Slink
+17|6716
Enemy Armor Spotted!  A guide to the successful Anti-Tank.
by [Winsauce]Slink

Okay, I would like to open with the fact that I DID enlist on release week, so don't call ME a noob   Right, that out of the way...

We've all seen them.  T90s rolling down the road at your teamful of Medics, M1A2s crushing your Snipers under their iron treads, and so forth.  Most people haven't quite realized that the logical counter for the tank is the...Anti-Tank!  This guide will be about proper use of the AT kit.  Yay.

Firstly, I'll assume you know the kit setup.  If not: knife, pistol, SMG, 'launcher.  The knife has many uses.  I, personally, have the Expert Knife badge WITHOUT stat padding, so I can vouch for it's usefulness   Now, if you could THROW them a la Secret Weapons of WW2 ...

Anyway, on to the pistol.  The pistol is a 7mm 15 shot little baby that will save your life more often than not.  First, the basics.  Most people I talk to say that the pistol is best left unscoped and you just snap shots off.  Since this is my guide this is FALSE!  By using the sights, you can just snap off shots with more or less perfect accuracy and almost no recoil.  You ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS reload the pistol after every use.  If it's at 14 shots left or 3, reload it.  The best strategy to firing at close range is to line your sights up with the target's lungs and just snap off at least 10 shots most of the time.  Long ranges, the best way is to line your sights up with the target's collarbone and fire three or four shots, stop, three shots, until your target dies.

The SMG (or DAO-12) is one of your less useful tools.  (if you were wondering, the rocket takes up slots 1 through 7 out of the top 10.)  The MP5 (USA) is a 30 shot automatic or singleshot gun that is fairly useless.  The best bet with it is honestly to carry it in areas like the oilfields in Daqing or the alleys in Karkand and fire off the whole clip if you get ambushed.  The PP-19 (MEC) is basically the same, except it has 45 shots (making it more useful IMO), but you have to ration ammo since it only has 2 extra clips.  The Type 88 (PLA) is almost a copy of the MP5 except without the singleshot mode.  However, I find it much cooler since I'm a MP-40 geek in WW2 shooters   Of worthy note, obviously, is the DAO-12, which is the unlock replacement for your SMG.  This little bugger is a 12 shot semiautomatic shotgun that's loaded shell-by-shell.  It even has 59 extra shells!  The best time to use IT is all the time you don't have the rocket out.  The best tactic is to aim for the shins and go at him Diablo-style   For those of you with lives, click click click click ...

The ROCKET LAUNCHER!  Okay, it isn't much of a rocket launcher.  It does NO splash damage, sadly.  This thing had quite the reload time on it, and it has to be reloaded after every shot, but it's still useful!  Hit a footsoldier dead-on with it for an instant kill, if you're desperate (or sniping, more on that to come).  However, the true use is!  Killing TANKS!  Lightly armored jeeps (FAVs, DPVs, etc) are completely destroyed by a single rocket.  Heavy jeeps (Humvees, Vodniks) take a single rockets to the sides and start burning.  So, you can pretty much put down whole crews of jeeps instantly.  Bam!

Tanks and APCs are a slightly tougher matter.  Tanks can take two rockets to the back or treads and go boom, and *about* the same with APCs.  Now, note that 'back or treads' part.  Yup, positioning is almost more vital for an Anti-Tank than for a Sniper!  Hitting a vehicle on the back/underside/top/tires is the best way to go at it.  Sides are a close second, and the front is more or less a distraction.  Maybe a quarter of a tank's health.  So, you almost always want to be behind or above a tank when firing.

For the lesser used part of Anti-Tanking: Aircraft.  Yup, that SRAW/Eryx can put the aircraft down.  Planes are incredibly hard to hit (unless it's a hovering spawncamper in Wake...bastards...), but basically die at the sight of the rocket.  Helicopters are a bit varied.  First it's of note that the SRAW/Eryx has about the same armor penetration capabilities of the M95.  I have personally shot pilots out of Z10s and gunners out of Blackhawks with it   So, aim for the cockpit when possible.  Anyway, helicopters are vulnerable from below and on the tail, mostly.  So if you can't hit the pilot, hit the tail or underside.  Attack helicopters take two shots to break, transport helis are, I'm pretty sure, 3.  If anyone can confirm?

On to the rocket itself.  The rocket does NOT lose accuracy for being unscoped, unlike a sniper rifle.  It's also wire guided, meaning it'll track your crosshair to it's limits if you move it.  When firing at a faraway target, click and hold so as to keep the scope up and keep your sights on the target.  On a closer target don't scope, just point and click.  Being wire guided, it allows for some strategies.  For example, if a tank is facing you (the chassis, not the turret ) and smoking, jump, fire slightly up, and then aim down.  You can land the rocket right on top of the tank for extra damage with a little practice this way   And, the previously promised self-patented "SRAW Sniping".  It involves getting in a good sniper's position (with a supply crate for pwnage!) and using tactis mentioned above to snipe infantry and light vehicles out, and th tanks   Oh, and the rocket is called the SRAW for USA and the Eryx for PLA and MEC.

I hope this guide encourages many new fledgling Anti-Tanks to join me.  Fight the oppression of tank spawncampers!! 

A shout out to [CANADA]Zenmaster for telling me where to put this!

-- [Winsauce]Slink
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6811|Jupiter
okey dokey... why does everyone make these so called "guides"??.. Zenmater is the only one where i have found a usefull guide to help me.
PinkSugarHeartAttack
Sailor Mini Moon
+0|6746
The only thing you need to know about using Anti-Tank rockets is this: http://secretsofbattlefield.com/tankshits.html
chickenmuncher
+2|6770| U.S.A.
I myself love being AT, I love going into the alleys at Karkand and blowing away people with the DAO-12.

Another handy trick to use when shooting at a tank.

When you are looking at the side of a still standing tank, shoot 5-8 feet (give or take 5-8ft.) and right before its gonna pass the tank, swirve your cross hiar to the tank and the missle will smack right into the side.
If you have the balls to shoot a moving one, giving the speed of the tank you don't need to lead it by the given 5-8 feet.

*Note: This also works it you are looking straight at a tank, but it will hit the side, not the back.

This takes practice, but I have managed to master it and it is helpful when you see a tank sticking it barrel into the "Square" at Karkand, and you have the side shot from the stairs, which lead from the "Train Accident"...but you get the rear shot not the treds or side.

Hope you will give it a try
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6793|Noizyland

PinkSugarHeartAttack, nice one. That is useful, and enforces my belief that TOWs rule.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
PinkSugarHeartAttack
Sailor Mini Moon
+0|6746
I love that site, it has all the vehicle hit points. I spent some time there learning where to aim against helicopters. For those interested, here's the other vehicles for your aiming pleasure.
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6764

Sup sauce, AT is one of my favorite kits Rocket sniping is powerful and the DAO12 settles anything up close. Only problem with AT is dying from running out of ammo
tonitsen
+0|6727|Finland
Thx, well written guide, hope that ppl finally stop crying about tankers and find out that there is CLASS to get rid of them. It just seems like most ppl are trying to destroy tanks with their pistols more often than changing to AT kit.

Thanks also for hit spots, helped a lot, quite depressing to fire nearly all rockets in front armor of tank without a kill.
Cougar
Banned
+1,962|6783|Dallas
What? 

Useless....
Home
Section.80
+447|6866|Seattle, Washington, USA

(EUS)Gen.BadSnipaDay wrote:

okey dokey... why does everyone make these so called "guides"??.. Zenmater is the only one where i have found a usefull guide to help me.
Just because this guide wasn't useful to you doesn't mean it can't be useful to others, especially beginning players. He put a good amount of work into this, and I say it deserves a sticky. Good work!
armin
+0|6775| Bosnia & Herzegovina
lol I enlisted when the DEMO came out

As a tank user myself (11.000kills), I've improved my skills to take out anti tankers and anticipate their moves... I rarely get killed by an anti tank, or another tank for that sake, its usually C4 or artillery

I have to say that all those things will probably work if the guy driving the tank is a n00b, but u can't do anything against a pro
Home
Section.80
+447|6866|Seattle, Washington, USA

PinkSugarHeartAttack wrote:

The only thing you need to know about using Anti-Tank rockets is this: http://secretsofbattlefield.com/tankshits.html
This one is a bit better. Rather than just arrows, it actually has colored areas with the damages. Download it, then open the web page and check it out.

http://www.savefile.com/files/9900184

Last edited by Homeschtar (2005-12-28 17:58:47)

superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6800

great guide
BlueScreen
I am the pwnage! Bitches!
+5|6758|Finland
Btw one hit are is missing from tank vs tank hit boxes at secretsofbattlefield.com. If you hit tank with another tank to headlight from front it will destroy it with one single shot It's damn hard to hit there and it's mostly lucky shot and it's always better to shoot crawler track, but in some situations (like when own tank is almost destroyed and enemy tank is with full energy) it's good to try.. With lucky shoot you have chance to survive and earn kill(s)
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6761|FUCK UBISOFT

(EUS)Gen.BadSnipaDay wrote:

so they can get into featured posts and become famous
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Slink
+17|6716

Miguel diaz wrote:

You got it   And I want WIKI editing
{DGC}{jr.}Blitzkrieg
+10|6854|Arizona
I still can't get my veteran AT badge...those last 6 kills IAR seem to get difficult, and there's no good map for AT really
deject
Got His War On
+37|6793|Golden, CO

{DGC}{jr.}Blitzkrieg wrote:

I still can't get my veteran AT badge...those last 6 kills IAR seem to get difficult, and there's no good map for AT really
hehe, I got mine on FuShee Pass, while the enemy team had one ticket left for about a minute.  I was in a DPV racing to an enemy spawn point with 19 kills.  As I drove up, I saw a guy running around behind some sandbags.  I drove up and popped out and nailed him right away.  In less than 5 seconds the round ended.

now that shit is intense...
idiotofwar
Jet Rammer
+4|6746|Debris From Space
What's with this "guide"? I haven't learned anything new from it. And whoever posted this is true:
http://secretsofbattlefield.com/tankshits.html
All you need is that link.
topal63
. . .
+533|6737

BlueScreen wrote:

Btw one hit are is missing from tank vs tank hit boxes at secretsofbattlefield.com. If you hit tank with another tank to headlight from front it will destroy it with one single shot It's damn hard to hit there and it's mostly lucky shot and it's always better to shoot crawler track, but in some situations (like when own tank is almost destroyed and enemy tank is with full energy) it's good to try.. With lucky shoot you have chance to survive and earn kill(s)
Thanx for the info. . . crap I thought what the F*@! . . . one shot killed me from another tank? Now I know how it
happened.

And,

This tread thing helps me when I am in a tank (!); now I will turn the tank on a 45 degree angle more often and take out AT-guys at that angle, a 6 point hit on the side is better than a 10 point tread hit. It will take 4 side hits to destroy a tank. . . and they (tanks) do back up quickly: this fact + a supply box + a magic wrench = a tank even harder to take out!

Thanx!

Last edited by topal63 (2005-12-29 12:37:10)

DUFFKING
Insert witty comment here
+3|6777|Brixham, UK
I got enought kills for vet AT on mass destruction, the hill to the right of the shore CP leading toward the trainyard (I think thats it) is usually full of activity. I just sneaked up behind them and DAOwned them (har har).
[CANADA]_Zenmaster
Pope Picard II
+473|6764

Slink wrote:

Miguel diaz wrote:

You got it   And I want WIKI editing
You could ask Chuy to be the one who Wiki's my aviator thread - I told him he's welcome to the info but I don't want to organize that massive thread into something intelligent. As of yet, nobody has nominated themselves from the current group to take care of it from what I've seen. Xfire me if Chuy lets you take this on ~ canadazenmaster

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard