dh124289
Anything but what it is now!
+11|6699
Hi all,

Our auto admin on 24/7 Karkand - DVA Squad BF2 - DVA`3 banned two players recently for using a banned word. However after reviewing the context, I have lifted the bans because the two players in question did nothing wrong...

Shadowtech666 banned for saying "nazi". Context = "German and Nazi are not the same thing"

He was responding to a taunt from another player... and was unfortunately nailed by the auto-admin.

Pedikameter banned for saying "nazi". Context = "DARTHNAZI GET BACK!!!!"

He was talking to this guy... http://www.bf2s.com/player/17666670/

If anyone here knows either of these two players, please let them know that their bans have been lifted and they are welcome on our server anytime.

=DVA= Claymore
www.dvasquad.com
majorassult
I <3 ak101
+307|6685|under there hayousaidunderwear
So you have the word nazi in your name but ban it on your server...?
specxops
Banned
+18|6673|Boca Raton,Florida
wwho cares?
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6542|Adelaide, South Australia

specxops wrote:

wwho cares?
Not you, so STFU.
l41e
+677|6671

majorassult wrote:

/smacks you

He's not "DARTHNAZi". Someone else is.
ShadowFoX
I Hate Claymores
+109|6554
Why do you have auto admin do that? What other words do you ban? Atleast kick them not ban them if you find that word offensive.
oChaos.Haze
+90|6461
The word nazi seems like a strange word to ban for in the first place.   There's nothing derogatory with that word in and of itself.  Now acting like a nazi, or professing nazi views, that seems bannable.
DecJW
Webhoster
+38|6607
Pfft....I hate language filters. Im glad our server has it turned off. How many 10 year olds havent heard the word "fuck" or "shit" ???
dh124289
+11|6699

majorassult wrote:

As k30dxedle said, I'm not DARTHNAZi....

ShadowFoX wrote:

Why do you have auto admin do that? What other words do you ban? Atleast kick them not ban them if you find that word offensive.
One of our server rules is no bigoted or racist language. The only other instant-bannable word is N****R (as in the racist term).

oChaos.Haze wrote:

The word nazi seems like a strange word to ban for in the first place.   There's nothing derogatory with that word in and of itself.  Now acting like a nazi, or professing nazi views, that seems bannable.
That's why we review the auto-ban reasons.... I don't have bf2cc in front of me at the moment but IIRC from about 20-30 bans only those two were using the word in a non-derogatory manner. The rest were using it as a term or abuse, sometimes in combination with the other banned word... e.g. "STFU COMMANDER U NAZI N****R" or this guy, who really takes the prize...

A_Special_Force banned for saying "nazi". Context = "WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE THERE WERE NO SNIPER ****ERS ONLY CRAZY NAZI HOOKERS ABDUCTED BY UFO'S AND FORCED INTO WEIGHTLOSS PROGRAMS"

So unless Ken Livingstone starts playing BF2 I doubt anyone is going to take us to court for banning the use of the word nazi on our server..
alien-DSW-Gen
Hates snipers and says the "F" word a lot
+72|6696|Houston, Texas
The ironic part is word filters are a nazi like control on the players.
Nikola Bathory
Karkand T-90 0wnage
+163|6809|Bulgaria
Hey, I play on this server
24/7 Karkand - DVA Squad BF2 - DVA`3 is cool, Karkand 0wnZ!1
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6545
language filter ftl. i go on servers and i know they are there yet i still cuss and get kicked all the damn time.
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6588|England

alien-DSW-Gen wrote:

The ironic part is word filters are a nazi like control on the players.
QFT
TigerXtrm
Death by Indecency
+51|6391|Netherlands

I can't even begin to guess as to how many times I've been kicked for saying 'fuck'. Isn't this supposed to be an adult rated game with adult players? Why can't I say fuck when someone spawncamps me for trazilioned fucking time!

And since when are German and Nazi two different things? (JK!!) Seriously though the Germands were Nazis in WW2...

Tiger
Cbass
Kick His Ass!
+371|6717|Howell, Mi USA
Language filters are annoying, it's not like the in game chat really stands out. I don't pay attention to it half the time. But it really sucks being kicked for calling someone a bitch boy when they complain about being shot down or spawnraped.

Like Tiger says. It's an adult game, lets start acting like it. The big bad sware words won't hurt anyone.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/bb53a522780eff5b30ba3252d44932cc2f5b8c4f.png
ReTox
+100|6522|State of RETOXification
Banning for any word that has a valid context for its use will fail every time.  Swearing, sexism, and racism are really the only ones that can be automatically trapped for with any relative confidence.

I applaud DVA's diligence in reviewing the logs and lifting an obvious mistake due to context.  Stand up thing to try to contact the players as well!  Most clans would have lifted the ban and that's it.

https://members.shaw.ca/retox/thumbsup.png
ReTox
+100|6522|State of RETOXification

TigerXtrm wrote:

Seriously though the Germans were Nazis in WW2...

Tiger
That's actually, and sadly, a common misconception through ignorance of the facts.  Ignorance in this context being that you don't know, it's not meant as an insult.  I'm hoping this will help enlighten you.

The Germans were not Nazis in WW2.  The Nazis were a political party that created military and policing departments.  Unless you belonged to the actual political wing, the SS, or the Gestapo you WERE NOT a Nazi... even if you voted them into power!  The actual number of people who belonged to the party was small and the inner circle of that party was only a handful of people.

The military was the last thing the Nazi party tried to take over and control and they never really did it.  The SS was part of the military but they only made up a small amount of Germany's total forces.  Most of the war was fought against the regular army.  Although the SS/Hitler Youth fought throughout the war their secondary role was as "commissars" against those regular army soldiers (motivation through fear).

The allied soldiers that went knew the difference.  Just ask the regiments that went up against the Waffen SS.  There was a serious difference between a fight with the regular army and fight with the Nazis.  The Brits had it straight, calling the Nazis... well Nazis, and the regulars "Jerries".

So I'm hoping you won't call the Germans, even in the context of WWII, Nazis anymore.  I doubt you would call every single person in the US a Republican just because that party is currently in the top spot.  If you are discussing Nazis then by all means use the word.

Regards.
Greenboi
+14|6390
the worst are the language filters that kick/ban for stuff like "stfu" or "ffs", they get right on my tits
david363
Crotch fires and you: the untold story
+314|6762|Comber, Northern Ireland
or get banned for cockpit
Greenspan
Fed. Chairman (Ret.)
+12|6510
hunh? is this a joke?

what makes you think they even read the forums, much less see this specific topic. It's like starting a forum topic to call someone you saw in game a noob; there's about 1/billion chance they'll see the topic. I think you'd have more sucess posting on your clan's website, or using BF2s to find them in game.

I appriciate you keeping us informed of your server ban/unban list, but we really don't care.

Maybe this will be a lesson that simply auto-banning people for saying a word is a stupid way to moderate your server?

Last edited by Greenspan (2006-12-07 16:03:46)

dh124289
+11|6699

Greenspan wrote:

hunh? is this a joke?
No.

what makes you think they even read the forums, much less see this specific topic. It's like starting a forum topic to call someone you saw in game a noob; there's about 1/billion chance they'll see the topic. I think you'd have more sucess posting on your clan's website, or using BF2s to find them in game.
What makes you think they won't, or that someone who knows them won't see it and tell them? This here is one of the largest BF2 communities in the world... Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon FTW!!

Already managed to get word to Pedikameter that his ban has been lifted.

I appriciate you keeping us informed of your server ban/unban list, but we really don't care.
Funny that, you cared enough to post that you didn't care. And I thought women were complicated...

Maybe this will be a lesson that simply auto-banning people for saying a word is a stupid way to moderate your server?
Admins can't be online 24/7, and the auto-ban has done a pretty good job. Out of 39 auto-bans only two were for innocent usage of the word nazi...

Last edited by dh124289 (2006-12-08 12:10:15)

oChaos.Haze
+90|6461
Anyone else been kicked for language, only to reenter said server, and completely forget 5 more times about the filter?  Most of my kicks come from situations like these.
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6434|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.

oChaos.Haze wrote:

Anyone else been kicked for language, only to reenter said server, and completely forget 5 more times about the filter?  Most of my kicks come from situations like these.
Had that happen to me. I got kicked for saying "LMAO", rejoined, and started the next round.
There was a friendly tank capping the Farm on Zatar, but the UAV showed a contact there. I drive over with my APC and see an American laying on the tank. I shoot him and type out "LMAO!!! I LOVE THE HIDING SPOT!"
Got kicked again .

Rejoined and kept my mouth shut for the rest of the game. Stupid filter.
TuataraDude
+115|6545|Aotearoa

ReTox wrote:

I applaud DVA's diligence in reviewing the logs and lifting an obvious mistake due to context.  Stand up thing to try to contact the players as well!  Most clans would have lifted the ban and that's it.
Agreed, at least they are accepting they have made a mistake, looking to correct it and then go out of their way to try and inform those people.

One thing though, being new to the idea of language filters, how come it kicked someone for mentioning the players name that had Nazi in it, yet it did not pick up the name at the beginning and not even allow him/her in? Do these filters only look at communication logs and not players names?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard