kebabking
+14|6412|Brisbane, AUstralia
Hey how are you all doing! Well i have noticed in the last month or so my computer 1) is making a lot of noise and 2) some times (u know that light at the front when it is processing something) well stays on for a while. Now my specs are P4 3.2gz 2gb ddr2 ram and i have a 120gb hard drive also a x600 pro ati viedo card. Like as of now as i am typing this the computer tower which is next to my screen on the desk is making a constant noise i dont know if it is the fan or what? any help would be appreciated. Thanks kebab! and ill give you +1 for helping or +2 whatever.
DeCon_1
+16|6529|Atlanta, Georga U.S.A.
Now it could either be the fan on the CPU heatsink, the fan on the x600 video card, a case fan, or the hard drive. If you want to pin point the source of the noise I would open the case up and start playing some games. When the P.C. goes under full load the fans on most of the components will go to the max and you should be able to find where the noise is coming from. I wouldn't rule out that your hard drive could be making the noise either.
Towelly
It's A State Of Mind
+399|6599|Your attic
First, hello I am well thank you.

The little light you see flickering on the front of your PC is the HD access light, essentially whenever your OS is delving into your HD for some information this will flash and you will also hear a clicking sound, this is perfectly normal. If however it is making much louder or different noises then you could be in a little trouble, in extreme circumstances the HD could be near corruption. If so I would suggest having it looked at by a technician of some sort. If it is at this extreme end it will be a matter of buying a new HD (they're cheep) and copying the info over.

Another possibility is that something has lodged itself in the fans of your computer, if you know what you are doing disconnect the PC from any electrical sockets, open it up and check the fans, make sure there is nothing coming into contact with the blades.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6579|USA

Towelly wrote:

First, hello I am well thank you.

The little light you see flickering on the front of your PC is the HD access light, essentially whenever your OS is delving into your HD for some information this will flash and you will also hear a clicking sound, this is perfectly normal. If however it is making much louder or different noises then you could be in a little trouble, in extreme circumstances the HD could be near corruption. If so I would suggest having it looked at by a technician of some sort. If it is at this extreme end it will be a matter of buying a new HD (they're cheep) and copying the info over.

Another possibility is that something has lodged itself in the fans of your computer, if you know what you are doing disconnect the PC from any electrical sockets, open it up and check the fans, make sure there is nothing coming into contact with the blades.
winner.

DeCon would have won but was too generic.

your prize? nothing.
r2zoo
Knowledge is power, guard it well
+126|6604|Michigan, USA
Often overlooked by casual computer users is the dust factor.  Make sure all your air vents on the case as well as your fans are clear of dust.  Having dust in the air intakes can cause the fans to work harder, as less air is getting through, resulting in the fan working harder, which can lead to them burning out(like my old geforce 2 did ).  Checking for this might not even require opening the case if your not that computer savy.

Last edited by r2zoo (2006-11-25 17:44:49)

Contract_Killa
+70|6377|Australia, A.C.T
Get your computer tower cleaned at a proffessional computer shop with compressed air.

Same thing happened to me a while ago and i got it cleaned. Now its super quiet.
Bell
Frosties > Cornflakes
+362|6557|UK

FAN!  Similar system here m8 and I get that problem constantly, also thought it had something to do with the CPU heatsink, but upon investigating I noticed my fan was going so dam fast it could cut diamonds!  Same symptoms and my solution was to bring in a bit of a low-tech solution (temporary) a big dam house fan to sit next to the computer, and i put it in a less heated room......  It sucks I know but if I hadn't of done it my machine would be completely dead by now.  If your keeping that computer I can only suggest extra computer cooling systems, but if like me your getting rid of it soon then just try and deal with it.

Martyn
kebabking
okay thankyou for your help so far! I got the vaccum out and took out as much dust as i could. Now i have pin pointed it to the front of the tower where there is a fn that brings air in and also the cpu fan i believe? So any more ideas?
kebab
DeCon_1
Do you have any compressed air cans around or a air compressor pump? You can blow the dust out of the fans that way and wont cause no damage to anything. I use a compresses air pump because I got tired of going out and buying cans of compressed air. You should be able to get ride of the noise from the fans that way because a vacuum cleaner cannot get the dust out from inside the fan bearings.
kebabking
Decon thanx for that! i migt go and try that out and see if it fixes the problem!
DeCon_1
You can usually buy compressed air cans at Super Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, CompUSA, or any one stop shopping center and electronics retailer. But if you use a compressed air pump you have to be careful because the air pressure in a air pump is much greater than that in the air cans. I made the mistake of letting out the full force of my compressed air pump and blew off a fan blade from one of my 120mm fans.
kebabking
Okay thanks for that tip. i was just checking out your new rig, is all those fans gonna be noisy or what?
DeCon_1
Actually its very quite for whats in it. 2x 250mm, 3x 120mm, 3x 80mm(2 in PSU, 1 in CPU Heatsink).
kebabking
okay i was just on speed fan and when 1 of the fans is up on 90% thats when the noise is how it is but when i put it down to 30% it fixed the problem? how do i know what to put it to for best cvooling?
DeCon_1
Well you only need to turn the fans on high when playing games. When at the desktop you can leave the fans on low.
kebabking
is my desired temps? 122f?
DeCon_1
Idle temp for the GPU should be 40 to 50 degrees centigrade, the CPU should be idle at 30 to 45 depending on what CPU you have, and the system should stay at the range of 40 to 60 degrees centigrade at the most.
kebabking
okay well when i close or even unistall the thing called speedfan the fans automatically go at 100% and are noisy, its the cpu fan that is the culprut.
DeCon_1
Well I don't use speed fan software but a Zalman Fan controller so I can manually set the speed myself.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard