Poll

In the scenarios described below, is the utility worth it?

Yes60%60% - 21
No40%40% - 14
Total: 35
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6404|The Gem Saloon
i still think the time limit is to low.
who has those choppers? how many are there? how long would it take for those choppers to get into position in the first place?
too many factors that all cant be covered.
IRONCHEF
+385|6501|Northern California
I voted NO for both, in policy.  In reality, yes, it's better that one man die (or apply things less than death) to save millions.  But also, in reality, this man would die and NOT give information even if tortured.  You don't create such a scenario and not train to withhold information.  For this cause, I say NO as a policy.  However, regardless of policy, those in charge would take matter in their own hands and torture or kill this man.

And before you ask (since this was a classroom environment related question), I can't put a number on how many lives would be worth killing one person to save them.  But that would be a great poll to take..to see what a human life is worth.  I suspect many here would put 1:1 down.

edit: please note that this in NO WAY alters my views on death penalty killing..which is still wrong.

Last edited by IRONCHEF (2006-12-08 09:38:45)

Ki][mE
OMG H4XOR!
+51|6573|I'm a Viking....Norway
Hard question....!

yes. torture that girl.. to save ONE MILLION PEOPLE  that is a small price to pay.,......

Last edited by Ki][mE (2006-12-08 09:48:41)

UON
Junglist Massive
+223|6663
C.  3 hours later, having given the order to torture and rape the 'terrorists' 7 year old daughter, it turns out someone phoned in the infomation due to a personal feud (edit: and the 'terrorist' had a mental illness which compelled him to confess to planting the bomb when pressured).  You decide to make the problem disappear, and arrange a cover story that the 'terrorist' murdered his daughter and killed himself before anyone could stop him.  You then garotte the child with a belt and hang the man from a ceiling vent with the same belt, then call in the press.  You have safely covered up the 'mishap' and can use the same technique again without worrying about public outcry or going to prison, thus ensuring that you might save the day next time someone tells you there is a nuclear device or small conventional bomb planted somewhere.

Are you justified?

Last edited by UON (2006-12-08 12:22:50)

Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6732|Eastern PA
Any torturing done would be for a "feel good" factor anyway. Any information obtained in either scenario would have to be verified which takes longer than 2 hours.

In either case you would have to essentially trust that a terrorist is going to be honest with you...grim prospects at best.
Commie Killer
+192|6397

Parker wrote:

i would have assumed that had already been done.......but then again the first thing that will go in america if we get attacked will be the freedom to travel. thats what really freaks me out.
one of these crazy fucks hears about an ebola outbreak in fuckin zaire or some back woods country, and goes and somehow gets ahold of the ebola virus............
worst case, they are smart and breed that virus until they have enough. then they fake a can of shaving cream, into say the detroit auto show that happens once a year......people from all over the world go to see those cars. within a week of exposure 70% of the fuckin planet would be pissin and shittin blood. and with a virus that has a 90% mortality rate, that would be ALOT of dead bodies to deal with.

god im rambling. im sorry, no more paranoia for me.
I think someone just read "Executive Orders" by Tom Clancy...hehe.
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6656
While torturing him I would make it clear that if he does not provide the correct information, he would be cryogenically frozen and hidden away somewhere so he couldn't die and get his 72 virgins. After he gives up the information, I'd freeze him anyway.

Last edited by Fancy_Pollux (2006-12-08 18:45:50)

Parker
isteal

Commie Killer wrote:

Parker wrote:

i would have assumed that had already been done.......but then again the first thing that will go in america if we get attacked will be the freedom to travel. thats what really freaks me out.
one of these crazy fucks hears about an ebola outbreak in fuckin zaire or some back woods country, and goes and somehow gets ahold of the ebola virus............
worst case, they are smart and breed that virus until they have enough. then they fake a can of shaving cream, into say the detroit auto show that happens once a year......people from all over the world go to see those cars. within a week of exposure 70% of the fuckin planet would be pissin and shittin blood. and with a virus that has a 90% mortality rate, that would be ALOT of dead bodies to deal with.

I think someone just read "Executive Orders" by Tom Clancy...hehe.
i havent read it for a couple of years. that scenario has always stayed with me, because its the only one i think could actually fuck us up. its not like some country would actually have the balls to invade us. short of a nuke this country could not be controlled by a military, one of the great things about all of us owning firearms. and if anyone dropped a nuke we all know that it would just be a nuke shooting contest until probably the majority of the planet was glowing green. there just wouldnt be any way to take us. i know people will probably say china, but even with their numbers they wouldnt be able to take this country.
jonsimon
+224|6505
OP is silly, torture doesn't work, therefore, damned if you do damned if you don't.

Evac, only option.
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6657|Peoria

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

While torturing him I would make it clear that if he does not provide the correct information, he would be cryogenically frozen and hidden away somewhere so he couldn't die and get his 72 virgins. After he gives up the information, I'd freeze him anyway.
LOL, your such a prick Fancy, thats why I love you (platonically of course).

Btw, since some of you brought it up, and its my fault for not clarifying in OP, assume for all intensive purposes that the terrorist WILL talk. The point of the situation is not to discuss the merits of torture as a interigation methods and whether its effective, but rather what lenghts of utility people are willing to explore. Heck, if your worried about modern tech and nuclear weapons, just substitute a virulent pathogen for a nuclear weapon that will be released in a crowded area in 2 hours.

Sure, you'll lie to your wife by telling her those pants don't make her look fat

Sure you'll kill a bad person to save a good person

Sure you'd kill a bad person to save a million people.

But would you kill/harm an innocent person to save a million people? Act ulitarianism says yes, because the utility gained by that one loss of life is incomparable to the lives gained, but rule ulitariansim says that by breaking the law to gain that utility, we really have experienced no true gains.

Last edited by Elamdri (2006-12-08 16:58:06)

oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6529|Πάϊ

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Yes and Yes (didn't you already make this thread earlier?).

You just assumed that he's Muslim... *cough*brainwashed*cough*
ƒ³
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6539|Global Command

weamo8 wrote:

Fancy_Pollux wrote:

Yes and Yes.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6478
The terrorist would lie either way. Coerced evidence is often made up.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6415|North Carolina
Evacuate the city, torture the terrorist for the hell of it....  and hell...  torture the girl too for good measure.
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6657|Peoria
I love how whenever torture is brought up, it starts getting thrown around that everyone is a zen guru and can withstand any sort of torture you could conceive of. Torture and ways to counteract it have been around for centuries. If the ways to counteract it were that effective, we wouldn't see torture in this day an age.
Swimmerxc
+12|6488|DC/VA

Parker wrote:

lol, will the models be wearing lave 4 suits?
Parker
isteal
i love reading the studies about the testing done with THC and LSD as truth serums.

but for real, i think we all have to agree that the only useful type of torture (by that i mean torture that yields information that might otherwise have been unknown) is the whole sensory depravation tank. only when that person loses everything except a voice that speaks to them from a black abyss will they start to spill everything they have ever done.
the physical torture does nothing, as far as yielding information. now it definity helps to break the persons will, but that is mostly not the intention.

Last edited by Parker (2006-12-08 21:00:23)

BVC
+325|6705
Yes to both, PROVIDED we are prepared to face the consequences of our actions if something isn't as we believe it to be...eg. there is no bomb
sfarrar33
Halogenoalkane
+57|6628|InGerLand

Stingray24 wrote:

sfarrar33 wrote:

yes to first
sort of to the second
you don't actually harm her but you make it look like you are to the terrorist, like have her in another room and play girly screams from the other sounds and basically what you would expect a tortured girl to sound like, and do really creepy stuff like have blood splat the floor under the door frame when she supposidly screams (so it looks a bit like she'd been whipped and the blood had splattered)
and i dno use pigs blood or something
If he's a hardass terrorist he probably has already resigned himself to his daughter's death and of course his own death.
in which case do what the fuck you like :-P
<[onex]>Headstone
+102|6712|New York

CameronPoe wrote:

I vote no on both counts on the 'innocent until proven guilty' axiom.
The question IS, they guy says its there and by all accounts theres proof if i read it right, so wheres the inocent until proven guilty part? BTW, what if it was YOUR city that had to bomb in it, what then would your answer be? Thats assumeing You KNOW yourself that the bomb really is in your city?

I say yes on both, Im sorry, but a million inocents compared to one guilty and ONE possibly inocent kid doesnt even compare here. Whos to say the Kid doesnt Know, that wasnt included in the question posed.
TeamZephyr
Maintaining My Rage Since 1975
+124|6539|Hillside, Melbourne, Australia
If he's a "headline terrorist" then theres no way he would allow his cause to be stopped and he would reveal nothing under torture.

If the physical torture got too much for him he'd make up a location, meaning that the torture would stop and he'd achieve his goal anyway.

The best you could hope for would be an evacuation of the city, the deployment of ALL police forces and those fancy helicopters that detect radiation to find the location of said bomb. I'm afraid that if someone is fanatical enough to nuke a city of 1 million innocents then they are fanatical enough for their plan to succeed no matter what.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6683|Colorado
YES x2
CameronPoe
+2,925|6565
Just a thought: you're talking about the kind of person who would fly a plane into a skyscraper killing himself and everyone in the building. Are you sure torture is going to bear fruit? He could provide information that deliberatley misleads the authorities as to the whereabouts of the bomb to GUARANTEE it goes off.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-12-10 07:41:52)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6726

CameronPoe wrote:

Just a thought: you're talking about the kind of person who would fly a plane into a skyscraper killing himself and everyone in the building. Are you sure torture is going to bear fruit? He could provide information that deliberatley misleads the authorities as to the whereabouts of the bomb to GUARANTEE it goes off.
True, but as GS said, there's choppers with radiation detectors.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
samfink
+31|6565
evacuate the city, and torture the terrorist ONLY. NOT the child

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard