lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

TheCanadianTerrorist wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

I'll have to agree with the defensive answer.  They are pretty slow, and man, they're a pain in the ass to move, but they would be good at just unloading on approaching enemies.
Who said they have to be slow?

Metal Gear Rex anyone?
A nice pair of AIR JORDANS and they would be practically unstoppable.

Last edited by lowing (2006-11-24 21:10:20)

RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6398|NSW, Australia

all i know is i wouldnt want it to step on me
xX[Elangbam]Xx
+107|6690
It's possible and it will eventually happen. Look at all the robots that are being made in Japan. Just look it up on YouTube.

Personally, I want a Gundam. Even if it costs 500 trillion dollars
BVC
+325|6688

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

yes because they would still hover after copping a grenade underneath
Why would anyone design a hovertank that couldn't take a grenade underneath?
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо
+826|6511|Adelaide, South Australia

Pubic wrote:

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

yes because they would still hover after copping a grenade underneath
Why would anyone design a hovertank that couldn't take a grenade underneath?
a better question is "HOW do you design something that hovers, yet still armour-plate the underside?"
A-Unit64
King Medic......
+23|6833
what else is it going to be the fastest way around town?
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо

A-Unit64 wrote:

what else is it going to be the fastest way around town?
A car?
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6709|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
For it to be an effective war machine it would have to:
1.  Have a reliable way to maintain its balance.
2.  Have a acceptable fuel source (getting a ## ton machine to walk is going to eat up alot of energy).
3.  Have a way to be able to fire accurately and maintain it's balance while firing.
If those three goals are met, then there's no reason a walker couldn't be practical.

Edit:  Typos

Last edited by mcgid1 (2006-11-24 21:31:57)

Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо

i vote sticky, although this may be better off in the Junk Drawer.

Last edited by Fenris_GreyClaw (2006-11-24 21:29:42)

LT.Victim
+1,175|6555|British Columbia, Canada
They look cool and everything, but its just not practical.

I still think that Tanks and things with wheels are the way to go.

Faster, more reliable, Easier to mantain, Easier to build, they don't need all the stabilizers and computing power to stay upright compared to Tanks..

You also have to consider the fact that Walkers rumble the ground alot when walking.

That could be used against them in warfare..
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6521|Global Command
Its all about air power.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

ATG wrote:

Its all about air power.
NO ATG..IT is all about Air Jordans..........I am tellin' ya, I have seen the commercials, put those things on the mechs and tactical superiority is ASSURED!!! Rendering airpower obsolete.
Miller
IT'S MILLER TIME!
+271|6748|United States of America

lowing wrote:

ATG wrote:

Its all about air power.
NO ATG..IT is all about Air Jordans..........I am tellin' ya, I have seen the commercials, put those things on the mechs and tactical superiority is ASSURED!!! Rendering airpower obsolete.
I wanna get a pair o' those!!!
Sgt_Sieg
"Bow Chicka Bow Wow." The correct way.
+89|6767

Miller wrote:

lowing wrote:

ATG wrote:

Its all about air power.
Ask the Santa Bunny
https://geekent.com/blog/archives/pics/omfg-thumb.jpg
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA
LMAO.....holly shit!!!!!!!!!!
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо

Sgt_Sieg wrote:

Miller wrote:

lowing wrote:

Ask the Santa Bunny
http://geekent.com/blog/archives/pics/omfg-thumb.jpg
Damn! i already Karma'd you.....
GotMex?
$623,493,674,868,715.98 in Debt
+193|6755

Uhh, I would've thought this one was obvious. You can program a Mech Walker to stomp on a troop, or even a smaller vehicle... not so much for tanks. I'd be more scared of a walker trying to stomp me, than a lame ass tank driving at me to run me over. Tanks are so 1940's.

Last edited by GotMex? (2006-11-24 22:21:44)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708
No. Takes too much energy to operate one. There's a book about why these things are not practical and gundams are not possible.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6643|USA

GotMex? wrote:

Uhh, I would've thought this one was obvious. You can program a Mech Walker to stomp on a troop, or even a smaller vehicle... not so much for tanks. I'd be more scared of a walker trying to stomp me, than a lame ass tank driving at me to run me over. Tanks are so 1940's.
Ever try and scrape out dead guy from your AIR JORDAN'S??............NOT pretty!!!
Blizzard36
Modified Luck Soldier
+10|6529|Grand Forks, ND
Actually the military has done studies on ths, as have most of the more hardcore mecha heads (like me).  The conventional anime mecha that actually pretend to follow the rules of physics (sorry, no metal gears or gundams, think the ones from Gaziraki) and therefore the ones that might be acheivable in the near future are expected to be much better for defence on rough terrain than any current unit.  As in Gaziraki they would generally use infantry tactics, writ large.  They would dominate urban, dense forrest, and mountainous terrain.

The main question once they are a practical thing to produce is wheather they would be cost effective.  Sure they can carry a crap load of armor and weapons, but as many have pointed out they would still have the same glaring weak spots we humans have.  Our joints, in particular ankles and knees for the prototypical mecha.  The combat arm they would be intended to replace, the infantry, would still be thier greatest threat.

That's why the military has mostly given up on mecha research and is focusing on power armor.  Sure you'd need more units to match the power of one mecha, but that also means that if you loose one unit, you still have some left instead of none.  It's the same thought that was behind the standard US infantry squad organization going into WW2.  It was felt that the optimal infantry fighting team was two 2 man fireteams (4 people) so they made a squad three 2 man fireteams and a squad leader (7 people).  That way, the squad could take 3 casualties and still have the optimal composition.
APortillo
+21|6505|California, USA
They would probably be more effective at urban warfare than a tank.
Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо

Blizzard36 wrote:

Actually the military has done studies on ths, as have most of the more hardcore mecha heads (like me).  The conventional anime mecha that actually pretend to follow the rules of physics (sorry, no metal gears or gundams, think the ones from Gaziraki) and therefore the ones that might be acheivable in the near future are expected to be much better for defence on rough terrain than any current unit.  As in Gaziraki they would generally use infantry tactics, writ large.  They would dominate urban, dense forrest, and mountainous terrain.

The main question once they are a practical thing to produce is wheather they would be cost effective.  Sure they can carry a crap load of armor and weapons, but as many have pointed out they would still have the same glaring weak spots we humans have.  Our joints, in particular ankles and knees for the prototypical mecha.  The combat arm they would be intended to replace, the infantry, would still be thier greatest threat.

That's why the military has mostly given up on mecha research and is focusing on power armor.  Sure you'd need more units to match the power of one mecha, but that also means that if you loose one unit, you still have some left instead of none.  It's the same thought that was behind the standard US infantry squad organization going into WW2.  It was felt that the optimal infantry fighting team was two 2 man fireteams (4 people) so they made a squad three 2 man fireteams and a squad leader (7 people).  That way, the squad could take 3 casualties and still have the optimal composition.
https://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/Nachtefuchs/YOU_REOU.jpg

APortillo wrote:

Reasons?

Last edited by Fenris_GreyClaw (2006-11-24 22:31:17)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

APortillo wrote:

Reasons?
You could put them near buildings, they would be best for stationary defences.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
APortillo
+21|6505|California, USA

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

APortillo wrote:

Reasons?
Oh, sorry.

Well if they are built like the 2142 ones, they would be completely enclosed and no snipers could get the guy manning the 50 cal. They pretty much have the same turning radius as a tank but have weapons against both air and ground units. Also as stated before the legs allow it to go on terrain that a tank could not access as easily.

Edit: And they look kinda menacing and could scare the enemy lowering there morale.

Last edited by APortillo (2006-11-24 22:41:04)

Fenris_GreyClaw
Real Хорошо

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Fenris_GreyClaw wrote:

APortillo wrote:

Reasons?
You could put them near buildings, they would be best for stationary defences.
Why best? you could do the same with a tank or ASLAV (APC) and achieve the same result, only the tank/APC wouldn't be taller than a house...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard