Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6756

MadKatter wrote:

1MaNArmY wrote:

superfly_cox wrote:

do you guys realize that vehicle sonar cancels out the UAV!?!?!?  consider the utility of UAV versus the utility of a device that points out vehicles (which aren't all that hard to notice in the first place).  don't ever put it on the titan or on gibralter (or any city maps for that matter) because UAV is more important.
So what if there is no UAV in your area?  It has it's uses when the other option would be to have no sonar detection at.  I generally place it on the gunship, tank or apc and rarely a silo.
a PDS anywhere on the map cancels the UAV, no matter the location, for as long as the PDS is up.
Bullshit. I've seen them working simultaenously. The only problem is that you dont always know which one is which.
RoofusMcDoofus
+15|6571
Huh, didn't know that it cancels out the commander UAV for infantry.  Iv'e seen them working simultaneously.  Are you guys sure this is the case, and that you're simply not looking at the right place on the map?  I think we need to verify that this is true before you go spreading FUD.

Anway, it is a GREAT unlock, if you use it right.   I use it all the time, and it's very effective to me in these ways:

Putting it on the gunship helps in dogfights and helps in spotting enemy armor.

Putting it on whatever armor I'm cruising around in:
It helps me detect people in static turrets, thereby avoiding my teammates or myself getting killed by railguns, and helps me protect our team's air assets by identifying occupied AA turrets.  It helps me determine the orientation of hostile enemy vehicles behind buildings or land features, making it easier for me to hit their weak spots, and avoid having mine hit at the same time.  It detects infantry podding into my area, and it will identify podding snipers that are trying to land on/near my armor so they can RDX me.  And Best Of All: It helps me detect jackasses trying to ram me with the air transport because I pissed them off by 0wning their stupid ass with my mad tank skillz0rz.  I can't count the number of jerks that have tried to ram me, only to meet one of my tank rounds head on because of this little baby.  It's a life saver in more ways than one.

Infantry fighting: it helps me determine the orientation of hostile armor, so I don't even have to see a tank/apc/walker to know that I can shoot it in the ass with my Pilum, and it helps keep me alive when I need to avoid enemy armor.

And the best thing about it is that I don't have to wait for a frigging commander to place it.

So, I'm still going to use it, if somewhat more judiciously until it's proven that this is a problem or not.  Even now, it's not the worst unlock.  I mean, the smoke grenades aren't very effective except for a few situations (and even then they're only a little helpful), the AR shotgun isn't something to write home about, the floating machine gun squad leader unlock is next to useless, and the Heavy Machine gun is worse than the stock ones in most respects.  The PDS is very helpful in many ways, and they'll probably fix this ONE problem in 1.10.  Maybe they will even make it better, by identifying PDS beacons on the minimap by making the pulse color something other than white, and placing detected units on the NetBat.  That's the only thing they can do to make a good unlock better, IMHO.

Last edited by RoofusMcDoofus (2006-12-10 14:08:30)

a_fraudulent_miracle
+7|6712|MoVal, Southern California
The PDS-1 has been very useful for me, especially when i place them on a silo closest to the enemy base in Titan mode. Like RoofusMcDoofus said, it comes in handy when the pds-1 shows you the orientation of the tank, so you can plan ahead and flank the enemy to shoot it in a more vulnerable position (ironic, the ass is always vulnerable, lol). If you do happen to come across an enemy one, you get a point for destroying it... and there is a glitch when you place your own pds1, then the enemy caps the silo and upon your return, your pds1 looks like it is an enemy's and you get a point by destroying your own pds1! Kinda weird, but it has happened to me on a couple of occasions.

As of late, my engineer loadout is pilum + defuser + motion mines; i don't feel like using the pds anymore, but i know it'll come in handy sometime.
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6706|Sweden

Talon wrote:

MadKatter wrote:

1MaNArmY wrote:

So what if there is no UAV in your area?  It has it's uses when the other option would be to have no sonar detection at.  I generally place it on the gunship, tank or apc and rarely a silo.
a PDS anywhere on the map cancels the UAV, no matter the location, for as long as the PDS is up.
Bullshit. I've seen them working simultaenously. The only problem is that you dont always know which one is which.
I guess you´re very special then my friend cause i know they ain´t working very well together
Bevo
Nah
+718|6517|Austin, Texas

Talon wrote:

MadKatter wrote:

1MaNArmY wrote:

Bullshit. I've seen them working simultaneously. The only problem is that you dont always know which one is which.
Wrong-o, Bud! I've put a UAV over a silo, and then seen a PDS put at a different silo. All enemies on UAV simultaneously disappeared.
alien-DSW-Gen
Hates snipers and says the "F" word a lot
+72|6670|Houston, Texas
I put it on the very back end of the titan (where you jump off when you assault and it blows up) so i can see when people have podded on. works just fine, and uav will still work inside the titan once you are far enough in so the map zooms in.

least it does for me, and if the rest of the team cant see the uav, f 'em
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6777

The bottom line is that UAV is more important than vehicle sonar.  I'll admit that I'm not sure if the vehicle sonar has unlimited range in blocking out the UAV (like on big maps) but what I am certain is that on city maps its a killer.  Basically you are crippling your team just so that you can detect vehicles which aren't too hard to detect in the first place.  Besides, most people these days spot vehicles which they can't destroy.

I'm not saying that the vehicle sonar is useless because it can actually be okay when you place it on your vehicle.  However, the fact that it cancels out your UAV makes it an almost negative unlock because it hurts your team more than it helps it.  Think about it...is the individual benefit to your gunship, walker or tank worth taking out your team's UAV?  Anybody with commander experiance will answer no because that is by far your best commander asset and most helpful for your team.

Can anybody verify if using the vehicle sonar on a large map cancels out the UAV for the entire map or is it range dependent?

Last edited by superfly_cox (2006-12-10 20:53:08)

Talon
Stop reading this and look at my post
+341|6756

MadKatter wrote:

Wrong-o, Bud! I've put a UAV over a silo, and then seen a PDS put at a different silo. All enemies on UAV simultaneously disappeared.
Are you sure thats not just for commanders?

The bottom line is that UAV is more important than vehicle sonar.  I'll admit that I'm not sure if the vehicle sonar has unlimited range in blocking out the UAV (like on big maps) but what I am certain is that on city maps its a killer.  Basically you are crippling your team
And are you saying your whole team can't use the UAV if one PDS is out??
strikeman67
+5|6609
I have been commanding on Belgrade when Engineers have deployed the Eng UAV.  It made my UAV only see vehicles.  I would ask the Engineers to pick it up or have one of my team destroy the stupid thing.  On the server I play, it is a rule not to deploy the Eng UAV.  I hope that EA\Dice will fix this feature in BF2142 in the next patch.

Someone mentioned that EMP mines are useless.  I disagree, team them up with the roller miners and what a combo.  No FAV will get past that.
theDude5B
Cool member
+804|6746

NooBesT[FiN] wrote:

... so on city maps it's pure shit ...
haha, you are sounding Scottish more and more NooBesT!!

On Topic:

They need to change the color of the Sonar things so that you are not distracted when it is activated. Many times I think that it is UAV that has been activated, so because I do not see any red dots, I am less aware of what is going on. But then I realize that it is not the UAV but some stupid sonar device, and then I get killed.

If it was a different color, then people would be able to distinguish easier between them.
Entertayner
+826|6567

awww but i like placing it then switching teams and fucking up their UAV
madmurre
I suspect something is amiss
+117|6706|Sweden

theDude5B wrote:

NooBesT[FiN] wrote:

... so on city maps it's pure shit ...
haha, you are sounding Scottish more and more NooBesT!!

On Topic:

They need to change the color of the Sonar things so that you are not distracted when it is activated. Many times I think that it is UAV that has been activated, so because I do not see any red dots, I am less aware of what is going on. But then I realize that it is not the UAV but some stupid sonar device, and then I get killed.

If it was a different color, then people would be able to distinguish easier between them.
exactly
Bevo
Nah
+718|6517|Austin, Texas

Talon wrote:

MadKatter wrote:

Are you sure thats not just for commanders?
Yes, it's happened while a squaddie too countless times.
[RU]Grmbl
+9|6490|Russia
Never seen it interfering. Maybe you've thought that this is UAV on mini-map while it was a sonar, not a UAV.
Agree about need of different color for the thing.

It did save my ass a couple of times, while sitting in Rorsch, when tank was coming uphill and it was too much noise to get the direction. Also it is great to put it underneath (so it won't get destroyed by gunfire, etc.) the tank you're driving.
Rickover
+1|6358
It's very useful, actually, even if it interferes with UAV. Use it to get a quick glimpse of where the armor is in your area, then get into position with your pilum. Peeking your head out of cover to get eyes on an enemy tank is very risky. Just remember that you can pick up the PDS by pressing G.

Given that, it really shouldn't effect UAV, and if it did, only for you and your squad.
CackNBallz
+45|6739|Toronto, Canada
It affects everyone on your team.  I just hate it when someone puts the PDS-1 on city maps like Gibraltar.  There are very few FAVs and only one walker that you have to worry about.  Use your slot for something more useful like the Killer Bowling Balls (Killer Bowling Ballz FTW!) and the defuser or EMP mines.
Rickover
+1|6358
I have to agree with you there. Equip emp or the defuser on city maps (depending if you are attacking or defending). If you use the PDS, use it quickly and then pick it up.

You should ALWAYS have your Ballz.
Rumfuddle
+14|6714
I never knew about this bug but it sure explains those times when I tromp into an area the uav says is clear but there's a whole damn squad sitting in front of me.
Buzerk1
+44|6832
You mean there is commander actually commanding? That's a first.

PDS-1... great unlock to go "tank" hunting. Also give you eyes in the back of your head.... so yeah I can see in front of me, but if someone sneak from the sides or the back I'll know it.

If such bug really exist, I never experienced it.

PDS-1 is made to be put on a moving vehicule, I can understand some people may get upset if this is sticked to a wall.
JimmyBotswana
+82|6582|Montreal
I never use it on the vehicles on small infantry maps like Gibraltar, Cerbere, Belgrade or Berlin where UAV is very important. But on bigger maps like Sidi, Shuhia or Suez where UAV is less important, I will slap it on the gunship before I get in. Helps detect vehicles below me and gunships on my tail.
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6777

Fact: PSD does interfere with UAV, essentially canceling it out.  I don't know the range though.

If you drop it then pick it up that is fine.
If you put it on your gunship then ok.

Otherwise don't use it.  It may help you out but it will hurt the team.  UAV>Vehicle Sonar.

EA should fix this, Nuff Said.
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6465

NooBesT[FiN] wrote:

It blocks UAV at it's own detection area, so on city maps it's pure shit, but in larger maps it has some use for gunship pilots.
QFT my friend...

Maybe I need to BOLD my meaning.

Last edited by NooBesT[FiN] (2006-12-12 14:50:36)

https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
Pfc. Leemus
Ownerer via the strategic use of bullets
+20|6604|N.S.W, Australia

Talon wrote:

MadKatter wrote:

1MaNArmY wrote:

Actually the normal UAV works a little. It will only track vehicles not infantry.

And when i have had th few times  where i dont really care aboutt he UAV. (nub or no commander) this can be very very useful.

But this really needs to be fixed. Along with the fact that it only works on around 50% of the places you place it.

Last edited by Pfc. Leemus (2006-12-13 00:29:00)

Pernicious544
Zee Tank Skank
+80|6696|MoVal So-Cal
Uh, I find that to be one of the mkost useful unlocks I have. If im attacking a flag I plop the sucker down in case a vehical gets close and I put it on the side of my tank so I can catch any peeps coming up behind me. Its extreemly useful, just more people complaining becuse their unlocks dont make pretty explosions.
straz_mataz
Banned
+86|6531|Edmonton Alberta
STOP USING THIS FUCKING THING PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!//////

unless your in a gunship on titan mode or if u have an afk commander

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard