stef10
+173|6492|Denmark
Well I am making a science report about quite some things. I know that a lot of people know something about science.
What does it mean when quarks have a spin of 1/2.

Thanks.
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6556|Doncaster, UK
Spin is a statement of a particles symmetry. Spin 1 means that the particle has to rotate through 360 degrees to look the same, like rotating an arrow. Spin 2 means that the particle will look the same once rotated through 180 degrees, like rotating a line with an arrow at both ends. Spin 1/2 is the tricky one to understand, you would have to rotate the particle through 720 degress, ie round twice, before it will look the same.

That's the very basic explanation.
stef10
+173|6492|Denmark
What do you mean by looking the same. Does it just spin 720 and stop, then does again or what. Actally I have not been teached in this, but our teather said it would be good if we good tell about quarks.
pedigreeuk
I'm English, not British!
+113|6781|Rotherham, England
Wikipedia is you're friend but this is probably a bit lighter reading.

Or PM me with a specific Q and i'll do my best to answer it

Last edited by pedigreeuk (2006-12-14 06:43:01)

Towelly
It's A State Of Mind
+399|6601|Your attic
I thank god I won't be doing A-level Physics.

Economics, History, Geography and Maths ftw..
DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6556|Doncaster, UK

stef10 wrote:

What do you mean by looking the same. Does it just spin 720 and stop, then does again or what. Actally I have not been teached in this, but our teather said it would be good if we good tell about quarks.
Imagine an arrow attached to a piece of card so that it can spin about it's centre, a bit like a 'twister' game. Imagine you rotate the arrow around and around. Now, when you rotate it all the way around, from the top to the top, a particle with spin 1/2 would not look the same as it did when it started, you would have to rotate it through another full circle to get it back to how it was originally. You can keep spinning it, but you have to spin it twice round the clock to get it back to it's starting state.

Make any more sense. I don't know what level of quantum physics you are studying but this is relatively advanced and I can't see your teacher expecting anymore than that if he hsn't taught you anything about it yet.

Towelly wrote:

I thank god I won't be doing A-level Physics.

Economics, History, Geography and Maths ftw..
Sad that the only thing my degree in physics comes in for in RL is enllightening kids on the 'net

Last edited by DoctorFruitloop (2006-12-14 06:49:08)

AchangelTyreal
360 owns my soul
+31|6519|Behind You
That just blew my fucking mind.  Something has to be turned all the way around twice before it looks the same... I just blew a synapse.
stef10
+173|6492|Denmark
Well I am still in primary school. I actually think, that I understand it. +1
pedigreeuk
I'm English, not British!
+113|6781|Rotherham, England
Quarks in primary school!!! Christ, you'll be onto nuclear fission by 2nd year of comp
stef10
+173|6492|Denmark
Yep our teacher is very good, and sometimes likes pushing us.
I also got him at math. He rocks there too.

Last edited by stef10 (2006-12-14 07:01:19)

heggs
Spamalamadingdong
+581|6398|New York
like dr. fruitloop said, it deals with symmetry and rotation. think of it this way: you've got the moon around the earth. it currently rotates 1 revolution per rotation (i think, because we never see the dark side). now, if you change the revolution to 1/2 revolution per rotation, it will effectively take one point two rotations to get to it's starting position. essentially that point will be on the back side at one rotation, and back to it's starting location on rotation 2.
Remember Me As A Time Of Day
Towelly
It's A State Of Mind
+399|6601|Your attic

stef10 wrote:

Well I am still in primary school. I actually think, that I understand it. +1
Then:

1) I commend you for being able to type to a decent standard
2) I congratulate you on your future Nobel Prize (while I stare longingly at The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel [Yes that is it's full name])
stef10
+173|6492|Denmark
I am not going after that prize. I am planning to become an engineer.
Towelly
It's A State Of Mind
+399|6601|Your attic

stef10 wrote:

I am not going after that prize. I am planning to become an engineer.
How old are you anyway?

I only ask because if you are as young as everyone is presuming I will be sending any future children of mine to your school.

Last edited by Towelly (2006-12-14 07:15:50)

stef10
+173|6492|Denmark
Well I am 16. In Denmark we first go to highschool when we are 16-17 years old. Next year I am going to attend HTX which is the highschool, that focus on math, science and biology. So it is not amazing in any way.

Last edited by stef10 (2006-12-14 07:20:46)

DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6556|Doncaster, UK
Aah, Primary School to us is ages 5-11, what you call Primary School, we call Secondary.
stef10
+173|6492|Denmark
OMG. DAMN. Man I am sorry. I could not understand why you thought it was impressive. I am sorry. Tomorrom I will give you karma as an apology. I am embarrassed. But when did you guys learn about quarks.

Last edited by stef10 (2006-12-14 07:35:13)

DoctorFruitloop
Level 13 Wrongdoer
+515|6556|Doncaster, UK

stef10 wrote:

OMG. DAMN. Man I am sorry. I could not understand why you thought it was impressive. I am sorry. Tomorrom I will give you karma as an apology. I am embarrassed. But when did you guys learn about quarks.
No need for apologies, that's cool.

I learned about sub-atomic particles when I was about your age but just through personal interest, not school. Was a lot longer before I actually studied them at school. I'd say you're ahead of the curve.
stef10
+173|6492|Denmark
Science is really cool. But sadly now I am making a Danish essay for tomorrow. This I hate.

Last edited by stef10 (2006-12-14 07:44:52)

Use0fWeapons
Get repairs here
+60|6543|Doncaster - UK
wow, was this a proper and friendly thread. 
The power of the BF2s community is quite impressive.
Kudos to all.

I thought the answer was going to be similar to electrons and their direction of spin, but now i am off to read up on wiki as i obviously don't know enough about it.  Thanks for giving me something to do that might actually look like work if the boss comes in. 

doc, you do surprise me sometimes, what the hell are you doing languishing here at this job.  ( we work for the same company BTW)
I am a slacker, so no wonder i have ended up here using NOTHING of my degree, other than to cry at the stupidity of my managers every day.  (oh good god i need a new job!)

To stef10.
Engineering, nice.  What specifically?
As your on about maths and physics guess civil / mechanical
well good luck. 
if you have the type of mind set where you can be arsed to ask and look up something you don't know, you will do just fine.

Last edited by Use0fWeapons (2006-12-14 07:53:56)

stef10
+173|6492|Denmark
Yep, civil and construction.

Cannot wait to get this report finished. Think it will be on 10 pages. We also have to explain everything about waves, and elecktron jumps and a lot more.

Last edited by stef10 (2006-12-14 08:01:17)

stef10
+173|6492|Denmark
What is the reason it performs spins. Is it a way of making the positiv powers it has or what. Just a short explanation and you will get some new karma.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard