ATG
Banned
+5,233|6499|Global Command
We build an aquaduct from the Mississippi river  to supply the Southwest.

https://i29.tinypic.com/sqioih.jpg

It would start near the great lakes, so gravity would send it along. Clearly as the Great Lakes are above California, gravity would be a major player.

Next time New Orleans was gonna flood, the powers that be would simply open the spigot to full on, and wala, problem solved.

Otherwise, this entire region is in for a world of hurt.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6100|North Tonawanda, NY
The great lakes water levels are alarmingly low already.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6512|Texas - Bigger than France
Why not just run the aquaduct to the west and attach it to a desalinization plant?
chittydog
less busy
+586|6805|Kubra, Damn it!

Could we put the money towards developing a more effective/cheaper method of desalinization? A lot of the affected areas in California aren't all that far from the Pacific.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

chittydog wrote:

Could we put the money towards developing a more effective/cheaper method of desalinization? A lot of the affected areas in California aren't all that far from the Pacific.
Nuclear desalination.  That would provide two sorely needed things-- electricity and water.
ATG
Banned

SenorToenails wrote:

chittydog wrote:

Nuclear desalination.  That would provide two sorely needed things-- electricity and water.
Is that possible?
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

Could use a hydro-plant/desalination combi. Or the nuclear one.
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6512|Texas - Bigger than France

ATG wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

chittydog wrote:

Is that possible?
Yes, there's several in Russia
logitech487
+16|6373|From The State Of Taxes
Nuclear desalination utilization of waste heat from different nuclear reactor types for thermal desalination, preheat reverse osmosis using condenser cooling water return as feed and hybrid MED–RO desalination systems
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

ATG wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

chittydog wrote:

Is that possible?
Yes.  People are afraid of anything with 'nuclear' in the name though.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6193|Escea

SenorToenails wrote:

ATG wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Is that possible?
Yes.  People are afraid of anything with 'nuclear' in the name though.
True that, even though its quite possibly the most efficient, tested and sensible source of energy besides fossil fuel. One mistake in over 50 years of using it for power and its demonized to the ground.
FallenMorgan
+53|5884|Glendale, CA
It's pronounced nukalear dummies, lol.

That sounds cool, Nuclear desalination.  ATG for president!
ATG
Banned

FallenMorgan wrote:

It...wasn't my idea. But I accept, and when I freely elected dictator every one will get a refridgerator magnet with a AWSM smiley face.
argo4
Stand and Deliver
+86|5903|United States
i like how the plan consists of  a straight line through a map of the U.S.
Laika
+75|5913
An aqueduct straight over the rocky mountains? Yes, you could some pump water, but not nearly enough to significantly supplement the water supply of the southwest.
ATG
Banned
Why not?
Flaming_Maniac
prince of insufficient light
+2,490|6677|67.222.138.85

ATG wrote:

Why not?
The big rock formations make it hard for the water to go down.
FallenMorgan
+53|5884|Glendale, CA

ATG wrote:

FallenMorgan wrote:

It...wasn't my idea. But I accept, and when I freely elected dictator every one will get a refridgerator magnet with a AWSM smiley face.
And when I'm president for life of the US I'll um...I'll um...exile Hugh Hefner to Canada and put the phone numbers of his girlfriends on billboards.  Beat that!  Lol.
Laika
+75|5913

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ATG wrote:

Why not?
Basically, yeah. Think of the energy it would take to pump all that water over a mountain range. Besides, the lakes are at about 580 feet above sea level, and the end of your aqueduct is somewhere between 1000 and 2000 feet above sea level, meaning gravity is going to be hurting more than helping.

Last edited by Ataronchronon (2008-04-21 15:04:04)

ATG
Banned

Flaming_Maniac wrote:

ATG wrote:

Why not?
My idea is semi-serious, at least.

Tunnel through through Rockies and the Sierra Nevada, get much gold, copper and silver.
FallenMorgan
+53|5884|Glendale, CA
The canal seems to go straight through the desert, not the rockies.  It doesn't have to be a straight line.  How 'bout instead, we could make it a pipe, so water doesn't evaporate in the desert?
Laika
+75|5913
I referenced maps before I posted, so Im pretty sure that pipe goes through the rockies. Everything else aside, no matter what path the pipe takes, the water is still going to have to be pumped somewhere around 500 and 1500 feet up. You guys do realize that water flows from high to low and not north to south right?

Last edited by Ataronchronon (2008-04-21 15:08:33)

Parker
isteal
+1,452|6364|The Gem Saloon

FallenMorgan wrote:

ATG wrote:

FallenMorgan wrote:

And when I'm president for life of the US I'll um...I'll um...exile Hugh Hefner to Canada and put the phone numbers of his girlfriends on billboards.  Beat that!  Lol.
ok, when im president, ill make whiny threads about random topics a thing of the past.

vote YES for Parker.
vote NO for emos.

edit:
and doesnt posting hugh hefners girlfriends phone numbers "objectify" them?
how could you think of such a thing?
pfff, talking about them like they are his property.
lol

Last edited by Parker (2008-04-21 15:10:29)

Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6541|USA

SenorToenails wrote:

The great lakes water levels are alarmingly low already.
not to mention the water there is fucking disgusting.

if you eat cod daily from the great lakes you have something like a 1 in 10 chance of getting a cancer.

edit: as for getting over the rockies, well, theres already a pipeline somewhere that gets over the grand tetons or something like that.

we can use hydropower turbines on the downward travels of the water to recover energy used to power a pressurizing station to basically pipe the water over the rockies.

Last edited by Ender2309 (2008-04-21 15:15:33)

Laika
+75|5913
Hmm, no that wouldn't work because even if you had a 100% efficient hydroelectric power station (impossible), you would still need more energy to pipe the water up than you could generate with hydroelectric power stations on the down runs.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard