jsnipy
+3,276|6513|...

Slashdot wrote:

"The Department of Defense has announced the creation of the Armed Forces Institute of Regenerative Medicine to 'harness stem cell research and technology... to reconstruct new skin, muscles and tendons, and even ears, noses and fingers.' The government is budgeting $250 million in public and private money for the project's first five years, and the NIH and three universities will be on the team. The military has been working on regrowing lost body parts using extracellular matrices and scientists in labs have grown blood vessels, livers, bladders, breast implants, and meat and are already growing a new ear for a badly burned Marine using stem cells from his own body. Army Surgeon General Eric Schoomaker explained that our bodies systematically generate liver cells and bone marrow and that this ability can be redirected through 'the right kind of stimulation.' The general cited animals like salamanders that can regrow lost tails or limbs. 'Why can't a mammal do the same thing?' he asked."
source
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6698|67.222.138.85
THINK OF THE CHILDREN

oh wait...

I suppose it's alright then.
TheTrueQuaid
What was I doing mars?
+11|5889|Assachusetts
Service guarantees citizenship.

https://i30.tinypic.com/2uig7bm.gif
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6518|Portland, OR USA

TheTrueQuaid wrote:

http://i30.tinypic.com/2uig7bm.gif
coming to Blu-Ray in May I believe

In any event - I'm a huge supporter of this and think it's long overdue.

EDIT: This isn't to say I'm a fan of full body spare parts as seen in The Island et al, but I think it's absolutely ridiculous that we'd hold back stem cell technology.

Last edited by PuckMercury (2008-04-22 07:17:13)

imortal
+240|6656|Austin, TX

TheTrueQuaid wrote:

...they truely raped that book to make the movie.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6121|North Tonawanda, NY

imortal wrote:

TheTrueQuaid wrote:

That's usually how it goes though.
imortal
+240|6656|Austin, TX

SenorToenails wrote:

imortal wrote:

TheTrueQuaid wrote:

But not THAT badly.  They took some of the most interesting portions of the book and perverted it; then they take out the only part of the action scenes that made them really cool (the armor).  That movie was a frigging abomination, and the Heinlein family was sorry they ever sold the guy the rights to make the movie.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

imortal wrote:

But not THAT badly.  They took some of the most interesting portions of the book and perverted it; then they take out the only part of the action scenes that made them really cool (the armor).  That movie was a frigging abomination, and the Heinlein family was sorry they ever sold the guy the rights to make the movie.
I had heard it was a total slaughter of the book.  I have it sitting on my pile of books to read, but I haven't gotten to it yet.
imortal
+240|6656|Austin, TX

SenorToenails wrote:

imortal wrote:

I had heard it was a total slaughter of the book.  I have it sitting on my pile of books to read, but I haven't gotten to it yet.
Seriously.  Put it to the top of the list.  It is only about 240 pages; it is a blink of a read.  Hell, just put it in the bathroom and read it on the can.  It was one of the most influential books a read growing up (Which is a lot to say about a nerd who devoured around 1000 books before his 18th birthday).  It did a lot to shape my thinking of subjects ranging from corperal punishment, capital punishment, voting rights, civil liberties, and more.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

imortal wrote:

Seriously.  Put it to the top of the list.  It is only about 240 pages; it is a blink of a read.  Hell, just put it in the bathroom and read it on the can.  It was one of the most influential books a read growing up (Which is a lot to say about a nerd who devoured around 1000 books before his 18th birthday).  It did a lot to shape my thinking of subjects ranging from corperal punishment, capital punishment, voting rights, civil liberties, and more.
I will move it to the top.  I don't think I have ever not liked a Heinlein book.  Tunnel in the Sky, Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Stranger in a Strange Land, etc...  They are all great.
imortal
+240|6656|Austin, TX

SenorToenails wrote:

imortal wrote:

I will move it to the top.  I don't think I have ever not liked a Heinlein book.  Tunnel in the Sky, Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Stranger in a Strange Land, etc...  They are all great.
I love Heinlein.  The ONLY Heinlein book I have not managed to get through is The Unpleasant Profession of Johnathan Hoag.  I have read every other Heinlein novel published.  Glory Road is another good one, as is Tunnel in the Sky (if you want to think about survival situations).
EDIT... but you said you already read Tunnel in the Sky, so you know.

Last edited by imortal (2008-04-22 21:30:06)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

PuckMercury wrote:

TheTrueQuaid wrote:

I've had it in PAPERBACK before it was even in its awful movie production stages. First bits, good. Sci-fi troops with less armor than we use in Iraq? Bad. They could've done anything that they wanted to the bugs, even *wince* giant ass blasters and humongous brain entities, but the power armor (or lack thereof) was a huge fucking loss.

imortal wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

imortal wrote:

Their excuse was that there was no funding for the armor. Well, they should've thought of that shit in the first place, huh? And to rub it in, they make a damned sequel...

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2008-04-22 23:15:18)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6529|Long Island, New York

TheTrueQuaid wrote:

I INSTANTLY thought of that too.

I keep trying to find a video of when Rico's in the recovery tank getting his wound repaired, but no bones.
BVC
+325|6686
Sweet!
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6402|'Murka

imortal wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

imortal wrote:

My commander at my first assignment recommended that I read the book (it was about the time the movie came out). I thought it was just goofy sci-fi...until I read it. Dog-eared the fuck out of the book. Many of Heinlein's statements on the responsibilities of citizenship (as laid out in the book, anyway) are enduring.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
JahManRed
wank
+646|6619|IRELAND

Maybe they can grow Bush a new brain.
CoronadoSEAL
pics or it didn't happen
+207|6509|USA

PuckMercury wrote:

TheTrueQuaid wrote:

In any event - I'm a huge supporter of this and think it's long overdue.

EDIT: This isn't to say I'm a fan of full body spare parts as seen in The Island et al, but I think it's absolutely ridiculous that we'd hold back stem cell technology.
so you are fine with putting a price tag on the human head?

JahManRed wrote:

maybe he doesn't need one
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6436|The Land of Scott Walker
Adult stem cells have had success for some time now.  Glad to see this helping our wounded warriors.
BVC
+325|6686

JahManRed wrote:

Lets hope they don't need cells from the organ they're replacing

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard