SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6145|North Tonawanda, NY

nukchebi0 wrote:

Could you elaborate slightly? I'm not sure I see much of a difference between manipulation and lying in this case.
https://www.bebereviews.com/aejeans.jpg
What's the lie?

https://www.duncans.tv/images/Gap-Swing.jpg
Gap clothes will make you spontaneously swing dance?  No.

https://img74.imageshack.us/img74/9236/hollister3ad.jpg
Lies?  There are no promises made in these ads, so where are they lying?

You are seeing X product associated with fun and 'beautiful' people.  They imply that product X will make that happen, but they don't say it will.  That's manipulation, not lying.
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6305|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

fuck this

i'm going naked from now on
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6339|New Haven, CT

Please, read what you wrote:

I don't believe in the idea of trend setters. Trends today are so materialistic that they are mostly defined by business, and their success is dependent on making people believe they are following the trend setters.
So they don't exist, but then they do?

The as I said, by the way, was aimed toward the second sentence's italicized phrase, with the 'their' referring to business.

No, I'm saying that the people who are popular happen to pick up trends first because that is the kind of person they are. The timing makes an illusion that they are the cause of the trend, but they could be removed completely and the cycle would stay the same.
You don't think their early adoption has any effect on the rate it it spreads through the rest of society?

They don't though. They are only as effective as any type of advertising is.
To you, yes. To me, yes. But the world and consumer base is comprised of more than you and me. Companies would not pay a ton of money to have celebrities in commercials or endorsing a product if it didn't have an effect. Businesses are not created to waste money.

The implementation is important, not the size.
Agreed, but having something small placed in an ideally location or used ideally will be less effective than a larger logo located or used similarly. To say size is irrelevant is a bit narrow-minded, I think.

Just because there are no good examples in a certain industry doesn't mean a company cannot be successful without blatant logos everywhere. It just means no one has been creative enough in that industry to use some finesse.
Based on what has been established in capitalist business for the past 100 years, having your name visibly on a product is useful in advertising for it. Again, would companies put their name on it if it didn't have an effect on their sales? No, of course not. They wouldn't bother with it.

One example of a company succeeding without asserting their brand on everything does not disprove a general rule.

Not making any claims isn't lying, not even by omission. They are only making people remember the product, because if they remember the product and it is a good one, that will boost sales right there.
Yes, I see. As Toenails did point out, and is much clearer to me now, advertising is manipulating someone's perception of something in order to favorably influence their actions in regards to this something.

We clearly don't agree.
I meant I agreed with the general concepts of your original post.

SenorToenails wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Could you elaborate slightly? I'm not sure I see much of a difference between manipulation and lying in this case.
http://www.bebereviews.com/aejeans.jpg
What's the lie?

http://www.duncans.tv/images/Gap-Swing.jpg
Gap clothes will make you spontaneously swing dance?  No.

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/9236/hollister3ad.jpg
Lies?  There are no promises made in these ads, so where are they lying?

You are seeing X product associated with fun and 'beautiful' people.  They imply that product X will make that happen, but they don't say it will.  That's manipulation, not lying.
I associated the perception manipulation with lying. But yes, there is no technical lying.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-04-27 19:49:24)

Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6722|67.222.138.85

nukchebi0 wrote:

The illusion of them exists. You can't point to one.

nukchebi0 wrote:

You don't think their early adoption has any effect on the rate it it spreads through the rest of society?
No. People would adopt it no matter who actually buys the product because of the methodology of the advertising. The popular people only get on board first because they are more prone to trying new things and putting themselves out there, hence their popularity. The slower people would still take up the fashions because the companies tell them everyone is doing it, not because they actually see other people doing it.

nukchebi0 wrote:

To you, yes. To me, yes. But the world and consumer base is comprised of more than you and me. Companies would not pay a ton of money to have celebrities in commercials or endorsing a product if it didn't have an effect. Businesses are not created to waste money.
Again, there is an illusion of an effect. People believe it will make a big difference, so they spend big money on it. Whether it actually makes a difference is debatable.

Also, there are plenty of successful million dollar ad campaigns without any celebrities.

nukchebi0 wrote:

Agreed, but having something small placed in an ideally location or used ideally will be less effective than a larger logo located or used similarly. To say size is irrelevant is a bit narrow-minded, I think.
How is bigger effective? Bigger is better? Many people, including me obviously, are turned off by these huge logos.

All that has to be done is imprint an idea of who made the product, how that is done is completely irrelevant.

nukchebi0 wrote:

Based on what has been established in capitalist business for the past 100 years, having your name visibly on a product is useful in advertising for it. Again, would companies put their name on it if it didn't have an effect on their sales? No, of course not. They wouldn't bother with it.
They would because they think it makes a difference. It is impossible to prove whether it actually does or not. The only necessary goal of advertising is to get the word out about the product if it is a quality product, and many companies do not rely on stamping everything in sight. For some companies that is a necessity.

nukchebi0 wrote:

One example of a company succeeding without asserting their brand on everything does not disprove a general rule.
One example of a company succeeding by asserting their brand on everything does not make a general rule.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6339|New Haven, CT

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

The illusion of them exists. You can't point to one.
Oh. That wasn't clear.

nukchebi0 wrote:

No. People would adopt it no matter who actually buys the product because of the methodology of the advertising. The popular people only get on board first because they are more prone to trying new things and putting themselves out there, hence their popularity. The slower people would still take up the fashions because the companies tell them everyone is doing it, not because they actually see other people doing it.
So popular people get it because the company implies its 'fresh', and the rest of the people get it because the company asserts (half correctly) "everyone" is doing it?

nukchebi0 wrote:

Again, there is an illusion of an effect. People believe it will make a big difference, so they spend big money on it. Whether it actually makes a difference is debatable.
The fact it hasn't been stopped after the long amount of time it has been used suggests there is tangible benefits to companies using it.

Also, there are plenty of successful million dollar ad campaigns without any celebrities.
How does this affect the fact that celebrities can help sell products?

nukchebi0 wrote:

How is bigger effective? Bigger is better? Many people, including me obviously, are turned off by these huge logos.

All that has to be done is imprint an idea of who made the product, how that is done is completely irrelevant.
A bigger logo makes this slightly easier. Obviously one would not want one overly large, but size does influence the effect to some degree.

nukchebi0 wrote:

They would because they think it makes a difference. It is impossible to prove whether it actually does or not. The only necessary goal of advertising is to get the word out about the product if it is a quality product, and many companies do not rely on stamping everything in sight. For some companies that is a necessity.
I have way more products in my house that incorporate the logos of companies than those that don't.

nukchebi0 wrote:

One example of a company succeeding by asserting their brand on everything does not make a general rule.
Except there are much more than one.
Flaming_Maniac

nukchebi0 wrote:

So popular people get it because the company implies its 'fresh', and the rest of the people get it because the company asserts (half correctly) "everyone" is doing it?
No, everyone gets it because the company asserts "everyone" is doing it. The early adopters are more likely to jump on the bandwagon sooner because that is their nature, that is part of what makes them popular.

nukchebi0 wrote:

The fact it hasn't been stopped after the long amount of time it has been used suggests there is tangible benefits to companies using it.
Suggests, does not prove.

nukchebi0 wrote:

It means that maybe it isn't the celebrities that make the products sell. Maybe it is the extra time and effort that goes in to planning an ad with a celebrity because of the additional cost involved.

nukchebi0 wrote:

A bigger logo makes this slightly easier. Obviously one would not want one overly large, but size does influence the effect to some degree.
The size of the logo only affects the clarity. As long as people can tell what it is, that is all that matters.

nukchebi0 wrote:

I have way more products in my house that incorporate the logos of companies than those that don't.
Really? Who made your pots and pans? What about your furniture? (don't check the tag, no one who comes to your house does) Your electricity? Heating gas? Carpet? Hell, who built your house, most likely the largest financial investment your family has?

nukchebi0 wrote:

As are there examples of companies that don't rely on stamping their products.
Ajax_the_Great1
Dropped on request
+206|6662
I wear clothes with ads on them and I'm not a sheep marketing tool. Companies have to get their names out there somehow.

If you have a problem with it you can always wear clothes without brand labels on them.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6339|New Haven, CT

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

No, everyone gets it because the company asserts "everyone" is doing it. The early adopters are more likely to jump on the bandwagon sooner because that is their nature, that is part of what makes them popular.
Implies, not asserts. Otherwise, it would be lying, and companies don't lie in advertising.

nukchebi0 wrote:

Suggests, does not prove.
Suggests strongly, as in can be logically inferred.

nukchebi0 wrote:

It means that maybe it isn't the celebrities that make the products sell. Maybe it is the extra time and effort that goes in to planning an ad with a celebrity because of the additional cost involved.
Maybe...or maybe the fact Hannah Montana is behind it helps much more than the quality of the ad. *Looks at Craptoon Network ads*

nukchebi0 wrote:

The size of the logo only affects the clarity. As long as people can tell what it is, that is all that matters.
Clarity is important in telling what it is.

nukchebi0 wrote:

Really? Who made your pots and pans? What about your furniture? (don't check the tag, no one who comes to your house does) Your electricity? Heating gas? Carpet? Hell, who built your house, most likely the largest financial investment your family has?
Visible. (Revere Wear)
Not visible.
Visible. (CEC)
N/a
Not visible.
Visible. (Solaire)

Of course, you picked two utilities, which typically don't need product awareness (I grant certain industries just don't need it). Carpet doesn't need it, either, because you pick what looks good regardless of maker.

But, look at you computer monitor. Look at your mouse. Look at your speakers. Look at your TV. Look at your car. Look at your printer. Look at your dishwasher.

Do you know who made them? Yeah, you do.

nukchebi0 wrote:

As are there examples of companies that don't rely on stamping their products.
In the certain industries that don't need to, yes. Outside, very few.
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6305|Éire
I personally don't like big logos or blatantly branded clothing. I wear T-shirts with bands on them, other than that I try to stay away from brands. One of my old lecturers at college would not wear a piece of clothing if it had a logo on it because he disliked branding so much...and ironically he was a graphic designer!
Flaming_Maniac

nukchebi0 wrote:

Suggests strongly, as in can be logically inferred.
How is that strongly suggested? Because logos are everywhere? No one has done a study about whether or not there is a tangible difference, so you cannot know.

nukchebi0 wrote:

Maybe...or maybe the fact Hannah Montana is behind it helps much more than the quality of the ad. *Looks at Craptoon Network ads*
Same as above.

nukchebi0 wrote:

Visible. (Revere Wear)
Not visible.
Visible. (CEC)
N/a
Not visible.
Visible. (Solaire)

Of course, you picked two utilities, which typically don't need product awareness (I grant certain industries just don't need it). Carpet doesn't need it, either, because you pick what looks good regardless of maker.

But, look at you computer monitor. Look at your mouse. Look at your speakers. Look at your TV. Look at your car. Look at your printer. Look at your dishwasher.

Do you know who made them? Yeah, you do.
First of all, congratulations on having the only furniture and house in America with a visible tag on them.

We have a lot of competition for utilities here. Especially during the summer, there are lots of ads by electricity companies and ads trying to get people to switch to natural gas for heating. The quality of carpet is very important. Do you think all carpet costs the same or something? If you get a quality carpet then it won't wear out for 10-20 years or longer depending on use, as opposed to maybe 5-10 years. No one wants to go through the hassle and money of getting new carpet put in that often.

All the big ticket industries are the ones that don't need to label anything. When you're catering to a person or company who is paying you millions for a product, people don't feel the need to label it so much. (unless the label is what the person is paying for)

nukchebi0 wrote:

In the certain industries that don't need to, yes. Outside, very few.
You're just throwing out made up rules and making generalizations about industries according to your arguments. You aren't backing it up with anything.
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6747|St. Andrews / Oslo

I actually agree with you Flaming (at least to some extent)

I'm extremely picky with my clothes, and I take a lot of care in what I wear. I am not affraid of buying clothes from my favorite brands, and I'm not afraid of sporting their logo, as long as it's small and discreet. I'll wear an Armani t-shirt if the logo is just under the neck on the back, small on the side of my chest, etc, but I'd never walk around with a huge Armani logo stamped on my chest. I want people to view my clothes as a piece of design/cloth, not as an expensive brand name.

The people who wear clothes with huge designer logo's on them are often just trying to show off the brand of the clothing, rather than the look of it, and to me they only appear as walking bilboards who care more about the brand than the actual shirt.

Now, I've become quite good at guessing brand names by looking at the style of the clothing. When I see some new jeans for example, I'll think "hey, those are cool", quickly recognize it's a Diesel, and move on. However, if I see someone with pants that have DIESEL written in big letters down the whole leg, I think "wtf is wrong with you?". Why? Because they are probably buying the pants because it was the one where most people would see it was a Diesel.

I know this doesn't exactly match up with the point of this thread, but I thought I'd just throw it out there. I never wear clothes with big logo's, because it attracts more attention to the brand than to the actuall clothes.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard