OmniDeath
~
+726|6640

Well, I have to do a book cover illustration of a novel of my choosing. I, however, don't read much so I only know a few that I've already read. So, post your favorties with a link or something about it and whoever has the best one wins... or something.

I will post the finished art when I am done.

Please note the emphasis on novel, so no short stories and such.
Tetn1s
+59|6638|Los Angeles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes only thing that came up in my mind.
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6401|NSW, Australia

the return of the king
OmniDeath
~
+726|6640

Ned_Z wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes only thing that came up in my mind.
Nice one, hadn't even crossed my mind. +1
OmniDeath
~
+726|6640

XxRavenxX wrote:

the return of the king
Yea, I thought about doing a LoTR one, but I kind of think someone else will pick that (class project) as it seems like an obvious choice. I may do it though simply because it would be a lot of fun.
Home
Section.80
+447|6844|Seattle, Washington, USA

It's a tough choice, but I'll have to nominate 1984. I loved that book, and I think you could make some pretty awesome/creative stuff for a cover.
NateW
my sigs worse than yours
+191|6129

Home wrote:

It's a tough choice, but I'll have to nominate 1984. I loved that book, and I think you could make some pretty awesome/creative stuff for a cover.
Big brother is watching you.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6533|Long Island, New York

Home wrote:

QFT. 1984 was pretty awesome.

Of Mice and Men was pretty decent too.
Smithereener
+138|6312|California

Poseidon wrote:

Home wrote:

QFT. 1984 was pretty awesome.

Of Mice and Men was pretty decent too.
I actually prefer Brave New World, although 1984 is excellent.

How about The Stranger or Catch-22?
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6126|North Tonawanda, NY
The Count of Monte Cristo.

That is probably the best piece of literature I have ever read.
Ollie
Formerly known as Larkin
+215|5980|Halifax, West Yorkshire
https://www.popartuk.com/g/l/lg86383-2+fear-and-loathing-in-las-vegas-hunter-s-thompson-poster.jpg
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6320|New Haven, CT
Animal Farm was better than 1984, by a very small amount.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6388|Southern California
The only book I have ever read with out it feeling like a chore was One flew over the coo coos nest.
Ollie
Formerly known as Larkin

nukchebi0 wrote:

Really? I found 1984 much greater food for thought. I don't really care for allegory.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6320|New Haven, CT

VicktorVauhn wrote:

The only book I have ever read with out it feeling like a chore was One flew over the coo coos nest.
Are you kidding me?

While writing music while high has undisputedly good results, literature requires coherence denied to a person with an altered state of mind.

Ollie wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Really? I found 1984 much greater food for thought. I don't really care for allegory.
1984 is much an allegory as well. I just thought Animal Farm was a better written book than 1984, but perhaps I'll reread both and reconsider.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2008-04-20 22:50:06)

Home
Section.80
+447|6844|Seattle, Washington, USA

nukchebi0 wrote:

Eh... I disagree. I liked Animal Farm a lot too, but it seemed like there was less substance. Animal Farm was just an (excellent) allegory to the Russian revolution. 1984 was entirely of Orwell's own creation, he wasn't just copying and slightly changing real life events.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6320|New Haven, CT
As I said, I thought it was written better.

1984 isn't entirely of Orwell's own creation, though, since he obviously took inspiration from the totalitarian governments of the time he wrote it in.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
another great novel

https://innocentgirl.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/71610f1mdnl_ss500_gif.jpg
Ollie
Formerly known as Larkin

nukchebi0 wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Are you kidding me?

While writing music while high has undisputedly good results, literature requires coherence denied to a person with an altered state of mind.
Your ignorance shows through again.

Home wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Eh... I disagree. I liked Animal Farm a lot too, but it seemed like there was less substance. Animal Farm was just an (excellent) allegory to the Russian revolution. 1984 was entirely of Orwell's own creation, he wasn't just copying and slightly changing real life events.
Well said.

nukchebi0 wrote:

As I said, I thought it was written better.

1984 isn't entirely of Orwell's own creation, though, since he obviously took inspiration from the totalitarian governments of the time he wrote it in.
Oh Lord. What a silly comment.

Last edited by Ollie (2008-04-20 22:59:02)

The_Lance_117
CANADA STRONG
+110|5932|CANADA
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard's_First_Rule
The main female character makes a homosexual pedifile cut off and eat his own genitals (this was right before he let his squad rape her). Amazing book (that was the only gruesome part).
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5995|The Mitten
The Golden Compass

The book, not the movie. The movie was shit, btw.
EE (hats
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6149|what

I just read Sphere. And thought it was really good. Michael Crichton was the author.

Tom Clancy has written some great books too.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6126|North Tonawanda, NY

The_Lance_117 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard's_First_Rule
The main female character makes a homosexual pedifile cut off and eat his own genitals (this was right before he let his squad rape her). Amazing book (that was the only gruesome part).
And the main male character gets completely owned by a dominatrix.  There's more to it, and I think it is a great book.

Though, I don't remember the part you mentioned.  I read it back in the late 90's, so I don't recall exactly what happened.  I'm going to have to reread it now.

This link works:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard%27s_First_Rule
VicktorVauhn
+319|6388|Southern California

nukchebi0 wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Are you kidding me?

TBH I would rather rate literature on weather or not its good, rather then what the artist had done.

And no, one thing I learned in all my semesters of JC English class is writes usually have fucked up lives and drink themselfs into the grave.

I actually didn't really know anything about Ken Kesey, we read the book in school and while his substance abuse was mentioned we didn't really hear details.

I saw a program way later on the rise of LSD, and about Ken Kesey...and heard he wrote that book after working in a metal institution so he could steal drugs...shit definitely makes sense

I hated english class so I'm not the one to rate books for you, I'm just saying it was the only one I've ever sat down and read large chunks of with out feeling like I was making myself.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

TheAussieReaper wrote:

I just read Sphere. And thought it was really good. Michael Crichton was the author.

Tom Clancy has written some great books too.
Oh fuck! How could I forget Tom Clancy.

Patriot Games was pretty .

I've yet to read Rainbow Six, though. I should, considering I must have like...100 hours played of the Rainbow Six game series, including 13 hours so far of Rainbow Six Vegas 2 on the PC.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard