Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6462|The Land of Scott Walker

Ratzinger wrote:

EVieira wrote:

all people think about religion is how dinosaurs defeat the bible and the koran is a terrorist brainwash manual...
No, no, don't get me wrong, I think its a lot less than that....
That is your right.  If you study various religions, I'm not even asking you to believe any of them, you will, at the very least, find what EVieira listed in his post: very profound philosophy and spiritualism.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6422|North Carolina

Stingray24 wrote:

norge wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

If we're truly the masters of our own destiny, why haven't we grasped the details of our universe by now?  Because we have finite minds.  We can't possibly fully understand the complete depth of our universe.  All we have are scientific theories that are a feeble attempt to explain things in terms we can wrap our minds around.
i love the misinformed.

I wanna point out that a "Theory" in science, is basically as concrete as it gets.  In everyday usage a theory is something that might or might not be, but in science, a theory basically is proof.
Theory in science is based on the most recent discoveries.  Science once thought the world was flat, that the sun revolved around the earth, etc etc the list goes on.  Since we see science constantly adjusting it's "facts" with new discoveries, it cannot be concrete.
I would argue science is more reliable than religion because it is continually open to improvement.  Religion and tradition take a long time to change -- as we're discovering in the Middle East currently.
Stingray24

Turquoise wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

norge wrote:

i love the misinformed.

I wanna point out that a "Theory" in science, is basically as concrete as it gets.  In everyday usage a theory is something that might or might not be, but in science, a theory basically is proof.
Theory in science is based on the most recent discoveries.  Science once thought the world was flat, that the sun revolved around the earth, etc etc the list goes on.  Since we see science constantly adjusting it's "facts" with new discoveries, it cannot be concrete.
I would argue science is more reliable than religion because it is continually open to improvement.  Religion and tradition take a long time to change -- as we're discovering in the Middle East currently.
I'm open to suggestions on how to improve the Ten Commandments.  I have a hunch the improvements would involve removing things, knowing human nature.
Turquoise
O Canada

Stingray24 wrote:

Why would anyone use the lack of perfection in another human being, religious or otherwise, as the sole factor in determining their belief system?
EDIT: Serious question.  Not meant to demean anyone.  I would really like to know why that is the case.
Good point...  for me, it was a combination of things that lead to my atheism, but the actions of many Christians didn't improve my opinion of organized religion.

To be fair though, I used to room with a Christian fundamentalist in college.  We got along because he was one of the few that actually practiced what he preached, and he understood that his restrictive code of ethics did not apply to non-believers.  He was far more logical than most fundamentalists I encounter.  So yeah, there are some religious people that I can respect.
Turquoise
O Canada

Stingray24 wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

I'm open to suggestions on how to improve the Ten Commandments.  I have a hunch the improvements would involve removing things, knowing human nature.
Well, I'm talking more about social context.  Like, it took a while for people to realize that the Bible doesn't actually justify slavery.  Many Christians in the 1700s and 1800s used the Bible to justify slavery.  To me, religion is heavily dependent on interpretation.  Slowly, interpretation improves over time, but it is a very slow process.
Stingray24

Turquoise wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Why would anyone use the lack of perfection in another human being, religious or otherwise, as the sole factor in determining their belief system?
EDIT: Serious question.  Not meant to demean anyone.  I would really like to know why that is the case.
Good point...  for me, it was a combination of things that lead to my atheism, but the actions of many Christians didn't improve my opinion of organized religion.

To be fair though, I used to room with a Christian fundamentalist in college.  We got along because he was one of the few that actually practiced what he preached, and he understood that his restrictive code of ethics did not apply to non-believers.  He was far more logical than most fundamentalists I encounter.  So yeah, there are some religious people that I can respect.
Thoughtful post, well done.
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6480|Tyne & Wear, England
OK i must admit I havent read many other posts but...

Has it ever ocurred to any of the religious, that if we raised a child, yes an innocent child, naturally, then he/she would not miracuously believe in a god.  We are animals and there is no such thing as a god.  'God' is something that was created by a few lunatics that tried to keep their people in check by doing so. 

Religion is something that corrupts the weak, i.e. Innocent children who have no choice but to believe in it because their allready corrupt parents tell them to do so.

Its a poison I tell you.
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Stingray24

KILLSWITCH wrote:

Has it ever ocurred to any of the religious, that if we raised a child, yes an innocent child, naturally, then he/she would not miracuously believe in a god.  We are animals and there is no such thing as a god.  'God' is something that was created by a few lunatics that tried to keep their people in check by doing so. 

Religion is something that corrupts the weak, i.e. Innocent children who have no choice but to believe in it because their allready corrupt parents tell them to do so.

Its a poison I tell you.
At the very least, wouldn't you agree that religion in general teaches us to be better people?  There is obviously much more to religion in my opinion, but can we agree on that?  Moral values are not a poison are they?
Switch
Knee Deep In Clunge
+489|6480|Tyne & Wear, England

Stingray24 wrote:

KILLSWITCH wrote:

Has it ever occurred to any of the religious, that if we raised a child, yes an innocent child, naturally, then he/she would not miraculously believe in a god.  We are animals and there is no such thing as a god.  'God' is something that was created by a few lunatics that tried to keep their people in check by doing so. 

Religion is something that corrupts the weak, i.e. Innocent children who have no choice but to believe in it because their already corrupt parents tell them to do so.

Its a poison I tell you.
At the very least, wouldn't you agree that religion in general teaches us to be better people?  There is obviously much more to religion in my opinion, but can we agree on that?  Moral values are not a poison are they?
At a basic level, yes it does.  However when there are contrasting views around the world about who's gods morals are right or wrong, then it does nothing but separate people and cause death and destruction.

Why cant we instill moral values into people without religion?
Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Turquoise
O Canada

KILLSWITCH wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

KILLSWITCH wrote:

Has it ever occurred to any of the religious, that if we raised a child, yes an innocent child, naturally, then he/she would not miraculously believe in a god.  We are animals and there is no such thing as a god.  'God' is something that was created by a few lunatics that tried to keep their people in check by doing so. 

Religion is something that corrupts the weak, i.e. Innocent children who have no choice but to believe in it because their already corrupt parents tell them to do so.

Its a poison I tell you.
At a basic level, yes it does.  However when there are contrasting views around the world about who's gods morals are right or wrong, then it does nothing but separate people and cause death and destruction.

Why cant we instill moral values into people without religion?
It is true that religious conflict causes a lot of the world's problems.  Secular humanism provides a source for morality that most people can agree with, religious or not.  Its ethics are very similar to the Ten Commandments.

Personally, I see religion as an inevitability.  It will always exist, so why bother trying to remove it?  As long as church and state are separate, things should be ok.

Anyway, thanks for the support, Stingray. 
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6689|Colorado

EVieira wrote:

TrollmeaT wrote:

Because people are waking up to logic & thinking instead of "feeling" the faith they are suppose to have. Religion is a doctrine of fear & death. You should wake up as well, it's a great world, shame to miss it pining away for the next life only to discover that you didn't do what you were suppose to & now have to do it all over.
That's very stereotypical, religions are much more than that. There is very profound philosophy and spiritualism in most religions that are interesting to study whether you believe in god or not.  But that side of religion never makes headlines, hence all people think about religion is how dinosaurs defeat the bible and the koran is a terrorist brainwash manual...
It's not stereotypical & religions are little more than that. The profound philosophy you speak of is a collection of vague story's & spiritualism is almost as bad as religion replacing reason for feelings.
I've seen both sides of it & I choose the one that makes sense & gives me answers I'm looking for instead of leaning upon a broken crutch for my strength & hoping that it doesn't break.
The question was asked, I gave an answer. If you keep choosing to believe what others tell you go right ahead, but I would suggest doing a lot of reading & make up your own mind.
I suggest Ayn Rand's Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology to start but if thats not your cup of tea the fiction novel Atlas Shrugged by the same author should convey what I cannot with words.
Mogura
+17|6379|EUROPE

stef10 wrote:

Well as I said above there are a lot of thing in science, that we really can not explain. We do not have the technology or the brains therefor we can not say there is not a God.
i little more than 100 years we didnt know how to fly, a little more than 50 years we didnt know how to use uranium to produce elecricity....
yes you are right NOW there is a lot of things that science cant axplain, but ask again in 100 years or 1000 or 10 000 years....

Stingray24 wrote:

KILLSWITCH wrote:

Its a poison I tell you.
your "christian" moral values are not universal moral values ! when christianity spread out in europe, africe , then america, first thing christian missiobaries did when they come in some culture ( that had his own moral values and traditions) is to say that all that is evil and devil made, and that only good way is christian way, else they will go to hell.
thats how most of ancients culures were destroyed !
who are you to say that your moral walues are the best ? or the only good moral walues ? universal ?
from the first moment of his existance religion works towards uniformisation of humainti, religion dont accept the difference !
Mogura
+17|6379|EUROPE
PS : Sorry for my english 
jarhedch
+12|6687|Aberdeen, Uk, SF Bay Area 1st

KILLSWITCH wrote:

Its a poison I tell you.
Bull, I know many extremely strong people who would run rings around you intellectually as well as physically. They aren't weak, Most religious people I know are very strong and capable of extreme thought processes. the premise that religous people are weak is exteremely foolish and also a very poor argument. And the belief that religous parents are corrupt (i notice you don't allow room for the possibility that only some may be corrupt) is also beyond erroneous, Seeing that most of society's problem children who are involved in drugs and etc were brought up in homes that had "uncorrupt" parents as you seem to see it, who had no bearing or rasising in religion. They had no morals, and as such were not restrained.

It's no coincidence that the fall in religious belief correlates to an increase in the decay of our inner cicites and society as we know it.

Last edited by jarhedch (2006-12-09 03:14:36)

[n00b]Tyler
Banned
+505|6611|Iceland
I've seen ppl talk in tongues and its creepy like 10 at a time going ''BLA BALBABLABLALB LALALLA DADADAD'' for 10 mins.... I guess i ain't Christian
jarhedch
+12|6687|Aberdeen, Uk, SF Bay Area 1st
I don't talk in tongues......
EVieira
+105|6495|Lutenblaag, Molvania

TrollmeaT wrote:

It's not stereotypical & religions are little more than that. The profound philosophy you speak of is a collection of vague story's & spiritualism is almost as bad as religion replacing reason for feelings.
Yes it is stereotypical, when you classified all religion as fear and death. If you don't like the philosophy of it, thats fine, but spiritualism has nothing to do with replacing reason for feelings.

TrollmeaT wrote:

I've seen both sides of it & I choose the one that makes sense & gives me answers I'm looking for instead of leaning upon a broken crutch for my strength & hoping that it doesn't break.
The question was asked, I gave an answer. If you keep choosing to believe what others tell you go right ahead, but I would suggest doing a lot of reading & make up your own mind.
I suggest Ayn Rand's Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology to start but if thats not your cup of tea the fiction novel Atlas Shrugged by the same author should convey what I cannot with words.
I'm no trying to oppose your choice of belief (or non-belief), but don't assume my choice, or any others choice of religion, comes exclusively from others. I have my studies and my personal experiences, and of course my set of morals. And I only found a religion that truly identified with after I was more than 20.

Last edited by EVieira (2006-12-09 11:17:14)

"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Galileo Galilei  (1564-1642)
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6707|Tampa Bay Florida
The question should not be "Why do people become atheists"

The question should be "Why do people become religious"

Religion is not a natural, instinctive part of an beings existence.  Without languages, there would be no religion, or "god" for that matter.  "God" only existed after religions were created.  If I grew up on a deserted island, spoke no language, and had no communication with the outside world, I would bet my life on the fact I would have no f'ing clue what religion is, who Jesus Christ is/was, or any other of that bullcrap.

So again , I say the question should be "Why do people become religious"
EVieira

Turquoise wrote:

I agree with you there, and I believe that is the greatest reason many people refrain from having a religion. The dogmas of the Catholic church, for example, are centuries old and don't evolve. The way the Vatican oppose the use of condoms even in Africa where AIDS is rampant, and its opposition to gay relationships just doesn't fit in the modern world anymore.

Not having a religion, though, is not necessarily not believing in god. I can perfectly understand why many people don't have religions...
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered;  the point is to discover them."
Drakef
Cheeseburger Logicist
+117|6379|Vancouver

Turquoise wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

norge wrote:

i love the misinformed.

Exactly. Science's ability to adapt to new discoveries only aids its prominence. Ironically, Stingray pointed out that once we thought the the sun revolved around the earth. This was a staple of the Catholic Church's doctrine. By using current scientific beliefs, the Church was able to declare God's authority over such things. Galilaeo was able to dismiss such an archaic belief as the sun revolved around the earth, not only challenging the current scientific theory, but the Church's authority as well. Obviously, if the sun didn't revolve around the earth, then the Church was wrong! The Church has refused to change their story, because it contradicts their dogma, while science can change. It is not reversing theories again and again, it is building new theories and facts on top of solid, concrete facts, such as 'The Earth is not flat'.
Turquoise
O Canada

Spearhead wrote:

The question should not be "Why do people become atheists"

The question should be "Why do people become religious"

Religion is not a natural, instinctive part of an beings existence.  Without languages, there would be no religion, or "god" for that matter.  "God" only existed after religions were created.  If I grew up on a deserted island, spoke no language, and had no communication with the outside world, I would bet my life on the fact I would have no f'ing clue what religion is, who Jesus Christ is/was, or any other of that bullcrap.

So again , I say the question should be "Why do people become religious"
I agree...  and I think the answer is that humans have a desire to assume things when they have no logical answer.  They assume so much that they create a culture around the answer they decided upon.  If humans were more empirical by nature, we would likely evolve faster in a cultural sense.
Stingray24

Mogura wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

your "christian" moral values are not universal moral values ! when christianity spread out in europe, africe , then america, first thing christian missiobaries did when they come in some culture ( that had his own moral values and traditions) is to say that all that is evil and devil made, and that only good way is christian way, else they will go to hell.
who are you to say that your moral walues are the best ? or the only good moral walues ? universal ?
from the first moment of his existance religion works towards uniformisation of humainti, religion dont accept the difference !
Notice I stated religion "in general" teaches us to be better people.  I did not say what religion or from which culture the religion arose.  Nor did I say my personal moral values are universal or the best.  I was very careful to ask my question in general terms.
Turquoise
O Canada
Perhaps, we can pinpoint the enemy of human progress as being dogma, not necessarily religion itself.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6774|Argentina

Stingray24 wrote:

Mogura wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

Notice I stated religion "in general" teaches us to be better people.  I did not say what religion or from which culture the religion arose.  Nor did I say my personal moral values are universal or the best.  I was very careful to ask my question in general terms.
Religion is supposed to teach people to be better.  But when you see the child molesters, when you read about beheading if you don't pray in Somalia, when you read about the Crusades, when you read about the Inquisition, when you read the news everyday about the Middle East, you realize that Religion makes people commit the worst crimes in the name of a God.  Does God agree with this?

Last edited by sergeriver (2006-12-09 11:48:40)

EVieira

sergeriver wrote:

Religion is supposed to teach people to be better.  But when you see the child molesters, when you read about beheading if you don't pray in Somalia, when you read about the Crusades, when you read about the Inquisition, when you read the news everyday about the Middle East, you realize that Religion makes people commit the worst crimes in the name of a God.  Does God agree with this?
So man commits acts in the name of God. Is this God's fault? Is this religion's fault? If I go out and behead somebody in the name os Sergeriver and all Argentians, who's fault is it?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard