the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
+83|6703|Vancouver BC Canada
I was messing around with the fans on my system yesterday trying to cut out some of the noise, when I discovered the seeming source of a strange mid/high pitched noise thats been puzzeling me for some time. It seems to be comming from the general area of the processor???? Its definatly not the fans, I quickly ruled that one out. Its not the HDDs, so its either the transformer on the mobo or the processor. Strange part is it only happens sometimes...I did a HDD tach and it squeeled constantly, then stopped when it was complete. I was just using it for a slideshow and it happened again.

The noise is definatly bareable, but its just weird. Nothing should be vibrating around there....
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6580|USA
although you said it defineatly wasnt the fans, i'd guess its the proccessors fan seeing as it only occurs from time to time. don't take my word on it though, i'm no expert.
-=raska=-
Canada's French Frog
+123|6635|Quebec city, Canada
I know this is not recommended, but unplug the fan of your cpu before boot and see if there is still the noise. But make sure not to let the fan off too much time. Shut down your pc as quick as you know if it was the fan's fault or not, and replug it.

If its not the fan, its maybe the power supply, because id be surprised that the noise come from a transformer or the cpu itself.

edit : I read again your post, and it seems you already ruled it out... I think its from the psu...

Last edited by -=raska=- (2006-11-20 18:30:42)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6781|PNW

If you unplug your CPU's fan and it still buzzes, consider the possibility that it could be coming from your PSU.

the_outsider38 wrote:

I was messing around with the fans on my system yesterday trying to cut out some of the noise, when I discovered the seeming source of a strange mid/high pitched noise thats been puzzeling me for some time. It seems to be comming from the general area of the processor???? Its definatly not the fans, I quickly ruled that one out. Its not the HDDs, so its either the transformer on the mobo or the processor. Strange part is it only happens sometimes...I did a HDD tach and it squeeled constantly, then stopped when it was complete. I was just using it for a slideshow and it happened again.

The noise is definatly bareable, but its just weird. Nothing should be vibrating around there....
WarriorDave
+10|6379|Louisville, Ky
Your POWER SUPPLY is going bad.
It squealed constantly through the HD Tach most likely because the system under strain = more power drawn from the power supply. You should turn off the computer, and not use it until you get a new power supply. You can cause serious damage to your hardware if you do not replace the bad PSU!!!
montypythizzle
+21|6612

WarriorDave wrote:

Your POWER SUPPLY is going bad.
It squealed constantly through the HD Tach most likely because the system under strain = more power drawn from the power supply. You should turn off the computer, and not use it until you get a new power supply. You can cause serious damage to your hardware if you do not replace the bad PSU!!!
could be

but you can plug in cpu fan while its running.....
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
I dunno, I had probems with the generic PSU that came with my original case. Blew that one up, no harm to the system. My current is an Enermax 535W SLI PSU, it should be fine for the system, I think. I guess it kinda got bigger then when I originally ordered it, extra drives and all

ASUS A8n-SLI Deluxe
AMD FX-53 @ 2.7Ghz
Thermalright XP-120 Heatsink
2x EVGA 7800GT COs
2x Corsair Value Select 1Gb PC3200 DDR400 Ram
2x Seagate Barracuda 320Gb 16Mb 7200RPM SATA2 HDDs (Primaries, OS/Program Files)
2x Maxtor Diamondmax 160Gb 16Mb 7200RPM  IDE HDDs (Secondaries, Long term/Low useage)
Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Extreme Music
LiteOn DVD-RW Drive
LiteOn Combo DVD/CDRW Drive
Tochiba 3.5" Floppy
Thermaltake Armor
3x 120mm Fans
2x 80mm Fans
250mm Fan
Thats pretty much my system, minus any duct tape/twist ties.

And yes, I unplugged the CPU fan to check it, it was actually running fine w/o the fan at idle, It stays below 60C during the Prime95 torture test, but that CPU sure can suck up power, 1.6V.
ssonrats
+221|6654
What kind of noise is it? Could be something simple like mobo not secured properly or case door not closed shut full.

There's a good chance it's none of the above but no one else has ruled out the obvious.
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
Its like a quiet mid/high pitched scraping noise, I can make it happen when I change slides in a slide show, lasts only a couple miliseconds after I hit next slide.

it seems to be directly related to certain types of processor useage.

It plays movies/games/audio fine. It makes noise changing slides/running HD Tach/Prime95
spikes14
+25|6406
i know how to fix it, its quite technical so i advise you to take some notes!

first of all take the caseing off so you can see the processor,then go to your stash of tools and choose a heavy item of your choice, preferably a hammer. Go back to you PC and look at the processor, hit it quite hard and you'll find the noise has stopped.

Hope this has helped! from spikes14
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
Scare it into submission. lol.

That was weak, but ill give you a +1 for effort

Oh, and when I said transformer, I mean the one for the CPU, located just to the left of the socket on the main board, It's definatly not comming from the PSU.

Can't even get a good pic of it, CPU heatsink is too big.

Last edited by the_outsider38 (2006-11-21 04:52:24)

WarriorDave
+10|6379|Louisville, Ky

spikes14 wrote:

i know how to fix it, its quite technical so i advise you to take some notes!

first of all take the casing off so you can see the processor,then go to your stash of tools and choose a heavy item of your choice, preferably a hammer. Go back to you PC and look at the processor, hit it quite hard and you'll find the noise has stopped.

Hope this has helped! from spikes14
Ahahahaha!

Honestly, sounds like the power supply. You've got close to  the same setup as one of my machines, minus two hard drives, and I use a 620 watt power supply. I'm telling you man, it's the power supply. If you dare open it up, I can tell you you'll find the culprit.
I repair PCs on the side, one friend of mine brought a computer with the same type of noise, coming from near the processor. After taking everything out of the computer except the processor, motherboard, and power supply, still heard the noise. I took the power supply out of the computer, and fed the cables through the hole in the back of the case, and closed the case. noise from power supply. He said the noise started just every so often, then became more frequent. When I opened the power supply, I found several 'burnt' pieces on the PCB. I found him a PSU that was within his price range and he hasn't had a problem since.

If it continues to persist while the computer is under heavy load, you may consider a power supply in the near future. If it turns out to be just a fan, good! A $10 replacement instead of a $90+ replacement!
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
I'll look into it further. I really wasn't planning on buying a new PSU, but I suppose they are cheap, with quality ones going for around $100.

Its jsut that its not even warm, the air coming out is room temp, even after being loaded for an hour of prime95.

I may just run it untill this one goes, it has all the over amp/current protections. Then maybe get a 1Kw PSU to be ready for the next system.

I'm actually probably taxing the PSU, considering they want you to have a minimum of 450W for a single 7800GT CO for a typical system, definatly not the number of HDDs and fans im running.

Thx for the info.

Last edited by the_outsider38 (2006-11-21 05:16:01)

WarriorDave
+10|6379|Louisville, Ky

the_outsider38 wrote:

I'm actually probably taxing the PSU, considering they want you to have a minimum of 450W for a single 7800GT CO for a typical system, definitely not the number of HDDs and fans I'm running.

Thx for the info.
I think you stumbled onto your answer! You should go for a 600-700watt PSU unless you're going to buy a pair of 8800GTX cards. Power supplies only run around 80% efficiency, and if you're taxing your PSU... Would you run a car at red line RPMs for days on end? I think not!!
And NP!
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
Ok, finnaly got around to buying a power supply today. System shut down unexpectadly on me for the last time (Overclocking is not nice to a small power supply).

Got me an OCZ 700W GameXStream.

But the system still makes the squealing noise from the CPU area!!!!
Oh well, atleast I can OC it and have it stable, Plus all the LEDs look brighter.
cospengle
+140|6496|Armidale, NSW, Australia
Well, it's not quite the same thing, but my GF's brother-in-law is a mechanic. He reckons that if you have a strange noise in your car that's worrying you, the best thing to do is turn up the stereo.

I use head phones when I'm on my PC so I can't hear shit. 
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
Yep, that exactly what I do
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6502|N. Ireland
Honestly, the noise could be coming from anything. On occasions, my Raptor makes humming noises.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6726|Riva, MD
You should make sure the fan is plugged in and fastened to the socket securely.
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6680
NB Fan.

PSU

Start unpluging things.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard