Bert10099
[]D [] []\/[] []D
+177|6757|United States

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Clothing has three purposes.

1 - To protect one from the elements

2 - To cover one's self

3 - Fashion, self-image

Apparently, however, we're trying to add one more reason to the list.

4 - Advertising for companies that you don't like and certainly don't give a rat's ass about you.
You, sir, win.

And anybody who disagrees with the OP is ignorant.

With the exception of my school and favorite sports teams, I only wear clothing that has no visible labels or logos.
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6306|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

Bert10099 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

2 - To cover one's self

3 - Fashion, self-image

4 - Advertising for companies that you don't like and certainly don't give a rat's ass about you.
You, sir, win.

With the exception of my school and favorite sports teams, I only wear clothing that has no visible labels or logos.
To be honest though, does it really matter? Fine, a person might go around in a shirt with "ABERCROMBIE AND FITCH" plastered on it, but so long as the clothing is comfortable and does what clothing is supposed to do, what's the harm in it (unless of course, you paid $80 for that shirt just for it to have the logo, which is fucktarded)?

Last edited by cowami (2008-04-25 18:18:15)

https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5977|Washington DC

cowami wrote:

Bert10099 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

2 - To cover one's self

3 - Fashion, self-image

You, sir, win.

To be honest though, does it really matter? Fine, a person might go around in a shirt with "ABERCROMBIE AND FITCH" plastered on it, but so long as the clothing is comfortable and does what clothing is supposed to do, what's the harm in it (unless of course, you paid $80 for that shirt just for it to have the logo, which is fucktarded)?
It makes you a slave to the man... duh...
Bert10099
[]D [] []\/[] []D
+177|6757|United States

cowami wrote:

Bert10099 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

2 - To cover one's self

3 - Fashion, self-image

You, sir, win.

It doesn't matter, really.  There is no real harm...

Question to someone in California:  Does anyone wear Hollister clothing there?  Because most kids in Massachusetts do.  And I'd think it ironic if it wasn't worn in the state it was created.
topthrill05
+125|6594|Rochester NY USA

Bert10099 wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

2 - To cover one's self

3 - Fashion, self-image

You, sir, win.

So because someone disagrees with your opinion you find them ignorant. *Sigh*

You know I don't wear that clothing either, but FFS who cares? The stuff looks good to some people and they choose to wear it, what is the issue here, freedom? Why wouldn't you want to have your logo plastered on the crap you sell, thats smart business, free advertising if you will.

but yeah because I disagree with Flaming I am totally ignorant, you sir are an idiot.
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6723|67.222.138.85

SenorToenails wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

Oh no, another person who thinks I'm a corporate sellout
No, no. We just think you are a corporate whore, not a sellout.  :-p

GorillaKing798 wrote:

I wear some brands of clothes because they're comfortable such as Nike and Under Armour etc. But I also am sponsored on a paintball team, so I wear shirts that advertise our sponsors, so I am getting paid in a sense to advertise.
Completely different, if you actually get paid to advertise that's great. It is a conscious decision you are making to promote something. Paying someone to advertise for them without even realizing it is the stupid part.

cowami wrote:

If you don't mind being used, there is nothing wrong with it. People don't realize just how easily they are manipulated, this is only a feeble attempt to make people realize how easily they influence and are influenced.

topthrill05 wrote:

You know I don't wear that clothing either, but FFS who cares? The stuff looks good to some people and they choose to wear it, what is the issue here, freedom? Why wouldn't you want to have your logo plastered on the crap you sell, thats smart business, free advertising if you will.
I don't want to take away people's freedom to wear what they want, I'm just pointing out the idiocy.

Don't get me wrong, it is absolutely brilliant business strategy. It is one of my dreams to own a company such as these that so cunningly and ruthlessly exploit the flock mentality of weak minded humans. Starbucks, smoothie companies, health food companies, etc.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6146|North Tonawanda, NY

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

HurricaИe wrote:

Oh no, another person who thinks I'm a corporate sellout
No, no. We just think you are a corporate whore, not a sellout.  :-p

GorillaKing798 wrote:

I wear some brands of clothes because they're comfortable such as Nike and Under Armour etc. But I also am sponsored on a paintball team, so I wear shirts that advertise our sponsors, so I am getting paid in a sense to advertise.
Completely different, if you actually get paid to advertise that's great. It is a conscious decision you are making to promote something. Paying someone to advertise for them without even realizing it is the stupid part.
I was kidding. 

People pay for stuff that gives free advertising to companies all the time.  Buy a car?  There is a good chance you have one of those ugly dealer labels on it.  Buy a drink?  The logo is all over the bottle.  You know those distinctive Chevrolet and Ford logos?  Good luck buying a Chevy or Ford without them.  My Dell laptop has a Dell logo on the cover.

We are all 'tools of the corporate machine', if you look at it that way.  I guess there is no way getting around it.  Some people buy things for the image they project.  Much of Apple's marketing strategy is based off that.
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5977|Washington DC
Again, you act like people buy these clothes solely for the logo. I myself at least, don't do that. I buy a piece of clothing that looks nice and is comfortable. If it happens to have the company logo on it, so be it. More power to them. I don't expect to be paid for wearing a piece of clothing.

I mean christ, smoothie companies? I don't buy Starbucks for the sake of Starbucks... I usually go there because their blended iced coffees are nice. I tend to buy certain smoothies because I know they're tasty. I buy from certain health food companies because their foods are good.

When I walk past a person with an American Eagle shirt I don't think "Hmm, I think I'll buy an American Eagle shirt next time I go shopping." In fact, I don't really think much of it. Please don't give me your wackjob "It's subconsciously affecting you" stuff... because A LOT of people at my school have "logo" clothing and as I've stated ad nauseum, most of the 'logo' clothing in my wardrobe is a couple of Under Armor shirts and some band shirts.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6584|Mountains of NC

https://www.information-condom-source.com/Images/Trojan-Condoms.gif
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Flaming_Maniac
I am not talking about a company logo on a product. I am talking about a company logo that is the centerpiece of a product.

Toenails I didn't actually mean to quote you. Accidental.

It matters what a piece of clothing looks like. Macho I'm-am-man-so-clothing-doesn't-appeal-to-me sentiments aside, clothing is the way you present yourself to the world. I would be happy to present myself in any of the clothes that I wear to anyone, I'm not ashamed of anything I wear anywhere and don't think they send messages I don't want sending. If I met someone on the street that I wanted to impress but seemed to be telling more about Hollister than who I am in the first ten seconds I don't think that first impression is going to go to well.

It may not matter to you or your friends. I can assure you that chances are the person who is handing you your first decent paycheck will care. Anybody who is anyone in this world is advertising themselves, not someone else's company.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

I am not talking about a company logo on a product. I am talking about a company logo that is the centerpiece of a product.
Yea, I see your point.  But you can look at it this way:

I go buy a drink.  It has a Pepsi logo on the outside.  Is the primary purpose of the item to be consumed?  Or to advertise?

Now imagine I buy a shirt.  It has a GAP logo on it.  Is the primary purpose of the item to be a shirt?  Or to advertise?
BlackKoala
+215|6341
Aeropostale, A&F, HCO, Adidas, Nike, Reebok, AE.....

Hmm I probably have more.  Why do you care what people wear?  None of it's obscene, it's no different than a jersey or something of the sort.
Flaming_Maniac
1) to make you generate more sales for Pepsi

2) to make you generate more sales for GAP
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Well, that's the world we live in?  What else can I really say? 

I buy the drink because I'm thirsty.  I buy the shirt because ...
https://www.victorystore.com/signs/property_management/images/no_shi36.jpg
Flaming_Maniac

SenorToenails wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

http://www.victorystore.com/signs/prope … _shi36.jpg
We still have a choice when it comes to clothing though. People choosing to wear these things when there are still other options out there means its not the fault of the corporations, the blame is placed solely on the consumer.
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6584|Mountains of NC

SenorToenails wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

https://www.victorystore.com/signs/property_management/images/no_shi36.jpg
but it says nothing of pants

Free ..... Free ballin

Senor did you check the site for Carhartt
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
HurricaИe
Banned
+877|5977|Washington DC

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

We still have a choice when it comes to clothing though. People choosing to wear these things when there are still other options out there means its not the fault of the corporations, the blame is placed solely on the consumer.
If people are so easily persuaded as to go buy a piece of clothing because they saw the company's logo on their friend's shirt... they probably would've ended up buying from them anyways at some point in time.
BlackKoala
+215|6341

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

And what if someone likes the shirt?  The fit, the color, the style?

How dare they wear a shirt they like, just because it's based around a company!

I like the companys I buy shirts from, so I have no problem wearing them.  Hmm, I have 15 or so band shirts, maybe I shouldn't wear them and advertise the bands?
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Good god man.  You really are decided on this issue, aren't you?

Yes, people have choices.  But who is to say that someone is wrong to buy a certain brand simply because of a logo?  I don't see a 'fault' to pass around here.

All I can say is, I am a plain, boring guy who likes plain, boring clothes.  I do not buy clothing with obnoxious logos because personally, I do not like clothes that are that 'busy'.  Does that mean people who buy clothes with a giant Nike logo are somehow at fault?  No!  Not at all!
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6554|Long Island, New York

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

Honestly, FM...

So what? Who really cares? I wear AE/Aeropostale shirts with their logo on it because it LOOKS NICE. I'm not gonna choose another shirt that looks worse just because it has no logo on it.
Smithereener
+138|6332|California

Bert10099 wrote:

Question to someone in California:  Does anyone wear Hollister clothing there?  Because most kids in Massachusetts do.  And I'd think it ironic if it wasn't worn in the state it was created.
A crap load of people wear Hollister. As in, walk down the street and I'll guarentee that at least one person out of every five people are sporting some kind of Hollister paraphenelia.

I never really had a profound interest in clothes or designer labels; if it's comfortable enough, I'll wear it. The thing is, if it's a shirt with the logo plastered all across the front, but it was comfortable, I'll wear it. I understand that I'd be 'inadvertently' advertising, but for me, the fact I'm wearing the shirt out of practicality is more important than the fact that I'd be advertising the brand. I do prefer clothing with a minimal logo, but again, if comfortable, I'd still wear it.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

SEREMAKER wrote:

but it says nothing of pants

Free ..... Free ballin
Zing!

SEREMAKER wrote:

Senor did you check the site for Carhartt
I did.  Next time I need durable pants, I will be putting in an order. 
Flaming_Maniac
No one is even reading my posts anymore.

It's not about the fucking shirt, it's not about the fucking logo, it's about letting people take away, no, giving away every scrap of decency we have left in society.

OP wrote:

No kids, you don't have to pay a dime, because you just sold your soul.
The really terrible part is we don't even realize it. We are all so caught up in the commercialization and the need to be a part of the changing times that we embrace it any way we can, begging to grease the gears of the machine with our dignity. They take away our time, our money, our peace of mind, and we figure hey what the hell, might as well throw in our influence.

People are making millions, billions at the top because they refused to succumb to the bullshit and said I want to be on top, and in some way they got to be so good at scamming the common man that they completely brainwashed him. Now they've spun everyone around so fast with all the crap they throw at you that people are giving away everything they have to prop up those at the top.

I'm no communist, but this is damn sure not the way capitalism is supposed to work. People are simulating a product by making us believe it exists, and we're just gobbling it up. Instead of people producing an actual quality product and using sound business practices to work their way up, we're paying people to become successful, so long as they have the charisma to convince us the turd sandwich is delectable roast beef.

It just does not make any business sense to see these companies being propped up by the idiotic middle America, with too much money than they know what to do with, and not enough brains to become truly wealthy. Lower income brackets support companies that market cheap products, high income brackets support companies that cater quality products at not-worth-it-but-I-have-the-money prices, and everyone else supports companies that produce cheap products with a veneer of slick advertising.

Seriously, look around. Look at who is buying the most expensive things relative to their income bracket, and then look at their intelligence. If you give me two people, equal income, one wearing a popular brand and one wearing clothes of comparative quality without the brand, I would bet on the success of the latter every time.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

A lot of people are stupid.  Corporations make large sums of money off of them.
I can agree with that.

Edit:  You do make an awful lot of unfair, baseless assumptions in there.

Last edited by SenorToenails (2008-04-25 22:24:14)

BlackKoala
+215|6341

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

If you give me two people, equal income, one wearing a popular brand and one wearing clothes of comparative quality without the brand, I would bet on the success of the latter every time.
So your basis of success is.....

A shirt?  Uhhh....alrighty there cowboy.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard