Aardcore
+60|6730|USA, Arizona
Does anyone else notice something different about the M1A1 than it really FEELs like as a tank? How about how it looks? What I'm trying to get at is that probably not only just the M1A1, but as well as other tanks, those things should be able to hold more personnel. Don't know what I mean? Dig this:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ … 1-pics.htm

As it looks, the M1A1 doesn't have just two guns Main Cannon and Machinegun, but rather, FOUR guns: 3 machine gun placements as well as the main cannon, but most specifically I'd like to point out the two main machinegunh placements on the top. Was this something EA considered and reduced to one machinegun placement for balancing purposes? Or was it overlooked and assumed by the designers that the M1A1 only had one machinegun up top?

Personally I think that would've been kind of cool if there were two gunner placements on the top of the tank turret chassis. Two guys up there gunning down assisting the main tank as it wheels out, that'd feel a whole lot more specialized and take care of the tank as being an efficient capture machine without the assistance of an APC or humvee driven  by an engineer to make sure it's being repaired on the go.

I dunno, I was just watching the news and saw footage of the Iraq situation and saw one of the M1A1s and saw two gunner up top. Curious, I had to check it out and it really does have what's sported and has always had those configurations. So whaddaya think?
idiotofwar
Jet Rammer
+4|6744|Debris From Space
Also, you would have 1 person driving and 1 person operating the cannon (I think so correct me).
Aardcore
+60|6730|USA, Arizona
Probably, unless they kept it so that the cannon and driver are one in the same LOL
priznat
+0|6864
The other gunner on top is actually the loader.. During a firefight you'd want him slamming the 120mm rounds in the breech instead of manning his .30cal I would think
idiotofwar
Jet Rammer

Aardcore wrote:

Probably, unless they kept it so that the cannon and driver are one in the same LOL
Like siamese twins operating a battle tank. That would be handy.
AmBiTiOnZ23
Shoot that guy ->
+29|6758
if you look at the picture of the M1A2 when you get in, the boxes that indicate where you are in the vehicle, well it appears there is one that isnt used on the M1A2
Aardcore
+60|6730|USA, Arizona

priznat wrote:

The other gunner on top is actually the loader.. During a firefight you'd want him slamming the 120mm rounds in the breech instead of manning his .30cal I would think
Yeah but even so having both of the gunners go at it while the main cannon's going off would be pretty sweet! It'd exploit alot more teambased action for vehicles, shy away from the APC since not alot of people tend to load up an APC and go to war, instead APC are infamous for just wheeling out by themselves when everyone should be aware that APCs are highly efficient CP skirmishers if used in the manner they should be. For anything to happen like that at a constant are rare though.
Aardcore
+60|6730|USA, Arizona

idiotofwar wrote:

Aardcore wrote:

Like siamese twins operating a battle tank. That would be handy.
HAHAHAH yeah, but isn't that the case with the tanks ingame? That the driver and main cannon gunner are one in the same? I'm just adding the notion that having two gunners up top rather than one would be pretty sweet.
Aardcore
+60|6730|USA, Arizona

AmBiTiOnZ23 wrote:

if you look at the picture of the M1A2 when you get in, the boxes that indicate where you are in the vehicle, well it appears there is one that isnt used on the M1A2
Like a 3rd box? because that's where I'm trying to get at, that even the M1A2 series has dual gunners up top on the main turret chassis.
priznat
+0|6864
I don't think there would be much interest in players being the loader.. turn, pickup shell, load, turn, pickup shell, load.. heh..

I like it when a bunch of people jump on the APC, the problem is that a lot of the time the APCs are being used as mini-tanks instead of troop transport. They are awesome against infantry, especially on karkand.. As long as you just keep driving as fast as possible to avoid the C4 and AT dudes.. lots of swerving and smoke!
Aardcore
+60|6730|USA, Arizona

priznat wrote:

I don't think there would be much interest in players being the loader.. turn, pickup shell, load, turn, pickup shell, load.. heh..

I like it when a bunch of people jump on the APC, the problem is that a lot of the time the APCs are being used as mini-tanks instead of troop transport. They are awesome against infantry, especially on karkand.. As long as you just keep driving as fast as possible to avoid the C4 and AT dudes.. lots of swerving and smoke!
I agree, a comprable functioning APC with supporting troops and teambased comraderie can turn the tides of every battle but I'm not meaning that the 2nd gunner up top act as the loader because the 'driver' in the tank in the game already acts as the driver/loader/gunner(of the main cannon). I'm just saying two gunners instead of one would be awesome! There's been countless times people miss soldiers not just in front of them, but because they're in blindspots behind and to the sides of them. It could be a win/lose situation seeing how the gunners on the top of the tanks seem to die more often than they actually do action, but I'd still would've like to see it through.
whittsend
PV1 Joe Snuffy
+78|6775|MA, USA
A normal tank crew consists of four people.  Driver, Gunner, Loader and Commander.  A normal tank crew never dismounts from the vehicle (got my spurs attached to 3rd ACR in Al Anbar...tankers don't get off that thing for shit.  But then I don't suppose I would either, given the choice).

I think the Swedes have a two man tank with an auto-loader...anyone know about this?
idiotofwar
Jet Rammer

whittsend wrote:

A normal tank crew consists of four people.  Driver, Gunner, Loader and Commander.  A normal tank crew never dismounts from the vehicle (got my spurs attached to 3rd ACR in Al Anbar...tankers don't get off that thing for shit.  But then I don't suppose I would either, given the choice).

I think the Swedes have a two man tank with an auto-loader...anyone know about this?
what so it's siamese quadruplets in BF2? That would be the only explanation of 1 "body" entering the tank.
priznat
+0|6864

whittsend wrote:

Was that the one with the gun mounted as part of the hull? I found a pic of it here: http://www.haaland.info/sweden/tank/

Says 3 ppl though, radio operator + loader + driver/gunner.. Says the radio operator gets to drive it in reverse too, guess he faces backwards. Funky design, although they use leopard 2s now..
whittsend
PV1 Joe Snuffy
+78|6775|MA, USA

priznat wrote:

Was that the one with the gun mounted as part of the hull? I found a pic of it here: http://www.haaland.info/sweden/tank/

Says 3 ppl though, radio operator + loader + driver/gunner.. Says the radio operator gets to drive it in reverse too, guess he faces backwards. Funky design, although they use leopard 2s now..
Yep, that's the one...my bad...3 men.

I'm not surprised they switched.  IIRC Leopard 2 can fire on the run, just like the Abrams...I can't imagine that thing would do well with the gunner trying to drive, elevate the suspension and aim the main gun all at the same time.  It was a nice idea...seems archaic that we still have to manually load the tanks main guns.
Styles
+0|6717|Bronx ny/Ft hood tx
BTW its a M240....not a .30 cal

And i dont know how many of you guys are familiar with OFP or operation flashpoint but the M1's in it had a seperate player manning the main gun and it worked out pretty fine...that leaves the driver to be able focus on other things like that spec ops soldier in front of you running up with the C4
priznat
+0|6864

whittsend wrote:

I'm not surprised they switched.  IIRC Leopard 2 can fire on the run, just like the Abrams...I can't imagine that thing would do well with the gunner trying to drive, elevate the suspension and aim the main gun all at the same time.  It was a nice idea...seems archaic that we still have to manually load the tanks main guns.
I remember seeing a picture of it when it was at maximum elevation on the gun, the suspension on that thing is quite funky!

It is strange that more tanks don't use an autoloader, although I remember reading something about how problematic the early ones were on the Soviet T64 and later the 72s.. I could swear I remember seeing something about how sometimes it would catch the gunner's arm and it would get jammed into the breech.. Ouch!

I guess having a person doing it is probably a lot more trouble free overall.. Although I worked for a military contractor once doing systems integration on comm systems for the CF, those Leopard 1 tanks are pretty damn tight inside.. I could *barely* fit thru the commander's hatch, one of those rolling offroad with 3 people in the turret must be freakin' insane!

Anyone seen the movie "Buffalo Soldiers" With Joaquin Phoenix? It has a somewhat amusing/disturbing bit with a stoned tank crew having some difficulty navigating the german countryside circa 1985.. With a crudely disguised Leopard 1 tank posing as a US Army tank..
Tempelridderen
+0|6750
balance anyone??
priznat
+0|6864

Styles wrote:

M240 = 7.62mm (x 51mm) = 0.3" = .30 caliber

There are different 7.62mm rounds, but since caliber refers to the diameter inside the barrel, that is irrelevant.

Perhaps you were thinking of the 5.56mm M249 aka SAW aka FN Minimi?
AmBiTiOnZ23
Shoot that guy ->
+29|6758

Aardcore wrote:

AmBiTiOnZ23 wrote:

Like a 3rd box? because that's where I'm trying to get at, that even the M1A2 series has dual gunners up top on the main turret chassis.
Yeah, it looks like there is a 3rd box. Also, look close at the back of the BF2 case, doesnt it look like the tank has two turrets...
Styles
+0|6717|Bronx ny/Ft hood tx

priznat wrote:

Styles wrote:

There are different 7.62mm rounds, but since caliber refers to the diameter inside the barrel, that is irrelevant.

Neg The M1A2 has four guns The main 120mm cannon next to that is the M240c Coaxial. The Commander has the .50 cal and the loader has an M240.
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6734|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
One of the main reasons that you don't see that many auto loaders on tanks is that they actually still can't match the rate of fire that one man manually loading the cannon can.  With a manual loader it's simply a guy putting the shell in place, with an auto loader it's get the cannon in the right position, have the machine grab the shell, machine puts shell into place, machine puts shell into cannon, machine clears out of the way, and machine unlocks cannon to fire.  Last I checked, the russian systems took about 10 seconds to do this, compared to an average of three with manual loading.
priznat
+0|6864

Styles wrote:

priznat wrote:

Styles wrote:

Neg The M1A2 has four guns The main 120mm cannon next to that is the M240c Coaxial. The Commander has the .50 cal and the loader has an M240.
Yep those were the M240s we were talkin about there..
priznat
+0|6864
http://armor.kiev.ua/fofanov/Tanks/EQP/al-72.html

neat autoloader info from a T72..
A.Drew(G.Drew
+4|6757|Hamilton, Scotland

Aardcore wrote:

1 commnader, gunner, loader and( nope, i think thats it), it used to be about 4 people in a tank , i cant member exactly...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard