SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6784|Perth, Western Australia
Right, my first guide, here goes.

+Part 1+

Your Kit

The Spec Ops kit consists of 5 things: A knife, a silenced pistol, a carbine, some hand grenades, and 5 packs of c4.

Knife: Only good really if you want to be a sneaky smart ass, or if you are going for your Knife Badges, otherwise I dont really use it. If you see an enemy running off with his back to you, or if you see an enemy standing still who has not seen you, I would recomend just popping them with the carbine, as there id just to much risk, and potential humiliation in going for a knife kill and getting discovered, and promptly slaughtered.

Pistol: Well, its a pistol. But Silenced. Its a silenced Pistol!! Use it if you are trying to be stealthy whilst busting in, or if you run out of ammo in your carbine while in the thinck of fighting. Can also be used as a good psychological warfare tool, if you are just sitting in the bushes where the enemy cant see you or hear you, but he keeps on getting damaged.

Carbine: All of the carbine are great weapons, both for offense and defense. Each side has a slightly different one, but in the end they all serve the same purpose. The great thing about them is that you can rattle off a few shots on auto at medium range and you will find that most of them hit their mark. The five types are:

M4: This is the US carbine, its pretty much the middle ground between the other two standard carbines. Decent accuracy, good damage, and that somewhat fancy red dot scope make this a good choice for beginners. On a side note this weapon actually zooms in less than the other standard (non unlock) carbines. 4 shots to kill unarmoured, 6 to kill armoured.

AK-74u: The MEC carbine does more damage than all of the other carbines, even the unlocks. How ever, what it gains in damage it loses in accuracy, and despite the red dot scope it is the least accurate of all of the carbines. However, despite the lesser accuracy this weapon zooms in more than all of the other carbines in the game, aoart from the QBZ-97, which it ties with. 4 shots to kill unarmoured, 5 to kill armoured.

QBZ-97: The Chinese carbine is the most accurate of all of the carbines in the game, even with out the token red dot scope that so many poeple love. While the lack of scope may be off putting to some it is important to remember that the gun actually zooms in as far as the AK-74u when using iron sights.4 shots to kill unarmoured, 6 to kill armoured.

G36C (first tier unlock): This is the special forces weapon of choice for most players. It has a good fire rate, good accuracy, and is extremely lethal in the hands of a competent player. With this gun it is quite easy to dispatch an enemy from afar with a single burst of fire. It is well balanced, being a formidable force at long range on single shot mode, and deadly at close quarters in full auto. 4 shots to kill unarmoured, 6 to kill armoured.

SCAR-L (second tier unlock): This does more damage than the G36C, but is, however, less accurate. It has the red dot scope but is not as good at making multiple shots at longer range. Use if you are American or Chinese and want more fire power at a closer range. 4 shots to kill unarmoured, 5 to kill armoured.

Out of those you should be open to swapping weapons for different situations. Some of the unlocks give a distinct advantage over the basic weapons, such as the PKM over the standard support weapons, but the carbines are all well balanced, and you should really use all of them evenly.

Grenades: Grenades are great for taking out groups of enemies, blowing holes in fences, and doing damage to stationary vehicles, such as the people that use FAV as machine gun turrets. Use at your own disgretion though, as people are fairly heavy handed with the punish button when they are team killed with them.

C4: It is this weapon that sets you apart from other classes ladies and gentlemen. The humble C4 has many uses in this game. The most popular is definately to blow up tanks and enemy armour at close range. More on this in the strategies section. It can also be used to blow up enemy assets, and certain players use C4 as grenades, hurling them at the enemy and then quickly switching to detonator. Another technique, which fails more often than not, is placing the C4 at CPs, and waiting for enemies to attack so you can set it off.

+Part 2+

Strategies

The great thing about being Special Forces is that you are both an offensive and a defensive class. Here are some strategies that might just work for you as special forces:

General Strageties

Pulling a swift one: This technique works mostly on wide open maps, such as Fushe Pass, Zetar Wetlands and Daqing Oilfields. This involves commandeering one of your teams transport vehicles (preferably one of the jeeps, not a mini van), and going around where the main action is, in order to pull one of the enemies bases out from under them. Things to remember while doing this are to stop off a bit before you get to the enmy base, in order to silently infiltrate it. Try not to shoot anyone not facing you, as they will most probably leave and head out to where the action is. After you have captured the point stick around for a bit, or request UAV, in order to scan the base for enemies that are left over.

Counter Pulling a swift one: If you are in a base that has just been capped after you have spawned, here is what you do. You run. Not far mind you, just until you are out of the base, and no one has seen you. Wait for a bit until the encroaching tank (its always a tank when this happens to me) or soldiers move on, and then follow the second half on the instructions for Pulling a Swift One. However it should be noted that if there is just a single foe, or two, if you think you can take them both, capturing the base on foot, then it might be better for you to just shoot them instead of skulking off.

C4 Usage

The tank take down: The main important part of this is that the tank or apc should under no cicumstances be facing you when you dash at it. Simply whack two c4 on it and back off a fair distance. If they have seen you you had best dive behind something and blow it up. If the enemy sees you coming, but you are out of their firing line (ie too close to the tank\apc) they will often get out and try to do a runner. just back off and blow the c4 anyway, as most times this will kill them anyway, and if it doesnt it will disorientate them enough to make them an easy target.

Blowing up enemy assets: C4 is the only weapon in the game that can effectively deal with enemy commander assets. Each object requires 2 C4 to be placed on it, and you get one point for blowing an object up. The best way to do this is action movie style. Slam into the enemy base (it should be at a point in the match when it is deserted, like a few minutes after the start) in some form of vehicle, (preferably smoking for that action movie effect), plant the c4 on the commader most important assets, and steal some form of high tech limo to get out (a jet, a helicopter, another jeep, whatever it takes). Seeing as without support you will only be able to blow up 2 of the enemies assets, you should probably go for the most important, the UAV hut and the radar scan. Some of you may be leaning towrds the artillery, but without the scanning ability the commander will not have a clue where to drop it, and will have to rely on slowly manually scanning the map. A word of advice for any opportunistic players, who have the notion (like I once did) that you can hang around the enemy base just waiting for the enemy commander to drop supplies so you can re arm while the asset repairs, so you can blow it up again. It doesnt work. Eventually the commander gets so pissed off that he will just come after you. In a chopper. Or an APC. It wont work.

Jihad Jeeping: This is quite probably the most effective anti tank technique in the game, and if used probably you might just survive it too. It involves a player commandeering a jeep, and taking it somewhere (hopefully nearby), where no other player will enter it. You then put C4 on the bumper of your jeep. Some prefer to put it on the wheels for that pimping look whe the tires spin. The amount of C4 that is to be placed on the vehicle will vary according to which player you ask, but the general concensus is that you should place all of your C4 on the jeep. You the drive the jeep at an enemy armour vehicle, and get out before you get to the vehicle, allowing the vehicles momentum to carry it to within the blast radius of the armour. It is better to get out of the jeep later rather than earlier if you are not feelin confident of your timing, as this allows you to leg it while the tank panics. When you are a same distance away you blow the C4, presumably (and hopefully) taking the tank with it.

You role in a squad

As A Squad Leader: As a squad leader you should really be leading from the back. I know this sounds cowardly, but hey, you are a spawn point. Being Spec Ops is not the ideal class to be as a squad leader, as you really have no team oriented advantages over the other classes which could help you to stay alive. If you want to be an effective squad leader be a medic, or a sniper, or even support.

As a squad member: However, the spec ops class can make a devastating squad member. This is because they have Anti Armour capabilities (their C4), and a viscious carbine as their primary weapon, which allow them to effectively support their squad.

+Part 3+

Conclusion

Remember that in a game you should not always stick to one role within your class. You should regularly change from attack to defense, or be on the move with a squad doing what your commander says. Have fun out there, and just remember that if your Chinese, your even better at being a Spec Ops master, because you've got that cool red beret on your head!

Last edited by SharkyMcshark (2007-03-30 23:58:26)

Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6739

nice guide. i liked it. pesonally im not a spec ops guy(sniper mainly), but if i do go spec ops the G36C owns with some good aiming..
chuyskywalker
Admin
+2,439|6846|"Frisco"

I'd like you to cover Jihad jeeping, base mining, c4 grenading, and all the things a C4 person is good for. They are part of the game, and part of the class -- leaving them out and adding in these watery "general tactics" sections to a SpecOps Guide doesn't make it a good guide. In fact, it simply neglects -- for better or worse -- things that you WILL encounter people doing. Hiding them doesn't make them stop.

Essentially, the a spec ops guide I would consider complete would be one that has a heavy focus on the C4 Usage section and expands slightly more on the Your role in a squad section. The coverage of the various weapons was great (fill out the SCAR info from other sources, if you need).
najevi
+0|6314
Once you have destroyed an enemy asset (eg UAV hut or Radar Scanner) what causes the asset to be reinstated?

For a while there I thought that so long as I stayed alive the asset stayed destroyed but it seems that they do repair themselves eventually.

Can an engineer soldier come along and repair damaged assets?
Skorpy-chan
+127|6343|Twyford, UK
Yes, yes they can. Also, supply crates repair them, albeit slowly.

But countering a spec ops sneaky bastard is one hell of a good way to point-whore as engineer. Hop in the tank (one usually spawns), and trundle around fixing them, blasting incoming guys, and basically denying them the tank.
deathpunker
+1|6310
Nice hehe I dont make pimp jeeps pimp the window man
toutinette
+2|6258|Canada
the prob with spec ops is that the gun isnt great and C4 on tank is sometimes about luck lol
KrisPOLANDnorwida
Battlefield 2 killa'
+128|6326|SHAPE, Belgium
You just copied it from a different website. No big deal. I already saw that on a different site.

Last edited by KrisPOLANDnorwida (2007-03-21 05:10:28)

Flakturnal
+21|6440|Perth,WA

SharkyMcshark wrote:

SCAR-L (second tier unlock): This does more damage than the G36C, but is, however, less accurate. It has the red dot scope but is not as good at making multiple shits at longer range. Use if you are American or Chinese and want more fire power at a closer range. 4 shots to kill unarmoured, 5 to kill armoured.
that's awesome
RavyGravy
Son.
+617|6404|NSW, Australia

Flakturnal wrote:

SharkyMcshark wrote:

SCAR-L (second tier unlock): This does more damage than the G36C, but is, however, less accurate. It has the red dot scope but is not as good at making multiple shits at longer range. Use if you are American or Chinese and want more fire power at a closer range. 4 shots to kill unarmoured, 5 to kill armoured.
that's awesome
lol
SharkyMcshark
I'll take two
+132|6784|Perth, Western Australia

KrisPOLANDnorwida wrote:

You just copied it from a different website. No big deal. I already saw that on a different site.
No. I didn't. I wrote this guide at the tail end of 2005 when I was bored and on holidays. The only other plcae it was posted was on the forums of my clan, before they got reset on our new website.

<<<FTDM>>>Gen.Raven wrote:

Flakturnal wrote:

SharkyMcshark wrote:

that's awesome
lol
Haha my bad
~FuzZz~
.yag era uoy fi siht deaR
+422|6321|Orrstrayleea
Well done, although i prefer (only if its a LAN between friends or my piss-people-off-acount) to jihad copter, pimpin the blades on that looks soooooo cool
Seaneroo
+12|6656
"If the enemy sees you coming, but you are out of their firing line (ie too close to the tank\apc) they will often get out and try to do a runner. just back off and blow the c4 anyway, as most times this will kill them anyway, and if it doesnt it will disorientate them enough to make them an easy target."

I disagree.  Better to steal the guy's armor.  Not only is it a more effective tactic, it is totally humiliating for the person whose ride you just stole.
benzoenator
+4|6236

Seaneroo wrote:

"If the enemy sees you coming, but you are out of their firing line (ie too close to the tank\apc) they will often get out and try to do a runner. just back off and blow the c4 anyway, as most times this will kill them anyway, and if it doesnt it will disorientate them enough to make them an easy target."

I disagree.  Better to steal the guy's armor.  Not only is it a more effective tactic, it is totally humiliating for the person whose ride you just stole.
Agreed.

Also, when you're taking out the commander's assets, I often lay low for a bit, until he deploys the supply drop. Assuming you haven't wasted your remaining C4 after taking out both assets, you can C4 the supply crate, rendering the commander one annoyed guy.
Seaneroo
+12|6656

benzoenator wrote:

Seaneroo wrote:

Agreed.

Also, when you're taking out the commander's assets, I often lay low for a bit, until he deploys the supply drop. Assuming you haven't wasted your remaining C4 after taking out both assets, you can C4 the supply crate, rendering the commander one annoyed guy.
Or you can wait til the crate repairs the asset, then blow it up again.
Weh-Weh
DUDE
+2|6196|Reno, NV
Yah, using the spec ops kit for squad leader isn't half bad on the mashtuur insomnia map. I usually spawn spec ops if I plan on being a solo squad leader and hope to hell that at least 2 or 3 ppl half way decent join later. It's just nice to go straight for the enemy artillery and defend from that position to piss off everyone. The only other tactic I didn't hear anyone make mention of was hiding out at copter pads when you've already set all 5 charges on it and waiting for 6 people to jump in to blow them sky high! Oh yah, you can also avoid getting run over by placing a C4 on the ground and detonating as soon as they come in range. If ya notice the vehicle stopped in it's tracks make sure that before deploying the C4 that you are close to cover.
Naro
+3|6168
is it possible to only use a part of your c4, and then switch to the detonator??
or do you need to plant it all?
JG1567JG
+110|6587|United States of America

Naro wrote:

is it possible to only use a part of your c4, and then switch to the detonator??
you can plant just one or however many and then right click to switch to the detonator.  Be careful when you place your last C4 not to accidently hit the button twice or you will blow yourself up.
JoshCooper
+20|6327|Stoke

JG1567JG wrote:

Naro wrote:

you can plant just one or however many and then right click to switch to the detonator.  Be careful when you place your last C4 not to accidently hit the button twice or you will blow yourself up.
hehe ive done that many times
markzed
+5|6379
I feel like I've achieved something when I've caused a big stir at the enemy's uncap.
Even though you don't have many points to show for it, you know that you've either;

a) Occupied the time of 5+ enemy dudes while they try to hunt you down.
b) Temporarily blinded the commander and thus his troops.

In the meantime our troops are taking flags. It gives me the warm and fuzzies.
When you make a point of going back repeatedly, you can even tie up a few enemy solely on base defence for the duration of the map.

Hunting down the commander, while fun, is pretty risky so I wouldn't recommend it for the faint hearted.

Last edited by markzed (2007-07-15 05:31:57)

sierralima6
+0|6318

Seaneroo wrote:

I also agree to this. I have been on the losers end of this a couple of times and I can almost see my soldier blush...
[pt] KEIOS
srs bsns
+231|6651|pimelteror.de
how about including some good spots for c4-laming, like the stairs in the tv-station on warlord, or how to get on roofs on ff=off servers?
confused
+10|6392|British Columbia

sierralima6 wrote:

Seaneroo wrote:

I also agree to this. I have been on the losers end of this a couple of times and I can almost see my soldier blush...
I'd disagree.  Spec-Ops can't operate as spec-ops in a tank.  If you have teammates near, one could take the tank.  But, I think spec-ops should remain in a position to use their kit.  If you are in the middle of nowhere and the tank can carry you back to the aciton, stealing is a good idea though.
IRONCHEF
+385|6489|Northern California
I would add to the JIHAD jeep attack that you whould place your C4 on the front of the jeep (2 for armor, 3 for assets) and before entering the Jeep, right click to get into detonator mode so when you exit the jeep later, you're ready to detonate.  Of course this is only if you intend to truly jihad that shit!  People think it's sooo hard to jump out at the last second and take those 2 steps backwards to safety before detonating, but it's not..especially when you've already got the detonator in your hand ready.
Korny09
+8|6271|Ohio
I agree that the squad leader should be at the back of the squad.  But I may add, next to a medic preferably.  The medics role is to keep the squad leader alive.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard