sET_aIM_zERO
+0|6365
hey all. 1st post
i've got a Dell dimension 4600, MoBO has 8x AGP (with on-board graphics.)
i just bought a Connect3d ATI x850 vivo G-card (the one with the big fan.)
Well, it doesn't work--i get black screen with a yellow monitor light.
i've called dell and Connect3d to solve this hardware issue--no solution.
i've updated my chipset driver and BIOS--no solution.
i've uninstalled the old drivers, made proper setting adjustments in BIOS, and can't Completely disable on-board video--only set to "AGP" or "Auto."
i've got an old ATI 9550 AGP that works, so the AGP slot is OK.
i upgraded my powersupply to meet specs.

My question:
WHAT THE HECK AM I MISSING/WHY WON'T THIS WORK? (assuming the card will work with the motherboard.)

Thank You in advance.

Last edited by sET_aIM_zERO (2006-12-01 10:53:09)

Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6679
Did you disable you onboard graphics?  It will conflict.
sET_aIM_zERO
+0|6365
Well...as stated; I can't completely disable on-board graphics. I can only choose in BIOS between AGP and AUTO when I have my old card in there. When I put the new card in it won't post and I can't enter BIOS set-up--I get a blank screen with yellow monitor light.

I forgot to mention that I've tested it on another monitor and same thing=Blank screen with yellow monitor light.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6661
You've made two major mistakes already:
  • You bought a Dell
  • You bought an x850

Dells have crappy power supplies that are usually expensive to upgrade as only ones made especially for Dells will work.
The x850 isn't a bad card by all means, but it has some majorly outdated components, such as the shader model, which will possibly make it very incompatible with future games that cannot support it. (which is exactly what happened to the nVidia 5*** series).

Now, as for a solution:

As I said before, Dell computers have very bad power supplies. It's rather possible that yours cannot support your video card, which is a lot more demanding than a 9550. To be sure of this, but the x850 in a friend's PC (preferrably one with a proper power supply or a similair video card that works)
Another possibility is that you haven't connected your x850 up to its extra power (properly). I'm not entirely sure if your video card has this, but most cards from that time and newer require extra power directly from the PSU. There'll be a connection for this on the video card itself and this will almost certainly be documented in the manual. However, make sure that the wire you've connected it up to is also connected to other components, or try a different wire.

Good luck.
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
02fxnmaurer
+75|6490|Birmingham UK
lol stick with agp 9550 im running it, what quality!!

Last edited by 02fxnmaurer (2006-12-01 11:38:21)

BlokieBF2
+11|6659
Stupid question but .....

you do have the monitor plugged into the new card and not the old one
sET_aIM_zERO
+0|6365
well guys no luck after 2 weeks of off-and-on trying.
Thx for the replies tho. I really did try everything.
Scrap this post please.
Archer
rapes face
+161|6431|Canuckistan
Haha, good luck on playing BF2 with that X850.

Prepare to see blue screens.

Lots of them.

They won't have error reports or text.
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6702|Mountains of West Virginia

SargeV1.4 wrote:

You've made two major mistakes already:

Dells have crappy power supplies that are usually expensive to upgrade as only ones made especially for Dells will work.
That was true with older p3 dells. However all parts (excluding the pins for the start up switch) are normal now. I have replaced plenty of Dells PSU with a standard ATX PSU and all worked fine.

Also, a x850 is quite an improvement over the 9550.

I have 2 remarks

A. What brand and wattage is the new PSU?
B. have you considered the card is DOA and needs to be RMAed?
sET_aIM_zERO
+0|6365
OK--still open.

Power supply is XION 500W and meets all the voltage requirements for the card.
AND I did RMA the card. It came to me with dioeds floating around in the bag so I sent it back and got a "new" one.

All cords were connected correctly (yes, even the monitor cable) and i tried multiple combinations to power the card.

The card had power--the fan was working. I just couldn't get a POST or green light on my monitor, and I did try another monitor.
p3lvicthrust
Banned
+16|6409
Tech support at Dell didn't help but those India guys can fix everything lol

When you use your old card go into the BIOS and switch to AGP, turn the computer off install the new one and then boot? Im not really sure what to do Im just throwing anything out lol

lol @ Sarge for not reading the initial post, how he upgraded his PSU to meet requirements

Last edited by p3lvicthrust (2006-12-14 06:12:24)

sET_aIM_zERO
+0|6365
I tried that too--as with all things. BIOS was set to AGP as per the Tech support and install directions.

I forgot to mention that DELLs have a series of lights labeled ABCD that light up either green or yellow according to various hardware conflicts--works pretty good for diagnosing POST and other hardware conflict probs--but, the 'code' the system gave me indicated a hardware problem=bad card AND a DELL motherboard that's incompatible (old.)

REALLY guys--It's a case of trying to plug something new (AND the card is DOA for the 2nd time) into and old system that simply doesn't support it, or ever will.

I've moved on.

THANKS TO ALL AND EVERYONE FOR THE TECH SUPPORT.
ssonrats
+221|6653
Try setting them to 4x in the bios, and make sure the apreture size is 256mb.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard