_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6748|Riva, MD
I've heard it's quite benficial to the entire computer and am wondering what it would require to upgrade to it.  I still have an ATA hard drive and the loading is slower than a lot of people and I would really like to upgrade.
WarriorDave
+10|6401|Louisville, Ky
What does it take?
Making sure your motherbard has SATA ports. (I know, I know, stupid instruction, but you'd be surprised, some people have bought SATA hard drives and their motherboard not have any SATA ports!)
Slipstreaming SP2 onto a CD with Windows XP.
Installing Windows XP again, reloading all drivers, programs, ect.
I suggest RAID_0 for even more performance!
For RAID, you'll need a RAID driver boot disk when installing XP. (F6 at the beginning, it'll prompt you for it.)
The hard drives I like and suggest for all my peoples:
250GB:
500GB:
Hope that helps.

Edit: Damned amateur typing skills!

Last edited by WarriorDave (2006-11-27 13:44:33)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6803|PNW

You don't have to reinstall Windows. If you've properly maintained your old installation, you can just mirror your copy over to the new drive (giving it the old drive letter), and then erase the old one or keep it around as a backup. Western Digital has free tools that accomplishes this easily.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-11-27 13:52:01)

Brasso
+1,549|6661

What are the benefits of having a SATA drive vs. a PATA?
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6803|PNW

haffeysucks wrote:

What are the benefits of having a SATA drive vs. a PATA?
Nominally better response and transfer time, as well as smaller cables, allowing for better airflow. Also, they usually cost about the same as IDE drives of equivalent storage capacity, so the proper question would be: why not buy a SATA drive rather than a PATA one?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-11-27 13:59:23)

Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6470|King Of The Islands

SATA has more bandwidth than PATA. Larger drives usually have a faster burst access rate.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
WarriorDave
+10|6401|Louisville, Ky
Newbie, while effective, I don't like mirroring old installs. While you're right, it's not required to reinstall Windows, I always do.
PATA was originally named IDE.
To date, there is no IDE drive that is capable of reaching 80MB/sec transfer rate.
The maximum transfer rate on the PCI bus is only 133MB/sec.
The maximum transfer rate of SATA is 150MB/sec, while SATA2 is 300MB/sec.
I think the most direct benefit is speed.
leftoverkiller
+9|6494
if your motherboard has sata ports you need to find out are they sata 1.5's or 3.0's. if your board supports 1.5 sata the benefits are very little. ( my gigabyte board is about a year and a half old and only supports 1.5) i changed over to sata drives and the only real benefit was the smaller cables over the wide ide cables giving me better airflow. i have heard some rumors of a faster sata 4.0 coming out after the release of vista. don't know if its true but a few months ago PC gamer had a small article about it.  but after building a friends machine with sata 3.0 hard drives and sata CD ROM drives i am convinced that sata is the way to go . his machine is fast as hell. put a disk in the CD ROM drive and the installation of games was cut in half.  the pairing of sata CD and hard drives is amazing. remember a sata hard drive can only take in as much as it is supplied by the CD ROM drive. once the program is installed it is also faster on game loading times.  like someone said above  "why not buy a SATA drive rather than a PATA one?" is true. if you are building a new system GO SATA IDE IS ALMOST DEAD . but if your board doesn't support it you are stuck with the IDE style.
Cheez

leftoverkiller wrote:

sata CD ROM drives
WTF? How much did that cost?
CrazeD
+368|6704|Maine
You don't need to have SATA ports on your motherboard. You can always pick up a SATA controller to put in a PCI slot.
leftoverkiller
+9|6494
true i forgot about buying a controller. and a sata cd rom combo drive ( cd-rw / dvd rom about 30 bucks and a sata dvd burner about 100 bucks from newegg( dvd burner  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6827249006   cd rom combo  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6827106040  ) they are almost 3 times as fast as the ide units and can be a bit tricky to install on a new system. i would recomend at least 1 to use for installing large progroams from a dvd disk Ect... bf2141. only took anout 10 min. to install

Last edited by leftoverkiller (2006-11-27 14:42:13)

Cheez

$105 US? Nah, thanks. I'll use mini-images.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6803|PNW

Cheez wrote:

leftoverkiller wrote:

sata CD ROM drives
They cost about as much as three regular CD-ROM drives. Plextor makes them (as far as I'm aware, it's an exclusive), and there have been a few reports as to instability.

WarriorDave wrote:

Newbie, while effective, I don't like mirroring old installs. While you're right, it's not required to reinstall Windows, I always do.
So do I, but only when dealing with radically-different hardware, or a cluttered OS.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-11-27 15:16:02)

Cheez

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Cheez wrote:

leftoverkiller wrote:

sata CD ROM drives
They cost about as much as three regular CD-ROM drives. Plextor makes them (as far as I'm aware, it's an exclusive), and there have been a few reports as to instability.
SOLD!
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6748|Riva, MD
Looks like i'm fucked with this IDE piece of shit until I get a new computer which probably won't be for a year or more.  I don't think i've never even used a computer with SATA.  This sucks.  Unless I decide to replace one of my occupied PCI with a SATA controller card.  Is it really that worth it though?
Cheez

WarriorDave wrote:

To date, there is no IDE drive that is capable of reaching 80MB/sec transfer rate.
There's still an improvement, but not as much as pure SATA controllers on the mobo. Still you could buy the controller and later when you upgrade, you've got the SATA drive ready to go into the mobo, and ditch the controller.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6748|Riva, MD

Cheez wrote:

WarriorDave wrote:

There's still an improvement, but not as much as pure SATA controllers on the mobo. Still you could buy the controller and later when you upgrade, you've got the SATA drive ready to go into the mobo, and ditch the controller.
It's an OEM so swapping motherboards might not be such a good idea.
Cheez

I didn't say swap the boards now, I meant when and if you upgrade, get a board with SATA. But as an interim you could get a PCI controller card and the SATA drive so when you upgrade you can plug the drive right in.

EDIT: After re-reading this its all jiberish.

1. Buy PCI Controller card
2. Buy SATA Drive
3. Plug card into mobo, drive into controller card
4. Wait($however_long)
5. Upgrade - Buy new mobo
6. Plug drive straight in.

Last edited by Cheez (2006-11-27 18:09:07)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6748|Riva, MD
I suppose this would explain why it still takes me 2 minutes to load a game of BF2 even though I have 2GB of RAM.
t2krambo
Banned
+99|6558|Panama

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

You don't have to reinstall Windows. If you've properly maintained your old installation, you can just mirror your copy over to the new drive (giving it the old drive letter), and then erase the old one or keep it around as a backup. Western Digital has free tools that accomplishes this easily.
Is that really possible, just copy the windows folder over to the new drive, giving the new drive the new letter, plugging the old one out, and then the new one in and lets roll?

Is this really possible
t2krambo
Banned
+99|6558|Panama
Unnamednewbie13, could you give me the link to the tool of WD to copy?

Thanks a lot man!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard