CommieChipmunk
+488|6571|Portland, OR, USA
Alright, so this isn't intended to be racist and I hope that it is in no way viewed that way.  But.. I've been wondering why African Americans or people of Native American (including south america) descent would even consider being Catholic/Christian?

The white men, who introduced your ancestors to this religion (more forced it upon them) killed their people, used themas slaves, took their land... the list goes on.  But why would you follow a religion given to you by the same people that killed you, took your land, etc...

I first thought of this when I was listening to a Christmas gospel performance and an African American guy in front of me got up and started "praising the Lord"... When I thought about it the irony was incredible...

Any who, its just a question I've always had

Last edited by CommieChipmunk (2006-12-09 13:12:55)

Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6446|The Land of Scott Walker
Why don't you ask an African American person that question?  I cannot answer for them. 

I would like to address one small point.  Catholicism and Christianity are not one in the same.  The Vatican does not represent Christianity as a whole.  Also, not all white men who killed natives, took slaves, took land, etc were religious.  I submit they used religion as a smokescreen for their own selfish ambitions.
Mouse315
Bash.org Junkie
+105|6521
Religion can transcend prejudice, its more of an attitude thing.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6406|North Carolina

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Alright, so this isn't intended to be racist and I hope that it is in no way viewed that way.  But.. I've been wondering why African Americans or people of Hispanic descent would even consider being Catholic/Christian?

The white men, who introduced your ancestors to this religion (more forced it upon them) killed their people, used themas slaves, took their land... the list goes on.  But why would you follow a religion given to you by the same people that killed you, took your land, etc...

I first thought of this when I was listening to a Christmas gospel performance and an African American guy in front of me got up and started "praising the Lord"... When I thought about it the irony was incredible...

Any who, its just a question I've always had
I've noticed the same.  It's just that people generally accept the norms and religions around them.  Few people choose a different route.

My life probably could have been a little easier if I had chosen to remain Methodist.  Because I chose to disassociate myself from religion, I have to be careful who I tell I'm atheist to.  For example, my grandparents don't know I'm atheist, and I don't want to offend them.  It's these kinds of pressures people often face in religion.

In a weird way, it's almost like being gay.  I'm straight, but I can definitely see why most gay people are in the closet about it.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6526|South Florida
Because they, like everyone else, are afraid of death and dont want to think about it so they make up stuff.
15 more years! 15 more years!
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

Stingray24 wrote:

Also, not all white men who killed natives, took slaves, took land, etc were religious.
If not all, then almost all, were religious.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6582|SE London

Dezerteagal5 wrote:

Because they, like everyone else, are afraid of death and dont want to think about it so they make up stuff.
J3ST3R
+59|6515|Vancouver, Canada
Heres my religion questions.... if Christianity was real then technically we would all be inbred and hence would all have horrible diseases like the amish. If Christianity was real then how did Adam and Eve's 3 sons spawn the rest of humanity? My last question is why do Christians not believe in Dinasours when it's proven that they existed.
EVieira
+105|6479|Lutenblaag, Molvania

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Alright, so this isn't intended to be racist and I hope that it is in no way viewed that way.  But.. I've been wondering why African Americans or people of Hispanic descent would even consider being Catholic/Christian?
Lets just clear up on thing here. People of hispanic descent are European descendants. You should be refering to the native-americans.
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
Turquoise
O Canada

EVieira wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Lets just clear up on thing here. People of hispanic descent are European descendants. You should be refering to the native-americans.
Most South Americans are at least partially Native in their heritage.  A lot of intermingling occurred in places like Brazil.  So, technically, that should at least cause someone to question what they are supporting by following a religion that killed off part of their heritage.
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6481|Somewhere else

Never seem "dogma" have you?  to qoute Chris Rocks's character "jesus wasn't white, Jesus was black....Well He is the Son of God, right? It's kind of hard to have the New Testament without him. So you fudge a few facts and put a spin on His ethnicity."
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6686|Espoo, Finland

J3ST3R wrote:

Heres my religion questions.... if Christianity was real then technically we would all be inbred and hence would all have horrible diseases like the amish. If Christianity was real then how did Adam and Eve's 3 sons spawn the rest of humanity? My last question is why do Christians not believe in Dinasours when it's proven that they existed.
Because they think that bible proves good. You don't trust their source, they don't trust yours.
CommieChipmunk
+488|6571|Portland, OR, USA

J3ST3R wrote:

Alright then tell me this.  If Darwinism (the theory of evolution) is for real, then why hasn't the need for religion been pushed out of our brain?  There is obviously some necessary tie between religion and humanity. (i'm not talking about just Christianity I'm talking about the feeling that there is a high being)
Parker
isteal
+1,452|6395|The Gem Saloon

CommieChipmunk wrote:

J3ST3R wrote:

Alright then tell me this.  If Darwinism (the theory of evolution) is for real, then why hasn't the need for religion been pushed out of our brain?  There is obviously some necessary tie between religion and humanity. (i'm not talking about just Christianity I'm talking about the feeling that there is a high being)
in my opinion the need for a religion is what helped communism fall in russia.
i would imagine that laying on your deathbed wondering what was next felt pretty lonely.....but on the other hand, i kind of understand what lenin said about the whole opiate for the masses thing.
my father in law is a deacon in his southern methodist church, and my views on religion are no secret.
though im not athiest, i do believe that there is a power greater than myself.
i just dont buy into any of the religions that i have read about.
Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6363|Vancouver

J3ST3R wrote:

Now, now, some fundamentalist Christians believe in dinosaurs. The Canadian Minister of Public Safety believes that the Bible is 100% true, cover to cover, and that dinosaurs existed at the same time as Adam and Eve.
J3ST3R
but dinasaurs are millions of years old while christians believe the earth is only thousands of years old.
Another question, why do the christians believe the grand canyon was made in 3 days?

Last edited by J3ST3R (2006-12-10 00:39:42)

TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6674|Colorado
Because the have been assimilated into our society.
https://www.theory.org/~strthrwr/pictures/yoda-of-borg.jpg
LividBovine
The Year of the Cow!
+175|6381|MN
Not all Christians have the same beliefs.  It comes down to interpretation of the bible.  100% true, or something less than that.  I personally do not think the grand canyon was made in 3 days, or that the world is only thousands of years old.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation" - Barack Obama (a freshman senator from Illinios)
Blehm98
conservative hatemonger
+150|6464|meh-land
I'd consider myself pretty religious, but i also don't think the bible should be taken as literal truth.  It is an interpretation of what could have happened to people who though if you sailed out too far you'd fall off the earth.

I can guarantee you that there are plenty of Christians out there who believe in the bible and science/darwinism, i know i do.  Don't look at it as a 'you're either one or the other' types of things
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6722|Sydney, Australia
I'll go for a two in one:

J3ST3R wrote:

Heres my religion questions.... if Christianity was real then technically we would all be inbred and hence would all have horrible diseases like the Amish. If Christianity was real then how did Adam and Eve's 3 sons spawn the rest of humanity? My last question is why do Christians not believe in Dinasours when it's proven that they existed.
I in an attempt at being a smart arse asked the religion teacher at school. She said that there genes were so pure that their offspring wouldn't be genetically corrupt... whatever.

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Darwinism and evolution revolves around genetics. There is no gene that determines religion, is there? You are not born with religion, but into religion.

Your parents taught you about god, like they taught you to speak. People learn English. They write, speak and even think in English. Other have learnt French. They speak, write and think in french. It is not their genetics that determine the language that they use, it's what they are exposed to.

On a similar note, what religion one may practice is based on what they are exposed to. For example, this is the reason people convert to other religions. Their exposure to a different religion has resulted in the choosing to practice that one. There is no part in their DNA that says "you shall worship 'this' god".

This also applies to religious fundamentalism. For example, take the Amish. They live in a traditional lifestyle that may seem absurd to the outside viewer. For the people that actually believe in this, often it is the only type of life they have been exposed to. As such, it's the one they choose.

Like an essay reaching it's conclusion, I'll come to my final point. There is no part of the human DNA that determines the religion of a person. It is ones exposure to religion that plays the role of choosing the religion they follow. Even though we might not need religion anymore, enough people still believe in it, and as such expose their children to religion. As a result of this exposure, they will practice that religion. When they themselves have children, the cycle will continue.

In a way, I have also answered the OP's question.

Mcminty.
apollo_fi
The Flying Kalakukko.
+94|6531|The lunar module

mcminty wrote:

CommieChipmunk wrote:

Darwinism and evolution revolves around genetics. There is no gene that determines religion, is there? You are not born with religion, but into religion.
But you're born with an aptitude for religion. Religion comes easy to most people, it's getting away from religion that seems to be the difficult direction.

Most religions provide a way to prolong the state of being 'a child' after childhood. Maybe religion is a viral meme that rides on the (gene based) submissive behaviour patterns that are present in a child/parent relationship. 

Maybe.
T0rr3nt
+54|6578|Michigan
whyd most germans convert to nazis? because if you didnt, youd probably be killed
J3ST3R

mcminty wrote:

I in an attempt at being a smart arse asked the religion teacher at school. She said that there genes were so pure that their offspring wouldn't be genetically corrupt... whatever.
ok if thats true how did their 3 sons spawn the rest of humanity?
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6767|UK

Turquoise wrote:

I've noticed the same.  It's just that people generally accept the norms and religions around them.  Few people choose a different route.

My life probably could have been a little easier if I had chosen to remain Methodist.  Because I chose to disassociate myself from religion, I have to be careful who I tell I'm atheist to.  For example, my grandparents don't know I'm atheist, and I don't want to offend them.  It's these kinds of pressures people often face in religion.

In a weird way, it's almost like being gay.  I'm straight, but I can definitely see why most gay people are in the closet about it.
Thats quite sad that you can't tell your grand parents. My Grandmother is strongly Catholic, but she isn't offended by the fact that I don't believe in God and im not a Christian even though I was christened.
Turquoise
O Canada

Vilham wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Thats quite sad that you can't tell your grand parents. My Grandmother is strongly Catholic, but she isn't offended by the fact that I don't believe in God and im not a Christian even though I was christened.
It is...  I mean, I could probably tell them, and they would accept it, but it would take some time.  Another reason why I don't see it fit to tell them is that they are so close to the end of their lives.  I'd rather let them have peace in their final years than trouble them with the truth about something that really isn't their business anyway.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard