sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina
Interesting article from www.foreignpolicy.com

Ask any foreign-policy expert how the West will know it is winning the war on terror, and the likely response will be, “When the Islamic world rejects radicalism.” But just who are Muslim radicals, and what fuels their fury? Every politician has a theory: Radicals are religious fundamentalists. They are poor. They are full of hopelessness and hate. But those theories are wrong.  Based on a new Gallup World Poll of more than 9,000 interviews in nine Muslim countries, we find that Muslim radicals have more in common with their moderate brethren than is often assumed. If the West wants to reach the extremists, and empower the moderate Muslim majority, it must first recognize who it’s up against.

The Poll:

Radical Muslims vs. Moderate Muslims:

Note:
Respondents who said 9/11 was unjustified (1 or 2 on a 5-point scale, where 1 is totally unjustified and 5 is completely justified) are classified as moderates. Respondents who said 9/11 was justified (4 or 5 on the same scale) are classified as radicals. The data for this poll were obtained during 2005-06 from Bangladesh, Egypt, Indonesia, Iran, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia. Approximately 1,000 in-home interviews were conducted in each country. The sampling mix of urban and rural areas is the statistical equivalent of surveying each nation’s adult population, with a statistical sampling error rate of +/- 3 percent.

Fundamentally Similar:

Because terrorists often hijack Islamic precepts for their own ends, pundits and politicians in the West sometimes portray Islam as a religion of terrorism. They often charge that religious fervor triggers radical and violent views. But the data say otherwise: There is no significant difference in religiosity between moderates and radicals. In fact, radicals are no more likely to attend religious services regularly than are moderates.

1-Is Religion an important part of your life?
People who said YES:
Radicals 92%
Moderates 91%

2-Have you attended to religious services in the past week?
People who said YES:
Radicals 56%
Moderates 59%

The Radically Rich:

It’s no secret that many in the Muslim world suffer from crippling poverty and lack of education. But are radicals any poorer than their fellow Muslims? We found the opposite: There is indeed a key difference between radicals and moderates when it comes to income and education, but it is the radicals who earn more and who stay in school longer.

3-Primary School or less
Radicals 23%
Moderates 34%

4-Secondary School through University
Radicals 44%
Moderates 38%

5-Low or Very Low Income
Radicals 22%
Moderates 31%

6-Above-Average or Very High Income
Radicals 25%
Moderates 21%

A Hopeful Future:

Whenever a suicide bomber completes a deadly mission, the act is often attributed to hopelessness—the inability to find a job, earn a living, or support a family. But the politically radical are not more “hopeless” than the mainstream. More radicals expressed satisfaction with their financial situation and quality of life than their moderate counterparts, and a majority of them expected to be better off in the years to come.

7-Where do you expect to be in the next 5 years?

Worse off
Radicals 7%
Moderates 7%

Better off
Radicals 53%
Moderates 44%

Extreme Esteem:

The war on terror is premised on a key question: Why do they hate us? The common answer from Washington is that Muslim radicals hate our way of life, our freedom, and our democracy. Not so. Both moderates and radicals in the Muslim world admire the West, in particular its technology, democratic system, and freedom of speech.

8-Most Admired Aspects about the West:

Western Technology (top response from both groups)
Radicals 30%
Moderates 31%

Liberty/Democracy/Freedom of Speech (second-most response)
Radicals 22%
Moderates 22%

The Way Forward:

What, then, separates a Muslim moderate from a Muslim radical? Although almost all Muslims believe the West should show more respect for Islam, radicals are more likely to feel that the West threatens and attempts to control their way of life. Moderates, on the other hand, are more eager to build ties with the West through economic development. This divergence of responses offers policymakers a key opportunity to develop strategies to prevent the moderate mainstream from sliding away, and to check the persuasive power of those who would do us harm.

9-What can the West Do to Improve Relations?

Respect Islam (top response from both groups)
Radicals 39%
Moderates 36%

Refrain from Interfering or Imposing its Beliefs and Policies
Radicals 17%

Economic Development/Jobs
Moderates 22%

Note:
Respondents who said 9/11 was unjustified (1 or 2 on a 5-point scale, where 1 is totally unjustified and 5 is completely justified) are classified as moderates. Respondents who said 9/11 was justified (4 or 5 on the same scale) are classified as radicals. The data for this poll were obtained during 2005-06 from Bangladesh, Egypt, Indonesia, Iran, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia. Approximately 1,000 in-home interviews were conducted in each country. The sampling mix of urban and rural areas is the statistical equivalent of surveying each nation’s adult population, with a statistical sampling error rate of +/- 3 percent.
usmarine2007
Banned
+374|6337|Columbus, Ohio
What Makes a Muslim Radical?   Blind faith in relegion.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina

usmarine2007 wrote:

What Makes a Muslim Radical?   Blind faith in relegion.
You read very fast.
Jinto-sk
Laid Back Yorkshireman
+183|6561|Scarborough Yorkshire England
Base jumping
skate boarding
surfing
calling people dude
and saying rad all the time
Fancy_Pollux
Connoisseur of Fine Wine
+1,306|6616

Jinto-sk wrote:

Base jumping
skate boarding
surfing
calling people dude
and saying rad all the time
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6489|Πάϊ
...and by radicals we mean those who do what exactly?
ƒ³
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6706|Salt Lake City

They probably got dropped on their head a few too many times as children.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6415|The Land of Scott Walker

oug wrote:

Blowing things up and/or killing people to make a statement for their religion has to figure into the radical side somewhere.  I would say radical is defined by using what I previously mentioned as the primary tools to spread their religion.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina

Stingray24 wrote:

oug wrote:

Blowing things up and/or killing people to make a statement for their religion has to figure into the radical side somewhere.  I would say radical is defined by using what I previously mentioned as the primary tools to spread their religion.
In this case Gallup defined radicals the following way:
Respondents who said 9/11 was unjustified (1 or 2 on a 5-point scale, where 1 is totally unjustified and 5 is completely justified) are classified as moderates. Respondents who said 9/11 was justified (4 or 5 on the same scale) are classified as radicals.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6706|Salt Lake City

No, no, no.  I figured out what it is.  It is the Playdough bomb belt they got as children!
TigerXtrm
Death by Indecency
+51|6338|Netherlands

If people (not just Muslims, there are radical christians too) are willing to (mass) kill others for their believe, that's radical... and stupid.

Tiger
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6519|Southeastern USA
of all the religions out there, islam is the most mentally deficient of all, what sort of dumbass wants a world where you would have to hang jessica simpson for her daisy duke wardrobe?

Last edited by kr@cker (2006-12-04 11:38:11)

smtt686
this is the best we can do?
+95|6601|USA
Are all radicals muslim?
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6692|Eastern PA

kr@cker wrote:

of all the religions out there, islam is the most mentally deficient of all, what sort of dumbass wants a world wear you would have to hang jessica simpson for her daisy duke wardrobe?
What about hanging her for her gawd awful acting?
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6519|Southeastern USA
who cares, as long as she keeps dressing like that!!
Masques
Black Panzer Party
+184|6692|Eastern PA

kr@cker wrote:

But she has a butt-chin...ewww!
Stingray24

kr@cker wrote:

of all the religions out there, islam is the most mentally deficient of all, what sort of dumbass wants a world where you would have to hang jessica simpson for her daisy duke wardrobe?
God created women nude, they should stay that way. *dodges elbow from wife*
Stingray24

Masques wrote:

kr@cker wrote:

But she has a butt-chin...ewww!
Nothing about her is eeeew except her singing and acting.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

Interesting poll, and interesting results.  I don't know if I could base the definition of a radical Muslim off whether or not he/she thought the WTC Bombings were justified.  I think that is a little too broad of a definition.
Stingray24

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Interesting poll, and interesting results.  I don't know if I could base the definition of a radical Muslim off whether or not he/she thought the WTC Bombings were justified.  I think that is a little too broad of a definition.
So how would you define radical?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

Stingray24 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Someone unwilling to change, have an open mind, understand that society must progress.  Someone who forces their beliefs on you, who does not respect you if you have different views.

That's a good start in my opinion.  I know it is hard to pin those down in a poll, but seriously, the only thing that defines them as a radical is whether or not they thought the 9/11 attacks were justified?  I think there could be radicals that thought 9/11 was not justified.
Stingray24

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

. . .I think there could be radicals that thought 9/11 was not justified.
Possible.  Perhaps we should further qualify things with militant radicals: those who advocate the use of violence to advance their religion.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

Stingray24 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

. . .I think there could be radicals that thought 9/11 was not justified.
Possible.  Perhaps we should further qualify things with militant radicals: those who advocate the use of violence to advance their religion.
I think that would qualify for any radical- Anyone who uses violence to impose their ideals/ideas on another.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6727|Argentina

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Stingray24 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Someone unwilling to change, have an open mind, understand that society must progress.  Someone who forces their beliefs on you, who does not respect you if you have different views.

That's a good start in my opinion.  I know it is hard to pin those down in a poll, but seriously, the only thing that defines them as a radical is whether or not they thought the 9/11 attacks were justified?  I think there could be radicals that thought 9/11 was not justified.
Gallup needed a way to determine if a person's radical, then they made this question.  Of course, it isn't the most accurate way, but it's the easiest.

Last edited by sergeriver (2006-12-04 12:30:31)

Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England
So in other words, what makes a muslim a radical is one who beleives 9/11 was justified, becuase they're equal on everything else except that. Well that's pretty darn diddly obvious.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard