burnt parts or grit from the "flavoring" you added.
Bahiti
+55|6656|Land of =KBK=

Kmarion wrote:

Bahiti wrote:

Or a nice Cab.
Oh yeah!  That just seals the entire meal.  Other than sharing with someone that can appreciate good cooking.
Brasso
+1,549|6638

chittydog wrote:

Ketchup on steak? Sorry haffy, but I'm on my way to Connecticut now to slap you. Gun, please don't cook that steak on a Foreman grill. Foreman rocks on chicken but makes your steak come out kinda grayish.
Hehe, calm down.  I was joking.  I usually eat steak plain, tbh.  Slap me if needed.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
CoconutBlitz
{/Digs a Porterhouse Steak out of the freezer for tomorrow}   

Glad I'm an Omnivore
RoofusMcDoofus
+15|6583
Best way to thaw stuff: stick it in a bowl.  Run cool water into the bowl for 10 minutes.  The water doesn't need to be flowing fast, just that the idea is to move lots of heat into it, without making it a breeding ground for bacteria.  If you micro, it will cook the outside, and make it like rubber.

Also, if you meat has thin visible lines of fat (we call this marbling, cause it looks like marble), the meat will benefit from slower cooking...  But since most steaks you buy from the mart are very lean, they benefit from very quick cooking.

Okay.. Dry the steak thoroughly.  Next, get some pepper and salt, maybe a little chili powder/paprika and garlic powder/salt or cumin or cayenne pepper powder, and mix what you have together in about equal proportions with a little less salt than the other ingredients.  It's really up to how spicy you want it, and what you have on hand, but overdoing spices will not be a good thing.  On a really good, tender piece of meat, it's okay to use nothing but salt and pepper, but I like at least some garlic/onion powder.  Take that mixture, rub it on your steak so that both sides are nicely covered.

Get a pan (cast iron works great), put a *little* veg or lite olive oil (not extra virgin, it will burn at low temperatures, and its otherwise a waste) on the bottom, and heat that sucker up so that the oil starts to look funky, but if you see little whisps of smoke, take the heat down.  If you have more than 1/16 of an inch of oil, you've got way too much, you really only need a film of oil.  Plop your rubbed steak down in the pan, and leave it alone for a few minutes--do not move it for at least two minutes.  Also, don't cover the steak, that will just trap steam and make this process not work.  What you're doing here is caramelizing the outside of the meat, making lots of flavor in the process... And if it looks dark brown, but not black, you're doing it right.  If it's a thin steak (1/2" or less), it will cook pretty quickly, so if you sear that steak too long, it will be overcooked.  Not good.

I use a pan, because most grills cannot produce enough heat to effectively caramelize the steak.  If you do it right, you'll make as good a steak as most restaurants...  And restaurants usually use a broiler that glows red to produce enough heat to make this happen quickly, then they cook the steak slower on a grill after that.

I like my steaks medium to medium well, so there's a little pink in the middle.  This usually takes 20 minutes to get both sides good and brown on my cast iron skillet.  To me it's the perfect balance between taste and juiciness, without hearing a moo each time you chomp down.

Unlike most people, I don't think marianiting a steak is always the best thing to do.

Last edited by RoofusMcDoofus (2006-12-14 16:11:27)

cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6704|NJ

chittydog wrote:

Hey don't be hateing on the foreman grill. Even though you're right it's a quick as hell way to cook a frozen steak, it's not as good as actually cooking it though. Even though it's frozen I'd cook it on the broiler with about a half a glass of Guiness for marienade.. should cook it up right..
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6838|USA! USA! USA!
I hate you guys.  I'm hungry now and I'm going to McD's to get fat.
Bahiti
+55|6656|Land of =KBK=

RoofusMcDoofus wrote:

Best way to thaw stuff: stick it in a bowl.  Run cool water into the bowl for 10 minutes.  The water doesn't need to be flowing fast, just that the idea is to move lots of heat into it, without making it a breeding ground for bacteria.  If you micro, it will cook the outside, and make it like rubber.

Okay.. Next, get some pepper and salt, maybe a little chili powder/paprika and garlic powder/salt or cumin or cayenne pepper powder, and mix what you have together in about equal proportions with a little less salt than the other ingredients.  It's really up to how spicy you want it, and what you have on hand, but overdoing spices will not be a good thing.  On a really good, tender piece of meat, it's okay to use nothing but salt and pepper, but I like at least some garlic/onion powder.  Take that mixture, rub it on your steak so that both sides are nicely covered.

Get a pan (cast iron works great), put a *little* veg or lite olive oil (not extra virgin, it will burn at low temperatures, and its otherwise a waste) on the bottom, and heat that sucker up so that the oil starts to look funky, but if you see little whisps of smoke, take the heat down.  If you have more than 1/16 of an inch of oil, you've got way too much, you really only need a film of oil.  Plop your rubbed steak down in the pan, and leave it alone for a few minutes--do not move it for at least two minutes.  Also, don't cover the steak, that will just trap steam and make this process not work.  What you're doing here is caramelizing the outside of the meat, making lots of flavor in the process... And if it looks dark brown, but not black, you're doing it right.  If it's a thin steak (1/2" or less), it will cook pretty quickly, so if you sear that steak too long, it will be overcooked.  Not good.

I use a pan, because most grills cannot produce enough heat to effectively caramelize the steak.  If you do it right, you'll make as good a steak as most restaurants...  And restaurants usually use a broiler that glows red to produce enough heat to make this happen quickly, then they cook the steak slower on a grill after that.

I like my steaks medium to medium well, so there's a little pink in the middle.  This usually takes 20 minutes to get both sides good and brown on my cast iron skillet.  To me it's the perfect balance between taste and juiciness, without hearing a moo each time you chomp down.
Hmm another great idea!  Keep em coming LOL Hubby loves steaks!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Hey don't be hateing on the foreman grill.
The Foreman is great for Panini's .
Xbone Stormsurgezz
CoconutBlitz
RoofusMcDoofus wrote:
without hearing a moo each time you chomp down.
Just keep chewing the moos stop after a little while... 
R3v4n
+433|6495|Melbourne

Make Gravy and put it on ur stake!
~ Do you not know that in the service … one must always choose the lesser of two weevils?
RoofusMcDoofus
+15|6583
Also wanted to add this to my writeup:

When you put the steak in the pan, it will stick, and really good at that.  After a couple minutes when it's caramelized, it will come of the pan quite easily.  You won't have to pry it off, and prying it off will damage the steak anyway, take my word.

And I forgot to say that you need to let it rest before it's fully cooked.  It's good to let it sit out on the counter for 5 minutes, maybe ten.  The steak will continue to cook for some time, and the meat will re-absorb moisture that would otherwise pour onto the plate when you cut it.

And for god's sake, don't use those worthless forks, they only cause moisture to come out during cooking.  Use tongs or a spatula to manipulate your meat instead!
R3v4n
+433|6495|Melbourne

Gun, you gota take a nice photo of yourhandy work!
PspRpg-7
-
+961|6706

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

2830 ways to cook a steak
CoconutBlitz

RoofusMcDoofus wrote:

And for god's sake, don't use those worthless forks, they only cause moisture to come out during cooking.  Use tongs or a spatula to manipulate your meat instead!
So true even worse when your grilling outside or BBQing alot of people don't realize this..

[/Beavis Laugh] @ "manipulate your meat"     

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard