BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6772
Why are people so obsessed with celebrity and celebrities?

We have magazines and even TV networks devoted to this.

Why are they so admired? Why are they listened to? Why do we like looking into their lives?
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6328|New Haven, CT
People are stupid. I also think they live vicariously through celebrities.

This brings up the interesting question of chicken vs. egg, since pop culture perpetuates the celebrity idolization of stupid people. What came first, the pop culture dictating celebrity idolization, or the celebrity idolization transforming into pop culture/

I sound elitist.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6135|North Tonawanda, NY
I don't get it either.
Ollie
Formerly known as Larkin
+215|5988|Halifax, West Yorkshire
People see celebrities as something they can aspire to be. The greatest honour in this backwards society is to become well known and have lots of money. People are idiots, they don't want to think, they want to be entertained. They lap it all up while their rights are taken away from right under their fucking noses.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6328|New Haven, CT

SenorToenails wrote:

I don't get it either.

Ollie wrote:

People see celebrities as something they can aspire to be. The greatest honor in this backwards society is to become well known and have lots of money. People are idiots, they don't want to think, they want to be entertained. They lap it all up while their rights are taken away from right under their fucking noses.

nukchebi0 wrote:

People are stupid.
Should I add lazy?

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-04-20 23:33:53)

The_Lance_117
CANADA STRONG
+110|5941|CANADA
I'd like to see what you would do if Jessica Alba sat next to you on the bus.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6328|New Haven, CT

The_Lance_117 wrote:

I'm would say there is a difference between idolizing a lifestyle and fantasizing over sexual impossibilities.

Edit: To clarify, I'm sure most people criticizing celebrities would more care about her looks than the fact she is celebrity.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-04-20 23:39:03)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6542|Long Island, New York

The_Lance_117 wrote:

Surprise buttsecks. That is, before the same happens to me when her bodyguard steps in.

I care about some celebrities, not all. Why? They lead fascinating lives. I don't give a shit who gets married and who's banging who, but good actors and good directors, yes...I do care about.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6328|New Haven, CT

Poseidon wrote:

The_Lance_117 wrote:

I don't give a shit who gets married and who's banging who.
I'm guessing this is what he was referring to.

What you think of is a step more sophisticated than, say,

"ZOMG their famous, cool. WTF did they do last night. OMG".

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-04-20 23:41:11)

Ollie
Formerly known as Larkin
The only celebrities I follow (and even then loosely) are the intelligent, outspoken, free thinkers. Of which there are few.

Last edited by Ollie (2008-04-20 23:44:19)

Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6542|Long Island, New York

Ollie wrote:

The only celebrities I follow (and even then loosely) are the intelligent, outspoken, free thinkers. Of which there are few.
Sort of like Will Smith, yet the celebrity tabloid world is so fucking stupid that when they hear the words "Hitler" and "good" in the same sentence, they call him a horrible person.

Nobody could have seen Will Smith being intelligent back in the early 90's. He's actually a really down to earth, nice guy. I saw him once in NYC. Was pretty cool.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6157|what

Ollie wrote:

Tom Cruise?

i jest.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Ollie
Formerly known as Larkin
Anyone who see's through the lies and sensationalism that are potentiated by the media is worthy of my attention.

But no, not Tom Cruise. He's just another wounded idiot scooped up by money grabbing freaks.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6328|New Haven, CT

Ollie wrote:

Anyone who see's through the lies and sensationalism that are potentiated by the media is worthy of my attention.

But no, not Tom Cruise. He's just another wounded idiot scooped up by money grabbing freaks.
Thanks for the word. I've never heard that before.

Could you give me a few example of intelligent, free thinkers?
BN
smells like wee wee
+159|6772
Also, the tv in Australia is based around a certain celebrity or based on creating a celebrity.

Celebrity is a viable commodity. Its a product. And people buy into it.

Shame.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6227|Escea

What I don't get is programs like celbrity Big Brother, where they bring in celebrities nobody's heard of. But yes I sincerly despise those magazine's that tell you stuff like 'such n such just took a dump, let's get the scoop!'
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6846|Cologne, Germany

it's envy, because these people get more than their 15 minutes of fame, while most of us get none, but still fantasize about getting them.

You know, I wouldn't mind if people looked up to celebrities as a source for motivation and hope, but I am afraid most people idolize them for the wrong reasons. Fame and money, obviously.

But hey, every society gets what it deserves. Those tabloids don't sell themselves, you know...
B.Schuss

nukchebi0 wrote:

I sound elitist.
yes, you do. How dare you, sir, lift yourself above your fellow heathens....
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6227|Escea

If I ever make it famous (writer tbh), no way in hell am I gonna tell the world everything about myself 24/7.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6762|Argentina
I can't answer right now, there's an interesting show on E!, "Hollywood Stars taking a dump".
B.Schuss

M.O.A.B wrote:

If I ever make it famous (writer tbh), no way in hell am I gonna tell the world everything about myself 24/7.
not even if they pay you a shitload of money for it ?
I heard people say that in Hollywod, everyone's a prostitute. Some simply sell their souls, or their crdibility instead of their bodies..
Locoloki
I got Mug 222 at Gritty's!!!!
+216|6644|Your moms bedroom
Reality tv has put celebrity's even more into the spotlight. People seem to think that since their favorite tv character on thier favorite show is good looking or is trendy, they want to know everything about them in RL.

Britney Spears real life has now turned into reality tv over cnn and fox news that dumb cunt doesnt know any better than to gtfo of LA than she deserves it.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6227|Escea

B.Schuss wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

I heard people say that in Hollywod, everyone's a prostitute. Some simply sell their souls, or their crdibility instead of their bodies..
Nevar, my privacy and that of my family is worth more than money tbh.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6686|Disaster Free Zone
Cause they're hot!!!

*Paris Hilton Not included*
B.Schuss

M.O.A.B wrote:

B.Schuss wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

Nevar, my privacy and that of my family is worth more than money tbh.
so if People magazine offered you 2,5 million dollars for the exclusive rights to the pictures of your newborn, you'd turn it down ?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard