killaer
+41|6717
Really, it's getting kind of annoying. Look, if you like Hardcore modes, that's good and fine. But I want a mode where I can actually have a HUD, and where it takes a few more bullets to kill. I just prefer it that way.

I wouldn't be complaining if CoD4 didn't have such a shitty server browser. The filter options are terrible, and it would be really simple to impliment a feature that would separate the servers as Hardcore Only and Regular Only.
Is there any way to actually filter which servers are HC and which ones are not? I have to go down the damn server list reading every server's name for "HC" or "HARDCORE" in it.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6574|London
YES, couldn't agree more. The filters need to be sorted, until then though people know the server browser sucks so they should include HC in the name if it's a hardcore server, simple as. I hate having to disconnect from 10 servers in a row because they're all hardcore.

Last edited by Aries_37 (2008-03-23 09:19:21)

Guerilla08
+7|5886
Yea if they can make that new kill cam ,you think they would be able to put in a filter for HC servers.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
Server browser is a steaming pile of shit, full stop. Even when it comes to performing its basic task of actually generating a server-list it fails 50% of the time. It either spends 10 minutes giving me a scattered list of servers with 1000+ pings, or it chokes out the rest of my Internet connection and causes all of my other Internet services (e.g. Xfire, MSN, Steam) to time-out and lose connection.

And yes- it really was pure stupidity to not implement a filter for Hardcore / Non-Hardcore. You can choose if you filter out Killcam On/Off, PB On/Off, and even if the server has Friendly Fire enabled or not... but you can't filter between the two fundamental types of gameplay (I say two because Old-School and the others are barely used on PC). It's ridiculous. What's even funnier is that there's no news about server-browser fixes on the next patch... Infinity Ward are too busy recycling the only good map they've ever produced - Carentan - in order to try and drag out CoD4's ailing lifespan.

gg.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Commie Killer
+192|6386
I like the server browser, but yeah, I wish you could choose Hardcore/Regular/Old School.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6155|Vancouver | Canada
Well I prefer HC, but when I want to play a normal match, it is annoying.
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6741|FUCK UBISOFT

Uzique wrote:

Infinity Ward are too busy recycling the only good map they've ever produced - Carentan - in order to try and drag out CoD4's ailing lifespan.
TBH harbor was better.

what did they call it in cod2 again?
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
David.P
Banned
+649|6273

Miggle wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Infinity Ward are too busy recycling the only good map they've ever produced - Carentan - in order to try and drag out CoD4's ailing lifespan.
TBH harbor was better.

what did they call it in cod2 again?
Rostov i think.
Bernadictus
+1,055|6736

Uzique wrote:

Server browser is a steaming pile of shit, full stop. Even when it comes to performing its basic task of actually generating a server-list it fails 50% of the time. It either spends 10 minutes giving me a scattered list of servers with 1000+ pings, or it chokes out the rest of my Internet connection and causes all of my other Internet services (e.g. Xfire, MSN, Steam) to time-out and lose connection.

And yes- it really was pure stupidity to not implement a filter for Hardcore / Non-Hardcore. You can choose if you filter out Killcam On/Off, PB On/Off, and even if the server has Friendly Fire enabled or not... but you can't filter between the two fundamental types of gameplay (I say two because Old-School and the others are barely used on PC). It's ridiculous. What's even funnier is that there's no news about server-browser fixes on the next patch... Infinity Ward are too busy recycling the only good map they've ever produced - Carentan - in order to try and drag out CoD4's ailing lifespan.

gg.
I have never had any issues relating to the server browser. Well yes, loading 19000+ servers might take a while, but I never experienced the crap you just - so diplomatically- brought to our attention.
Plus, what is against hardcore? I hate the 'normal' mode. How can people survive a .50 caliber to the chest? Hardcore is the only reason CoD4 is still as active as it is.
Aries_37
arrivederci frog
+368|6574|London

Bernadictus wrote:

Uzique wrote:

gg.
I have never had any issues relating to the server browser. Well yes, loading 19000+ servers might take a while, but I never experienced the crap you just - so diplomatically- brought to our attention.
Plus, what is against hardcore? I hate the 'normal' mode. How can people survive a .50 caliber to the chest? Hardcore is the only reason CoD4 is still as active as it is.
Meh it's very much a thing of taste. For me I can't play without a HUD, the extra damage can be nice, but minimap and crosshairs are just essential in an FPS.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6323|New Haven, CT
I love not having crosshairs, to be honest. I beat the campaign with them off.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
Bernadictus: It's not an argument about realism. Who the hell cares if you couldn't survive a .50 calibre shot to the chest in real-life? In real-life soldiers deployed to the Middle-East aren't kitted out with 'Auto-Jihad' grenades or gold-plated Russian assault rifles-- irregardless of their own faction. The server-browser criticism is based around the fact that you can't distinguish between realism and non-realism modes. I'm not going to get into a debate on the pro's and cons of hardcore/non-hardcore... the simple fact is that if the server-browser was designed with any thought or logic, - then the two camps of fanboys would never have to meet or conflict in the first place. Sorry, was I not eloquent enough for you? I'll post my next rant as an elegy in a finely-crafted poetic metre .

I'm not the only person experiencing the server-browser inconsistencies and problems either. It's not an isolated problem. The Infinity Ward forums are littered with threads complaining about various issues and side-effects such as the ones that I described in my previous post: connection dropouts, slowness, poor server-list generation etc. These are all problems that didn't even occur once in Call of Duty 1 / Call of Duty 2... how can they do such a poor job when they didn't even have to change anything from the originals?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Defiance
+438|6670

I agree that the server browser should have a HC/Nor/OS mode filter. Maybe in the next patch. However, this thread is so quickly jumping in to a hardcore or not hardcore discussion which, easy as it is, is just going to take this thread in to a flame war (Uzique, you've cast the first personal stone.. I say ironically).

It's already happened before, play what mode you like and leave it at that. And hope for some browser upgrades, but as it stands it's not a big deal apart from a small annoyance. I happen to notice far more normal servers then anything, as I tend to look for hardcore. It could just be a placebo and an annoyance built up over time.

Last edited by Defiance (2008-03-23 13:15:05)

killaer
+41|6717
Yeah, here's to hoping that they fix the browser in the next patch. Let's not start talking about which mode is better, it all depends on your preferences.
{M5}Sniper3
Typical white person.
+389|6759|San Antonio, Texas
I always play HC, I accidentally joined a regular server and I was like wtf cross-hairs... And bunny hopping everywhere, and people surviving 3 .50 cal bullets to the chest.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6323|New Haven, CT
Yeah, I've come to like HC a lot more than regular.
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6564|Area 51
Hardcore is more fun.
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6510|Gold Coast
There are some HC servers around, but majority are normal modes.
I dont mind HC tbh. I just use weapons with a RDS.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
aj0404
It'll just be our little secret
+298|6349|Iowa...

KuSTaV wrote:

There are some HC servers around, but majority are normal modes.
no they aren't.if that were the case it wouldn't be nearly as frustrating as it is.
SamTheMan:D
Banned
+856|5973|England

every server i pick is softcore
MAGUIRE93
High Angle Hell
+182|6193|Schofield Barracks
on 360 you choose games by picking the game mode.
its better than PC.
Lieutenant_Jensen
Your cops are corrupt.
+200|6390|fåking denmark

RDMC wrote:

Hardcore is more fun.
QFT
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6529

Bernadictus wrote:

Uzique wrote:

gg.
LOL that's why cal and all the major leagues aren't playing HC. Yes TWL is because TWL is fail.
killaer
+41|6717
Guys, this isn't a thread about if HC or Normal are better. It's a thread about the server browser not being able to filter between the two.
StormEye
Sniper
+50|6644|Malibu
I had problems with server browser for some time as well (to be more specific, ever since the 1.5 patch). The lack of usability of filter is another problem that needs to be solved. It also is a little annoying that when joining a server, thinking that it is normal (or HC) and it turns out to be otherwise.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard