BlackLegion42
Damn Command and Conquer Generals...
+62|6732|Rochester, NY
Look, I suck and I do admit it. I try my best to be better at killing people, but I just can't do it. If I could be better, I would be a Staff Sergeant by now and got more awards than I do right now. I just have two questions to help me feel better and (be)come a better player.

1) Does anyone else have a 0.37 K/D ratio around here?

2) Can anyone help me become better in combat (mostly infantry) player?

Any suggestions is appreciated. I hate being the worst and now I am trying to not become the worst.

Last edited by BlackLegion42 (2005-12-27 10:21:47)

mort4u
Artillery catcher
+5|6840|Munich, Germany
dont worry to much cause it takes some time to be good in BF2.
my inittial FR wasnt much better and i started to really get good after 100h of playin. BF2 has so many options and different tactics that its different than other FPS games and takes more time to master it.

anyway here are some tips:
-dont run into a hot zone, take your time and keep an eye on your surroundings.
-if not in a close combat situation use the iron sight, always.
-dont engage enemys without any cover. if theres none change position so you have cover.
-if you are spotted try to approach your enemy from a different angle (with cover ).
-stick to 1 weapon for a certain time. you will see it takes some practice to master each weapon and use it effectively.
-if certain flags are heavily attacked choose another spawn and try to flank the attackers.
DUFFKING
Insert witty comment here
+3|6760|Brixham, UK
Some tips I posted elsewhere:

In helping yourself not die, I find being more wary of the whole premise of battlefield helps.

Tips:

1: Don't go capturing flags by yourself. Always have people around to help you. It's faster, and leaves you less open to attack whilst capturing the spawn. If you make a flag go neutral, a lot of enemies are going to be heading that way. At least with a squad you can have a chance of fighting back.

2: Avoid going on foor through vehicular hotspots. Certain places in maps will always have vehicles running through them, and you'll be an easy target. Get used to travelling in vehicles rather than on foot, and in city based maps, start using alleyways to move about rather than the main roads. The roads in a map like Karkand are dominated by the armour - the alleyways will keep you alive.

3: Your grenade launcher is not an effective anti tank weapon. Sure, you'll take a few bars off it, but that tank driver will be looking for where the nades came from. And those are grenades that could be put to use elsewhere.

4: When capping a point, don't just sit there and stare at one entrance. I keep moving, constantly strafing in a circle, turning around and checking exits for any sign of enemies.

5: The stationary rocket launchers are fantastic against armour. A good shot at the rear or the treads of a tank will grant you a kill.

6: Be wary of any supplies nearby. You never know where you will find a medic kit that you dearly need.

7: If on a building roof, and you come under fire, check the direction of fire indicators on screen. Too many times when I am a sniper do I see people just hide behind an object and stay still, hoping that i'm on the opposite side.
nelson496
+3|6787
be a spec op, use c4,<---cheap way to get more kills but effective

or be a sniper, but have a good hiding spot.  Dont hide in obvious places, like cranes.

you can prone or crouch, it improves your accuracy especially with the scope,or  ironsight

learn to switch between your primary adn secondary weapons real fast because either one of those can run out of ammo so you have to use the other.
CRIMS0N_W0LF
+21|6741
Just find a good squad with teamwork and stick with them. Slowly you're get good enough to be squad leader

Teamwork > Everything
A-Unit64
King Medic......
+23|6842
Try to play with higher ranking players. If you have seriously poor aim use the SAW or PKM, for the weapons.
If you have good aim use the sniper at far distance (you'll be able to pick lots of guys with the M--.
Ryan
+1,230|6845|Alberta, Canada

thanks guys, u helped me as well as BlackLegion im sure.
ronin1942
+-1|6845
all good sugestions definatly play with higher ranked/ better  players and watch how they play teamwork is key. come on over to http://www.bhbclan.com our ventrillo server is posted on there some where any of us will happy to play with you and help anyway we can.
Dr_3V|L
+51|6727|Twente, The Netherlands
Right, stick to the higher ranked players, and join a squad. Mostly teamwork there, you'll be able to see how the fighting goes. And learn from it.
taddzilla
+23|6845|Pembroke Pines, FL.
Dude, don't sweat it.  We were all no skilled noobs at one time, and it just takes practice.  As others have said, play in squads and work on your team work.  Don't worry about the stats, go for the team win.
BlackLegion42
+62|6732|Rochester, NY
Thanks, I don't really have time to play too much but I do want to become better for the time I can play.
Seth Infinite
+3|6741|Houston, The Republic of Texas

DUFFKING wrote:

7: If on a building roof, and you come under fire, check the direction of fire indicators on screen. Too many times when I am a sniper do I see people just hide behind an object and stay still, hoping that i'm on the opposite side.
"direction of fire indicators" What and where are these? I haven't ever noticed them and this is the first I've heard of them.
proJect
+0|6698
I'de give you the following advice:

Lay on the ground when u encounter an enemy soldier, then quickly type in PEACE!!!!!!!!!!! (with those spaces to reach the centre of the screen

Then ask him if he was planning on killing you, if the answer was yes, then kindly tell him that you have a gigantic problem in killing ppl etc.

Then make a nice request that you both climb to the top of building and then back up against him so that he can fall to his death.

Did it work for ya!? Just kiddin around, take that step dude! KILL KILL KILL!
Ub3r-ElitE
Teargas wh0re
+2|6722

Seth Infinite wrote:

DUFFKING wrote:

"direction of fire indicators" What and where are these? I haven't ever noticed them and this is the first I've heard of them.
When you get hit a red shade pops up on your screen and the side on which that shade is on shows from which direction the shot came.
the_ubernoob_
+8|6745
When you get shot 3 things happen.
1. you lose health.
2. you hear an "ackk ouch" like noise.
3. (this is the indicator one) a red arc appears on you screen towards the location of the guy shooting you.

I would post a screenshot of me getting shot but I don't know how (so heres a poorly drawn txt picture)

ex. you were shot by a guy on you left.

(
                               (
                             (
                            (                         +
                             (
                              (

end ex.  the + is your crosshairs.  The "(" are red and they are on the left of your crosshairs letting you know you are being shot by some guy to your left.

Don't forget that the medic is the one kit that can wimp out and run away around the next corner and heal himself before returning to the fight.

Last edited by the_ubernoob_ (2005-12-27 12:46:09)

idiotofwar
Jet Rammer
+4|6729|Debris From Space
Meh, I don't play for point's anymore, I play for fun. And since then, i've noticed my K/D ratio turn into a whole number. I've noticed i'm much better when I don't worry about getting kills.

Last edited by idiotofwar (2005-12-27 13:01:25)

deject
Got His War On
+37|6775|Golden, CO
Find a squad with about 3 or 4 people in it.  Do what your squad leader says, and NEVER EVER go somewhere first.  Until you're more comfortable with your abilities, it's a good idea to just support your teammates instead of trying to do the heavy lifting.  I die a lot because I try to do a lot of hard stuff.  I'll attack a CP on my own even if there are 10 enemies there.

Also being tricky can help a lot.  If you know all the routes to a particular location, use the one that gives you the best firing positions, the best cover, or the fastest route.  Getting to a flag undetected can give you the time you need to capture it alive.  Or if you're attacking a flag, attacking from multiple directions (even running to the other side of a building to attack) can keep them guessing where the next grenade will be coming from.    Flanking the enemy is still the easiest way to take them out.  Always get behind or to the side of an enemy if it's possible.  Getting shot from behind can be very disorienting which will give you a big advantage.

If you're being pursued, my favorite tactic is to run behind a building and wait for the enemy to approach.  If you time it right you can jump out before he gets there, usually thinking that you're probably running away.  By jumping out, you've screwed up his timing and you also have a better idea of where your attacker is.  Also, throwing grenades at the corner you came from is highly effective.
private_boris
+0|6726|Antwerp (Belgium)
Hi BlackLegion42,

As a suggestion I would say:

Try to find out what you are doing wrong or what others do better... than try to improve or copy those moves.
You have to take into account you can't do all those things all others can together. You have to select some abilities yourself. There are many different roles you can play and ALL are necessary and important.

For instance:
- if you don't know what to do or where to run to (which is normal for a beginner)
=> join a squad as one of the support classes (supply, engineer, medic)
Which class depends on the requirements of the respective squad but also of the map. In my humble opinion, Karkand requires more supply classes than any other (as a support for the anti tank class for example).

- if your reflexes are not that good...
=> avoid the spec ops class because he has less armor (so you 'll die sooner)
=> avoid direct contact and close courters where you expect resistance
=> try the sniper class

- if you can't aim that well...
=> be a medic and stay a bit behind the first line of fire
=> be an engineer and drive around (2 engineers in 2 different vehicles can repair each other while firing)
=> use a bigger gun

(the above also applies, if you've a laggy internet connection...)

CONCLUSION: "FOCUS and be PATIENT."

'focus' meaning: Try to find out the things you ar good at, train them and become better. AVOID a bit the things your are bad at.

And I have to give you credit for outing like this though !

I hope this helped,
boris

ps: others will have other opinions... I wont pretend my ideas are the best, so try to filter out what you can use. Don't try to memorise everything at once...FOCUS !
DRB_Black
+0|6716|Sacramento, California
Hey Blacklegion,  just so you know, I have a K/D of  0.29.  You're way better than me.  At BF2 I'm at the bottom of the gene pool.  LOL,  what the hell, I'm having fun anyway.  Lots of good tips here thanks fellas.
HMM! think I'll change my nick to Arty Magnet he he.

Last edited by DRB_Black (2005-12-27 14:06:43)

BlackLegion42
+62|6732|Rochester, NY
Those are good advice. I have poor reflexes and aiming lol, tired everything from changing mouse sensitivity to hiding and running away like a wuss... go me...

EDIT: I do get occasionally by my effing WiFi connection but that seems to be unlikely for my poor abilities to fight.

Last edited by BlackLegion42 (2005-12-27 13:54:03)

DUFFKING
Insert witty comment here
+3|6760|Brixham, UK
Running away like a wuss can work, if you are a medic or a sniper. Medic can run away get healed, then ambush the player that chases him. Snipers can run away, then drop a claymore just out of view, so the chasing enemy runs into it.
Tom_CDN
+0|6724
Don't sweat your score or k/d too much. You aren't the only one who has k/d < 1 Play on a squad and concentrate on helping your team win - you'll have fun and stop worrying about your stats.
idiotofwar
Jet Rammer
+4|6729|Debris From Space
Keeping a cool head and laying down works. Try and sneak up on a player, rather than run at him guns blazing. I wiped out an entire six man squad by sneaking up behind them, going prone and knifing them one by one.
bgthigfist
+0|6807

BlackLegion42 wrote:

Look, I suck and I do admit it. I try my best to be better at killing people, but I just can't do it. If I could be better, I would be a Staff Sergeant by now and got more awards than I do right now. I just have two questions to help me feel better and (be)come a better player.

1) Does anyone else have a 0.37 K/D ratio around here?

2) Can anyone help me become better in combat (mostly infantry) player?

Any suggestions is appreciated. I hate being the worst and now I am trying to not become the worst.
Hey buddy,

Don't worry.  There will always be somebody who sucks more than you.  My buddy TOCrat has a lower KDR (.25), and has been blaming it on his ancient computer.  He's getting a new gaming machine in a couple of days and is looking foreward to improvement.  I have promised to knife him repeatedly when he comes back.  Try armor whoring to raise your KDR (if you can get good at it), or just work on getting better at support roles.  Medics, Engineers, and Supply Guys can have a pivital function in battles if they pay attention and are in the right place at the right time.  Most of all, enjoy yourself.  Ammuse yourself Jihad Jeeping, or sneaking in and claymoring enemy spawns...
BlackLegion42
+62|6732|Rochester, NY
Ya, but I don't want to a "whore" or something. Even if I try, I still can't achieve that status.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard