spud924
+12|6463|The Sticks, WA, USA
I just got this HP computer that i had to reinstall xp on using a disk that didnt come with the computer. Now it wants me to activate but when i enter the cd key that is on the side of the PC it wont take it so any ideas how i solve this?

Last edited by spud924 (2006-12-13 18:07:22)

LawJik
The Skeptical Realist
+48|6541|Amherst, MA
Call HP, complain.

Big compains like that may start out saying they cant help you, but always bend if you continue with "blah blah blah i am a  paying customer", "i wont accept this", "give me someone above you who can help me", etc.

Also make sure the XP disc you are using and the key on the side of your case are the same versions, (Pro/Home/Corporate).

Last edited by LawJik (2006-12-13 18:24:51)

spud924
oh sorry i didnt specify but its not new.. my friend gave it to me
it has pretty old specs

Last edited by spud924 (2006-12-13 18:24:48)

Leprechaun56
Proud Infantry Whore
+31|6594|U.S.A
Call the number windows gives you. just tell them you had to reformat, and they will give you a new number.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6611|132 and Bush

spud924 wrote:

I just got this HP computer that i had to reinstall xp on using a disk that didnt come with the computer. Now it wants me to activate but when i enter the cd key that is on the side of the PC it wont take it so any ideas how i solve this?
Call MS, takes less than 10 mins to activate over phone.. very easy.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
spud924
even if im not using the right disk?
[TUF]Whiskey_Oktober
mmmm...Toasty!
+91|6732|Oregon
that means the cd is a different version then the code is for. for instance: a xp pro xp2 cd does not work with a xp sp1 key. im sure theres an easy fix if you can get MS on the phone.
adv3rsary
+28|6726
as long as the version of windows you are using is the exact same version as what came with the computer (that belongs to that key) it should work.. for example if the sticker says Windows Xp Home edition Sp2 and you are using a disc that is Windows xp home Sp1, it won't work... call up microsoft and they ll activate it on the phone

if all else fails, you can order a set of original discs from HP for about $30-50

also unless you have messed with the D partition, you can tap F10 on startup and it ll reinstall XP from the D partition. only reason you d need discs on an HP is if your hd fails or you mess up the D partition

on a side note, i am a computer tech, and i speak from experience when i say HP sucks... hard... and in the future stay away from it at all cost... pray to god u ll never have to replace the mobo on it... you don't want to know the pain of tatooing the new motherboard to accept the discs

Last edited by adv3rsary (2006-12-13 23:35:36)

ddenholm67
DanForth Teh Pwnzer
+53|6566|Scotland
I had this problem, and I tried phoning MS but they put me through a 15 minute key entering process via phone. It was lengthy, and you cannot get one letter/number wrong or you start again!

After that, they said that my key wasn`t going to work so they would put me through to a person, which they did, but they hung up after they picked up the phone

I tried the code again about 4 days away from activation, and it worked? Dont no how it happend.
Snowmanimal
Not so unique forum title
+30|6553|My head
OEM ftw

microsoft support = fail

Last edited by Snowmanimal (2006-12-13 23:43:54)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6577|NYC / Hamburg

easiest is to call ms and tell them you reformated. takes only 10 min or so and is relatively trouble free (i do it every month or so for each new build/reformat, maybe i should have bought more than 1 copy of xp home upgrade)
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

The idea of restricting home license to single systems is absolutely ludicrous. It makes me yearn for the glory days of Windows 3.11 (you know, when hard drives were big enough to do stuff with, but the software didn't send you through endless legal loops).
misconfiguration
GURU
+86|6406|Indianapolis, IN
Yea, software licenses = LAME!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard