Protecus
Prophet of Certain Certainties
+28|6514
https://www.csh.rit.edu/~topher/jokes/hands%20free%20cell%20phone.jpg
A recent report by a leading British neurosurgeon claims that the exponential increase in cell phone usage over the past decade could kill more people than asbestos, or even the current King of Cancer, smoking.

Mobile phones could kill far more people than smoking or asbestos, a study by an award-winning cancer expert has concluded. He says people should avoid using them wherever possible and that governments and the mobile phone industry must take "immediate steps" to reduce exposure to their radiation.

Professor Khurana – a top neurosurgeon who has received 14 awards over the past 16 years, has published more than three dozen scientific papers – reviewed more than 100 studies on the effects of mobile phones. He has put the results on a brain surgery website, and a paper based on the research is currently being peer-reviewed for publication in a scientific journal.

It draws on growing evidence – exclusively reported in the IoS in October – that using handsets for 10 years or more can double the risk of brain cancer. Cancers take at least a decade to develop, invalidating official safety assurances based on earlier studies which included few, if any, people who had used the phones for that long.
We have been hearing for years that the cell phones could be a source for cancer, but it appears the warnings could be more substantial than first thought.

Is this a significant threat that should be confronted face forward?

Or is this just another Killer Bee scare?

The article
motherdear
+25|6644|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
is it worth the risk.

yes so who the fuck cares (no offense to you at all, it just seems dumb to stop using cell phones)
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6685
So, what are we supposed to do? Society has become so dependent on mobile phones.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2008-03-30 17:43:17)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6677|United States of America
It's one's own fault, just like smoking. I don't use my cell phone very often at all, but if one does use it a lot and is really paranoid about cancer, there are always steps that can be taken to decrease the risk from exposure.
Runs_with_sciss0rs
Well butter my buscuit
+121|6184|14072
Wow, I got one of the chain text message with that picture and some saying.. It was called "Black tooth"

Back on topic... I'm not going to worry about it. I barely use my cell phone for talking.. mostly text.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6431|King Of The Islands

Our flashy cell phones / Make people mumble, "Gee whiz" / "Look how important he is" / "His life must rule" / You'll get a tumor / But on your surgery day / The doc will see it and say / "Wow, you must really be cool"
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Protecus
+28|6514

Superior Mind wrote:

So, what are we supposed to do? Society has become so dependent on mobile phones.
The point of the article isn't to scare the public away from cell phones. Merely to A) make people more aware of the risk of using a cell phone and B) call for better made cell phones so they are not as dangerous.

Noting that malignant brain tumours represent "a life-ending diagnosis", he adds: "We are currently experiencing a reactively unchecked and dangerous situation." He fears that "unless the industry and governments take immediate and decisive steps", the incidence of malignant brain tumours and associated death rate will be observed to rise globally within a decade from now, by which time it may be far too late to intervene medically.

DesertFox- wrote:

It's one's own fault, just like smoking. I don't use my cell phone very often at all, but if one does use it a lot and is really paranoid about cancer, there are always steps that can be taken to decrease the risk from exposure.
Unlike smoking, very few people think of a cell phone as dangerous. Considering half the American population has trouble spelling radiation, I doubt this risk is at the fore front of anyones mind.

It's more likely that, 10 years down the road, there will be a sudden spike through the rood of brain cancer patients wondering what the hell happened, never once thinking their trusty blackberry was to blame.

Its better we note the risk now and start changing the technology while the damage can be kept at a minimum.

Or should we have just deemed our society so dependent on asbestos and lead paint that there is no way to ever move past them?
Phrozenbot
+632|6608|do not disturb

Superior Mind wrote:

We got along just fine without them.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6563|USA

Protecus wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

The point of the article isn't to scare the public away from cell phones. Merely to A) make people more aware of the risk of using a cell phone and B) call for better made cell phones so they are not as dangerous.

Noting that malignant brain tumours represent "a life-ending diagnosis", he adds: "We are currently experiencing a reactively unchecked and dangerous situation." He fears that "unless the industry and governments take immediate and decisive steps", the incidence of malignant brain tumours and associated death rate will be observed to rise globally within a decade from now, by which time it may be far too late to intervene medically.

DesertFox- wrote:

Unlike smoking, very few people think of a cell phone as dangerous. Considering half the American population has trouble spelling radiation, I doubt this risk is at the fore front of anyones mind.

It's more likely that, 10 years down the road, there will be a sudden spike through the rood of brain cancer patients wondering what the hell happened, never once thinking their trusty blackberry was to blame.

Its better we note the risk now and start changing the technology while the damage can be kept at a minimum.

Or should we have just deemed our society so dependent on asbestos and lead paint that there is no way to ever move past them?
that article is ten fucking years old. be relevant.

besides...i have trouble imagining it takes 12th grade competence to read a life insurance policy....
RoosterCantrell
Goodbye :)
+399|6472|Somewhere else

Well, what's even more fun, is the fact that compared to 100 years ago, there are thousands of different types of energy waves pulsing through your body this very moment.  I am sure that's something the body loves too.

Not too mention all the unnatural chemicals, steriods, and preservatives in all the food we eat.   This is intersting, but just add it to the long ass list of shit that's damaging us everyday.
Protecus
+28|6514

Ender2309 wrote:

besides...i have trouble imagining it takes 12th grade competence to read a life insurance policy....
1998, 2008, doesn't make any difference. Its not like the stats are going anywhere.

With the federal spending priorities in the last 10 years, what made you think the numbers would change at all?

Considering the President of ProLiteracy Worldwide has little hope for our will to read, looks like I was as relevant as I needed to be.
Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6563|USA

Protecus wrote:

Ender2309 wrote:

1998, 2008, doesn't make any difference. Its not like the stats are going anywhere.

With the federal spending priorities in the last 10 years, what made you think the numbers would change at all?

Considering the President of ProLiteracy Worldwide has little hope for our will to read, looks like I was as relevant as I needed to be.
...it does matter, but thanks for the better link. i rescind my previous point.
Sorcerer0513
+18|6534|Outer Space
Hmmm. I was under the impression that mobile phone radiation is non-ionizing. So it does not have enough energy to damage the DNA, like the ionizing radiation.

So does it do anything else besides raising the body temperature? It shouldn't be able to do any damage by itself, should it? And isn't the body able to compensate for that increased temperature with increased bloodflow through the area(not counting the people that talk on the mobile for a couple of hours of course)? Does that increase in temperature causes an increased cancer risk?

Some further reading here. Do we have any physicists on here? Any other known effect of non-ionizing radiation?
kylef
Gone
+1,352|6485|N. Ireland
Frankly, it seems just about anything and everything can give you cancer. We'd all still be cavemen (and women) if we didn't expand and grow our knowledge.

Fine, phones will kill us all. But some of us need our phones; so come on, "stop-the-rays" groups - make a safe phone. I'm sure it'll target millions..

Last edited by kylef (2008-03-31 02:29:46)

Enzzenmachine
+20|6338
I'm very skeptical about some stuff said in this article.

"that using handsets for 10 years or more can double the risk of brain cancer"

well doubling doesn't mean anything. Doubling 50 isn't the same than doubling 0.0000000001. Doubling a very little risk doesn't change anything. Also if you aren't constantly using your cell phone or doesn't hold it constantly, the risk are almost non existant.

"Mobile phones could kill far more people than smoking or asbestos, a study by an award-winning cancer expert has concluded"

pretty hard to believe in, award-winning or not. Radiations are everywhere and each second we're exposed to many of them. Smoking is directly linked to millions and millions of deaths per month.

don't get me wrong, cell phone and anything similar to them do affect us but overestimating the things isn't necessary. I could say the wifi you're currently using does affect you also so what, we can't go back to the stone age.

Last edited by Enzzenmachine (2008-03-31 04:01:51)

The#1Spot
+105|6532|byah
Meh its another way for cigarette companies to cover their ass once again
ghettoperson
+1,943|6641

Am I going to get nut cancer from keeping a phone in my pocket?

*quickly removes phone from pocket*
PuckMercury
6 x 9 = 42
+298|6519|Portland, OR USA
I neither subscribe or unsubscribe to this particular cancer causing agent, but I have to wonder.  In 200 years when we're looked back upon, how hard will everyone laugh at us given how much we're irradiating ourselves?  Think about it.  Waves are energy.  Be it perceptable or receivable, it's still there.  Microwave transmitters, radio waves, orbital communications, cell phones, wifi, bluetooth.  All of these ambient waves are blasting our bodies at all times.  How could there NOT be some manner of consequence to all this?  Am I saying to go live in a lead lined cave?  No - but there's no arguing that it'd be a hell of a lot healthier for you.  No, our brains aren't directly receiving and decoding these waves (how do those songs get stuck in your head?  Yuck yuck) but our bodies are still absorbing and buffering these energies.  It's mind boggling to think about really.
IRONCHEF
+385|6483|Northern California
holy INTERNETS NOOB ALERT!!  guess I'm the only hoax-savvy noob on the internets these days...
Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6534|Texas - Bigger than France

PuckMercury wrote:

I neither subscribe or unsubscribe to this particular cancer causing agent, but I have to wonder.  In 200 years when we're looked back upon, how hard will everyone laugh at us given how much we're irradiating ourselves?  Think about it.  Waves are energy.  Be it perceptable or receivable, it's still there.  Microwave transmitters, radio waves, orbital communications, cell phones, wifi, bluetooth.  All of these ambient waves are blasting our bodies at all times.  How could there NOT be some manner of consequence to all this?  Am I saying to go live in a lead lined cave?  No - but there's no arguing that it'd be a hell of a lot healthier for you.  No, our brains aren't directly receiving and decoding these waves (how do those songs get stuck in your head?  Yuck yuck) but our bodies are still absorbing and buffering these energies.  It's mind boggling to think about really.
oh crap - michael jackson is right
Snake
Missing, Presumed Dead
+1,046|6558|England

Phrozenbot wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

We got along just fine without them.
Same with TV's, computers, electricity, gas, running water, stereos, cars, aircraft....

Problem is, we all crave them, and to abolish them, would really piss off the humanatarian and freedom supporters (and everyone else I suppose ). I dont think any of the "civilised world" could imagine life without a car, or holidays abroad in a matter of hours without a 7month sail around a continent.
If fuel prices going up a couple of pence sparks protests...imagine what cutting all of this technology would do
Braddock
Agitator
+916|6282|Éire
In the Irish news today it said moves were being made by several bodies to convince the Government to impose a ban on the use of mobile phones on under 10 year olds!
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6767|Noizyland

They're always flip-flopping over this one. Either way, who gives a shit? Everything causes cancer! Cooking your food causes cancer but I won't be stoping that any time soon.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Freke1
I play at night... mostly
+47|6539|the best galaxy
Found this article: Mobile phone use 'raises children's risk of brain cancer fivefold'
link: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien … 37005.html

radiation kinda sucks no?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/7d11696e2ffd4edeff06466095e98b0fab37462c.png
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5694|College Park, MD
probably a higher chance of dying in a car crash while driving at high speeds than dying from cell phone cancer.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard