cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6688|NJ
I'm talking about if science comes out with something that proves that god does not exist.. For years the chatholic church(only religion I have direct experiance with) have been reaping great rewards and avoiding lots of taxes, etc. etc..

What will happen to the organized religions? Will they get sue'd for grand larceny? Will that money be refundable?
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6403|'Murka

It will never happen.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6122|North Tonawanda, NY

FEOS wrote:

It will never happen.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6519|Portland, OR USA
now I KNOW this has been done before - but at any rate ...

The predicate point is HOW do you prove God doesn't exist or what would it take to convince you that he doesn't.  Bottom line is faith is enough for some people and in fact defines why they require no proof one way or the other.  I understand you're trying to bypass this by jumping directly to the endpoint, but that endpoint IS the debate really.
sergeriver
Cowboy from Hell
+1,928|6749|Argentina

SenorToenails wrote:

FEOS wrote:

It will never happen.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
cpt.fass1
+329|6688|NJ
Right I see that but this is a different topic.. OK even if they figure out a GOD exsits but it's a different god then everyone thought?

I'm talking about religions, because I was thinking about it on my way into work with the pope coming here and all that. The Church is one of the richest organizations in the world.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

sergeriver wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

FEOS wrote:

It will never happen.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
So perhaps a better premise might be, "What would happen if it was proved, without a doubt, that Catholicism is wrong?" ?

There's a huge difference between being religious and believing in (a) God.  Also - just because different religions think they're praying to a different god or use different names doesn't mean it doesn't all end up at the same address.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

Curious, how would you prove Catholicism wrong? Not that I'm entirely sure on the specifics of Catholicism, other than that they appear to enjoy singing hymns in Latin, but essentially it would amount to the same as proving God wrong.
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42

ghettoperson wrote:

Curious, how would you prove Catholicism wrong? Not that I'm entirely sure on the specifics of Catholicism, other than that they appear to enjoy singing hymns in Latin, but essentially it would amount to the same as proving God wrong.
Depends on how wrong you wish to prove it.  Technically, it would be as simple as proving an element of canonical law is incorrect.  For instance, prove that Mary was not a virgin.  I'm not saying it's an easily achievable end or even that it will happen, but it's at least conceivable whereas the op is not really.
IRONCHEF
+385|6483|Northern California
Define "proof" and how it would apply in the OP.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

PuckMercury wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Depends on how wrong you wish to prove it.  Technically, it would be as simple as proving an element of canonical law is incorrect.  For instance, prove that Mary was not a virgin.  I'm not saying it's an easily achievable end or even that it will happen, but it's at least conceivable whereas the op is not really.
The only way to do that I would have thought would be to go back in time and secks her. Or perhaps find her diary...
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
Mary was just the first thing that came to mind.  I was raised Catholic so I have some foundation in their beliefs.  Finding a paternal genetic link to Jesus would be another way.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

All things neigh on impossible to do, thus rendering this thread pointless...
OrangeHound
Busy doing highfalutin adminy stuff ...
+1,335|6641|Washington DC

cpt.fass1 wrote:

What will happen to the organized religions? Will they get sue'd for grand larceny? Will that money be refundable?
Nothing.

First, science is often wrong ... so it will only affirm the non-religious (much like anti-homosexuality science affirms the anti-homosexual community but is dismissed and countered by the homosexual community).

Second, even the most ridiculous religions have adherents (e.g. Scientology), so it would continue at strength.
cpt.fass1
+329|6688|NJ

IRONCHEF wrote:

Well one why I could think that it gets proven wrong is if we actually see a monkey evolve into a human being or into the "Missing Link". Wouldn't that prove religion wrong..
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

OrangeHound wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Nothing.

First, science is often wrong ... so it will only affirm the non-religious (much like anti-homosexuality science affirms the anti-homosexual community but is dismissed and countered by the homosexual community).

Second, even the most ridiculous religions have adherents (e.g. Scientology), so it would continue at strength.
Does Scientology get the same tax breaks as 'real' religions? (ie ones not made up by science fiction writers)
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42

ghettoperson wrote:

All things neigh on impossible to do, thus rendering this thread pointless...
which I agree with truth be told from a practical standpoint, which is why I linked the appropriate thread earlier.    There is at least a logical process by which DNA could be compared, however.  Again - this is but one instance.
OrangeHound

ghettoperson wrote:

Does Scientology get the same tax breaks as 'real' religions? (ie ones not made up by science fiction writers)
It does in America, but I think some countries in Europe (which have an odd tax system with religions) do not recognize it.
doug1988
spank that azz.
+146|5850|Nibiru in a far away galaxy

OrangeHound wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

It does in America, but I think some countries in Europe (which have an odd tax system with religions) do not recognize it.
Waite hold on , you mean they do get a tax break ? they get millions from the dumb Hollywood nut jobs and they hate the government , but they except a tax break ? now I hate them to   lol
OrangeHound

doug1988 wrote:

OrangeHound wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Waite hold on , you mean they do get a tax break ? they get millions from the dumb Hollywood nut jobs and they hate the government , but they except a tax break ? now I hate them to   lol
Yep ... the Church of Scientology was granted tax exemption by the United States IRS in 1993.]

Edit:  It was part of a large tax settlement case that had dragged on for more than 20 years ... here's a statement:  http://www.bonafidescientology.org/Append/09/page00.htm
IRONCHEF
+385|6483|Northern California

cpt.fass1 wrote:

IRONCHEF wrote:

Well one why I could think that it gets proven wrong is if we actually see a monkey evolve into a human being or into the "Missing Link". Wouldn't that prove religion wrong..
Ok, good, good.  Smart thinking.  But I wonder how exactly that will rule God out?  If one were to conclude that the theory of evolution were even true, that we came from monkeys, how come there are still monkeys?  Surely a species would evolve as a species, not just some.  Surely if evolution is to evolve, why are some evolving and others not? 

More importantly, what if such science simply reveales the way God created man, through eons, millenia, and many ages of...evolution?  Surely a being claiming to be all powerful could have practiced a little, with lesser species, different varieties of beasts and sea monsters that can't coexist with man in it's present evolved state. 

Proving that all that is in this universe started from a 1/2 cup of vapor gas from a passing comet would still not prove away God.

For some proofs "for" God are many thousands of accounts of people who have died, and come back to life.  Such people explain the same exact, unique things, voices, feelings, etc.  Seeing loved ones, understanding things better, being without a body but seeing others with bodies, etc..all things like this are commonly described by adults...yet the stories that kids have are different, describing seeing Jesus and only certain family members or friends who are kids. 

I would say, having more than proven his existence, that there's more evidence for him than against him...and that's approaching things scientifically, not spiritually.  And the spiritual approach is moot because it would yield more compelling evidence than any science ever will.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6593|132 and Bush

What happened before the Big Bang? What triggered the Big Bang? Humans do not have an answers for these questions. The only assumption we come to is time didn't exist.. so what created time? We must be part of something we don't understand. There is a reason it is called faith. It's a path people make in following the unknown. It still comes down to making a personal choice. Some of the worlds greatest scientist put great faith in the mindset of a creator. They have through out all of history (Newton comes to mind).
Xbone Stormsurgezz
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42

Kmarion wrote:

What happened before the Big Bang? What triggered the Big Bang? Humans do not have an answers for these questions. The only assumption we come to is time didn't exist.. so what created time? We must be part of something we don't understand. There is a reason it is called faith. It's a path people make in following the unknown. It still comes down to making a personal choice. Some of the worlds greatest scientist put great faith in the mindset of a creator. They have through out all of history (Newton comes to mind).
We put faith in the discoveries of the greatest scientists. 

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard