Untrained_Occupant
+5|6421|portland, OR
Here's the deal:  I just got  a new set of Raptor 74g 10,000 rpm/16 meg seek drives striped with RAID 0.

I was using one Western Digital 7200 rpm (2 gigs of RAM, Athlon 64 3000, running at 2 Ghz).

Before, I had a long load with the map, but actually a pretty short "verifying client data" time, appox. 20 to 30 seconds.

After the Raptor RAID 0 install (and OS reinstall, of course) I started getting awesome map load times with crazy SLOW "verifying client data" time, I went up to about 1.5 to 2 minutes!!

I spent all day trying to optimize my new XP install, defrags, registry tweaks, MS Bootvis, you name it.  After some time I finally found an application called TCP Optimizer.  It optimizes your broadband connection, and it's ridiculously easy to use!!  I didn't even do any of the hard core tweaking, I just let the application apply its recommended settings, hit apply, rebooted, and BAM!  My "verifying client data" time is now less than 10 seconds!  I'm now one of the first people on a map.

Here's the link:  http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

HOWEVER, I did several things on my machine, so I'm not completely sure if this application was the main reason, but I am noticing a little more responsiveness when I'm web surfing. 

I also had my old installation of BF2 on my old hard drive (which is still active in my machine as a back up).  I formatted that old drive, deleting the old install.  Is it possible that the "verifying client data" was scanning the new installation and the old installation?

Anyway, try out the TCP optimizer, and post your results!

BTW, a Raptor stripe RAID kicks much ass!
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6583|Reisterstown, MD

10,000 RPM ftw!!
commandochristian
Honda - The Power of Dreams
+293|6405|Michigan, USA

hmm, I'm curious... would anyone else advise for downloading this or would you be against this?
velocitychaos
+26|6489|Brisbane Australia
i just downloaded it and am about to install ( system restore first ), I'll let yas know

If you never hear from me again, it may be wise to leave this program alone!

Last edited by velocitychaos (2006-12-09 18:30:46)

commandochristian
+293|6405|Michigan, USA

many thanks velocitychaos
Untrained_Occupant
+5|6421|portland, OR

velocitychaos wrote:

i just downloaded it and am about to install ( system restore first ), I'll let yas know

I can understand your concern.  It's only been on my machine for about 3 hours.  I looked around the speedguide.net site for a while, it looks pretty robust as far as content.  Meaning I don't think it's a hack site.  Just to be on the safe side I ran my AVG anti virus, Ad Aware, and Spybot S&D.  They didn't come up with anything.  I guess time will tell.  I appreciate you taking the leap with me, though.

I just hope it helps other players with the BF2 loading time.  I thought I was going to die of old age waiting to get into a map.
commandochristian
+293|6405|Michigan, USA

velocitychaos wrote:

!!! now I'm scared!
commandochristian
+293|6405|Michigan, USA

Okay, if the program has been promoted on techtv I imagine it can't be evil-minded, unless there's a secret plot between techtv and speedguide.net, the makers of this "TCP optimizer" to take over the computer world! (blame the randomness on there being too many marshmallows in my bowl of lucky charms today)
commandochristian
+293|6405|Michigan, USA

okay, I've downloaded and installed.  I need to figure out my "maximum connection speed" first though, which is proving to be a formidable task...
Untrained_Occupant
+5|6421|portland, OR

commandochristian wrote:

okay, I've downloaded and installed.  I need to figure out my "maximum connection speed" first though, which is proving to be a formidable task...
I actually didn't mess with that.  I just hit the "optimal settings" button on the first tab and applied the changes.  I believe the other tabs are mostly for testing purposes.  I'm not sure though, post what you find.
cdogmn763
Banned
+2|6342
i been using TCP Optimizer from speedguide.net for years, its porbably the easiest and the best one out there for broadband,i have comcast at 8.0 mbps,loading bf2 takes for me takes about 20-30 seconds for the map load and verifiying,
cdogmn763
Banned
+2|6342
www.speedguide.net has beed around for 10+ years, trusted site for dsl and cable
velocitychaos
+26|6489|Brisbane Australia
Well, i installed it and after doing a lot of timing and testing i've come to the conclusion that TCP optimizer prolly won't make that much difference. Actually after installing it i recorded the longest "loading client data"  time by 1 second- 28.3 seconds, before installing TCP i recorded 27.1 seconds (this is going into full or almost full 64 player maps). The shortest time was almost too quick to time (around 1 second) before and after installing TCP, of course thats leaving and going back into the same server.
But i have noticed web browsing seems a bit quicker and smoother, i don't know whether thats TCP or sunday on telstra, but so far so good, if you can afford the space....go for it!

BTW i think my max conn speed is 15-17 Mbps

Last edited by velocitychaos (2006-12-09 19:33:15)

Untrained_Occupant
+5|6421|portland, OR
But i have noticed web browsing seems a bit quicker and smoother, i don't know whether thats TCP or sunday on telstra, but so far so good, if you can afford the space....go for it!

Thanks for trying it too.   I was hoping to help out the community somehow, the app did wonders for me.
!!yaya
+1|6355
Verifyting Client data has everything to do with your I/O throughput from your HD and nothing else. Ive already got this from EA. It has alot to do with Punkbuster and I wont even try to go into details about that.

The reason the Raptor is faster is because SATA is much faster then PATA. Get a Raptor Unltra wide SCSI and then let the fun begin.

Ultra DMA ATA 100 - 100MB/sec transfer rate.
Ultra DMA ATA 133 - 133MB/sec transfer rate.
Serial ATA - 150MB/sec transfer rate.

You tack on the RPM and you can guess the faster the RPM the better.
commandochristian
+293|6405|Michigan, USA

Okay, I downloaded, installed, and ended up putting what was listed as my current ethernet speed of 10 Mbps as my maximum.  I have to say, I DEFINITELY noticed a LARGE DECREASE in my "Verifying Client Data" time... before I got TCP Optimizer I was lucky if I my "Join Game" button appeared before the entire sound clip in the background finished and started playing again.  I have no idea the amount of time that actually took, but it was a lot longer than how long I have to wait now (after getting TCP Optimizer): After loading, the verifying process goes a lot quicker (not uber fast but definately quick)!

Much Thanks to Untrained_Occupant for the helpful advice! +1!  btw nice drives!
Untrained_Occupant
+5|6421|portland, OR

commandochristian wrote:

Okay, I downloaded, installed, and ended up putting what was listed as my current ethernet speed of 10 Mbps as my maximum.  I have to say, I DEFINITELY noticed a LARGE DECREASE in my "Verifying Client Data" time... before I got TCP Optimizer I was lucky if I my "Join Game" button appeared before the entire sound clip in the background finished and started playing again.  I have no idea the amount of time that actually took, but it was a lot longer than how long I have to wait now (after getting TCP Optimizer): After loading, the verifying process goes a lot quicker (not uber fast but definately quick)!

Much Thanks to Untrained_Occupant for the helpful advice! +1!  btw nice drives!
Glad I could help!  Finding that utility was definitely a happy accident.
Thx for the karma!
commandochristian
+293|6405|Michigan, USA

Untrained_Occupant wrote:

Glad I could help!  Finding that utility was definitely a happy accident.
Thx for the karma!
lol gotta love it when you have one of those...  You're Welcome!
chaosdragon001
Whee
+53|6501|Los Angeles, California
It works.
JaggedPanther
+61|6467
I didn't think it would. Games run on the UDP not TCP/IP.

But then again it is loading your stats so perhaps somehow TCP/IP is involved with verifying your profile.

Last edited by JaggedPanther (2006-12-14 06:14:39)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard